Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2017, 08:51:47 PM
Quote from: Luka on September 23, 2017, 06:44:24 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: SG on September 18, 2017, 07:22:44 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 06:58:38 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on September 18, 2017, 06:37:17 PM
Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on September 18, 2017, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2017, 03:01:26 PM
Nobody is exempt from being dropped, but we all know by now that Sess is a better player when playing further up the pitch and Odoi is good enough to start at left back with Sess in front of him. 
You reap what you sow, and our failure to bring in a tall powerful quality centre back who is taller than 5 foot and a fag paper will bite us on the back side, if Middsboroughs big units have their way against our powder puff lightweight defence, but I have been saying this for months that we need a big unit ourselves.
If Burton can score against us, then anyone can.
On the other hand Fulham could turn it on its head and win, who knows with Fulham, and that's the main problem, no consistency.

Disagree that we needed a tall centre back. You don't get them cheap if they're good with the ball at their feet, something essential to our style.

Agree agree

Sheep, just like some of the players.

The way to play against big units is to cut off the supply to them. That means full backs cutting out crosses, it means a mid field player closing down the man with the ball, it means goalkeepers coming to collect the crossed ball. It does not necessarily mean a big lump of a centre half. That is the way SJ plays it and they managed to keep Zahore completely under wraps. Ba Ba  :003:

Let's see how they handle Middlesbrough then. Cause if they fail, then there will be plenty of sheep shearing to do, and your wool will be the first to go.

Thought we coped with the BIG Middlesbrough side well today.....🤡

We coped better, but unfortunately our shortcomings defensively came back to haunt us, as we failed defend a set piece, in this case corner once again, and could not cope for more that two minutes to defend a lead we deservedy earned, and with only a few minutes left when we took the lead, that is so frustrating and gutting.
The problem is, because of the frailties in our timid defence. We need to score at least two goals to guarantee any chance of a victory, and we are failing to score enough and failing to keep clean sheets and defend a lead for a short period of time.
Until that improves both ends of the pitch, we will be rueing the failure to address our shortcomings before the season began.
So in regards to needing a big lump at centre back to cope with Middlesbrough your thoughts now are what ?
Just asking because you were pretty much balls out about it being a must have before, especially with your comments made regarding sheep and shearing etc.

Yes and I stand by that, and if we had a big lump centre back marshalling our defense. Then maybe our defensive frailties would not have been exposed once again.
Sheep and Sheering is still on the agenda, and my special guest will be Alan Sheerer. 🐑

Forget our failure to clear for their gaol, that was just poor defending from more than one player. The question was, did we miss a lump of a CB today or did we cope with their physical presence without one ?

Yes we did miss a commanding big unit of a centre back, which in my opinion we miss every match. Today we coped better but still cannot keep a clean sheet because defensively we can be fragile. We coped better as they were missing good forwards who were injured, so maybe the defence got off the hook on this occasion.
But when a team starts throwing players forward including the kitchen sink, that's when we are seen to lack a presence more in the defence, as well as a serious lack of depth, and when players are pulled out of positiion, and lose our shape due to not coping with pressure, that results in the Fulham players in defensive areas failing to restore the balance quick enough.

We had enough to win this game. We matched them and then some everywhere. While I understand the "they don't score we can't loose" mentality the fact remains that we had enough chances in the game to win by a good margin. Sess missed a sitter and AK should have had a brace. Their goal was a consequence of a number of mistakes within a 10 second period and from more than one player. It certainly was not because we didn't  have a big CB. 
We did not get overrun by a big Middlesbrough side as you predicted. The "Powder puffs" did fine.
The overriding issue again was our inability to execute in front of goal.

The powder puffs let in a powder puff goal, because we gave no big unit, no prescence in the heart of the defence who can marshal his players around him.
I accept we played very well in periods of play, but our defence is lightweight and vulnerable.
That is confirmed by the very few clean sheets we collect.
But then again, if we took our chances up front then, conceding a late goal would not be quite so costly.
So there are problems at both ends. Forwards don't score, puts pressure on defence not to concede.
Defence cannot keep a clean sheet, which puts pressure on forwards to score more.
Not a recipe for success.

OK "we have no one marshalling the other players around him" is your argument.
So to enable someone to do that,  is it a prerequisite that they have to be a big lump now ?

Woolly Mammoth

We certainly need a big unit or presence in the defence it would serve us better, probably lump Is not the the right description, it's just a terminology. It would not surprise me if we currently have one of the smallest defences in the League, and I wonder why.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Luka

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 24, 2017, 04:43:45 PM
We certainly need a big unit or presence in the defence it would serve us better, probably lump Is not the the right description, it's just a terminology.
True leaders of men do not need size to have a presence.

Anyway getting back to the point, I think we met a big Middlesbrough team head on an coped very well. Definitely not what you predicted last week when you were giving it the big one about sheep and shearing etc.
Just pointing that out, nothing more.

filham

Getting back to the main point of the post, Sess,
He seemed under a lot of pressure defensively in the first half agannst Boro but that cross from which AK47 scored was an absolute delight.
No doubt at all Sess. should be played in an advanced forward position.

Luka

My only concern with Sess is he is going get burn out mid season. He's a youngster that's still maturing physically. While he is definatley first eleven it might be prudent to rotate him or give him reduced minutes.  Maybe when Soares finally appears that'll be  a viable option but until then he needs to start.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Luka on September 24, 2017, 04:55:04 PM
We certainly need a big unit or presence in the defence it would serve us better, probably lump Is not the the right description, it's just a terminology.

