watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How our style and tactics have evolved

Started by FulhamStu, September 30, 2017, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

I am going to write 4 threads as don't want to post something too long, however if the mods want to join them up then that's good with me. 094.gif

In the past 2 seasons we have evolved from ball retention at all cost, sideways passing at the back and in areas of no danger, to keeping possession as a priority but with committed attacking using both full backs and leaving 2 exposed defenders to cover onto what we have now, a counter attacking team that draws you in then gets the ball forward much quicker, sacrificing possession at time with more direct and quicker forward passing.  This has been very evident especially away from home.  Whilst doing that we are leaving an extra defender often Fredricks with the central defenders to cover when our attack breaks down.   This has resulted in a tighter defence but less goals and is still work in progress.

A good example of this is from our won goal kicks.  Opposing teams know we will not go long, so push up to 4 players onto ours trying to receive the ball Button.  We still however pass it out then via one touch quick passing transfer the ball and break taking those 4 players out of play to find the space behind.   This is very high risk and scares the life out of me, however so far we seem to be getting away with it.

hovewhite

Certain times last night seeing button pass it out worried me a lot but we seem comfartable with it,which i think now is because we have a settled defence who know each others strengths and weaknesses.

Maccy91

Unfortunately playing out from the back the way we do is extremely dangerous and we will get caught out doing it eventually...the key is to enjoy the games that it works (like last night, just) and not get too emotional and start pointing fingers at players when we do get caught, its just the nature of the beast

andyk

When teams decide to press in numbers up against the back four and goalkeeper it can be a bit nervy, but this is, actually, what the coaches want the opposition to do. QPR were putting 3 or 4 players into the last third of the pitch when we had possession. If the players can by pass them quickly with accurate passing/movement, this leaves  lots of space for an attack to develop.
We will, almost certainly, get caught out a few times, but overall I am delighted to see us trying to pass the ball from goalkeeper, to defence to midfield to attack, instead of always lumping the ball up to a non-existent old style centre forward.
In the final few minutes QPR had some success with this tactic, but if you aspire to Premier League football, it's a waste  of time.