more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (02/11/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 02, 2017, 08:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Who is Fulham's new interim data analyst James Lovell? All you need to know

After Craig Kline's depature from Fulham James Lovell will service in the data analyst role in the interim - here's all you need to know

Fulham's assistant director of football operations Craig Kline left the club on Tuesday after a controversial period at the west London outfit.

The American data-analyst worked closely with Tony Khan on refining the data system for Mr Khan's analytics company TruMedia and played an important role in the signing of new players at the club based on the 'two-tick' policy.

Any new player at the club had to tick the boxes of both Kline's data model and the scouting department, led by ex-Fulham man Brian Talbot who also reports directly to Mr Khan.

However, Kline has now left the club and a Fulham spokesperson confirmed to GetWestLondon that James Lovell will now serve as the interim data analyst, but who exactly is he?

Here is all you need to know.

New team: Slavisa Jokanovic with Tony Khan (Image: Fulham FC)

James Lovell - interim data analyst
Lovell has been at the club since 2011, serving as the first team performance analyst at Motspur Park.

However, for the past three seasons he's been an integral part of the first team performance department.

Although working heavily in pre-game, in-game and post match analysis delivery for the first team, Lovell has been involved in the development and use of data in the club's scouting process to help identify players of interest and influence the scouting process at the club.

He has been heavily involved with the club on a number of levels - ranging from analysis of data to helping managing teams of interns so that Fulham continue to have a wealth of analysts across the club.

Before working with the Cottagers, Lovell was a performance analysts at Wolves for three years and helped to create an analysis support department at the Molineux outfit as part of the 2008/09 Championship winning side.

As part of his work at the club, Lovell upgraded and improved the club's analysis systems to ensure they were at the level required of a Premier League club, making sure both the reserves and academy games were also covered.

Lovell has also worked at QPR from 2006-07 as a match analyst at the west London club, where he analysed and gathered statistical data on team and player performance.

He also holds a Master's Degree in Sports Science from Brighton University.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-fulhams-new-interim-data-13840538

WhiteJC

Charlton Athletic's Lee Bowyer insists Fulham clash is 'chance for youngsters to impress'

Charlton Athletic's second string take on Fulham U21s in the Checkatrade Trophy with a lot to play for

Lee Bowyer wants Charlton Athletic's academy boys to make their mark in the club's Group A Checkatrade Trophy match against Fulham U21s tonight (Nov 1).

The Addicks' assistant manager hopes that those selected can learn off the likes of experienced players such as Ben Reeves, Mark Marshall, Johnnie Jackson and Joe Aribo who are all in the side for the clash at The Valley.

With the 'League One' side away on a sunshine holiday, it is down to the reserves to take on the Cottagers and Bowyer told the club's website: "This is a great opportunity for the young lads to put their names into the hat and to compete for places.

"They know what they have to produce and they will be playing with some good, experienced lads as well.

"It will be good for them, they will learn and that is what this is all about. If it was me in their position - going to play at The Valley in front of the fans - I'd want to use it to go and say 'look, I'm here and I feel ready to play'."

Bowyer also indicated a few would be involved in the FA Cup First Round tie against Truro City on Sunday, too. Another Checkatrade Trophy tie, at home to Portsmouth, follows next Tuesday (November 7).

"Hopefully they can get through these next few games unscathed and then we will have a much stronger squad," he added.

http://www.kentlive.news/sport/football/football-news/charlton-athletics-lee-bowyer-insists-710899

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has his say on red card and Bristol City's performance

Robins beat Fulham 2-0 at Craven Cottage

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic hailed Bristol City's performance as much better than his side as he admitted he got things wrong against the Robins.

City won 2-0 at Craven Cottage as they carved open a poor Fulham side who have won just once at home this season.

Bobby Reid netted his tenth Championship goal of the season while Korey Smith added the second with a rare strike.

Fulham Manager Slavisa Jokanovic (Image: Paul Terry/JMP)

Jokanovic: "First of all, I'm head coach. I want to take all the responsibility for today's defeat.

"I understand we didn't show enough quality today, Bristol played better football."

Jokanovic attempted to contain City but employing a 3-5-2 formation, as opposed to Fulham's usual 4-3-3 but was an experiment which failed and early in the second half he abandoned it.

