watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (15/09/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 15, 2017, 07:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'The season starts now' – Fulham fans react as Jokanovic's side stretch their unbeaten run

Fulham stretched their unbeaten run in the Sky Bet Championship to three games last night, as they recorded a 2-1 victory over a struggling Hull City side at Craven Cottage.

After a slow start to the season saw Fulham fail to pick up a victory in their first four fixtures, Slavisa Jokanovic's side appear to have turned a corner and are now unbeaten in their last three.

The Cottagers have picked up victories against Ipswich Town and Hull, which have come either side of a valuable point against Cardiff.

Last night's victory over Hull came thanks to goals from Floyd Ayite and Stefan Johansen, and helped to move Jokanovic's side onto 10 points from their opening seven fixtures.

Fulham have moved up to 13th in the table following their triumph over Hull, and will be looking to break into the top-half of the Championship table over the weekend, when they travel to Burton Albion.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-season-starts-now-fulham-fans-react-as-jokanovics-side-stretch-their-unbeaten-run/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic critical of his team despite victory over Hull City

Tigers suffer another away defeat in the Championship following their thrashing at Derby County

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic was critical of his side despite seeing them earn a first home win of the season with a 2-1 Sky Bet Championship success over Hull City.

Stefan Johansen's 62nd-minute goal earned the Cottagers all three points after Jarrod Bowen had cancelled out Floyd Ayite's first-half goal.

So, there was more away-day woe for Hull following last Friday night's 5-0 thrashing by Derby County at Pride Park Stadium.

Fulham missed a catalogue of chances despite being dangerous in attack all evening and Jokanovic admits they must kill games off.

"We are satisfied with a first win at Craven Cottage but we must improve and we must be more clinical," he said.

"We can be satisfied with three points and I believe we were the better team but we put ourselves under so many risks. We looked confused for a period.

"We make the plans about our attack and our offensive position. We expected them to change something after their defeat against Derby, we were not surprised.

"We created many half-chances and caught them so many times without the end of product.

"You cannot create 100 chances before scoring. You must be clinical and show more quality.

"This is a similar story (to other games this season), we are dominating. I was worried and it was not a healthy game for us and our supporters.

"I cannot compare this team to last season. I cannot be satisfied at the moment. We need to build some winning spirit. We put a stress on ourselves."

Hull played five at the back in the wake of their Rams rout and their head coach, Leonid Slutsky, admits he is unsure of his side's best formation.

"It's the first time we played more defensively as it was a reaction from Friday," he said. "We have lost confidence.

"We are very disappointed as I thought we deserved a minimum of a draw but we don't have the time to be disappointed.

"It is a very difficult time. We will have a special tactical lesson speaking about a new formation.

"I find our best formation works with our attacking principle. We must decide problems together.

"We don't have time to be frustrated. We must look forward very positively.

"I think my best team is a team who will play to the maximum level. We can play better. I hope in the next matches we will play better.

"It was a normal match, we had the chances. Each new defeat it is like going back 10 steps. We must move forward very quickly.

"It is a little bit of low confidence, that's a normal reaction. My target is to change and get confidence."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-critical-474071

WhiteJC

Follow Fulham To Burton

Make sure you're at the Pirelli Stadium as Fulham aim to make it back-to-back wins in the Sky Bet Championship.

More than 1,100 Whites supporters have already secured their ticket for Burton Albion away on Saturday, and you can join them by visiting or calling the Ticket Office on 0203 871 0810 (option 2) before 3pm on Friday. These are no longer available to purchase online.

Tickets are priced at just £20 for adults, £18 for fans aged 65+, £15 for 17-22 year olds, and £7 for under-17s.

Coach travel is also available from Craven Cottage and Motspur Park, priced at £20/£15 for Season Ticket Holders and Members, or £25/£20 otherwise.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/14/follow-fulham-to-burton

WhiteJC

'You will lead us to Champs League in 3 years' – Fulham fans react to Jokanovic update

A 2-1 victory over Hull City saw Fulham climb to 13th in the Championship after their indifferent start to the season.

Many observers fancied the Cottagers to make a serious impact at the top of the league this season but last night's success was the first at Craven Cottage.

After the match, boss Slavisa Jokanovic took to his own Twitter account to say he wasn't satisfied with the performance.

Even thought they got the win, it was a nervy ending to the game, with Hull having more shots on target in the second period, something Jokanovic clearly wasn't pleased with.

They go to Burton Albion next, aiming for their third win in four games that would sure to push them closer to the top six.

But, it's clear to see from his tweet that Jokanovic will still be demanding more from his talented squad, and that he's looking for a complete performance to follow.

