more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (09/09/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 09, 2017, 06:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Cardiff City Preview: Three Questions with Inside Wales
After the long international break, Inside Wales stops by to talk about Cardiff's hot start.

Cardiff City is the hottest team in the league. We talk with Inside Wales Sport to see how they've done it, and whether they can keep it up.

Cottagers Confidential: You're undefeated and top of the table. Are you that good, or has it been more of a mixture of good form with a friendly schedule?

Inside Wales: It's always tough to say this early in the season, but it has to be said that Cardiff have made an excellent start to the season, and they deserve to be top. They were excellent against Wolves, who also enjoyed a good start, blew away Aston Villa and showed they could come from behind against QPR.

Will Cardiff win the league? probably not and City fans aren't getting ahead of themselves, but it's 12 points less needed to get in the top six and a long hard season ahead. Cardiff have played very well so far this season and they've answered every question asked of them, that won't always be the case this season, but there's a real strength in depth and a fantastic front three that no team has got to grips with just yet.

CC: What are the biggest changes to the team from last year?

Inside Wales: Warnock has added an abundance of pace to the front-line with Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, a player who has been a revelation so far, coming in alongside the brilliant Kenneth Zohore and reinvigorated Junior Hoilett. Loic Damour has been added to the midfield and he's another who has come from nowhere, but he's another work-hard player does a lot of running alongside Aron Gunnarsson to create space for the more creative Joe Ralls. Lee Tomlin is a very good technical player, but he's been in and out. New signings Danny Ward and Omar Bogle have had to be content with a spot on the bench. Neil Etheridge has been very good in goal, it has to be said, while Callum Paterson and Lee Camp will be out for a while with injuries.

Deadline day signing Craig Bryson will add some competition but you can expect he and Liam Feeney to start life at Cardiff on the bench.

There have been a fair few signings, but the core of the side which ended last season in fine form has remained and that's probably where Cardiff have benefited.

CC: Where do you expect to end the season?

IW: Cardiff are looking for a top six finish this season and a fantastic start doesn't change that. The Bluebirds have missed out on promotion every way imaginable, they've even lead for the first 10 or so weeks only to not win a game from November to January and then finish in the bottom half. Those sort of experience keep Cardiff fans grounded and Neil Warnock is very much the same. There's no doubt this team is capable of finishing in the top two after seeing the first four games, but being realistic, top six would be a great achievement given the ey spent again in the Championship this season. Cardiff have signed 10 in total, I believe, but spending is still only around £5 million. That's not a top six budget in this league anymore, so top six is the goal.

CC: Predicted lineup and score?

IW: Starting lineup: Etheridge, Peltier, Bamba, Morrison, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Damour, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Zohore.

Score: 1-1

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/9/8/16273950/fulham-vs-cardiff-city-preview-three-questions-inside-wales

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham Vs Cardiff City – All the team news and match facts as Warnock's men look to maintain perfect Championship record

Date and Time: Saturday 9th September (15:00)

Venue: Craven Cottage

Referee: Tony Harrington

Neil Warnock's men will be looking to maintain their perfect start to the season when they travel to Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Saturday afternoon.

Cardiff City have enjoyed a fantastic start to the Championship season and will hope to keep up the momentum when travelling to London to face Fulham on Saturday.

The Bluebirds are currently the only team in the Football League to have a 100% record and if they can earn three points against Slavisa Jokanovic's side, it will mean Warnock's men would have won six out of their first six Championship encounters.

It won't be easy by any means, though, with Fulham being tipped with promotion prior to the season starting and they certainly have players in their side which can hurt teams, which Ipswich Town found out.

They were the only other unbeaten team in the Championship before they were defeated 2-0 by the Cottagers prior to the International break.

Jokanovic has brought an attractive brand of football to Craven Cottage and at times are a joy to watch but they have endured a frustrating start to the Championship season so far.

The Whites currently sit in 14th position in the Championship table but will be looking to stop the Bluebirds impressive start to the season on Saturday evening as they did with Ipswich before the international break, winning 2-0.

Cardiff City have failed to defeat Fulham in the last four meeting between the two sides. The last team the Bluebirds were victorious was in 2015, a 1-0 home win when they returned to the traditional blue colour.