The result was cemented in the second half when Fulham's Aboubakar Kamara was shown a red for an off the ball incident. But Jokanovic does not think it should have been a red card and revealed the club will be appealing it.

Aden Flint of Bristol City and Aboubakar Kamara of Fulham look on

He said: "[Kamara] made a mistake and gave the chance for the referee to show him a red card.

"We are going to appeal because we believe it's not an option to send him off, but this moment is one of the crucial moments."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-say-710927

WhiteJC

Odoi: Redemption Needed

Denis Odoi says everyone at Fulham is hurting after the Bristol City fixture.

A below par display condemned the Whites to a 2-0 defeat, meaning we ended October without a win in four matches.

"Everyone was devastated in the changing room," Odoi told fulhamfc.com. "By the performance and the result.

"At the moment we are heading through some difficult times. This is obviously not how we envisaged things going at the start of the season.

"We need to keep our heads together and think about what has gone wrong. We really need to spend a period to assess.

"The players, staff and the fans are very disappointed with how things are going. Last year was such a great year and we were all hoping we could continue at that level.

"That is the disappointing thing, especially as it is more or less the same players. So that's what is worrying but that is why it is so important to stick together."

After a decent start to the game by Fulham, two soft first half goals from the Robins did the damage.

"I think if we had been a bit more clinical it would have set the tone," Odoi stated. "But it was the same as many games, where we had chances and then conceded a goal and then things went down for us.

"Sometimes we are conceding goals that are just ridiculously easy. Both goals we conceded were preventable, they were like child's play. We all know that.

"We are in the corner on the ropes and getting punched in the face and we need to shake it off."

Fulham don't have to wait long for an opportunity to get back to winning ways, albeit a stern test at league leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers on Friday night.

"In one way we have a chance to redeem ourselves pretty quickly," Odoi said. "We have got a big challenge ahead of us in Wolves.

"We need to asses the video from the game and get things off our chest and move forward.

"You are only as good as your last game but you are also only as bad as your last game, so now we have a new match to redeem ourselves and hopefully we can do that."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/november/01/denis-odoi-redemption-needed

WhiteJC

Derby County Tickets
Fulham are next in action at Craven Cottage on Saturday 18th November when they take on Derby County with kick-off scheduled at the later than usual time of 5:30pm.

The Whites will be looking to go one better following an action packed 2-2 draw last season that saw Floyd Ayité and Stefan Johansen on the scoresheet.

You can be there to watch all the action with tickets available to all supporters on General Sale and priced from £30 for adults and £15 for juniors.

Secure your seat today online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/november/01/next-at-home-derby

WhiteJC

Davies: Great Atmosphere

Under-23 captain Aron Davies spoke to the Club's website about their upcoming Checkatrade Trophy match against Charlton Athletic at the Valley on Wednesday evening.

The PL2 side have had a recent upturn in form with three consecutive wins after a difficult start to the season.

"There is a great atmosphere within the group," Davies said. "You can notice it in training a lot more laughing and banter getting chucked around."

"We have put in a good few performances, we've won three on the bounce now so it's good for us to get that consistency going and hopefully it's a long run ahead for us.

"I think we all know it was a poor start to the season, once we got a win under our belt we knew we could go on from there and start making it a better season and it's going well at the moment.

This will be the Whites' third match in nine days after beating Wolverhampton Wanderers away on Monday 4-1 before beating Norwich City at Motspur Park 2-0 on Friday.

"The boys are in great shape. We have great staff who look after us and give us the advice we need. In training there is a good intensity and our fitness is up to the top, so there are no complaints in that area."

This is the second round of fixtures in the Checkatrade Trophy, with the Whites having beaten Portsmouth on penalties to claim a bonus point. The match finished 3-3 after a late equaliser for Elijah Adebayo.

"It's always a great experience playing in a stadium, especially when it is a stadium like the Valley, a big old ground.

"We've had that kind of experience already when we went to Fratton Park in the first Checkatrade fixture. It's another good experience for us and it's one we are looking forward to.

"It was a big test to come from behind against Portsmouth, especially at that stage of the season. I think we showed everyone and ourselves how good we are when we switch it on.

"Elijah did well to get that goal which gave us the confidence to go on to penalties and win it.

