more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturdays aint what they used to be

Started by Cornishnick, September 30, 2017, 06:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornishnick

Hi folks
This is my first post. I've been looking at the site for several years but something just clicked to make me post.
I live at the furthest end of Cornwall so visits to the cottage are few and far between for me- its a 2 or 3 day trip.

Saturdays! 
Loved getting 2 away wins in a week but I still felt a bit flat today with no game. I had some time on my hands this afternoon so listed and watched all the other games in the champo but the excitement wasn't there. Great we've moved up a notch or two in the league and I am an optimist (despite over 50 years of watching FFC !). With the huge variety of ko times, a result isn't necessarily the end of it is it? There are often other teams still to play.

Guess I'm just another old timer who longs for the time when Saturdays WAS football. Mission Control has long accepted the principle that Saturday afternoons was football and we disengaged for a couple of hours.  Now even she is confused with me getting score flashes on the phone on any old time of the week.

How do you guys feel about in FOFland?

Fernhurst

Welcome to the message board Nick, you've chosen the right board at the right time.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.
The far end of Cornwall is not that far away compared to some of our posters.

Like you I loved Saturday at 3 for football but like the size of mars bars and the height of Policemen life moves on and although we have to accept if we don't have to like it.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SP

Welcome Nick.  Yes, I know where your're coming from.  My friend seems to think it won't be long before Saturday 7:45 kick offs are introduced, perhaps Christmas Day fixtures will return?

Although I'm despreate to achieve promotion, I worry about the reality of returning to the top table.  Playing games we know we are destined to lose & being on the wrong end of referees decisions as they are terrified of upsetting the top clubs. We just have to continue enjoying the ride!

Woolly Mammoth

I agree wholeheartedly with all your three posts.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Welcome Nick,
Yes, Saturday afternoon is the best time for matches with all teams playing and results at 5pm together with meaningful league tables.
No doubt that would suite most paying fans but I am afraid it is the TV companies that call the tune.

f321ffc

Welcome Nick, nice to have another Westcountry Fulham fan on board I'm in South Devon and travel up to games often.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Cornishnick

I guess I knew what the answer was all along. Just had one of those ggrr moments on Saturday afternoon.

Yes Mr TV calls the shots now. I agree with you SP, there's more enjoyment in winning a reasonable proportion of games in the championship than struggling to scrape points with the big boys. On the other hand, we did hold our own quite well for a fair number of years not so long ago. hhmm! thinking about it, things have moved on pretty fast since we were doing OK in the prem. Its a different place now.

Oh! and Fernhurst, dont worry about the size of the policemen, we shrink when we get older so they'll soon be that big again  :005:

hovewhite

Welcome to our fof ,like yourself love Saturday afternoon and watching FFC started watching just out of nappies and its become an expensive habit but really really love it,shame the sky corporation are destroying it and when we get to the premier(the holy grail)for the club it will limit the Saturday game less and less so for me the PL is not the great improvement to accessing seeing the top talent,but to keep SJ we need to get there I suppose.