Cardiff City also recorded a double over Fulham in the Premier League – Jordan Mutch's last minute winner earning them three points at Craven Cottage. At the Cardiff City Stadium, the Bluebirds recorded a 3-1 victory over the Whites.

It is still early on in the Championship season but this is already a huge game for both teams. Both Jokanovic and Warnock will be desperate for three points in this early season clash, that's for sure.

Both sides also did business in the transfer window – the Bluebirds brining in Scottish international Craig Bryson from Derby County as well as Liam Feeney from Blackburn in two loan deals.

Fulham on the other hand brought in Yohan Mollo after he was made a free agent by Zenit St Petersberg in the summer after the sale of Sone Aluko to Reading for a reported £7.5 million.

It is vital Cardiff don't lose concentration and in another early test against one of the promotion favourites and this could go to show how good this Cardiff team really are and they will be backed by over 3,000 travelling supporters at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

Team News
Neil Warnock could keep the same side which recorded a 2-1 victory over Queens Park Rangers before the international break – Liam Feeney and Craig Bryson could occupy places on the bench for the Bluebirds.

Fulham on the other hand could give a debut to new man Yohan Mollo following his deadline day move to Craven Cottage.

Other than that, Slavisa Jokanovic could be without a whole host of names which include midfield maestro Tom Cairney, summer signing Rui Fonte and Chelsea loanee Lucas Piazon.

Neeskens Kebano and Sheyi Ojo complete Fulham's injury problems after featuring on international duty.l

RECENT MEETINGS
2017: Cardiff City 2-2 Fulham

2017: Cardiff City 1-2 Fulham

2016: Fulham 2-2 Cardiff City

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/match-preview-fulham-cardiff-city/

WhiteJC

No Dramas

It might seem unfair to label a player who only turned 17 in May with the tag of one of Fulham's star men, but Ryan Sessegnon isn't easily fazed.

After a sterling debut season with the Whites, the youngster has already created more headlines and column inches than some players do in a lifetime. Not that you'd know it. Quiet and unassuming, there's no hint of an ego with Ryan. But once he crosses that white line, he's a different entity entirely - as opposing teams can testify.

In his first-ever interview with the official matchday programme, he said: "The pressure and the labels people put on me honestly don't affect me. I see things now and then in the media but I don't go out of my way to look for it. I just focus on my job and that's playing for Fulham.

"My family, friends and just having good people around me ensure I keep my feet on the ground and stay level headed. I never get carried away. I've always been like that. If I have a few bits of success it's good, but I quickly move on."

To read the full interview with Sessegnon, get your hands on the programme on Saturday.

Other highlights from the magazine include:

Slaviša Jokanović and Tom Cairney pen their latest columns
    Les Barrett recalls a fine strike in a clash with Cardiff City
    Neeskens Kebano takes our nine-dart challenge
    Steve Earle revisits his famous hat-trick at Northampton Town
    Ernie Howe picks his Fulham 'Dream Team'
    And Gordon Davies discusses everything FFC

Priced £3.50, the 100-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from Programme Master where you can also purchase an annual subscription and past editions.

For just £1.50, the programme is also available as a digital download on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags from 1am on Saturday morning.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/08/sessegnon-programme-cardiff

WhiteJC

Bad news for Boro fans ahead of big Aston Villa and Fulham meetings

The Middlesbrough fans in the Transfer Tavern today are raising their glasses and wishing one of their best performers this season a quick recovery.

Reports from Sky Sports have confirmed that Middlesbrough striker Rudy Gestede has undergone surgery after an injury he sustained during training.

The 28-year-old suffered a dead leg injury which, following compression and ice treatment, continued to bleed which led to pressure-relieving surgery.

The report reveals that Boro's boss Garry Monk expects the forward, who was a transfer target of fellow Championship club Leeds United, to be out for a number of weeks.

Gestede has had a good start to the 2017/18 campaign, scoring once and providing two assists in the opening five league games.

The former Aston Villa striker will be watching from the sidelines this weekend at Boro return to action against the struggling Bolton Wanderers.