The Serb has been a huge hit in West London, combining good results with an excellent style of play, with Fulham fans unsurprisingly reacting well to his latest tweet.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/you-will-lead-us-to-champs-league-in-3-years-fulham-fans-react-to-jokanovic-update/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic underwhelmed with his side's win against Hull City

The Serbian head coach was expecting more from his side against the Tigers.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic wasn't impressed by his side's performance against Hull City despite winning 2-1.

Goals from Floyd Ayite and Stefan Johansen condemned the Tigers to their second straight defeat in the Championship and their fourth loss from their opening seven league games.

However, despite Fulham picking up their first league home win of the season, Jokanovic was underwhelmed with his side's efforts.

The Serb states he was 'not satisfied' with his sides victory against Leonid Slutsky's stuttering outfit.

"To be a more serious and competitive team, we must improve," Jokanovic said after the game. "This is not enough.

"I am not satisfied with our performance, I am satisfied with three points but today we were under a big risk, we didn't finish what we needed to in the right moment and this kind of risk you can pay such an expensive price for, which we have paid in the past.

"We must be braver, more solid, and more adult, if you want, in some situations. In football, during 90-something minutes there is always moments where you are not comfortable during the game where the other team dominates you."

"This is not enough for me, this is not enough for our supporters and this is not enough for my team too. We must work harder."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-underwhelmed-475899

WhiteJC

Riverside Stand Update

Read what Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan had to say regarding the Riverside Stand redevelopment in his Hull City programme notes.

"We are a club with ambition to grow, but to grow you must protect and never damage your roots. Here at Fulham, those roots are at our home of Craven Cottage. That's why it was important to me when I was privileged to become your chairman in 2013 to find a way to grow all that is good about FFC while always minding our roots. And that is what we will do.

"We are currently in the process of submitting pre-application documents to the council this week which will highlight our intentions for the much-anticipated redevelopment of the Riverside Stand. This procedural measure will be followed later this year with a formal application to the local authorities, and the process will include consultation with our wonderful supporters.

"The future of the Riverside Stand and, by extension, Craven Cottage itself, has been the subject of speculation and various plans well before my arrival, maybe going back as far as 10 years. For my part, the project has always been a priority, but not at the expense of making a mistake that wouldn't serve our club, the neighbourhood and all of London both immediately and for generations. I have admittedly been deliberate in reviewing concepts, interviewing designers and studying the economics of what will turn out to be a signature project for an entire community. I know that our supporters have hungered for information or signs of progress, and I appreciate that. But, I am confident that our approach has been the right one, and equally assured that you'll find the wait to be worth it.

"We have engaged Populous, a worldclass architectural and design firm, to deliver a Riverside Stand project that will transcend the customary standards of football grandstands. Imagine a new Riverside Stand that will be iconic and beautiful, include riverside pubs and restaurants, event facilities, green spaces, open the river walk every day of the year and, of course, make Craven Cottage a greater destination in all of sport than it already is. It will be a spectacular venue to watch Fulham. And our home ground will blend history and the contemporary like no stadium in the land or beyond.

"It won't be long before we'll be sharing some of the architectural elements and designs. In the meantime, we continue with the consultation process with local authorities and look forward later this year to making a full plan submission for approval. Your CEO, Alistair Mackintosh, has my complete respect and appreciation for keeping this challenging yet rewarding project on task, and I ask that you join me in thanking him for being a champion not only for the new Riverside Stand but for all things that represent your club.

"Finally on the Riverside Stand, what the project timeline will look like upon approval of the plans will be known soon, but it's almost certain that we anticipate playing our home matches at Craven Cottage through any construction periods. Craven Cottage, after all, is home to Fulham Football Club." - Shahid Khan

There will be two public exhibitions taking place at the Cafe at the Cottage, for fans and local residents to find out more about the Riverside Stand redevelopment, and an opportunity to pass on their feedback.

1. 2-8pm Thursday 12th October

2. Prior to Fulham versus Preston North End , 9am-1pm Saturday 14th October

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/14/riverside-stand-update

WhiteJC

'Now you know how we feel' – Fulham fans react to star man's tweet

It had been a poor start to the season for Fulham, with fans and pundits alike tipping The Cottagers to make a real impact on the division.

However, they look to be finding their feet now after two wins and a draw in the last three games.

The latest success came last night at home to Hull City, a victory that was sealed thanks to Norwegian midfielder Stefan Johansen.

To be fair to Fulham, they are suffering on the injury front. Big-money striker signing Rui Fonte and star man from last season Tom Cairney have both not featured since the victory at Ipswich.