"I think it's important to get clean sheets, we always look like scoring with such a threat up forward and players in midfield who can create chances out of anything.

With the back four and myself, it's great to get a clean sheet, it's like scoring a goal for us so we get a kick out of that and hope we can get one on Wednesday."

Tickets are available on the gate and live updates will be provided on the Club's official twitter account, @FulhamFC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/november/01/davies-great-atmosphere

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur's chances of signing Ryan Sessegnon may be increasing

Tottenham Hotspur submitted a £25 million bid for the Fulham defender in the summer transfer window.

Tottenham Hotspur should consider re-visiting their interest in Ryan Sessegnon in January, with Fulham struggling in the Championship.

Fulham rejected Spurs' advances for Sessegnon in the summer, as the Cottagers appeared to be determined to push for promotion.

Fulham had been one of the best teams in the Championship last term, but they were knocked out in the play offs.

The London side then showed great desire to go one better this season, by rejecting big money for Sessegnon from Tottenham, as reported by the Daily Telegraph.

However, this season has not gone according to plan for Fulham in the slightest.

Fulham are currently in 15th place in the Championship table, and they look to have many more deficiencies in their squad than they did last campaign.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side are still only four points away from the top six, but they will have to improve dramatically to get into the promotion race.

And Fulham may now be more tempted to cash in on Sessegnon, to upgrade other areas of their squad.

If Tottenham spent big on the youngster, Fulham could have the money to strengthen in other positions - where they need more quality.

And Spurs should be planning to test the water by bidding for Sessegnon again in January.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/01/tottenham-hotspurs-chances-of-signing-ryan-sessegnon-may-be-incr/

WhiteJC

Fulham to Appeal Kamara Red Card

The red card shown to Aboubakar Kamara, last night, against Bristol City, looked a little harsh.

Kamara was shown a straight red card after what seemed a shove on the Bristol City captain Bailey Wright.

But, it wasn`t the referee that witnessed it but his assistant who, so we`re told, interpreted the offence as violent conduct.

Today it has been announced that Fulham have decided to appeal against the red card and Slavisa Jokanovic believes there is a good chance the club will get a positive response from the appeal with the boss remarking to the media,

'The linesman interpreted it as violent conduct.

'But this kind of situation happens in all Championship games. Aboubakar made a mistake as he gave the referee a chance to show him a red card.

'I expect we will win this appeal.'

If Fulham don`t then Kamara will miss the fixtures against Wolves, Derby County and Sheffield United.

Fingers crossed chaps!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=510201#ixzz4xGOzjImD

WhiteJC

U21s Travel to Charlton

Peter Grant's Under-21 side take on Charlton Athletic at the Valley on Wednesday evening in the Checkatrade Trophy.

The Whites have hit good form recently, winning their last three matches. Last time out the Whites beat Norwich City at Motspur Park in a 2-0 victory with Elijah Adebayo scoring from the penalty spot, before Cameron Thompson sealed the win late on with his first PL2 goal.

The Checkatrade Trophy presents a real challenge for the young side, facing the League One outfit, the Addicks have been in good form themselves, unbeaten in eight matches and have won four of their last five.

A win for either side would put them on top of the group table, so far the Whites have played one game against Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

A late Adebayo goal took the game to penalties where the Whites won a bonus point through a perfect set of penalties.

You can follow the match via live updates on the Club's twitter account, @FulhamFC. Alternatively tickets are available on the gate.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/november/01/u21s-travel-to-charlton

WhiteJC

Good Riddance, October
by Lydia on November 1, 2017

October is normally my favourite month. Trees are starting to get that beautiful orange and red tinge, I get to celebrate my birthday and, when I was working as a teacher at least, I had the half term holidays to look forward to. What's not to like? This year, however, Fulham have managed to make October pretty miserable. Out of the 12 points available we only gained 2, which is made even worse when you think about how we had three of those games at home. Of the points that we did win, we had to scrap a last-minute goal. OK, we could point to the last-minute goals and decide that it shows real character, but when we are going behind so often in games, especially at home, we have to acknowledge that there is a problem. Last night's performance was one of the worst since Slavisa Jokanovic took over. The defending was disastrous, when we did have the ball we moved it far too slowly and everything looked very disjointed. Then an off-the-ball incident led to a straight red card and gone were any realistic chances we had of getting back into the game after 63minutes. I can't comment on Aboubakar Kamara's sending off as I am yet to see any footage of it but it just seemed to sum up our evening. Not easy viewing at all. Even with a change in formation to three at the back and two wing backs we struggled defensively and we once again went into the break on the wrong side of a 2-0 scoreline. In the end, we fully deserved the defeat.