The Landlord's Verdict
This really is a bizarre injury.

Missing a couple of weeks for a dead leg is more unlucky than anything else and, in the form he has started the season in, our landlord thinks Middlesbrough will miss Gestede.

The next few weeks see some tough fixtures against Aston Villa and Fulham which the 28-year-old is likely to miss.

Perhaps Monk will wish he had sold the striker to Leeds when he had the chance.

Hindsight is 20/20.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premiership/middlesbrough/bad-news-for-boro-fans-ahead-of-big-aston-vilal-and-fulham-meeting/

WhiteJC

Fulham working with architectural firm who have previously worked on the Emirates on Riverside Stand redevelopment

The club revealed that they had been working with the same architectural firm that had worked on both Arsenal's and Manchester City's stadiums

Fulham are working with the same architects that worked on the Aviva Stadium in Dublin, Arsenal's Emirates Stadium, Manchester City's Etihad and the London Stadium for their Riverside Stadium redevelopment.

Populous have been working with the club over the past few months on revisions to the design of the Riverside Stand, something which Shahid Kahn had been keen to do since seeing the original plans.

The club told the Fulham Supporters' Trust that they hope begin consultation in October, which would include supporters, prior to submitting any planning applications to Hammersmith and Fulham Council.

In May, an interview appeared with Kevin Underwood, director at Buckingham Group , who revealed Mr Khan had put a hold on work on the stand two weeks before work was due to start in order to review the designs.

Mr Khan is keen to make full use of the revenue streams that hospitality and the kiosks in the new stand can provide to the club and is keen to make swift progress on the redevelopment.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-working-architectural-firm-who-13593988

WhiteJC

Book review: Kicking Off in North Korea
by Dan on September 8, 2017

Saturday sees Cardiff City come to Craven Cottage attempt to win their sixth game out of sixth in what has been an incredible start to the Championship campaign for the Bluebirds. It also appeared an appropriate time to review one of the finest football books I've read in a while – almost a globetrotting tour-de-force of the beautiful game and some not-quite-so-pretty geopolitics by former journalist, Cardiff City and Wales fanatic Tim Hartley. This site has always indulged the idea that the true football fan's eye is cast wider than that of their own team and that's why I think this book belongs on these pages.

I've known Tim for a while as he's a regular at the various supporter conferences and events that see fans push for more influence in the modern game. He was one of the driving forces behind an ultimately successful campaign to see Cardiff return to playing in their traditional blue kit – having switched to red at the behest of their breathtaking bizarre chairman Vincent Tan – and has recently stepped down as the chair of the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust. Tim also ventures right around the world to watch Wales, which means we both share an adoring love of Chris Coleman, and his charity work in support of the Welsh supporters' charity Gol! is simply incredible.

Tim's travels are not just about the football and finding a good boozer. He's written a number of books before but this one, intriguingly entitled Kicking Off in North Korea, grabbed my attention from the moment it was mentioned to me by a Welsh-supporting work colleague. He'd read Tim's chronicling of the remarkable journey to the Euro 2016 semi-finals, which unfortunately is a little more difficult if you don't speak Welsh, and said that this one would be worth a look as well. I finally got my hands on a copy during the Supporters Summit in Burton this summer – and it proved so absorbing that I read half the book in one sitting that night.

The book belongs to a genre of football writing that first appealed to me as an inquisitive schoolkid. Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch is a domestic classic, but accounts that placed football in a social or political context – especially in foreign climbs – fascinated me. I devoured Simon Kuper's outstanding Football Against the Enemy in a week and greatly enjoyed the American writer Joe McGuiness's Miracle of Castel di Sangro. It certainly isn't a stretch to put Hartley's effort in that company. It is definitely diverse enough – we are taken to the Middle East, the former Yugoslavia, Azerbaijan, Kenya, Bosnia, Georgia and Brazil to list just a few destinations – and introduced to paranoid security guards, football lovers, reindeers as well as activists who wish to change the world.

