watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Penalties again

Started by SP, September 30, 2017, 04:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Back in the day when you could get on the pitch from time to time, I recall standing on the Putney End penalty spot & wondering how anyone could miss from such close quarters.  Admittedly, we didn't have a 6 foot goalie in front of us.  This got me wondering, has anyone ever taken a penalty on the pitch?  If so, did you score?

Keynsham

On the pitch at the Cottage, or just any old pitch?

gang

Yes, I have both faced and taken a penalty. It's surprising how close the spot looks from the goal when facing and how far away when taking them.

Woolly Mammoth

I took a penalty on the Craven Cottage Pitch under floodlights in midweek, I think it was a Tuesday about eleven/twelve years ago.
At the Putney End in a Very Competitive 90 minute Friendly match, arranged for my Sunday Club. ( nothing to do with Fulham FC ).
I was allowed to take the penalty, for old times sake, and hit the keepers left hand post, ( the one nearest the river). Despite sending the keeper the wrong way.
A terrible miss as it was literally an open goal, it has haunted me ever since.
Please don't tell anyone.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: gang on September 30, 2017, 05:26:19 PM
Yes, I have both faced and taken a penalty. It's surprising how close the spot looks from the goal when facing and how far away when taking them.
That's right it is a good example of why you should always try to see the other persons point of view in life.

filham

Well the question that rolled on and on last season has to be resurrected:-

Who takes our next penalty

The Swan

According to our manager Fonte will take the next one.
The Swan

Rhys Lightning 63

I took one at The Hammy End after spinning round a ball 10 times, still managed to score
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

OdecaMynoT

Pages from the Berbatov book of how to take penalties successfully should be studied.

He was/is a Master at taking them. Goalkeepers seemed to be mesmerised,then gently ridiculed as he  planted the ball

into the net.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

berba

Quote from: OdecaMynoT on October 01, 2017, 01:13:34 AM
Pages from the Berbatov book of how to take penalties successfully should be studied.

He was/is a Master at taking them. Goalkeepers seemed to be mesmerised,then gently ridiculed as he  planted the ball

into the net.
If we turn the pages of the Berbatov book, we see great things expressed but those great things have not to remain in his book. They should pass  to the New Testament.

cmg

Quote from: OdecaMynoT on October 01, 2017, 01:13:34 AM

into the net.

As someone who was keen to take penalties for every team I played for from age 10 upwards I continue to find them a fascinating subject.

The really good, reliable takers (LeTisss, Murphy) sidefoot the ball, which is more accurate, but their timing and technique enables them to generate as much power as 'putting their laces through it'. If you don't have this level of skill (which I, of course, didn't) then the keeper has a chance unless tucked away in a corner. Go for power and the keeper has less chance, but then you may miss the target.

Berbatov (and one or two others on the world stage) used an 'impossible' technique, totally contrary to any coaching I ever had, in that he would look up at the goalkeeper and wait till he made his move. If I had ever tried that I would probably have completely missed the ball. Berbatov penalties were total artistry and worth the price of admission alone. Some goalkeepers just gave up on them.

grandad

Although Fonte completely missed the target, a lot of pens are saved these days by refs not watching for GK´s moving off their line before the kick is taken. I thought GK´s had to have both feet on the line before until the kick is taken. They are allowed to wave their arms & sway from side to side but their feet must be firmly planted until the kick is taken.
Where there's a will there's a wife

BedsFFC

I took and scored one at the Putney End.

Admittedly, there was no keeper. But it was dark and I had had about 7 pints.

I got a box for my 30th. We were invited down to the riverside bar. Jimmy Hill came and presented me with a ball signed by the players.

On leaving, we were supposed to walk around the pitch. Ten of us, with a ball? What else was going to happen.

Eventually, the old groundsman with the long hair chased us off.

hopper

Heidar has to be up there with our best penalty takers, never missed one

cmg

I believe the current law requires the keeper to stay on the goal line, but he is allowed to move along it.

The taker is allowed to feint in his run up to the ball, but not when he gets to it.

filham

Quote from: The Swan on September 30, 2017, 09:24:38 PM
According to our manager Fonte will take the next one.
Does the manager realise in saying that he is pre selecting Fonte for the Preston match, I am not sure that Fonte has done enough yet to be automatic choice.

Artful Dodger

Never took a penalty at the Cottage but did play a match there once....England Universities v Fulham reserves, Christmas 1991!

With regard to our forwards, SJ should show them a video of Harry Kane against Huddersfield on Saturday and get them to look at his composure in front of goal...didn't for a second look like he would miss when given the chance.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae