more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

1951 Nostalgia

Started by Peabody, October 01, 2017, 10:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

filham

Look at the packed terraces, we really used to love the FA CUP in those days.

I was a fan of Bobby Brennan, he scored the goal, an irish inside left with some vision and a nice touch. Of course memories of him are totally eclipsed by Haynes who followed him into the Fulham team.

Peabody

Yeah, Bobby Brennen, unfortunate that he lost his place to JH. Also see Artthur Stevens, Eddie Lowe, Robin Lawlor, Archie Macauley and goalkeeper Ian Black

Fernhurst

Thank you Mr P ....... just before my first game, but what an atmosphere. Really was the people's game before you needed to raise a mortgage to go to a game.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

cmg

Thanks for that, Mr P.
Always good to see this sort of thing. Love those Pathe commentaries.

According to 'the Bible' the team was:
Black; Bacuzzi, R.Lowe; Questead, Pavitt, E.Lowe; Stevens, Macauley, Thomas, Brennan, Campbell.

Attendance was recorded as 29,200 but I take these pre-computer numbers with a pinch of salt - there was a lot of 'creative accountancy' and 'private enterprise' turnstile operation in those days.

We reached the Quarters that year (beating Chelsea 3-0 in round 5 replay after a draw in front of 70,000 at the dogtrack). Losing 1-0 at eventual runners-up, Blackpool.

(thanks as always to Denis Turner's great book.)

grandad

Thanks for the link. When you have seen it look for the Motson being destroyed by Brian Clough interview. Clough is a true legend & everything he said is true to today.
Where there's a will there's a wife

RaySmith

Great stuff- thanks.

Surprising for me that two of that team were still playing when I began watching Fulham in the early 60's -Eddie Lowe and Robin Lawler.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Peabody

Quote from: RaySmith on October 01, 2017, 12:21:24 PM
Great stuff- thanks.

Surprising for me that two of that team were still playing when I began watching Fulham in the early 60's -Eddie Lowe and Robin Lawler.

And Arthur Stevens

Bill2

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Carrying on with the YouTube films of old matches there is also an excellent one of the 1984 Cup game between Fulham and Tottenham.

An enjoyable ten minutes and I would pick out Paul Parker playing right back as a teenager and the comparison with young Ryan cannot be avoided.

Both very fast with a willingness to attack.

The pitch surface was awful!

filham

Quote from: Fernhurst on October 01, 2017, 11:21:18 AM
Thank you Mr P ....... just before my first game, but what an atmosphere. Really was the people's game before you needed to raise a mortgage to go to a game.

It was of course tremendous value for money in those days. Can any one remember the charge at the turnstile. about a bob or so I think and the official programme about 2d.

BedsFFC

Look at this game. What a great match.

Fast forward to now and we would have had a player sent off for 2 footed lunge and we would have also got a penalty. Neither were given 2nd thought in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AGWQ8xLiDs

bog

What a wonderful posting Peabody.  065.gif Had you just got back? There was more than 29,000 there! Two season before I started going.  Nostalgia? You cannot beat it! Thanks Peabody.

092.gif

SG

What about the clip from 1929. Terraces looked like mud banks. Behind Hammersmith End there is a warehouse and cranes from presumably Fulham wharf. Definitely before my time!

filham

Quote from: SG on October 01, 2017, 07:36:54 PM
What about the clip from 1929. Terraces looked like mud banks. Behind Hammersmith End there is a warehouse and cranes from presumably Fulham wharf. Definitely before my time!
The terracing was in fact mud banks until the promotion to the 1st division in 1949 when we were given the luxury of concrete to stand on.