Football isn't far away, even though Hartley rightly focuses on the shameful poverty or the favelas and just how unsafe some of his destinations are for the ordinary citizen. He expertly weaves in the tales of how he and his son Chester had different responses to Tan's egotistical approach to running their beloved Cardiff almost as matter-of-factly as he describes the surreal scenes he encountered whilst watching football in North Korea, where his attempts at introducing British chanting proved unsuccessful. A passion for the game and its impact on our local communities shines through on each page.

I felt like I knew Tim, the football fan, before I read this book. But I've learned more about a very special man as he takes the reader on one mesmerising journey after another. The joy of the tale comes often from the people he means and the stories they recount that often leave you pausing for thought. It is almost as if Hartley had set out to answer his mother-in-law, who – we learn courtesy of the publisher's blurb about the author – asked him: 'How many trips of a lifetime can you have, boy?' Going by this book, the only suitable reply has to be, not enough.

Kicking Off in North Korea: Football and Friendship in Foreign Lands by Tim Hartley is published by Ylolfa

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/09/book-review-kicking-off-in-north-korea/

WhiteJC

Fulham and West Ham legend backs 3G pitches after Walton Casuals install artificial surface at new stadium

'For us and our junior section, 3G is the way ahead...'

Tony Gale, in action for Blackburn Rovers, tackles Southampton's Matt Le Tissier in 1994 (Photo by Anton Want/ALLSPORT) (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Former Fulham and West Ham defender Tony Gale insists 3G pitches are "the way forward" for smaller football clubs after overseeing the installation of an artificial pitch at Walton Casuals' new stadium.

Gale, who also works as a football commentator and pundit, is the chairman of Isthmian League Division One South side Casuals, who move into their new £18m Elmbridge Sports Hub stadium on Saturday.

The facilities include both grass and 3G pitches, but the main pitch is an artificial one.

And Gale believes that with the improvements in artificial pitches since they first came to prominence in the 1980s and insists real grass is a "nightmare" to maintain for non-league clubs in particular.

The artificial pitch at Walton Casuals' new stadium - which opens this weekend (Photo by Kane Brooker)

"I agree with 3G pitches because they can be used 24/7 and at our level, in the leagues we play in, we see so many poor pitches that at least you know what you are going to get week-in, week-out with a 3G surface," the Casuals chairman explained.

"The pitches are nothing like the ones [of the 1980s] they are vastly improved. With the pitches now the pitch runs freely but probably not as quickly as a good grass pitch.

"If you are talking at Premier League pitches, then yes they should be grass, but at our level to maintain a grass pitch during the season is a nightmare.

"For us and our junior section, 3G is the way ahead. It means there are no postponements for waterlogged pitches or frozen pitches, at least at home. It's a consistent surface for nine months of the football season."

Walton Casuals host Horsham in their first match at the new stadium on Waterside Drive today at 3pm.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-west-ham-legend-13575959

WhiteJC

Up next: Cardiff City (h)
by DAN on SEPTEMBER 9, 2017

Fulham finally return to domestic action this afternoon trying to repeat what they managed at Ipswich Town before the international break – namely, beating one of the division's form sides, who have a 100% record. Neil Warnock's August could hardly have gone better and the Cardiff City manager, a wily operator at this level, was rewarded with the Championship Manager of the Month award yesterday. The Bluebirds head to Craven Cottage in good heart, having begun the campaign in blistering fashion, and the Welsh side will be roared on by more than 3,100 raucous away supporters.

Warnock's transformation of what looked a largely average side into early-season pacesetters has largely centred around the construction of a front three that possesses pace, power and trickery and terrifies Championship defences. It was no surprise that Premier League sides were sniffing around Kenneth Zohore in the dying embers of the transfer window. The imposing Danish striker has emerged as one of the division's most potent threats since initially joining Cardiff on loan last January and brutally overpowered Fulham's defence scoring twice at the Cardiff City Stadium in February. Don't be fooled by the fact that he's only scored one in five appearances so far this term – Zohore's added assists to his game and, in the modern market, the idea that Cardiff rebuffed Everton's advances to hold out for £30m for his services suddenly doesn't appear all that fanciful.