The Scottish international in particular will be a huge miss given the influence he had on the team last campaign.

Even though he isn't on the pitch, club captain Cairney was still at Craven Cottage last night to watch his team-mates grind out a 2-1 win against Hull, and revealed it was tough to watch as the visitors pushed for a late equaliser.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/now-you-know-how-we-feel-fulham-fans-react-to-star-mans-tweet/

WhiteJC

Fulham not good enough, says Slavisa Jokanovic after first home win

Frustrated: Slavisa Jokanovic Getty Images

Fulham recorded their first home win of the season but boss Slavisa Jokanovic warned his side they must improve if they want to return to the Premier League.

Last night's 2-1 victory over Hull took Fulham up to 13th but Jokanovic was critical of their performance.

"We showed some quality but to be a more serious and competitive team we must improve," he said. "We must find the solution to play better football.

"This is not enough. It is not enough for me, not enough for the supporters or for the team. We must work harder and improve. I am satisfied with three points but I am not satisfied with our performance."

Floyd Ayite and Stefan Johansen were on target for Fulham but a string of chances went begging and Jokanovic added: "You cannot create 100 chances before scoring.

"You must show more quality. We are dominating. I was worried and it was not a healthy game for us.

"We must be more brave, more solid, more adult, if you want. There are always some moments when you are not comfortable, when the other team dominates you. In this moment we must understand, interpret the situation better and finish the game in an easier way. All the other games at home are heart-attack games, which is not healthy."

Injured duo Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte are unlikely to return for Saturday's game at Burton.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-not-good-enough-says-slavisa-jokanovic-after-first-home-win-a3635046.html

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic delivers fitness update on Fulham duo Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte

FULHAM duo Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte are set to miss Saturday's trip to Burton Albion.

Slavisa Jokanovic admits Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte are unlikely to face Burton Albion

Skipper Cairney is still struggling with a knee injury while the game comes too soon for striker Fonte, who has only just returned to training.

Slavisa Jokanovic admits Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte are unlikely to face Burton Albion

Skipper Cairney is still struggling with a knee injury while the game comes too soon for striker Fonte, who has only just returned to training.

Speaking at a press conference, Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic said: "Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte are out, you know about Lucas [Piazon], Rafa [Soares] still hasn't started working with us.

"Tom didn't start working with us yet, Rui made part of the training today with us, but it's very difficult and I don't think they're going to be part of the team for the Burton game.

"At the moment we are without some very important players, but we expect they're going to be with us soon."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/644902/Fulham-News-Tom-Cairney-Rui-Fonte-Injury-Fitness-Update-Slavisa-Jokanovic-Gossip

WhiteJC

Fulham duo set to miss trip to Burton Albion as they struggle to return from injury

The pair have been out of action since the win at Ipswich and are yet to return to full fitness ahead of the Burton game

Fulham will be without Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte once again as they take on Burton Albion on Saturday.

The pair have been out of action since the 2-0 victory over Ipswich Town with Cairney struggling as a result of a knee injury, while Fonte picked up a groin injury during the win and had to be subbed off.

Neither have returned to action since, with the skipper yet to return to training while Fonte took part in a section of today's training with the first team, but both look unlikely to return to action this Saturday at the Pirelli Stadium.

When asked of the injury situation, Slavisa Jokanovic said: "It's the same as before this last game.

"Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte are out, you know about Lucas [Piazon], Rafa [Soares] still hasn't started working with us.

"Tom didn't start working with us yet, Rui made part of the training today with us, but it's very difficult and I don't think they're going to be part of the team for the Burton game.

"At the moment we are without some very important players, but we expect they're going to be with us soon.

"From another side, it's a chance for other people to show how important they can be for us, and be good replacements for the people who aren't in the squad.

"This isn't a competition for just 11 players, especially in the Championship you need a squad who can be available to compete in this busy and tough competition."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-duo-set-miss-trip-13621007

WhiteJC

U23s Host West Brom

The PL2 continues at Motspur Park on Friday evening under the lights, with Fulham taking on West Bromwich Albion.

On Monday, the Whites travelled to High Wycombe to take on Reading and left without points after a tight 2-1 loss, however Elijah Adebayo continued his goal scoring run of three in his last four match.

So far the Whites have had a difficult start to the season and Friday presents an opportunity for the first win of the season.

West Brom come to South London with a similar season to the Whites so far, sitting two places above Fulham in the PL2 Division 2.

They were also winless until their last game, however the Baggies put Brighton to the sword in a 5-1 victory on Saturday to kick start their season.

