Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (20/09/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 20, 2017, 07:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham striker hopes to have taken his opportunity

Woodrow bagged on his first start in his loan spell with Bristol City

Making a point: Woodrow celebrates a goal for Fulham

Fulham's Cauley Woodrow was delighted to get off the mark for loan club Bristol City in their 4-1 win over Derby County on Saturday - and hopes it will be the first of many.

The 22 year old striker joined Championship rivals City on a season-long loan back in August having found his chances at Craven Cottage limited.

Woodrow, whose only action with Fulham this season was in the Carabao Cup win at Wycombe, managed just two substitute appearances for City before the weekend.

But handed his first start against Derby, he repaid manager Lee Johnson's faith in him by scoring their equaliser and sparking a stunning second half comeback.

"I have waited for my opportunity and thankfully it has now come," Woodrow told BCTV. "I am delighted to cap my first start with a goal and obviously the most important thing is that we got the win."

Having finally got his first start, Woodrow is unavailable for City's Carabao Cup game against Stoke tomorrow night, having been cup-tied after playing in that Wycombe game.

But the former England U21 international, who spent much of last season on loan at Burton Albion, hopes his goal on Saturday has given his manager food for thought.

"As a player, whenever you get your chance to play you have to do your best," he added. "I can't play on Tuesday, so I was pleased to get off the mark today and do my bit for the team.

"I also got some minutes, which I have been lacking, so it is good for my fitness, and it was great to get the win. There is a lot of competition as there are some great forward players here."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-striker-thrilled-mark-13640690

WhiteJC

Aston Villa Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's match against Aston Villa this October go on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members at 10am on Wedensday 20th September.

The Whites make their only away trip of the month on Saturday 21st October (kick-off 3pm) with tickets priced at £30 for adults, £20 for over 65s, full time students and members of the armed forces, £17 for under 21s and just £10 for under 16s.

Tickets will go on General Sale from Tuesday 26th September.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/19/aston-villa-away-tickets

WhiteJC

The 6 most promising talents in the Championship

The Championship is home to some of the brightest young talents in the country. We take a look at 6 youngsters who look destined for great careers-

1. Ryan Sessegnon, Fulham- The 17 year-old has already caught the eye for Fulham last season. He agreed his first professional contract with Fulham in the summer, despite strong interest from Tottenham Hotspur. He made his debut for Fulham against Leeds in August 2016, at the age of just 16, and hasn't looked back since. He nailed down a first-team place for Fulham and was named in the PFA Championship team of the year.

2. David Brooks, Sheffield United- The 20 year-old was named player of the tournament in Toulon tournament in the summer for England U21s. He was set to join Chesterfield on loan this season but Sheffield United pulled the plug on a deal, showing their intention to play him this season.

3. Keinan Davis, Aston Villa- The 19 year-old was released by Stevenage in 2015 and attracted the attention of Aston Villa whilst playing for Biggleswade Town. Steve Bruce has given the striker a chance in the first-team this season and he scored his first senior goal for Villa against Barnsley on Saturday.

4. Ben Brereton, Nottingham Forest- He burst onto the scene for Forest in February last year when he scored the winner against Aston Villa at the age of just 17. Now 18, he has signed a new long-term contract with Forest and is a regular for the first-team.

5. George Hirst, Sheffield Wednesday- The 18 year-old was England's top scorer at the Toulon tournament in the summer, which took his tally to 40 goals for the season in all competitions for club and country. Many are tipping him for a big future.

6. Ronaldo Viera, Leeds- The 19 year-old was at the Benfica academy before having various trials at English clubs. Leeds took a gamble on him and it has paid off. He has played over 30 games for the Whites since joining.

http://the72.co.uk/91889/6-promising-talents-championship/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham and Norwich City following Kilmarnock's Jordan Jones

The Fulham and Norwich linked talent is on the verge of his first international call up, according to the Scottish Daily Mail.

English Championship sides Fulham and Norwich City are following Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones, the Scottish Daily Mail reports on page 82 of its printed edition on Tuesday.

Jones, who scored his first goal of the campaign in Killie's 1-1 draw at Aberdeen on Saturday, moved to Rugby Park in 2016 from hometown team, Middlesbrough.

The 22-year-old hit form towards the end of last season, finding the net three times in his final seven appearances - and a return south of the border could be on the cards with Fulham and Norwich credited with interest.

Neither club are particularly short of wingers, however, with Fulham adding Rui Fonte, Yohan Mollo, Sheyi Ojo and Jordan Graham to an already congested pool, and Norwich doing likewise with Marley Watkins.

Jones, who also had spells on loan at Hartlepool United and Cambridge United, is being earmarked for a call up to Michael O'Neill's Northern Ireland squad, according to the Scottish Daily Mail.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/09/19/report-fulham-and-norwich-city-following-kilmarnocks-jordan-jone/

WhiteJC

What does Fulham's owner have in common with Bono, Donald Trump, Richard Branson and Oprah Winfrey?

Confused? Read on to find out...

Shahid Khan

Fulham FC chairman and owner Shahid Khan has been listed as one The World's 100 Greatest Living Business Minds by Forbes magazine.

Celebration it's 100th anniversary, the Forbes centenary edition features essays from what it sees as today's most influential business leaders around the world – with Khan amongst them.

As well as his Fulham involvement, Khan is CEO of Flex-N-Gate Corporation, owner and chairman of the Jacksonville Jaguars and of the Four Seasons Hotel Toronto.

"My business goals have been consistent with my personal goals, and that's to be distinctive and not only be unafraid of doing difficult things, but commit to doing those things well so they can inspire others and make a difference in the lives of everyone," Khan said.

