watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Surface

Started by Andy S, September 24, 2017, 11:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Does the surface we are playing on have an affect? The pitch was relayed in the summer and dispite the amount of water deposited before the game and again at half time, there is no evidence of any cutting up of the grass. So does the new pitch have any affect on how we play or the speed of the ball?

filham

Pitch looked good and I felt the spray from the watering before the match.
Can never understand why the pitch is watered jus before KO, surely it results in a slippery surface and a risk of injury.

hovewhite

Quote from: filham on September 24, 2017, 11:59:51 AM
Pitch looked good and I felt the spray from the watering before the match.
Can never understand why the pitch is watered jus before KO, surely it results in a slippery surface and a risk of injury.
Agree,that's something I do not get?

cmg

I believe that modern footballers like the way the ball comes off the wet surface at a fast and slick pace. It also doesn't bounce too high and the wet surface is more forgiving when you go to ground.

These days the ground doesn't get muddy nor does the ball get heavy. If it did the players would probably be less keen.

Mind you, in the olden days, mud was the British footballers preferred surface. There is the well known story of how Wolves brought the all-conquering Honved side down (is this fair?) to their level by tuning on the hoses on the Molineaux pitch after a week of incessant rain!

filham

Quote from: cmg on September 24, 2017, 01:22:11 PM
I believe that modern footballers like the way the ball comes off the wet surface at a fast and slick pace. It also doesn't bounce too high and the wet surface is more forgiving when you go to ground.

These days the ground doesn't get muddy nor does the ball get heavy. If it did the players would probably be less keen.

Mind you, in the olden days, mud was the British footballers preferred surface. There is the well known story of how Wolves brought the all-conquering Honved side down (is this fair?) to their level by tuning on the hoses on the Molineaux pitch after a week of incessant rain!
The desirable soft ground would be achieved with watering well before the start if the match , this very late watering can only result it wet grass.

JoelH5

I know the groundsman at Fulham. We've used a new type of surface this year. It's semi-synthetic
I was there, standing in the Putney end

cmg

Quote from: filham on September 24, 2017, 05:39:02 PM
Quote from: cmg on September 24, 2017, 01:22:11 PM

The desirable soft ground would be achieved with watering well before the start if the match , this very late watering can only result it wet grass.

...which is exactly what they want. They want a slick surface, not soft going.

JoelH5

The coaching team want the grass as short as possible. It's a quicker surface which suits our passing play. They water speeds it up too
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Twig

Quote from: JoelH5 on September 24, 2017, 05:59:53 PM
I know the groundsman at Fulham. We've used a new type of surface this year. It's semi-synthetic

Sorry but what is semi-synthetic grass?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on September 25, 2017, 03:04:32 PM

When smoked through a pipe it only half blows your mind.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

The groundsfolk I have spoken to say it stops the grass tearing up and divots forming, and, as already stated. players and coaches prefer the slicker surface.  I have to say the pitch at Craven Cottage looks really good this season but then it has always has had a good reputation in recent times. 

FFCAli

It does seem a bit pointless watering it 2 minutes after it's stopped raining.

BestOfBrede

I think it's half Jewish?

AlexW132

Half real grass half plastic