The match will be streamed live of fulhamfctv live, alternatively follow live updates of the match from Fulham's official Twitter account, @FulhamFC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/14/u23s-host-west-brom

WhiteJC

Fulham made contact with former Brighton manager during Jokanovic exit rumours

Although West Ham managed to pick up their first points of the season with an impressive 2-0 win over Huddersfield, questions keep being asked about whether or not Slaven Bilic is the right man for the job at London Stadium.

Going all the way back to April, Fulham's Slavisa Jokanovic was seen as the Croatian manager's successor, and the rumours returned in August, with the Hammers struggling in the Premier league.

If Sport on Thursday are to be believed, that's when the Cottagers started looking around Europe for someone to take over were the Serbian to act on West Ham's advances.

The Catalan newspaper state that Oscar Garcia, who replaced Christophe Galtier this summer at Saint-Etienne, was contacted, despite him only being a few games into his new job.

Only signing a two-year contract with the Ligue 1 side, compensation probably wouldn't have been an issue here, but the former Red Bull Salzburg's desire to change clubs so soon might have been a problem.

We'll have to wait and see what happens, but considering Saint-Etienne are currently fourth in Ligue 1 after a more than impressive start to their campaign, it might take a lot to convince him to leave.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-made-contact-former-brighton-manager-jokanovic-exit-rumours/

WhiteJC

Kevin McDonald named Fulham vice-captain as Slavisa Jokanovic praises his ability to interpret situations

The Scotsman has captained the side in the past two games in the absence of Tom Cairney and has now officially been named as Fulham's vice-captain

Kevin McDonald has been named as Fulham's new vice-captain.

The Scotsman replaces Sone Aluko, who had been filling in as captain in Tom Cairney's absence earlier in the season, after his move to Reading in the final days of the transfer window.

McDonald had worn the armband for the last two games as regular skipper Cairney continues to struggle with a knee injury that has plagued him for the majority of the season and Slavisa Jokanovic believes it is a "natural choice" for the 28-year-old to fill the void.

The midfielder described it as an "honour" last week to don the armband, and his boss has praised the way he interprets the situations around him and believes he deserves to be named as vice-captain.

He said: "I believe it's a natural choice, he's shown the mentality and he deserves it.

"McDonald is a player that can play in all the levels because he's experienced, he could be a player in this level, he could play for a Premier League team or for a League One team.

The new vice-captain: Kevin McDonald (Image: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

"He knows what happens around him and he always shows high levels in my team and he plays with us like he could play in any other Championship team and can be very important for any of those.

"In general, he's a very important player for my squad and I believe he can adapt himself in all the levels and I like how he interprets situations around him.

"I believe this choice is natural for myself.

"We lost one very important player and I needed to find a replacement for the vice captain role and that was Kevin McDonald."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kevin-mcdonald-named-fulham-vice-13621432

WhiteJC

Burton Albion's Saturday opponents Fulham without Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte for Pirelli Stadium clash

The influential midfielder is set to miss this weekend's clash

Tom Cairney is going to miss this weekend's match (Image: Andrew Redington/Getty Images)

Burton Albion are set to face a Fulham side without Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte on Saturday after Cottagers boss Slavisa Jokanovic confirmed the pair will not play any part in this weekend's clash.

Fulham travel to the Pirelli Stadium off the back of a three-match unbeaten run following an indifferent start from last term's play-off semi-finalists, with Wednesday night's 2-1 defeat of Hull City ensuring the Whites head to Burton brimming with confidence.

Cariney, the subject of an eye-watering £20 million bid from Newcastle United over the summer, has missed the last two matches for Fulham after notching 12 goals and setting up 11 in the league last term.

Brewers fans saw first-hand the damage Fulham's captain can do when he teed up Stefan Johansen for the first goal in their 2-0 defeat of Albion at the Pirelli last December.

The loss of Cairney will be a big blow for Saturday's visitors, but they have quality in abundance - with the likes of Floyd Ayite and Liverpool loanee Sheyi Ojo starring so far this term.

"Tom Cairney and Rui Fonte are out, you know about Lucas (Piazon), Rafa (Soares) still hasn't started working with us," Jokanovic told media on Thursday afternoon.

Cairney was influential for Fulham last term (Image: Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

"This isn't a competition for just 11 players, especially in the Championship you need a squad who can be available to compete in this busy and tough competition."

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/burton-albions-saturday-opponents-fulham-478492

WhiteJC

Matchday Live: Burton

Fulham's overseas fans can enjoy a live stream of Saturday's Sky Bet Championship encounter at Burton Albion.

