watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

where we are..

Started by General, September 30, 2017, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Managed to watch the whole game yesterday and have to admit it wasn't the prettiest performance I've seen us play under Slav but credit definitely goes to the team as others have mentioned for this new found ability to win ugly.

My main observation though is for the most part our front three were the least effective of the starting 11. They haven't developed an understanding with one another and all come across (Ojo and Mollo in particular) as selfish.. constantly trying to take the ball on themselves instead of look for the others who may be in better positions. They lacked fluidity and also fontes first touch on a number of occasions really didn't help. I was reminded last year of our front players and how they managed to control the ball and hold it up if isolated to bring others into play and noticed the significant difference in struggling to get a good first touch to the ball vs being able to get the ball and keep it and either attack or hold up play.

The shift in momentum and what it means to our game is huge.. I'm not sure we have a player like that up front who can do both and see that as a significant difference between last season and this... Aluko and Martin could do this..

It made me wonder about the statistical approach to the transfer policy and what is actually taken into account.

BUT...

That all being said and despite setting the league alight I have to temper my frustrations with a more positive outlook..

I personally don't remember us being this close to the top 6 so early on last year, having played most of the top teams already and havinghardly lost a game.. when added to the fact as Slav said that we had 4 new starting players yesterday - Norwood, Ojo, Mollo, fonte then you could start to think of that as actually quite the accomplishment.

Now to consider almost half a first team is new and see slavisa still manage to get them into a winning unit and have the consistency in trying to get them playing the same way is in my books very impressive, but what excites me more is that we've made it to the international break and can say two things..

Firstly it looks like we've started turning our form around and have gone from draws to eeking out wins (last two away and more in last six) but having done this without cairney and other key injuries we're now hopefully and seemingly close to seeing those players we've clearly missed make their way back from injuries.

I don't know what understanding they have but when Mcdonald, Johansen and cairney are all on the same pitch together we'rea different team.. and to be so close to the top 6, winning games and with our best players coming back into the fold we may have weathered the storm and be three months ahead of where we were last season. Worth feeling optimistic about for sure.

SuffolkWhite

The squad depth is beginning to tell, if we had these injuries last season we would have kissed goodbye to the Play Offs for sure.

Players still need time to gel, but it is happening and as you say once the others come back in to the team we can be more consistent.

International break is a good thing right now.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

cookieg

I have a mate who supports QPR and he really liked our front three, Mollo especially and was glad when he went off. He thought that Ojo flattered to deceive though.

He couldn't believe how comfortable we were playing out from the back even when there were 2-3 QPR players around the box and as for MacDonald, he should be paying on the Premier League.

Different views all round but what a 3 points!!

hovewhite

Good way to sign off before the break get some of the injured bodies back in to the mix and its looking good to  string back to back wins together ,including a 100 minutes at qpr  shows slavs managing a tough start very well.coyw

Twig

Quote from: cookieg on September 30, 2017, 10:12:47 AM
I have a mate who supports QPR and he really liked our front three, Mollo especially and was glad when he went off. He thought that Ojo flattered to deceive though.

He couldn't believe how comfortable we were playing out from the back even when there were 2-3 QPR players around the box and as for MacDonald, he should be paying on the Premier League.

Different views all round but what a 3 points!!

I thought Mollo looked very promising, the other two look like they need more time to settle.  Agree completely regards playing out from the back, breathtaking sometimes (if a little scary at times).

toshes mate

I have shared my reservations about what has happened at Fulham since the end of last season, my main bug bear being the handling of transfers, both in and out.  My reason for feeling that preseason was a huge mistake was because it sets you back at least six weeks into a new season before seeing stuff gel on the pitch.  We should retain all our best players and only sell on when we have attained better replacements and that means every replacement must be tried and tested and not taken on trust because of price paid.

However, having said all that, I have huge regard for SJ and his ability to get the best from anyone even if that means they never figure in the first team (if you get my meaning).  As he did last season, SJ continues to find the round holes for the round players and the square holes for the square ones, with the triangles being allowed to play a big role in the possession game.   The team for this season is different to last season and it is beginning to knit together but I don't believe it will replicate last year - I think it'll do even better for the very reason we have not started as badly as I thought we might, and last night's win was an example of how different we are in terms of character when embattled.  It still doesn't mitigate against the criticism I make of the recruitment team no matter how well we do but I hope when we secure promotion Mr Khan Jnr is the first to say FFC owe it to SJ, his staff and the players, and not to the recruitment team who must do a hell of a lot better in consolidating our place in the PL.

filham

Just consider last nights attack:-

Mollo           Fonte          Ojo

Norwood        Johansen

Last seasons attack;-

Kebano       Ayite        Aluko

Cairney Johansen

No doubt in my mind which was the stronger and which was scoring more goals.

Just hope that the current attack will develop quickly into a better force. Of course we desperately need to see a fit Cairney return.

Twig

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2017, 03:19:25 PM
Just consider last nights attack:-

Mollo           Fonte          Ojo

Norwood        Johansen

Last seasons attack;-

Kebano       Ayite        Aluko

Cairney Johansen

No doubt in my mind which was the stronger and which was scoring more goals.

Just hope that the current attack will develop quickly into a better force. Of course we desperately need to see a fit Cairney return.

Well it will be Kebano for Ojo and Cairnet for Norwood v soon and it will be interesting to see how that group fair as a strike force, especially with AK in the mix.