Any positives?

I still believe that we aren't miles away from a good side. The stats tell us that the team are still on top when it comes to passing rates, chance creation and possession. Yes, the only statistic that matters is the goals scored, but it's important to acknowledge that the team that passed teams to death last year is still there, it's just maybe struggling to make it all work at the minute. We made 429/525 passes last night which gives us an 82% accuracy rate. It's actually interesting to note that the only team who had more successful passes than us last night was Norwich (430/502, 86% success) and they were on the back of a 2-0 home defeat to table topping Wolves. Similarly to Norwich, we are perhaps trying to be too nice on the eye at the minute, when really we need to just not over do it, and get the ball forward as much as possible. I DO NOT mean long ball football, I mean pass forward when we have the chance and not muck about with it too much, which is something that we have been doing resulting in causing problems for ourselves when we invite pressure.

We also had a very high number of shots, although just 2 of the 21 were on target. This proves that it's a lack of cutting edge in the side that is making us struggle. Generally speaking, what to forward players need to have a cutting edge? Answer- confidence. Our slow start, alongside a number of injury problems, has led to many of our players losing the confidence that they had last year which, in turn, has badly affected our boys when it comes to having a sight of goal. Players are panicking, instead of keeping the head down which is why we aren't getting as many efforts on target. This is something that the Craven Cottage faithful can help with by continuing to support the boys as much as possible, especially in the coming weeks when we try and get ourselves out of this rut that we are currently in. We are making chances which is positive, we just aren't taking them right now.

The pressure is well on truly on at the minute at Fulham and some are beginning to call for a change in management. Last night I was beginning to agree but, upon reflection, I think that it would be unwise to change things at the top right now. As I have already mentioned, Fulham are still better passers of the ball and are creating more chances than many of our opponents so a lot of the things that we are doing are can help to send us in the right direction. This was the Fulham that Jokanovic created last year. It will click, but we are going to have to be patient, even when that is the hardest thing to be right now. Friday night sees us head to the home of the league leaders in a game that many will now be dreading, but to be honest I think that it is the exact challenge that we need right now. The pressure of playing in front of the TV cameras against very good opposition could potentially give us a real lift. Get something from that, and the confidence is back. But the important thing for now is for the players to put in a performance that they can be proud of, which is something that didn't happen once in October.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/11/good-riddance-october/

WhiteJC

Aboubakar Kamara: Fulham to appeal against forward's sending off

Aboubakar Kamara was sent off in the 63rd minute against Bristol City, with the Whites already trailing 2-0

Fulham are to appeal against the red card shown to forward Aboubakar Kamara in their 2-0 defeat by Bristol City.

The 22-year-old Frenchman was dismissed for shoving Robins captain Bailey Wright off the ball after referee Scott Duncan consulted one of his assistants.

"The linesman interpreted it as violent conduct," boss Slavisa Jokanovic said.

"But this kind of situation happens in all Championship games. Aboubakar made a mistake as he gave the referee a chance to show him a red card."

The Serb continued: "I expect we will win this appeal."

Kamara, who joined Fulham in the summer from French side SC Amiens, has scored two goals in 14 appearances this season.

He is set to miss the Whites' next three matches, against Wolves, Derby County and Sheffield United, if the club's appeal fails.

Fulham 'must be brave'
Tuesday's loss means Fulham have only won one of their eight Championship games at Craven Cottage this season.

The west London club, beaten play-off semi-finalists last season, are 15th in the table, with 19 points from their 15 matches,

However, former Watford boss Jokanovic is optimistic they will improve results and be in the hunt once again for promotion to the Premier League.

"There are challenges in front of us and we must be positive," the 49-year-old told BBC Radio London.

"We must recover our confidence and be brave as this team can play good football. We have two points less than we did at this point last season.