If you are already a fulhamfctv subscriber you can pick up a match pass for just £5, while non-subscribers can access the stream for £10, and also enjoy video content on the official website for 48 hours from the point of purchase!

If you want to ensure you don't miss a moment of our live streams throughout the season then you can sign up for an overseas annual subscription, priced at £120.

Please note that you must be abroad and be using an overseas bank account to access the stream.

The stream will kick in around 15 minutes prior to kick-off, with a number of links to the correct page across the website. Alternatively, head to www.fulhamfc.com/live to view the game.

For our supporters based in the UK and Ireland, you can listen to full live commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid, with a monthly or standard annual subscription. 

Any fans who experience problems on a matchday with your stream please contact > [email protected].

Fans who have experienced issues accessing the stream in the past are advised to have a look at our streaming tips page which we constructed following feedback from supporters.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/14/matchday-live-burton-albion

WhiteJC

Former Manchester United and Fulham man believes club's chances of success are built on youth

The former Fulham man also believes Slavisa Jokanovic is a "fighter" and that the good young players are keeping him at the club

Former Fulham man Paul Parker believes the side currently lack experience and have built their chances of success on youth.

The club currently sit 13th in the Championship table after their 2-1 defeat of Hull City on Wednesday night - a game where Floyd Ayite and Stefan Johansen both found themselves on the scoresheet.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side reached the Play-off semi final last season before losing to Reading, going on a run in the latter half of the season that joyed fans and pundits alike, but the 53-year-old hopes that the expectations that went with that run hasn't taken its toll on them this time around.

He also believes that the manager is a fighter with a love of young players - something the club have attempted to build success on.

He told TalkSport: "I really hope they're in for a big year. I hope last year and the expectations that went with them hasn't taken too much out of them.

"All they lack really, all they haven't got is experience, they build everything through young players, the desire of young players, the coach loves young players, he's trying his best to do it his way.

"I think there are still a few elements against him the way the club wants to go, but I think he's a fighter, he wants to stay in there because they've got so many good young players at that club."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-manchester-united-fulham-man-13621108

WhiteJC

Fulham boss continues to be linked with West Ham United role

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic is continuing to be shortlisted for a managerial role at English Premier League club West Ham United should The Hammers sack current boss Slaven Bilic according to the latest odds from English Football League sponsors Sky Bet.

The 49-year-old Serbian coach impressed with The Cottagers last season after guiding the club to the Play-Offs in the Sky Bet Championship while they have collected seven points from their last three league matches during the opening weeks of this season.

With West Ham United currently occupying a relegation place in the English Premier League, manager Bilic finds himself under pressure although the club's 2-0 home victory over newly promoted club Huddersfield Town on Monday evening has helped lift some of the gloom surrounding The London Stadium.

Should Bilic be axed by The Hammers in the near future, there is a chance that the club will move for Fulham boss Jokanovic and the Serbian is listed as the second favourite for the job in East London. Jokanovic has been linked with West Ham United for several weeks and those rumours have not receded despite the former midfielder seemingly enjoying life at Craven Cottage.

After joining a struggling Fulham side in December 2015, Jokanovic has helped transform the club by winning 36 of his 87 matches in charge resulting in an impressive win rate of 41.38%.

http://the72.co.uk/91705/fulham-boss-continues-linked-west-ham-united-role/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic striving for entertainment and a cutting edge
IF football teams embody the characteristics of their managers then Fulham's Slavisa Jokanovic hides the playful, flamboyant side of his nature well.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has led his side to the edge of the play-offs

His stern exterior is supplemented by the imposing physique that served him well as a midfielder for Partizan Belgrade, three Spanish clubs, Chelsea and the Former Republic of Yugoslavia for more than a decade.

In press conferences, the 49-year-old Serb fixes his interrogator so firmly in the eye that you wonder if you have asked the wrong question.

And any Fulham players contemplating looking over to the touchline for guidance from their head coach would be forgiven for thinking better of it for fear of being frozen by the dark eyes glaring back at them.

Yet this most serious of demeanours belies Jokanovic's insistence that his side play football with joy in their heart, on the ground and with a pace and intricacy that make them irresistible to most Sky Bet Championship defences.

They may currently need a dozen chances to take one but Fulham create so many that it is surely a statistical anomaly that they have only managed exactly one goal per game so far this season.

Wednesday's 2-1 win over Hull means that, even after a fitful start to the season, Fulham lie only two points off the play-offs and six off the automatic promotion places.

"Many people want to compare my team to last season but I cannot compare it," said Jokanovic. "It is 11 new players and we are waiting for some important players to come back into the team.

