watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on the Wolves Game

Started by Ordar, September 13, 2010, 09:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

After having a day to cool off and watching a typical Woy Hodgson away performance yesterday (I wont be missing them) I thought I'd share my thoughts on Saturday's war with Wolves.

Obviously the main talking points were Phil Dowds terrible refereeing performance, Bobby's injury and Wolves' tactics.

1) I dont think the game was an easy one to referee by any means, and I thought Dowd did ok trying to control the Wolves players. Giving out 7 yellows (2 to Berra) was a fair reflection, and he wasnt given an easy time. The two big penalty shouts, both of which most likely would have been red cards aswell for depriving a goal scoring opportunity were very poor decisions, especially the second half one.

2) Bobby's injury is obviously disappointing. Henry is saying he got the ball, which may be true, but he made sure he got Zamora aswell. The tackle was a scissor challenge which I'm pretty sure is a red card offence regardless, and it was definately wreckless. With the confirmed break and ligament damage, I would expect Bobby to be out for 5-6 months. We will miss him immensely. Get well soon Bobby.

3) Newcastle complained heavily about Wolves tactics before the international break, and apparently Henry should have been sent off in that game. The lad is a disgrace, not sure for the Zamora tackle or the persistant fouling, but playing that drop ball back to Hahnemann was a disgrace. I see somoe Wolves fans are not happy about their new style of play, but its obviously effective as they've started the season well.

4) I'm afraid it needs a mention. 2 players played very poorly yesterday. John Paintsil (who I adore) was very poor yet again, he has been directly at fault for the last 3 goals we've conceeded. Lost his cool when he brought Doyle down when clean through (but offside). Wasnt suprised to see him hauled off at HT. Clint was very very poor again. (expecting the wrath of the american fans here) The boy isnt a striker, he seemed to spend most of the match either sulking or on the deck. Played one good ball for Davies in the first half, other than than was annonomous. I was actually glad when Johnson replaced him (who I may add had a good cameo)

5) Overall I was impressed by our play. One lapse caused us to conceed, but other than that I felt we were very much in control. Especially in the second half. Dembele was obviously excellent again. Our new habit of scoring late goals rather than conceeding is nice to see, and with better refereeing decisions we would have had the game sewn up much earlier. Was good to see Hughes going ballistic at Dowd at HT and taking JP off was a good move. I'm enjoying us being more adventurous, although I would like us to create more actual goal scoring chances. Whatever he said at half time worked though.

So a great start to the season, Unbeaten and in the top half. It remains to see how much we will miss Zamora, and if the Dalle Vella kid is given a chance. I would not at all be suprised to see Santa Cruz arrive in January if Bobby is out for the season.

Andy Crysell

Top post.  Really enjoyed reading that.   :045:

I still think that Dowd was worse than Pants, but otherwise great stuff!

Lighthouse

Demps is not a forward and Roy so often made the mistake of  playing him  as such and we hope Hughes has learned now. I like Demps as a wandering wide midfielder. As usual the rest of the post was interesting and clear. The keeper foul on Davies was the clearest of penalty decisions I have ever seen. The first one too would have been given 8 out of 10 times.

Good and enjoyable post.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jarv

Dempsey is a fine player but definitely not at the top of his game right now. It happens to everyone from time to time. His own body language suggests he is frustrated with himself. He and Pantsil are out 2 world cup players who played a lot. Coincidence?
He will be back.

Burt

A balanced, accurate summary Mr Ordar sir.