"To be recognized by Forbes for my efforts in this respect is a lifetime honor. This would have been unimaginable when I arrived here 50 years ago and I find it a bit surreal today to see my name on a list of 100 amazing men and women who are world class in everything they touch. My American Dream continues."

Born in Lahore, Pakistan, in 1950, Khan left his family in 1967 to study engineering at the University of Illinois, where he earned a degree in industrial engineering in 1971 before landing a job at nearby Flex-N-Gate, a companyy he would later go on to buy. He branched out to buy the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2011 and Fulham in 2013.

Other honorees featured on Forbes' 100 Greatest Living Business Minds list include Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, Paul McCartney, Oprah Winfrey, Donald Trump, Bono, Richard Branson, P. Diddy and Rupert Murdoch.

Although Khan's first few years as Fulham owner were difficult ones – with relegation from the Premier League, managerial instability and a nightmare first two seasons back in the Championship – the Whites appear, over the past year, to be finally heading back in the right direction.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-fulhams-owner-common-bono-13642659

WhiteJC

Arrive Early

Following last week's incident at Parsons Green, the Club would like to advise all supporters attending the fixture between Fulham and Middlesbrough this Saturday, 3pm kick-off, that there will be a high level of security at all entry points to Craven Cottage in the interest of safety.

Fans are therefore encouraged to allow plenty of time for their journey in order to arrive at the ground early, to avoid any delays entering the stadium.

We encourage all guests not to bring any bags to Craven Cottage. Please be aware that we do not have on site locker facilities for guests to store their items during their visit and any large bags will need to be deposited at our left luggage facility at the Bridge Academy on Finlay Street.

Small bags and transparent carrier bags are permitted into the Ground. For your safety and the safety of all guests, our friendly Search Teams may check bags on entry.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this matter.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/19/arrive-early

WhiteJC

Macca: Unacceptable Display

Kevin McDonald was frank in his assessment of Fulham's trip to Burton Albion on Saturday afternoon.

A below par performance from the Whites contributed to a second defeat of the season, and our stand-in captain made no excuses.

"It was nowhere near good enough at all, it wasn't acceptable from every one of us individually, and as a team," he told the official website. "There's no hiding from the fact that we were well off it on the day.

"We set our standards high for the season ahead and, no disrespect to Burton, but we've got to go there and get three points if we're going to get top-six or top-two.

"Everyone's so disappointed with it and now we've got to pick ourselves up ahead of a hard game with Middlesbrough, which will be a really tough one."

McDonald empathised with the supporters who journeyed to the Pirelli Stadium at the weekend, as some 1,200 made the trip home disappointed.

"I'm with them on it," he stated. "If that was me I'd be shouting and screaming from the stands saying it wasn't good enough, which it wasn't, and I think every single one of us in the dressing room would say so.

"We exchanged words after the game and, what can I say, we've got to do so much better than that. We haven't got to improve 10 per cent, we've got to improve 30/40 per cent to be anywhere near challenging.

"It was a very bad day at the office, and Burton will be buzzing after getting a great result against a good Fulham side, but it wasn't acceptable for anyone."

The game's major talking point came not long after half-time when referee Stephen Martin awarded the hosts a penalty.

The reasons for the decision were unclear to the majority inside the ground, and as Captain it was McDonald's responsibility to try and get to the bottom of it.

"No-one really knew what had happened at all," he recalled. "Looking back, I still don't know exactly what it was. I was behind the players so knew that I hadn't touched him at all.

"I spoke to the referee to find out the reason behind it, and he said Sessegnon kicked the Burton lad.

"Now, their player had already kicked the ball away by the time that Sess maybe clipped him, if he did, but the ref told me it was a definite penalty. I spoke to Sess after and he said he hardly touched him, if at all.

"I explained that it looked soft and that it was a bad, bad decision, and when you watch it back now it looks even softer. When people are looking and are not sure where the foul is, then you know it's not a good one. But you can get penalties for anything these days."

Boro provide the next opposition for the Whites at Craven Cottage this weekend, and McDonald realises the importance of giving a reaction.

"We seem to do well against the better teams for some reason," he said. "There was a mentality that we should be expecting to beat Burton, and that's so far from the way it should be.

"We should be approaching every single game the exact same way, whether it's Burton or Newcastle, last year, for example.

"It will be a tough one Saturday, definitely. They spent 30-odd million and they're a strong team who don't give much away. They stay in their shape and make it hard to break them down, so we'll need to be at the top of our game to win that one.

"We need to go into that and, first of all, put in a really good performance, because the fans deserve that, and if we do that then I'm sure we'll come away with a win."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/19/kevin-mcdonald-unacceptable-display

WhiteJC

Norwich linked with Jordan Jones

Norwich City and Fulham are preparing to go head to head as they look to land Kilmarnock winger Jordan Jones, according to reports.

The 22-year-old has been impressive for the Scottish side, and has attracted interest from a plethora of English clubs following a positive spell of form at Kilmarnock.

Jones joined Lee McCulloch's side last year from Norwich's fellow Championship contenders Middlesbrough, and his performances since the move have caught the eye of many.

Although his time at Boro wasn't particularly successful, it's claimed in the printed edition of the Scottish Daily Mail, as cited by Football League World, that the Canaries and Fulham want to land the winger.

Jones was a full international for Northern Ireland's Under-19 side despite having been born in England, and the tricky wide man could look to make his mark on the English game following an already-promising spell at Rugby Park.

The report states that Norwich and Fulham are weighing up a January move for Jones.

http://readnorwich.com/2017/09/19/norwich-linked-jordan-jones/