more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Building from the back

Started by BedsFFC, September 30, 2017, 12:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

I have to say, I love that we do it.

There is also a part of me that loves that opposition know that we do it and will try and take advantage. As a fan, you sense the opposition fans excitement as we knock it about on the edge of the box and their players go in for the kill. Rangers fans sensed blood in the first 20 minutes and then realised we were very good at it and they weren't getting a look in and didn't get quite so excited.

I think even some of our fans that were quite vocal in their dislike of it are even starting to understand it. It's a risk v reward situation. It was on about 15 minutes when it really worked, we really pulled their midfielders in and with 4 or 5 quick passes got Ojo away on the right in loads of space. Qpr seemed to hold back a bit after that. Obviously, the back 4 (and keeper) are key but so is every other player in terms of their movement. TC does help and I really think it improved him as a player as it played to his strengths which are ball control and retention. KMac has also improved in this so much, especially in TC's absence. It is a rare skill with certain players that you know that, even with players close to them, they won't lose the ball.

The difference in styles was so obvious last night and Holloway has always been really complimentary about our style. The thing is, I'm pretty sure his players could do it. I was impressed with their midfield and they were more than capable of coming deep to receive and keeping hold of the ball but time after time Smithies would just launch it. (on reflection, their defenders would struggle I think)

Last season we did use the cross-field pass from keeper to wide fullback, who would normally head up the line. We tried this with Sess a few times and I'm not sure Sess will ever have this in his locker. Heading is one skill and heading when under pressure is an altogether more difficult task. I don't think I'm being unkind if I say he's not a natural at this and pretty much every time this is essentially giving the opposition possession.

You are very close to the action at qpr and you really see how hard our back 4 work throughout the whole match. They work as hard in possession as they do without and I doubt there are any championship defenders that have to be so focused when in possesion. I struggle to think where Ryan could be getting as good a place to learn his trade than under Slavisa right now. He's being asked to do everything a left sided player could do, every match. He's got a lot to learn but his first touch is phenomenal

hovewhite

its something mccarthy at ipswich mentioned when we wone there last month,about how hard our players work without the ball as when in possesion.

filham

I think Ream fits the system nicely , he is good on the ball.

There are  some close shaves from time to time and you do feel that an incident with us giving away a soft goal is always on the cards.

Whitesideup

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2017, 06:09:29 PM
I think Ream fits the system nicely , he is good on the ball.

There are  some close shaves from time to time and you do feel that an incident with us giving away a soft goal is always on the cards.

That's the risk part of risk and reward. Alternatively, heave it up in the air to all the 6 foot 5 inch defenders and have the ball come back within 10 seconds .. every time. Or get Matt Smith back, have Holloway, McCarthy or Pulis as manager. I prefer the risk option.

Twig

Good post reflects my thoughts post QPR pretty accurately.

hovewhite

the qpr game friday was a great example and it is at times scary but we look much better after a season doing it from button through the defensive unit.

Ftfm

Can understand the apprehension. But what's the alternative a launch up the park? Given the team doesn't have the tallest forwards -bar Kamara- the odds must be on the ball returning pronto to Fulham's half.