"I cannot be satisfied at the moment. I'm satisfied by the effort. I'm satisfied with the spirit but at the moment we haven't built a winning spirit. Hull didn't put us under stress, in my opinion. We put a stress on ourselves."

Last season's late surge into the play-offs saw Fulham sweep aside opponents, even if Jokanovic did not betray his satisfaction on the outside.

Where he is just as open as his team is in his willingness to go beyond the usual trite cliches trotted out by so many managers.

Almost without fail, Jokanovic fills his programme notes with details of the specific areas on which he and his staff have been working with players. He goes further too, insisting that gaining points at all cost is not his way.

For Wednesday's visit of Hull, he wrote: "It's important that we don't move away from our philosophy; we always try to be true to our style against all opposition as this is the best way in which we can offer our best performance."

"Many people want to compare my team to last season but I cannot compare it," said Jokanovic. "It is 11 new players and we are waiting for some important players to come back into the team.

"I cannot be satisfied at the moment. I'm satisfied by the effort. I'm satisfied with the spirit but at the moment we haven't built a winning spirit. Hull didn't put us under stress, in my opinion. We put a stress on ourselves."

Last season's late surge into the play-offs saw Fulham sweep aside opponents, even if Jokanovic did not betray his satisfaction on the outside.

Where he is just as open as his team is in his willingness to go beyond the usual trite cliches trotted out by so many managers.

Almost without fail, Jokanovic fills his programme notes with details of the specific areas on which he and his staff have been working with players. He goes further too, insisting that gaining points at all cost is not his way.

For Wednesday's visit of Hull, he wrote: "It's important that we don't move away from our philosophy; we always try to be true to our style against all opposition as this is the best way in which we can offer our best performance."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/854230/Fulham-Slavisa-Jokanovic-Burton-Albion-Hull-Championship

WhiteJC

Fulham finally win at home but in unconvincing fashion

Fulham 2-1 Hull by Kaleem Aftab at Craven Cottage

FULHAM recorded their first victory at Craven Cottage this season, through goals from Floyd Ayite and Stefan Johansen in Wednesday night's otherwise dispiriting display.

When Fulham reached the play-offs last season it was on the strength of their away form. At home, for all their possession play, in the absence of captain Tom Cairney and when 17-year-old wunderkind Ryan Sessegnon is off-colour, they often lack the inventiveness to unlock defences and look pedestrian.

Fulham made hard work of beating a Hull City side seemingly content to soak up pressure and try to hit the home team on the break. It made for a cagey opening half as Fulham probed without ever looking threatening and Hull's forays into the Fulham half lacked a cutting edge.

Hull manager Leonid Slutsky said of the tactics: "This is the first time we have played so defensively. It was a reaction after an unbelievable 5-0 defeat on Friday and so we had lost a bit of confidence."

That feeling was not helped when just before the break Fulham finally broke the deadlock. Sheyi Ojo, on loan from Liverpool, burst down the left and his low cross was tapped into the net by Ayite.

The start of the second half saw Hull finally throw men forward and for 10 minutes the visitors dominated, although Fulham's Sessegnon will wonder how he missed from four yards out with the goal at his mercy.

Hull's Jarrod Bowen showed far more composure when he headed home at the second attempt for his fifth goal of the season on 53 minutes.

The lead did not last long. On 62 minutes Johansen showed great skill to place his shot into the top right-hand corner.

But Fulham could not kill the game and in the end were hanging on for victory when Hull threw caution to the wind.

It was a result that pleased Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic more than the style of victory. "Today we are satisfied with three points. I believe we were the better team but we must improve, be more clinical, show more concentration and be more competitive."

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-6c98-Fulham-finally-win-at-home-but-in-unconvincing-fashion

WhiteJC

How Sir Bobby Robson changed the make-up of modern football

IT IS A TRUE SIGN OF A FOOTBALLING GREAT when they are revered long after they have departed this world. Their legacy transcends barriers, overcomes criticism, and ultimately manifests itself in every blade of grass the beautiful game graces.

With every gruelling experience tucked under their belt, and every trophy triumphantly lifted, they set an insurmountable benchmark for their understudies to hopelessly grasp for. It may often be an effort in vain, but the mantle will fall to someone to carry on a legacy eventually, such is the circle of life.

It is a devastating and testing moment when someone important is taken from us. In all walks of life, others will strive to ensure their achievements aren't simply confined to the dusty back pages of record books, but are instead remembered and celebrated.

