watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Give Bettinelli a start

Started by The Swan, October 30, 2017, 10:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I am not saying that Button was at fault for the goal we conceded on Saturday but he made a few mistakes with his poor clearances.

Every time he received a back pass I got worried that he might give the Bolton team a clear chance on goal.

Bolton had a couple of clear cut chances when he failed to clear the ball to one of our players.

Its time to make a change.
The Swan

Jimsbeerbelly

We needed an upgrade in that area over the summer. Both Bettinelli or Button are not ball playing keepers, and for me, don't fit the system. However, Button has improved since the new goal keeping coach has come in.

J.Perkins

Another case of Button blindness.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

The incident when he cleared the ball to one of their players who had an open goal and (fortunately) missed
was appaling.
To much complacency and we sometimes leave very small margins for mistake.
Several cross field 'Wilkins passes' could be intercepted more often if the other teams were a little
bit more awake.

Or is it what I'm seeing on the live feed ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Matt10

Here we go, just looking at change for the sake of change. Why? Has Button been crap in net? I don't think so.

Last year he was benched because he did indeed make a dumb mistake against Newcastle, where instead of kicking the ball out of bounds, he chooses to go upfield, and it's intercepted...goal.

Twig

I don't think Button has been bad but Betts was our number 1 last year and a change might just help. He has waited a while and probably deserves a chance anyway.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on October 31, 2017, 04:49:05 AM
I don't think Button has been bad but Betts was our number 1 last year and a change might just help. He has waited a while and probably deserves a chance anyway.
he was number 1 for like the last half a dozen game and only played because of the Derby disaster.
Truth be told there is nothing much between them and Joka prefers Button.
Just the views of a long term fan

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on October 31, 2017, 06:08:06 AM
Quote from: Twig on October 31, 2017, 04:49:05 AM
he was number 1 for like the last half a dozen game and only played because of the Derby disaster.
Truth be told there is nothing much between them and Joka prefers Button.
Agree, for me Button has not done much wrong this season, thats not "Button Blindness" but more seeing he has improved form when he was dropped.
Every day is a Fulham day

Marcel_Gecov

Consistency in defence is better than rotation. You can get away with it in any other position but your two CBS and GK need to be together most of the games they are fit (hence the lack of Djalo, Madl, Odoi only played there when Kalas was sent off). We need to change our tactics somewhat but until Button has a calamity and throws the ball into the net a number of times I see no reason to change him - him, Cairney, ream, kalas and McD should be first names on the team sheet.

IMO ideally, in January, we send Betts on loan to get game time (looking at you Burton) and get a veteran keeper on loan as cover (the equivalent of Paul Robinson being at Burnley) to give us room to manoeuvre with Rodak also out. 

Horsfield_No9

Again people are very quick to get on this man's back. He's been one of our better players this season and has improved since the new keeper coach came in. I like Betts but there's not much between them at all. No point changing this position. If you want to point fingers at defence I'd say Kalas is a man whose form is on the slide.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on October 31, 2017, 10:19:43 AM
Again people are very quick to get on this man's back. He's been one of our better players this season and has improved since the new keeper coach came in. I like Betts but there's not much between them at all. No point changing this position. If you want to point fingers at defence I'd say Kalas is a man whose form is on the slide.

If we got a permanent 1st choice CB then certainly based on current form, it is Kalas that goes to the bench.

ffc2004

Quote from: Statto on October 31, 2017, 07:56:51 AM
Honestly he probably had the ball as much as Cairney on Saturday and they completely misplaced one pass each, but with Button some people will always focus on that.

If he hoofed it upfield, with our midgets up front it would mean losing possession 80% of the time, but some on here would prefer that.

More often than not on Saturday he picked players out in space with some very good passes to start some moves, yet that gets overlooked due to his one dodgy pass to the striker 30 yards out.

Chutney

Quote from: ffc2004 on October 31, 2017, 10:50:51 AM
Honestly he probably had the ball as much as Cairney on Saturday and they completely misplaced one pass each, but with Button some people will always focus on that.

If he hoofed it upfield, with our midgets up front it would mean losing possession 80% of the time, but some on here would prefer that.

More often than not on Saturday he picked players out in space with some very good passes to start some moves, yet that gets overlooked due to his one dodgy pass to the striker 30 yards out.

To be fair that is the nature of playing as a GK, one mistake can cost us points, this is why I call for bettinelli, he makes less mistakes and is a better shot stopper (although admittedly button has improved his shot stopping significantly this year).
C O Y W

davew

We have bigger problems to address than who plays in goal!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

F(f)CUK

Quote from: ffc2004 on October 31, 2017, 10:50:51 AM

:plus one:

Madman Maddle

Button has won us many points this season with amazing saves. Compared to Bettinelli, right now Button is the better overall goalkeeper and better with the ball at his feet. The high-risk way we play out of the back puts so much pressure on the goalkeeper. If you think Button is already bad in that regard, you don't want to see Bettinelli under that kind of pressure. Thanks to Jaap Stam in the playoffs, now every team knows how to disrupt our build-up. Unless Jokane commits to a more direct opening, Bettinelli is a no-go!