watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Potential Strikers In the January Window

Started by FFC1987, October 16, 2017, 11:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Been having a discussion with potential wishlist/realistic strikers in January window. We have some money i'd say after this window so who would be on the list. I floated the idea of Charlie Austin as he can't seem to buy a game at the moment for Saints but he's maybe a bit unrealistic. Gayle was floated again but he came off the bench and looks in and around the Newcastle squad. A player I've seen a few times now and am really impressed by for teh right price is Sordell at Burton.

This isn't a write off Kamara/Fonte post either. I fully expect both to push on and make a positive impact before January but  who would you like to see in the squad for a push to top 2!

Chutney

A CB should be the priority, if either Ream or Kalas picks up an injury we have nobody to step up, this is presuming Madl leaves. Odoi can cover CB suitably well but with fredericks out for a while now we don't have that option.
C O Y W

Deeping_white

Whatever the question is, Marvin Sordell is not the answer - he's utter pony and I'd rather have Chris Martin back than him. We're better off looking for defenders rather than attacking options which I think we're well stocked in. To the post above, Fredericks is expected back for the Villa or Bolton game so that's hardly a while.

FFC1987

Quote from: Deeping_white on October 16, 2017, 12:43:01 PM
Whatever the question is, Marvin Sordell is not the answer - he's utter pony and I'd rather have Chris Martin back than him. We're better off looking for defenders rather than attacking options which I think we're well stocked in. To the post above, Fredericks is expected back for the Villa or Bolton game so that's hardly a while.

Sordell as a rotating striker in our team, would score goals....Think writing him off is a bit harsh, he's having a good season. As to our defensive issues, we're actually I believe 6th in the least goals conceded chart, that's not to say we could do with strengthening our squad defensively, I feel a striker is a must in the next window. Fonte currently doesn't suit the system and Kamara is a bit raw and I'm not sure reliable. I'd 100% back a Martin type striker though. Its really what we needed and sadly Fonte looks like a different type of striker from what was needed. 

Wearethewhites

If we are still in contention come January, Gayle will be joining.

Deeping_white

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 16, 2017, 12:58:31 PM

Sordell as a rotating striker in our team, would score goals....Think writing him off is a bit harsh, he's having a good season. As to our defensive issues, we're actually I believe 6th in the least goals conceded chart, that's not to say we could do with strengthening our squad defensively, I feel a striker is a must in the next window. Fonte currently doesn't suit the system and Kamara is a bit raw and I'm not sure reliable. I'd 100% back a Martin type striker though. Its really what we needed and sadly Fonte looks like a different type of striker from what was needed. 

Sordell has 1 goal in 12 apps this season - he's got a scoring rate of 1 in 4.5ish games and an assist every 10 games in the championship. He spent most of his career in league 1 for a reason. Fonte should be given time, if you pay attention to him in games he makes runs that aren't spotted by our teams, so I think once we get Cairney back he'll benefit massively from his passing range. Kamara has just hit his stride and scored two games running - his playstyle scares the sh*t out of opposition defences so like Fonte he's only going to get better.

Last season we were top scorers with a cart horse up top, we've now got two motivated and decent strikers so once we get our best 11 back together, I fully expect us to start hammering teams.

FFC1987

Quote from: Deeping_white on October 16, 2017, 01:27:51 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 16, 2017, 12:58:31 PM

Sordell has 1 goal in 12 apps this season - he's got a scoring rate of 1 in 4.5ish games and an assist every 10 games in the championship. He spent most of his career in league 1 for a reason. Fonte should be given time, if you pay attention to him in games he makes runs that aren't spotted by our teams, so I think once we get Cairney back he'll benefit massively from his passing range. Kamara has just hit his stride and scored two games running - his playstyle scares the sh*t out of opposition defences so like Fonte he's only going to get better.

Last season we were top scorers with a cart horse up top, we've now got two motivated and decent strikers so once we get our best 11 back together, I fully expect us to start hammering teams.

As I said before, i'm 100% not writing off Kamara or Fonte. I just think we certainly need another option up top and Slav clearly agrees based on his comments regarding squad. Regarding Sordell, you're likely right, I just think he'd add some depth to our forward line. Watched him 4 times this season and i was impressed each time. Not saying he's the 'answer' just would be good as an option which currently, we lack.

Chutney

C O Y W

MaidstoneMark69

I quite like the look of Gary Madine at Bolton, looks like a handful to me,  don't know how old he is tho???

hovewhite

filham

Look Fonte and Kamara are showing signs of settling in and in the second half of the season could have improved to the extent that they are both capable of getting goals. Ayite can do a job as a striker and I imagine we can call back Woodrow in an emergency.

So what we don't need is a squad player to become a bench warmer , or a player from overseas who is going to take a long while to settle. If we are going to buy we need a proven striker who is clearly an improvement  on Fonte and Kamara.
Anyone thought how much such a striker will cost, £9m ?, no that was Martin's price last season, we would have to pay more than that for the right man. The chairman is not going to risk the money.

FFC1987

Quote from: filham on October 16, 2017, 06:56:40 PM
Look Fonte and Kamara are showing signs of settling in and in the second half of the season could have improved to the extent that they are both capable of getting goals. Ayite can do a job as a striker and I imagine we can call back Woodrow in an emergency.

So what we don't need is a squad player to become a bench warmer , or a player from overseas who is going to take a long while to settle. If we are going to buy we need a proven striker who is clearly an improvement  on Fonte and Kamara.
Anyone thought how much such a striker will cost, £9m ?, no that was Martin's price last season, we would have to pay more than that for the right man. The chairman is not going to risk the money.

I mean, it wasn't like we were seriously considering roughly 18-20m at the end of the window or anything for Gayle but hey......We also specifically stated we werent writing off Kamara or Fonte, just adding to squad depth so not sure about any of your post to be honest.

Woolly Mammoth

For me a first priority would be a centre back in the Aden Flint mould. As for a forward, although we have Kamara who I rate as a good and unique prospect, and if Fonte could reach his potential in this League, then we are in business.
But I would bite Newcastles hand off to secure Gayle, he could be the one player who could take us to the promised land, providing Flint was also on board. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Ronnief

Gayle is injured again so would we spent millions on another sick note?

filham

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 16, 2017, 10:41:36 PM

I mean, it wasn't like we were seriously considering roughly 18-20m at the end of the window or anything for Gayle but hey......We also specifically stated we werent writing off Kamara or Fonte, just adding to squad depth so not sure about any of your post to be honest.

We have Fonte, Kamara, Ayite and Woodrow and play with a lone striker, why should we need to add depth to the striker position.

Riversider

Quote from: filham on October 17, 2017, 04:30:17 PM

We have Fonte, Kamara, Ayite and Woodrow and play with a lone striker, why should we need to add depth to the striker position.

Woodrow ? 😂😂😂 Are you sure he's still at the club ?

filham

Quote from: Riversider on October 17, 2017, 05:05:46 PM

Woodrow is on loan at Bristol City I believe but I hope we could recall him in an emergency.

MJG

Quote from: filham on October 17, 2017, 05:33:15 PM
Quote from: Riversider on October 17, 2017, 05:05:46 PM

Woodrow is on loan at Bristol City I believe but I hope we could recall him in an emergency.
emergency recalls no longer exist. You loan from window to window and that's only time they can come back.
Just the views of a long term fan

FulhamStu

Ayite is not a striker, Yes, we need one more.  Kamara and Fonte are both good additions but we need another to compete and allow 2 strikers on the pitch when the need arises.  If Fonte or Kamara are injured we are short in the match day squad right now.