However, a cruel reality is that sometimes people will have nothing to leave behind. They may struggle to find a legacy to impart on others and truly show the good that they did during their lifetime. There will be many budding football managers, with their lofty ambitions centred around filling cabinets with glistening trophies, failing to set the world alight. The inescapable fact is that many of them will fail and will be forced to take up a job in some windswept far away country, rarely to be heard about again.

In the case of one very special man, that couldn't be further from reality. For he would have none of these reservations and dilemmas – after all, he was an inventor, a teacher and, most importantly, would leave behind a legacy so great that the very realms of the game continue to be defined by his success.

This man is Bobby Robson: surely one of the everlasting godfathers of the modern game.

Sir Bobby is one of a rapidly dying breed – a British manager who will forever be lauded. It is easy to side with the preconception of the stereotypical British manager; an individual who is tactically naive and ultimately never the long-term option for any job. However, Robson shrugged off these preconceptions and, while embarking on his own glittering managerial career, nurtured many others who would go on to become successful figures in the modern game.

Robson was born in Sacriston, County Durham, and was the fourth of five sons. Even at such a young age, he would find himself in constant competition with his siblings, while his father spent his days as a coal miner. When he wasn't deep within stifling subterranean tunnels, he would often take his sons to watch Newcastle United on Saturday afternoons, despite the stadium being a 34-mile round trip. It was here that Robson became mesmerised by the likes of Jackie Milburn and Len Shackleton, and his footballing interest truly began to rear its inquisitive head.

Despite his school's headmaster not allowing their football team to join a league, Robson played as much as he could, representing Langley Park Juniors at the age of 11 before he was promoted to the club's under-18 ranks. After impressing at this level, Bill Dodgin, the Fulham manager, paid a personal visit to Robson's household to offer him a professional contract. Robson snubbed the interests of Middlesbrough and opted to join the Cottagers, feeling that he had a better chance of breaking into the first-team fold there.

In 1950 Robson made his first professional appearance for Fulham, who had recently been promoted to the First Division. However, despite the experience, he couldn't help but view the Londoners simply as a "nice club", but "never serious, [or] championship-challenging". As if to prove his future nous, Fulham were relegated the next season. Robson jumped ship to West Bromwich Albion in 1956, moving for a then-club record fee of £25,000.

After making his debut for the Baggies, he went on to become their top goalscorer in the league the next year, hitting the back of the net 24 times. Despite being fielded typically as a midfielder, the future mastermind scored an impressive 61 goals from 257 games. However, following a disagreement with Albion's vice-chairman, Robson found himself back where his career really found its feet, at Fulham's Craven Cottage.

A largely unsuccessful five-year spell there saw a rather different sort of challenge present itself. Robson signed a contract with Canada's Vancouver Royals and would be their player-manager; the first step in one of the game's most romantic of managerial careers. However, things weren't to work out for the Englishman.

Robson was forced to share joint-ownership of the team with Hungarian legend, Ferenc Puskás. He would control the San Francisco section of the squad, while Robson would handle the Vancouver side. This partnership was doomed to fail from the beginning, and when Fulham offered him their vacant manager's position, Robson had no hesitations in taking up the role.

When he accepted the task in January 1968, his new club had been struggling, having collected a measly 16 points from the opening 24 games of their campaign. The challenge appeared to be a constant uphill struggle, and one that Robson was unable to overcome. Fulham were relegated that season and the Englishman walked away, leaving the club in the Second Division. In a cruel and ill-timed twist, Robson discovered that he had in fact been sacked by the club via an Evening Standard placard at Putney station.

Eventually, Robson would find success at his next club, Ipswich Town. He joined the Tractor Boys in 1969 and would lead his team to a remarkable fourth place in the First Division in the 1972/73 season, along with lifting the Texaco Cup. Throughout the next decade, Robson would instil stability and a winning ethos into the club, resulting in his side regularly finishing in the top six. This record was broken in one season, the 1977/78 campaign, but it was all to be forgotten as Robson led Ipswich to FA Cup glory.

The manager's glorious reign at Portman Road lasted 13 years, with the 1981 UEFA Cup also entering Ipswich's trophy cabinet after a 5-4 aggregate win over AZ Alkmaar. Sure enough, the Football Association came calling for Robson, who became England manager after rejecting a 10-year contract extension to remain at Portman Road.

Robson's international career started off poorly, but after his offer of resignation was rejected by the FA, England's fortunes began to change. The Three Lions qualified for the 1986 World Cup but were subsequently eliminated at the hands of Diego Maradona. After disappointment at the 1988 European Championships, the manager found himself under severe pressure, but, in typical Robson style, showed his grit and determination to rebuild.