"After 15 games we are four points from the top six and we will come back and fight to reach the top six this season."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41833456

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney – the £20m Fulham star you'll be glad we didn't sign over the summer given his season so far

It's no secret that Tom Cairney's performances caught the eye of Rafa Benitez in the Championship last season, however his uninspiring start to the season with Fulham suggests we were fortunate to have missed out on the midfielder over the summer.

Last term, there was little doubt that the Scottish international was one of the top players in the second tier. He was the only player to reach double figures in both goals (13) and assists (11) in the Championship and helped high-flying Fulham reach the play-offs.

Since then, he's committed to Fulham and insisted he always wanted to stay with the London based club, however he might be regretting 'turning down' a potential move to Tyneside a few months on.

He has managed just 1 goal, has failed to register a single assist so far this season, has had several injury issues and has not been called up to recent Scotland squads.

Not only has he failed to recapture his superb form of last season, his Fulham side are struggling far more than they anticipated too, sitting in a lowly 15th place in the Championship and without a win since September.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2017/11/01/tom-cairney-the-20m-fulham-star-youll-be-glad-we-didnt-sign-over-the-summer-given-his-season-so-far/

WhiteJC

Soares: Bittersweet Night

It was a bittersweet night for summer loan signing Rafa Soares who returned from injury to make his first appearance for the Whites last night.

The left-back came on in the 67th minute for Stefan Johansen and put to bed a frustrating few weeks under difficult circumstances on Tuesday night.

First-half goals from Bobby Reid and Korey Smith gave Bristol City an unassailable 2-0 lead which left Soares caught between his emotions.

"It was a real mix of feelings," Soares told fulhamfc.com. "I am happy in one way because I was able to make my debut. But in another we lost the game.

"So I am happy but obviously unhappy at the same time.

"I think that we will get there but at the moment we are in a strange situation with our form."

The 22-year-old came on in his favoured left-back position allowing Ryan Sessegnon to push forward and occupy an attacking role in the front three.

"It was a nice feeling to be out there on the pitch at Craven Cottage with a good atmosphere and to show the fans what I can do.

"But I know the supporters were very unhappy with the way we played. I felt this but I hope I can help this team in some way.

"All of us want to change the situation we are in.

"We need to all stay together and find a way to move on and that's it," said Soares.

After making his first appearance in a Fulham shirt over a month ago in the Premier League 2 against Blackburn, the Portuguese defender is keen to kick on, impress the supporters and Slaviša Jokanović.

He said: "I am more confident now I have got out there and made my appearance.

"I know I can contribute and I am ready to do so when I get the chance."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/november/01/soares-reaction

WhiteJC

Sacked Fulham data specialist called police to training ground after being told of his dismissal

Police officers were called to Fulham's training ground on Monday afternoon at the request of Craig Kline, the club's assistant director of football operations, and friend of vice-chairman Tony Khan, who has left after a series of clashes with key figures.

Officials at Fulham were stunned to learn that the Metropolitan police had been called by Kline who is understood to have had a list of grievances against the club and was interviewed by officers at Motspur Park. Promoted in February from his role as  director of statistical research, Kline's relationship with the manager, Slavisa Jokanovic, and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, has been fraught and he has been told by the club not to return.

Kline's call to the police followed a meeting between him and the club's billionaire American owner Shahid Khan, father of Tony, who was in the United Kingdom to attend Saturday's draw at home with Bolton Wanderers and Tuesday's home defeat by Bristol City. It was Shahid Khan who told Kline that he was no longer wanted at the club despite having previously enjoyed the support of Tony Khan, who was appointed vice-chairman and director of football operations by his father in February.

There is the possibility that the club might now pursue a legal case against Kline for a series of tweets he posted on Wednesday making serious allegations against the club and senior figures. They have subsequently been deleted. Kline is understood to have spoken to the police officers on a picnic bench outside the main building.

Senior Fulham officials also offered to speak to police officers who attended Motspur Park on Monday but were not required to do so.

It is understood that Kline made a series of allegations to Shahid Khan in their Monday meeting similar to those he later tweeted, a meeting which ended in the latter making it clear that Kline, also an American citizen, would not be working for the club again. Kline and Tony Khan's friendship dates back to their university days and both are enthusiastic devotees of integrating their own model of data analysis into Fulham's player recruitment.