Junior Hoilett, so baffingly inconsistent for QPR after bursting onto the scene with great effect for Blackburn back in 2009, has also been a key performer for Warnock in the early weeks of the season. He scored one and made John Terry look totally foolish against Aston Villa before popping up with another goal as Cardiff came from behind to beat his old club in their most recent outing. The real star has been Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, who has taken to Championship football as if he's been here all his life rather than just made the step up on a free transfer from Rochdale. The 25 year-old former Wolves trainee has scored five times in his first seven appearances for the Welsh side, including a brilliant brace against Villa – underlining the fact that there still several bargains to be found in the Football League pyramid.

Beyond those three, Warnock's side still possess all the qualities one would expect. They will be physical and robust, with Sean Morrison and Sol Bamba at the heart of the defence, but there's plenty of quality on the ball as well. Joe Ralls, a scorer in previous meetings with Fulham, and the ever energetic Aron Gunarsson will run the midfield, whilst Warnock still has the likes of Lee Tomlin and Omar Bogle, signed for Wigan late in the window, to integrate into his best side. Warnock will be targeting a first ever league win at Craven Cottage whilst Neil Etheridge, whose only senior appearance in four years at Fulham came on that infamous night Martin Jol's side were dumped out of the Europa League by Odense, may want to prove a point as well.

Slavisa Jokanovic's bid to build on a very impressive away display at Portman Road might well have been derailed by a raft of injury concerns. Tom Cairney took an injection in his knee to return for that fixture and was withdrawn from the Scotland squad that breathed new life into their World Cup hopes with two vital wins in order to manage his recover, but the Fulham skipper will miss this afternoon's clash as he hasn't made enough progress to merit a place amongst the eighteen. Rui Fonte, who notched his first goal against Town, is also missing whilst two of the wingers out on international duty, Sheyi Ojo and Neeskens Kebano, returned with knocks serious enough leave them on the sidelines this weekend.

The Serbian therefore has a fair few selection headaches as he tries to plot a way through the league leaders. Aboubakar Kamara could lead the line like he did at Leeds, although Floyd Ayite may be fit to return and could reprise the false nine role he filled so successfully during the second half of last season, whilst Fulham now a surfeit of wide players to deputise for Kebano. New arrivals Jordan Graham and Yohan Mollo will be pushing for a place in the side, although starting either – who have had just four Motspur Park training sessions with their new team-mates – could represent a significant gamble. At least Oliver Norwood, in fine form for Northern Ireland during the international interlude, will be chomping at the bit to audition as Cairney's understudy.

The back five shouldn't see too much change. David Button, who has kept goal splendidly since those pre-season wobbles and an untimely hamstring injury struck down Marcus Bettinelli, will try and kept Fulham's first clean sheet against Cardiff since 1989 – a run which spans some nineteen games – whilst Tim Ream should have shaken off the jet lag after featuring in a couple of United States World Cup qualifiers to partner Tomas Kalas once again. Registering the first Craven Cottage league win of the season would send out a message to the rest of the division, although you would doubt too many are paying a great deal of attention to the early league table, especially since none of the last six Championship leaders at the end of August have gone on to win promotion.

MY FULHAM XI (4-3-3): Bettinelli; Fredericks, R. Sessegnon, Kalas, Ream; McDonald, Norwood, Johansen; Ayite, Mollo, Kamara. Subs: Button, Odoi, Madl, S. Sessegnon, Cisse, Edun, Graham.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/09/up-next-cardiff-city-h-2/

WhiteJC

Fulham V Cardiff City. Match Preview

Around 3,500 City fans are on their way to London for today's Championship clash at Craven Cottage between Fulham and Cardiff City.

Early team news

Fulham can add Yohan Mollo and Jordan Graham to their squad for the visit of Cardiff.

Mollo was a deadline-day signing from Zenit St Petersburg and fellow wideman Graham arrived from Wolves on a season-long loan. Another new loan signing, Rafa Soares, is battling to shake off an ankle injury and Lucas Piazon is out with a broken leg. Midfielder Tom Cairney will be assessed after dropping out of the Scotland squad with a knee problem.

