watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - FIFA scrap ban on poppies

Started by GloucesterWhite, September 25, 2017, 09:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloucesterWhite

The home countries will now be allowed to wear poppy emblems on shirts following a climbdown by FIFA. Common sense at last.

Marcel_Gecov

Christ, I forgot this was a thing. Has Infantino finally finished his GCSE history?

Woolly Mammoth

I don't think he ever started it.
Common sense prevails at long last.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Neil D

A sensible decision from our point of view but I think FIFA has opened a can of worms with this one.  National teams will be queuing up to display commemorative emblems on their shirts which will be anything but non-political.  How about Serbia displaying a commemoration of the Battle of Kosovo (1389) when they fought an invading Ottoman (Moslem) army?  That was in June so may only be an issue for the Euros but it's a big deal for the Serbs and their national identity.

Lighthouse

International sport promotes pointless Nationalism. We get all excited about poppies and attack those that don't wear them and forget why so many of our ancestors died to protect basic freedoms of choice. However while this is common sense it will be hijacked as a good excuse to  go too far by some Country somewhere.

My parents fought in the second World War and many of their relatives fell in the first. I know of two great Uncles who were brothers and died at separate times at Ypres. But while private remembrance is one thing and Remembrance Sunday or Remembrance day in many other Countries is right and proper. I don't really care if a bunch of millionaires who have no connection to the war and little connection to my Country wear a poppy or not.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope