https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Recruitment policy at Fulham

Started by FulhamStu, October 22, 2017, 11:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: General on October 23, 2017, 12:13:01 PM
Quote from: FulhamStu on October 22, 2017, 11:46:39 AM
We lose a game and it's all the fault of Stats man.   Slav has has no say in recruitment and the yanks know nothing about football.  We should never have sold Aluko. These lines are trotted out after every defeat.

Can I suggest it's not as simple as that.  Signing a good striker is a priority for most clubs, scoring goals is the hardest part of the game and why goal scorers are at a premium.  What goes on behind the scenes we don't know however in the past few years we have tried to sign players like Mourne, Gayle, Huggill and others who would have been ideal.  Surely this suggests our recruitment team know what they are doing, however getting these signings over the line is hard.  It's hard to attract top strikers into tier 2 football, we will have to work within a budget not only for transfer fees but salaries of players.

I simply refuse to believe Slav has no say in who we buy.  He may not be the final decision maker but pretty much all the players bough in have similar characteristics.  Technical ability, athletic, etc.  Kamara probably the exception, however I suspect we see him as work in progress, someone with raw abilities who we can coach into a more technical player.

My issue with our recruitment is we lack a certain type.  Someone with presence, height and airiel ability.  This is why KMac is so important.   The reason we are impotent at corners is nobody has the physical attributes to attack and win the header.  I suspect Slav does not want a Flint type central defender as he feels he needs these players to start our attacks and wants players who are good on the ball in tight positions.  This however in my opinion leads us to being one dimensional, great on the eye but with limited options.

Is this down to Stats man, I very much doubt it.  I would love to have a one on one with Slav and put these points to him.  Yes, he wants better players and I suspect we will see another striker coming in during January, I doubt however they will be a big dominant central defender or striker, someone like Gayle would be my guess and this will be because this is what our head coach is asking for.

Sorry FulhamStu but straight off the bat you've just unknowingly contradicted yourself.

You're implying that the same excuses get brought out all the time and he blame is being put on the recruitment side of things where instead it might go deeper..

Then you say we've been linked with hugill, gayle etc but say it's hard to get these players to play in the championship and it's hard to get these deals over the line.

Firstly gayle and hugill have both played in the championship - so they clearly haven't got an ego about playing in the league.

Secondly you say it's hard to get the deals over the line...

Well answering that firstly - it's the recruitment teams job to get deals over the line regardless of difficulty... and secondly to that, as a team based in London,  with a premiership past and having played the nicest football in the league and creating the most chances etc... we should've been considered as arguably one of the most attractive clubs for players considering this league to come to.

Now there's a difference if recruitment chase after foreign players in teams much higher than us. Rolan at bordeaux for instance.. they wasted soo much time on him and got nothing for their efforts. For me that is shockingly bad work.

Then they struggled to tie down a striker as a result who knew the league well enough to guarantee goals and hit the ground running... which we've arguably had in the past 4 seasons with McCormack, Dembele and Martin... and now we've got a striker who's scored one goal in six and even missed a penalty and who cost perhaps 7/8 million who so far isn't worth the investment and will require further additional investment on top of the original sum to buy in another player who hopefully can. It's such a joke of a scenario it genuinely isn't funny.

Why make a half arsed investment which may or may not pay off when you can put a bit more money in and get a better player, better results, better brand awareness and ticket sales etc.. it's so self evident that the main difference between last season and this season is the playing staff we have available it beggars belief people think it's more than that.

Sone had the ability to win the ball and change the direction of a game on a pinpoint... the amount of times I saw him closely marked, turn his opposition marker and then burn him for pace last season alone was ridiculous.. not only that but he net contributed to nearly 20 goals for us in the form of goals and assists... if you had a 20 goal striker you would be ridiculously short sighted to pay genuine attention to the chances he misses... it may frustrate you but I'd still have 20 goals and loads of near chances or misses too than none of any of it.

Ludicrous that people are focusing on what he could've added more instead of the reality of what he added. I imagine he probably added even more by being in and around the box, keeping defenDersingham occupied or playing that bit deeper or defensively because of him or the amount of goals he contributed to as a pass before the key assist.

4 chances a game is currently in keeping with a third of our current chances. If you as a striker had potentially 25 to 30% more chances a game I guarantee that you'd a) probably score more goals and b) be in and around key areas and pushing to make the extra yards as a result.

Not to forget that Martin contributed another 9/10 goals and malone another 7 or so.. we've essentially at a most basic level seen our recruitment policy allow for 25- 30 goals go in the summer and have seen them replaced by 4 goals so far after nearly 1/3rd of a season.

If you think that has no influence on where we stand, our results and isn't directly due to the change in personnel and that that comes down to our recruitment process entirely then I'm lost for words.

It's like being in torrential rain without an umbrella and saying it's not raining and trying to convince others it isn't too.
One of the easiest things to do is abortion blame, but unless you, me, anyone has an actual involvement in securing players it is impossible to fully understand what goes on and why a particular player does not sign, stats man gets an awful lot of the blame, but does anyone know for sure it's down to him, I am guessing we have a wage policy in place which means we are limited in available players, maybe players don't like the coach who knows. Personally I think it is down to the style of play tha SJ wants, we don't even see Cairney have shots now, it's like the training session where every player has to touch the ball before an attempt on goal can happen.
Anyway just a few of my thoughts.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

Quote from: alfie on October 28, 2017, 05:54:44 PM
We lose a game and it's all the fault of Stats man.   Slav has has no say in recruitment and the yanks know nothing about football.  We should never have sold Aluko. These lines are trotted out after every defeat.

Can I suggest it's not as simple as that.  Signing a good striker is a priority for most clubs, scoring goals is the hardest part of the game and why goal scorers are at a premium.  What goes on behind the scenes we don't know however in the past few years we have tried to sign players like Mourne, Gayle, Huggill and others who would have been ideal.  Surely this suggests our recruitment team know what they are doing, however getting these signings over the line is hard.  It's hard to attract top strikers into tier 2 football, we will have to work within a budget not only for transfer fees but salaries of players.

I simply refuse to believe Slav has no say in who we buy.  He may not be the final decision maker but pretty much all the players bough in have similar characteristics.  Technical ability, athletic, etc.  Kamara probably the exception, however I suspect we see him as work in progress, someone with raw abilities who we can coach into a more technical player.

My issue with our recruitment is we lack a certain type.  Someone with presence, height and airiel ability.  This is why KMac is so important.   The reason we are impotent at corners is nobody has the physical attributes to attack and win the header.  I suspect Slav does not want a Flint type central defender as he feels he needs these players to start our attacks and wants players who are good on the ball in tight positions.  This however in my opinion leads us to being one dimensional, great on the eye but with limited options.

Is this down to Stats man, I very much doubt it.  I would love to have a one on one with Slav and put these points to him.  Yes, he wants better players and I suspect we will see another striker coming in during January, I doubt however they will be a big dominant central defender or striker, someone like Gayle would be my guess and this will be because this is what our head coach is asking for.

Sorry FulhamStu but straight off the bat you've just unknowingly contradicted yourself.

You're implying that the same excuses get brought out all the time and he blame is being put on the recruitment side of things where instead it might go deeper..

Then you say we've been linked with hugill, gayle etc but say it's hard to get these players to play in the championship and it's hard to get these deals over the line.

Firstly gayle and hugill have both played in the championship - so they clearly haven't got an ego about playing in the league.

Well answering that firstly - it's the recruitment teams job to get deals over the line regardless of difficulty... and secondly to that, as a team based in London,  with a premiership past and having played the nicest football in the league and creating the most chances etc... we should've been considered as arguably one of the most attractive clubs for players considering this league to come to.

Now there's a difference if recruitment chase after foreign players in teams much higher than us. Rolan at bordeaux for instance.. they wasted soo much time on him and got nothing for their efforts. For me that is shockingly bad work.

Then they struggled to tie down a striker as a result who knew the league well enough to guarantee goals and hit the ground running... which we've arguably had in the past 4 seasons with McCormack, Dembele and Martin... and now we've got a striker who's scored one goal in six and even missed a penalty and who cost perhaps 7/8 million who so far isn't worth the investment and will require further additional investment on top of the original sum to buy in another player who hopefully can. It's such a joke of a scenario it genuinely isn't funny.

Why make a half arsed investment which may or may not pay off when you can put a bit more money in and get a better player, better results, better brand awareness and ticket sales etc.. it's so self evident that the main difference between last season and this season is the playing staff we have available it beggars belief people think it's more than that.

Sone had the ability to win the ball and change the direction of a game on a pinpoint... the amount of times I saw him closely marked, turn his opposition marker and then burn him for pace last season alone was ridiculous.. not only that but he net contributed to nearly 20 goals for us in the form of goals and assists... if you had a 20 goal striker you would be ridiculously short sighted to pay genuine attention to the chances he misses... it may frustrate you but I'd still have 20 goals and loads of near chances or misses too than none of any of it.

Ludicrous that people are focusing on what he could've added more instead of the reality of what he added. I imagine he probably added even more by being in and around the box, keeping defenDersingham occupied or playing that bit deeper or defensively because of him or the amount of goals he contributed to as a pass before the key assist.

4 chances a game is currently in keeping with a third of our current chances. If you as a striker had potentially 25 to 30% more chances a game I guarantee that you'd a) probably score more goals and b) be in and around key areas and pushing to make the extra yards as a result.

Not to forget that Martin contributed another 9/10 goals and malone another 7 or so.. we've essentially at a most basic level seen our recruitment policy allow for 25- 30 goals go in the summer and have seen them replaced by 4 goals so far after nearly 1/3rd of a season.

If you think that has no influence on where we stand, our results and isn't directly due to the change in personnel and that that comes down to our recruitment process entirely then I'm lost for words.

It's like being in torrential rain without an umbrella and saying it's not raining and trying to convince others it isn't too.
One of the easiest things to do is abortion blame, but unless you, me, anyone has an actual involvement in securing players it is impossible to fully understand what goes on and why a particular player does not sign, stats man gets an awful lot of the blame, but does anyone know for sure it's down to him, I am guessing we have a wage policy in place which means we are limited in available players, maybe players don't like the coach who knows. Personally I think it is down to the style of play tha SJ wants, we don't even see Cairney have shots now, it's like the training session where every player has to touch the ball before an attempt on goal can happen.

You might want to correct this, I assume you meant apportion not abortion?

alfie

Quote from: Twig on October 28, 2017, 06:06:03 PM

You are correct, then again?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on October 28, 2017, 06:06:03 PM

Then they struggled to tie down a striker as a result who knew the league well enough to guarantee goals and hit the ground running... which we've arguably had in the past 4 seasons with McCormack, Dembele and Martin... and now we've got a striker who's scored one goal in six and even missed a penalty and who cost perhaps 7/8 million who so far isn't worth the investment and will require further additional invgestment on top of the original sum to buy in another player who hopefully can. It's such a joke of a scenario it genuinely isn't funny.

The results and some of the performances are an abortion.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Twig on October 28, 2017, 05:16:26 PM
After today's game against Bolton I felel confident in saying that our recruitment policy is failing. Fonte? Expensive lightweight underperformer. Djalo? Why bother?  Cisse? Not good enough.  Soares? Still not available so that was a stupid punt. Mollo? Jury's out. Ojo? Sorry he got injured but he had just had a couple of mares. My rating 2 out of 10.
Well said Twig.
I was amazed at how so many were happy about the appointments of T Khan and Kline when Rigg left.
Apart from the fact that it might mean Shads cheque book might come out, I saw little to be encouraged by.
The two of them are totally unqualified to hold the football posts at our club, and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on October 28, 2017, 05:16:26 PM
After today's game against Bolton I felel confident in saying that our recruitment policy is failing. Fonte? Expensive lightweight underperformer. Djalo? Why bother?  Cisse? Not good enough.  Soares? Still not available so that was a stupid punt. Mollo? Jury's out. Ojo? Sorry he got injured but he had just had a couple of mares. My rating 2 out of 10.

I believe it is fair to say that on a number of counts the recruitment policy has failed the Club and badly, clearly disposing the good and replacing it with the bad and ugly.  Some of the input may have done better had it been possible to introduce them to a settled team but, leaving aside the injuries for a moment, that was made impossible by the sales of Malone and Aluko.   The Club make it so hard to build and do things properly simply because the football experience necessary for success is in imbalance and those involved in recruitment need to wise up to their mistakes.

Woolly Mammoth

I cannot see them acknowledging their mistakes, as they keep on making them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

colinwhite

Sone aluko is a hard man to replace. Yes he missed lots of good chances ,but itsfor that very reason he was playing in the championship. A superb player with alot of quality apart from his goalscoring record. He wouldnt have come to us if if had been agoalscorer. He would have been playing in the premiership.and for a top Side.