Cardiff defender Matt Connolly is fit for the trip to Craven Cottage after recovering from an ankle problem. "You'll always lose Matt for five or six games with his ankles, I had the same at QPR with him. I'm afraid he's got ankles like pieces of paper at times," boss Neil Warnock said.

Lee Camp and Callum Paterson are in training following spells in the treatment room but are unlikely to be back in action until next month. Kadeem Harris and Rhys Healey remain on the long-term absentee list.

Match Officials:

The referee is TONY HARRINGTON

Assistants: Geoffrey Russell and Daniel Leach
Fourth Official: Christopher O'Donn

Opta stats

The Cottagers haven't kept a clean sheet against Cardiff in any competition in their last 19 games against them, since a 2-0 win in March 1989.

These sides haven't shared a goalless draw in a league game since December 1974, with there being at least one goal in each of the last 30 games between the sides.

Fulham have lost just one of their last 11 league games (W6 D4), though it was in their last such match at home (0-1 vs Sheffield Wednesday).

Neil Warnock has never won an away league match at Fulham (D2 L7), with his last visit ending in a 6-0 defeat for his QPR side in the Premier League in October 2011.

Fulham are averaging just 0.8 goals per game in the Championship so far this term; this after averaging 1.8 per game in the 2016/17 campaign (excl. play-offs).

None of the last six clubs top of the Championship at the end of August have gone on to win automatic promotion, and only two have finished in the top six.

Neil Warnock's pre match press conference

Neil Warnock on his manager of the month award

Every one (award) is important. I remember most of them. It's not an award for the manager, it's an award for the whole club. We've moved together from the top right down, we are united. It's a really good achievement. The players have done really well and we've had a good pre-season and we've played good stuff well.

Warnock on player of the month Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
Right from meeting him I know what he's got, it's just reassuring lads like that, that the step up is not what you think, and to be yourself really. He has attributes which we use and you can see he enjoys it. Even before the season started, we had a very good pre-season.

Warnock on his side's form
All credit to the lads that were here aswell, we had a decent end to the season. I've not seen Hoilett or Bamba play like this before. You've got your consistent ones like Peltier, Gunnarson and Ralls. And you've got Zohore as good as anything in the country. With Mendez-Laing playing like this, it's the freedom.

Warnock on tomorrow's opponents
Tomorrow's going to be a real good challenge. I think they were the best team we played last year, in the play-offs, i thought if they got past Reading they'd have gone up.
I think it's soon (that they go up). I have lost in the playoffs once. It's a horrible feeling and it's very difficult to get the lads up, no matter what you say. They must have known they were the best team so it's a double low to them. They've got so many good players, they'll have a lot of the ball.

Warnock on the upcoming fixtures
The next two months, I've said from day one, if we can be in the top 4 from the end of October then we've got a good chance of the play-offs. In the championship you won't win every game, it's so difficult. It wouldn't be a shock if we lost all three games. We'll have to use the squad a bit. Bruno's not even back yet. We'll have to think carefully about selection.

More from Warnock on the Championship
It's just as difficult to go to Burton in this league, the bottom teams can beat the top teams. The attitude of the players has got to be right. All I know is it will be difficult for the teams to play us.

Warnock on new signing Craig Bryson
I asked about Craig a couple of weeks earlier but Gary Rowett had no intention of selling him. I had a couple of options in midfield but I left it till about 8am in the morning to check with Gary if there was a chance of a deal.
And it seems things changes at their end. I was told that it would be possible if the player wanted to come.
In the end it was about 10 to 11, I don't know why it happens every year.

More on how Warnock got his man
He was my number one target. I just had a hunch when I rang up on that morning, because I had to get that passed by Vincent, Mehmet and Ken, they were fabulous. They really helped me secure Craig, they knew he was my target and he's the one I'd have liked to sign permanently.

Warnock on what Bryson brings
He's a very underrated player, he's a manager's player, I think that's why Gary was a bit loathe to let him come. He doesn't catch the eye but you always give him 8/10. We're asking a lot of Loic to play three games a week when he's come from the second division in france.

Warnock on new signing Liam Feeney
I think the two players coming in will help us get goals. Last window (Feeney) should've come. I think he needs me, he's not been a regular at Blackburn and the way I see him playing I think he can do well for me which is why I let Matthew (Kennedy) go.
I think we've got better on the bench now. It's given us a really good competitiveness now, to win games, not to just shut up shop.