England entered the 1990 World Cup in Italy as underdogs. However, after a stuttering start, they saw off the likes of Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon. West Germany were England's semi-final opponents, but Robson's team failed to progress after a penalty shootout defeat, despite the Three Lions showing their ferocious attacking intent throughout the course of the tournament.

Despite the upturn in the team's fortunes, Robson's departure after the tournament was planned, and his stunning managerial career was to take another twist – this time allowing present-day household names to take their first tender steps into coaching.

Two years at PSV saw the Dutch outfit win the league title in successive seasons, despite a lack of progress on European fronts. Robson then moved to Sporting CP in Portugal in July 1992. However, the Englishman was yet to learn the language and would require the services of an interpreter. This role not only required an extensive knowledge of linguistics but also of tactics; Robson would need to be able to inform players what would be required from them.

The chosen one was José Mourinho, who found himself in the right place at the right time. He had endured an unremarkable playing career, and soon turned to management. After a number of coaching courses, Mourinho took on some staff roles at various clubs, before becoming a crucial member of Robson's backroom staff at Sporting.

The two men had contrasting outlooks over the beautiful game, but it led to a harmonious and successful relationship. The younger coach preferred to approach games analytically so that no unpleasant surprises arose on match days. Robson, however, didn't have to rely on tactics as much, as players would be willing to go the extra mile because of the degree of admiration the football world had for the Englishman's extensive experience.

Robson allowed Mourinho to take on a more tactical role as their understanding grew, and the Portuguese would produce dossiers which would allow the manager to prepare his squad for upcoming fixtures. However, the two wouldn't remain at Sporting, as a third-place finish and early exit from the UEFA Cup meant Robson was sacked.

Sporting's rivals, Porto, were quick to hire the Englishman, with Mourinho installed as his assistant manager. Robson would find success at his former club's rivals, as he led his new side to the Portuguese Cup and successive league titles – earning the affectionate nickname 'Bobby Five-O' in the process. It was while Robson was helping facilitate the rise of a sleeping giant that he encountered a certain 16-year-old, who happened to live in the same apartment block.

Robson's international career started off poorly, but after his offer of resignation was rejected by the FA, England's fortunes began to change. The Three Lions qualified for the 1986 World Cup but were subsequently eliminated at the hands of Diego Maradona. After disappointment at the 1988 European Championships, the manager found himself under severe pressure, but, in typical Robson style, showed his grit and determination to rebuild.

England entered the 1990 World Cup in Italy as underdogs. However, after a stuttering start, they saw off the likes of Egypt, Belgium and Cameroon. West Germany were England's semi-final opponents, but Robson's team failed to progress after a penalty shootout defeat, despite the Three Lions showing their ferocious attacking intent throughout the course of the tournament.

Despite the upturn in the team's fortunes, Robson's departure after the tournament was planned, and his stunning managerial career was to take another twist – this time allowing present-day household names to take their first tender steps into coaching.

Two years at PSV saw the Dutch outfit win the league title in successive seasons, despite a lack of progress on European fronts. Robson then moved to Sporting CP in Portugal in July 1992. However, the Englishman was yet to learn the language and would require the services of an interpreter. This role not only required an extensive knowledge of linguistics but also of tactics; Robson would need to be able to inform players what would be required from them.

The chosen one was José Mourinho, who found himself in the right place at the right time. He had endured an unremarkable playing career, and soon turned to management. After a number of coaching courses, Mourinho took on some staff roles at various clubs, before becoming a crucial member of Robson's backroom staff at Sporting.

The two men had contrasting outlooks over the beautiful game, but it led to a harmonious and successful relationship. The younger coach preferred to approach games analytically so that no unpleasant surprises arose on match days. Robson, however, didn't have to rely on tactics as much, as players would be willing to go the extra mile because of the degree of admiration the football world had for the Englishman's extensive experience.

Robson allowed Mourinho to take on a more tactical role as their understanding grew, and the Portuguese would produce dossiers which would allow the manager to prepare his squad for upcoming fixtures. However, the two wouldn't remain at Sporting, as a third-place finish and early exit from the UEFA Cup meant Robson was sacked.

Sporting's rivals, Porto, were quick to hire the Englishman, with Mourinho installed as his assistant manager. Robson would find success at his former club's rivals, as he led his new side to the Portuguese Cup and successive league titles – earning the affectionate nickname 'Bobby Five-O' in the process. It was while Robson was helping facilitate the rise of a sleeping giant that he encountered a certain 16-year-old, who happened to live in the same apartment block.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/15/how-sir-bobby-robson-changed-the-make-up-of-modern-football/