Anyway getting back to the point, I think we met a big Middlesbrough team head on an coped very well. Definitely not what you predicted last week when you were giving it the big one about sheep and shearing etc.
Just pointing that out, nothing

I completely dissagree, with you, I shall keep giving it the big one,  and seeing as you keep pointing it out and nothing more, I was proved right.
Got to go to work, that's my lot. I have no more to say on the matter, your opinion has become repetitive, and your boring the loin cloth off me.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Luka

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 24, 2017, 05:51:58 PM

Just pointing that out, nothing

I completely dissagree, with you, I shall keep giving it the big one,  and seeing as you keep pointing it out and nothing more, I was proved right.
Got to go to work, that's my lot. I have no more to say on the matter, your opinion has become repetitive, and your boring the loin cloth off me.

You lost me with that little rant, not sure what your point was about being proved right but have a lovely evening at work anyway.

Twig

I fail to understand those who argue for "a big lump" or other similar terms. I know we conceded against Borough from a corner but it had nothing to do with size or height and I actually think our CB's have a good spring in them.  The way we play, our back four all need decent pace, good ball control and distribution.  If we happen to find a large CB who has all those virtues then so much the better but I don't see it as an outright priority.
Some have morphed the argument from big lump to leadership and presence. Fine, perhaps Ream, Kalas and our FB's lack that quality but it's nothing to do with size.

Bill2

Quote from: Twig on September 25, 2017, 03:01:07 PM
I fail to understand those who argue for "a big lump" or other similar terms. I know we conceded against Borough from a corner but it had nothing to do with size or height and I actually think our CB's have a good spring in them.  The way we play, our back four all need decent pace, good ball control and distribution.  If we happen to find a large CB who has all those virtues then so much the better but I don't see it as an outright priority.
Some have morphed the argument from big lump to leadership and presence. Fine, perhaps Ream, Kalas and our FB's lack that quality but it's nothing to do with size.
I thought on the day and it seems right our problem for the goal was the poor clearance after a rubbish corner. The corner did not clear the first man and at that point in the game you should always look to put the ball as far away as possible, lump it out for a throw in as far up the pitch as you can. We had the chance on Saturday instead we seemed to play it back just outside of the box. It was packed with players of both sides and just a lucky bounce which happened and they scored.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Luka on September 25, 2017, 04:30:43 PM
Quote from: Bill2 on September 25, 2017, 03:07:26 PM
I thought on the day and it seems right our problem for the goal was the poor clearance after a rubbish corner. The corner did not clear the first man and at that point in the game you should always look to put the ball as far away as possible, lump it out for a throw in as far up the pitch as you can. We had the chance on Saturday instead we seemed to play it back just outside of the box. It was packed with players of both sides and just a lucky bounce which happened and they scored.

There is a lot of rehtoric written regarding our defence and its lack of capability.
Yet to date only three teams in the league have conceded FEWER than us.

This was the same in the summer and people said our defence wasn't good enough and then I pointed out we had the 7th best defence. I think that fans obviously see the flaws in our players constantly, for us I think our biggest issue is when Ream or Kalas dillydallies at the back with the ball rather than knocking it forward quicker. This builds it up in our minds as a problem. We don't see the fact that Terry is having a shocker at Villa or Bolton have conceded 19 goals in 9 games.

Also we are 7th on goals conceded not 4th.

Luka

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 25, 2017, 04:36:26 PM

There is a lot of rehtoric written regarding our defence and its lack of capability.

This was the same in the summer and people said our defence wasn't good enough and then I pointed out we had the 7th best defence. I think that fans obviously see the flaws in our players constantly, for us I think our biggest issue is when Ream or Kalas dillydallies at the back with the ball rather than knocking it forward quicker. This builds it up in our minds as a problem. We don't see the fact that Terry is having a shocker at Villa or Bolton have conceded 19 goals in 9 games.

I can only see Leeds , Preston and Borough on less than 8 but thats not the point.
We are in fact pretty good defensively.

hovewhite

Don't believe we are that bad defensively just lack the confidence in ourselves.
Also with djalo on the bench he needs to come on and help and the sooner the better as sub towards the end at expense of a forward.

ffc73

Thought Odoi was unlucky to be hooked at half time today. Sess looked lost in midfield tonight. Better in second half but they all were

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Luka on September 25, 2017, 04:45:03 PM
Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on September 25, 2017, 04:36:26 PM

I can only see Leeds , Preston and Borough on less than 8 but thats not the point.
We are in fact pretty good defensively.

Sorry you are right, my mistake my good man.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on September 25, 2017, 06:22:02 PM
Yes joint 4th with 3 other teams... which sounds good... but I think that misleading.

We're supposed to be one of the best teams in the league so most teams we play are content just to sit back, play for a draw and let us pass it around a lot.

When they actually attack us, which they usually decide to do immediately after we score, we look awful defensively and in those particular windows of time, we give goals away like sweets.   

I think it is partially misleading because for 90% of most matches we look pretty secure and our goals against record tends to bear that out. But for the remaining 10%, which as you rightly say is usually after we have scored, we are pants. 
So our defensive problem seems quite a specific one and to me at least, it appears to be primarily an issue for a sports psychologist.