Warnock on holding onto striker Kenneth Zohore
It's important that Zohore stayed, but I do feel sorry for Danny Ward because he's on fire in training. When you've won five out of five you can't complain to the manager. He will play an important part this season.
It is an absolute nightmare for managers. Last year we had deadline day on a game day. I was on the bench trying to do a deal. It's no thought from people who haven't got a clue about the game. I think it only encourages you to be a better manager.

More from the Bluebirds boss on Zohore
There was always interest in Zohore and the board I imagine of years ago would've snapped offers up but they weren't the right offers for us. Ken's a very important player for us so we were delighted when the window closed. I think he needs another year to play under me. He's come back a lot more mature than when he first came into the team. Whilst he might be disappointed that he hasn't scored goals in the last few games, his contribution has been super.
I've been quite pleased that he hasn't scored many goals because it hasn't alerted anybody about how many goals he's scored.
We need Ken and I think he needs us for this season.
I had Premier League managers ringing me and told me that they'd put an offer in, but then it was left to Mehmet and Vincent and they said no right from the start.

Warnock on his injured players
I went in the physio room and said they'll be out of work soon.
Paterson and Camp are both training, one's going to have half a game in the U-21s (Paterson) next week and Camp is planning to have half a game the week after.
I can't envisage him coming back until October (Paterson) but they're both big players.

More from the manager on injuries
Connolly is fit, he's Mr Reliable. You'll always lose Matt for a few games with his ankles, he's got ankles like pieces of paper.
Kadeem is doing very well, the medics are very happy with him. He's still got the brace on but it comes off next week if I'm not mistaken.

Warnock on not signing Ledley
We're done now until January. I don't want any other additions. I was looking for that attacking midfield player. That's why Bryson shaded that.

http://www.footymad.com/cardiff-city/news/tmnw/fulham_v_cardiff_city_match_preview_911259/index.shtml

WhiteJC

Pay on the Gate

League football returns to Craven Cottage this afternoon as Fulham host Cardiff City on Saturday 9th September (3pm).

Join us for all the match action this afternoon with Slaviša Jokanović's side looking to build on their 2-0 win against Ipswich Town prior to the international break, with tickets priced at £25 for adults and £5 for juniors* and available to purchase now or on the gate from cash turnstiles.

To buy in advance fans can purchase online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

See you at the Cottage - COYW!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/09/cardiff-potg

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 6 vs. Cardiff City
With the best team in the Championship coming to Craven Cottage, let's find out how they've been so successful this season.

With their win against Ipswich Town just before the International break, Fulham has come into September with a much better feeling with how the start of their campaign has gone. It was the first time we saw Slavisa Jokanovic's attack go full tilt with the likes of Neeskans Kebano being everywhere.

After coming away with three points versus a previously unbeaten side, they will have to do the same against another unblemished group in Cardiff City. Unlike Ipswich, Cardiff's underlying numbers have shown that they might be a team that will be reckoned with throughout the Championship season. While scoring 10 goals and only giving up two in their five games, you would think that their current run of domination won't last for a full 46 games. However, Cardiff's 9.6 expected goals for and 3.8 against are not that far off from the current form they are on and are definitely the most impressive totals in the league. Along with averages of 17.0 shots for and 9.2 shots against, there is no denying that Neil Warnock's men are for real.

What makes it interesting is that these shot numbers come while only keeping the ball for 44.9% of the time this season. Only Millwall have retained the ball less this season and Cardiff's 62.2% completed passes is easily the worst in the Championship.

Numbers like that certainly indicate a strong counter-attacking game, but it is not like they win the ball cleanly. Cardiff is only the 17th best in the Championship in tackles (15.0 per 90 minutes), 10th best in interceptions (12.4 per 90 minutes) and tied for 12th best in blocks (2.8 per 90 minutes). So how on Earth are they able to be so effective while being so poor with the ball at their feet and not winning the ball so cleanly?

