https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I hate Southern Rail

Started by Southcoastffc, September 07, 2017, 04:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Saturday 9 September 2017

All day

Services will be diverted and unable to call at stations between Purley and Salfords. Replacement buses will operate between Purley and Horley calling at intermediate stations via Redhill.

Buses will replace trains between Redhill and Tonbridge / Reigate.

No Southern trains will operate between Clapham Junction and Watford Junction / Milton Keynes.

From approx. 20:00

Buses will replace trains between Haywards Heath and Lewes via Plumpton.

Buses will replace trains between Lewes and Polegate / Seaford.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Keynsham

jarv

Vote the tories out next time and maybe it will all be re-nationalised. All those years ago, when I used trains, they were wonderful but maybe a little bit dirty.

General

How much extra time does that add to the journey?

west kowloon white

How strange - I seem to remember British Railways being dire.

epsomraver

Quote from: west kowloon white on September 07, 2017, 08:25:27 PM
How strange - I seem to remember British Railways being dire.
0001.jpeg Blame the RMT for standing in the way of progress

Jonaldiniho 88

I have just moved onto the southern rail line and I'm a lot closer to town than you but it's a joke. Every weekend the system is not running, getting to the Cardiff game once again will be a nightmare. I actually did a job for a guy who was trying to fight back and said the amount of people who have lost their jobs, even had divorces due to the disruption is sad to hear. I don't want to get too political about it, but surely it's the government's duty to put this right. It's not like we aren't paying through the roof for a rolls Royce service but receiving a replacement bus service.

filham

Well I don't see how to avoid being political, the hard fact is we all  suffer with  the major privatised outfits, Electricity, Gas, Telephones and Railways. I guess Water is possibly not too bad.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: jarv on September 07, 2017, 07:00:37 PM
Vote the tories out next time and maybe it will all be re-nationalised. All those years ago, when I used trains, they were wonderful but maybe a little bit dirty.

When they were nationalised under Labour, the railways were even in worse shape than they are now.
Keep the Loony Left out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

The railways are getting better (really!). It's just that prices are going up extortionately as well. I'm so glad I don't have to travel into London daily any more, I dread to think what it would cost now.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

To me behind all the nonsense is that Southern Rail want to make more massive profits. To not have guards goes someway towards this. Just keep the guards and get on with it. The impasse has now reached a point when neither side wants to look the loser. it is a disgrace, failing Grayling should sort it out. Get in there, bang a few few heads like Mo Mowlem did in Northern Ireland.
When it was British Rail it should have been run properly, who was not doing their job properly then? Hopeless. Grrr.

092.gif

Southdowns White

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 07, 2017, 04:02:35 PM

All day

Services will be diverted and unable to call at stations between Purley and Salfords. Replacement buses will operate between Purley and Horley calling at intermediate stations via Redhill.

No Southern trains will operate between Clapham Junction and Watford Junction / Milton Keynes.

Can you not get a lift? Where do you live, there are definitely supporters from Eastbourne, Brighton and Worthing areas who travel up. 

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Southdowns White on September 08, 2017, 08:33:49 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 07, 2017, 04:02:35 PM

All day

Can you not get a lift? Where do you live, there are definitely supporters from Eastbourne, Brighton and Worthing areas who travel up. 
Thanks for the thought.  Yes I can and will probably drive up myself now.  But bl***y S Rail continually mess up people's lives.  In answer to Holders ('trains are getting better') these strikes have been going on since APRIL 2016.  And apart from the strikes, what we used to call Work to Rule has been going on even longer, and below the radar so that the abysmal service barely gets reported.  I know people who live in Sussex who used to commute but now rent rooms in London Mon-Thurs nights just so that they can keep their jobs! And I'm not talking about well-paid jobs either.  The damage to family life is incalculable.   Suppose you're a youngster who applies for a job in London and the employer realises you'll need S rail to get to work - will you or someone on a different commuter route get it? 

Whatever the rights and wrongs (I'll keep my views to myself) of the dispute, Government MUST get involved and sort it! Grayling is an absolute disgrace.  Rant over.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

I am just pleased I go to matches by Horse & Cart.

Never forget your Roots.

ffc73

I empathise but in defence of Southern Rail.   093.gif

I believe that the reason Southern are not running the services listed is because Network Rail, who manage the track, are carrying out maintenance work.  This means that Southern Rail do not have rails to run their trains on.  This weekend is not a strike problem and a situation out of their control.

Posted by daily commuter and an annual season ticket holder of Southern Rail.

MJG

the whole Southern Rail issue is one of the reasons I cannot at this time justify moving down to the coast.
Its something me and other half want to do, but the uncertainty of commuter traveling just stops us. Also some companies in London will not take you on if based down there.
Needs sorting even if this issue is not Southern Rails problem.
Just the views of a long term fan

cmg

Quote from: FFC73 on September 08, 2017, 12:55:22 PM

This means that Southern Rail do not have rails to run their trains on. 

Pah! That's no excuse. Obviously not trying hard enough.

This is how the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway handled the problem.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: cmg on September 08, 2017, 01:08:58 PM
Quote from: FFC73 on September 08, 2017, 12:55:22 PM

This means that Southern Rail do not have rails to run their trains on. 

Pah! That's no excuse. Obviously not trying hard enough.

This is how the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway handled the problem.

They obviously know their stuff.

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

Statto, yes Amtrak can be good but ridiculously expensive. Boston to New York costs a fortune. I guess it could be where you live. When I visit UK, I am in Winchester and use trains all the time. The service is great there but the thing I don't get is the seating. Last summer I went Winchester to York. My allocated seat was taken by someone else. An old couple sitting together so I didn't want to be rude and sat somewhere else. At Oxford, I was asked to move. No problem but what happens when you run out of musical chairs? Be back again soon, home in time for the Derby game. 049:gif