While Cardiff is not the best team when it comes to playing with the long ball (just a 22nd best 22.6 per 90 minutes with a 31.6% completion rate on such passes), they are one of the best teams in the Championship at heading the ball. Only Millwall and Birmingham are better than the Bluebird's 28.0 aerial duels won per 90 minutes and their 55.3% success rate is up there with the best in the league. Along with that, Cardiff is not afraid to run at people as evidenced by their fourth best dribbling rate at 12.2 per 90 minutes.

It will certainly be a clash of styles when the two teams face off at Craven Cottage and here are the three key men that Fulham will have to watch out for in this key fixture.

Sol Bamba
All data from whoscored.com

With 41 games left for both teams, there will surely be time for data to even out and outliers to be removed, but that doesn't mean we can celebrate someone who currently has the highest whoscored rating of the Championship.

With an 8.06 average grade, Bamba has continued gobbling up any ball that's in the air and has been hitting career highs with possession adjusted clearances at 7.95 per 90 minutes. At 32, Bamba will have to show that he hasn't lost a step as the season continues as he has committed more fouls (8) than tackles (7) this campaign. With both his tackle rate and interception rate at four-year lows, it will be interesting to see if opposing teams begin to sniff on that. But as long as Cardiff have two 6'4" behemoths in Bamba and Sean Morrisson protecting the goal, I don't think spraying long ball passes is the right strategy to defeat them.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

We now go to the first surprise story of the Championship season in former Rochdale winger Mendez-Laing. The August player of the month's career was in a bit of a crux coming into this campaign considering his adventures in League One and Two the past four seasons.

Sure, Mendez-Laing put scored 20 goals in 83 appearances for the Dale and he's had 21 appearances in the Championship with Peterborough as a 20-year old in 2012/13. But at 25, and with loan spells with Portsmouth, Shrewsbury Town and Cambridge United in between his Championship campaigns, it didn't seem like Mendez-Laing might have a chance to return to the highest tiers of English football. In the first five games, he has proven doubters wrong.

Mendez-Laing might not visually look like the fittest player on the pitch, but boy can he run and he's got a right footed curling shot that can rival Tom Cairney's left foot. This may sound like hyperbole, but it's difficult not thinking of a taller Sadio Mane when watching him play. A goal-scoring rate of 0.94 per 90 minutes surely can't be sustainable, but if he can keep his dribbling and shooting rates high, there's some untapped potential that can truly be released in the coming seasons.

Junior Hoilett

If we continue comparing players styles of Cardiff players to those from Liverpool players, it's quite difficult to avoid comparing Junior Hoilett with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Both players have been in the game at senior level for so long yet are amazed that they are still so young (Hoilett is 27. Ox is 24.). Also, both are incredible athletes coming down the flank that you think they create such an impact on the team offensively but really don't. While Ox has tried his hand at fullback during his career, Hoilett has always plied his trade up front. The dribbling has always been there, but with Mendez-Laing, lone striker Kenneth Zohore and newcomer Loic Damour continuing to be unleashed by Warnock's counter-attack, Hoilett is now in a system that gives him time and space to unleash his right-footed shot and creativity.

With Kebano and Rui Fonte likely to be out due to injury, Sone Aluko now at Reading and Lucas Piazon already on the mend, Fulham are really deprived of their attacking talent for Saturday's fixture. Even calling up academy players like Luca de La Torre and George Williams is out of the question as they too are injured!

Such players are actually critical for shutting down the opposition in Slavisa Jokanovic's system since his fullbacks come at teams so aggressively. There will be plenty of pressure on Floyd Ayite, new signings Yoann Mollo, Aboubakar Kamara and Jordan Graham, and maybe even Ryan Sessegnon, to get the job done while so many in the Black and White recover from injury. And with six games in 20 days, Fulham will really need to do their best in managing their squad rotation in that department. For now, Jokanovic has a real test on his hands this Saturday. Coming away with three points will be an absolute achievement and can give his squad quite a boost this month.

Update: It was previously written that Floyd Ayite was out of today's game due to injury. It turns out he'll be good to go instead.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/9/9/16272522/three-players-to-watch-matchday-6-vs-cardiff-city