Their belief was that the approach could be the basis for the club's swift return to the Premier League, and Fulham reached the Championship play-offs last season. However, since he joined the club in October 2014, Kline has found himself at odds with key figures such as Mackintosh and chief operating officer Darren Preston, and is understood to have made serious allegations internally about club practices.

On more than one occasion Kline has been asked to leave the Motspur Park training ground and has then subsequently returned after a cooling-off period. He has enjoyed the support of Tony Khan, who is also the owner of TruMedia Networks, his own data analytics company. It is understood that there will be no return for Kline this time and the club have already announced that his position will be taken on by another data analyst at the club, James Lovell.

In a statement the Met Police said: "Police were called at approximately 12:40hrs on Monday, 30 October to Motspur Park in New Malden following a report of non-recent threatening behaviour. There have been no arrests and enquiries continue."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/01/sacked-fulham-data-specialist-called-police-training-ground/

WhiteJC

Newcastle United should go back for Tom Cairney in January

Newcastle United were strongly linked with Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney during the summer transfer window.

Newcastle United should re-visit their interest in Fulham's Tom Cairney in the January transfer window.

Newcastle launched a £20 million bid for Cairney according to the Independent, but it was rejected by Fulham.

The Cottagers, at that stage, were among the favourites to be promoted to the Premier League.

And Cairney, himself, stated to the Chronicle that he was happy to stay with Fulham as he was so settled at the club.

However, Fulham have failed to live up to expectations so far this season - and currently sit in 15th place in the Championship.

While the Cottagers' promotion hopes are far from over, they will need to improve hugely, if they are to move into the top six shake-up.

And if Fulham have shown no signs of improvement by January, then Newcastle may become a more appealing option to Cairney.

The Magpies have performed well at the top tier so far, and have already put distance between themselves and the bottom three.

And the lure of the Premier League may become too much for Cairney to turn down, should Newcastle make another offer, with Fulham struggling.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/01/newcastle-united-should-go-back-for-tom-cairney-in-january/

WhiteJC

Police called to Fulham training ground on Monday by sacked assistant director of football Craig Kline

Sacked data specialist Craig Kline called police to Fulham's training ground
    Kline, who was assistant director of football operations, had several run-ins
    His relationship with boss Slavisa Jokanovic had become seriously conflicted

Fulham's sacked data specialist Craig Kline called police to the Championship club's training ground on Monday.

Kline, who was their assistant director of football operations, has had several run-ins at Fulham.

It is believed the American's relationship with manager Slavisa Jokanovic and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh had become seriously conflicted.

Kline was understood to have had a meeting with the club's billionaire owner Shahid Khan, the father of vice-chairman Tony Khan, before calling the police to Motspur Park.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police read: 'Police were called at approximately 12:40hrs on Monday, 30 October to Motspur Park in New Malden following a report of non-recent threatening behaviour.

'There have been no arrests and enquiries continue.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5040357/Police-called-Fulham-training-ground-Monday.html#ixzz4xGT0OvCo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Mince n Tatties

WhiteJC

Leeds Uhnited: FA report into McCormack transfer exposes unedifying web of lies - Hay

The irony of the trouble which Leeds United and Massimo Cellino invited by selling Ross McCormack to Fulham is that it started out, in July 2014, as a deal Cellino was opposed to.

According to documents released by the Football Association on Monday, Cellino "had not been interested in transferring the player" until it was suggested that £10m would be paid for McCormack's signature.

The club did slightly better than that, agreeing a fee of £10.75m with Fulham, but McCormack's sale in the third month of Cellino's reign as owner began the messy disciplinary process which finally finished this week with another ruling against him. His involvement in English football ends with a 12-month ban, a £100,000 fine and a case which captures in one snapshot the fraught manner of so much of his management of Leeds. The charges against him concerned a deal to pay £250,000 to Barry Hughes, a Glasgow businessman who managed world featherweight champion Scott Harrison and was convicted of fraud shortly before the McCormack transfer. Hughes worked as an unregistered advisor for McCormack but, without an FA licence, was forbidden from acting as an agent or earning directly from the striker's sale. McCormack's move to Fulham was arranged by Mark Donaghy of Arena Sports Management, a licensed agent whose fees ran to a legitimate £875,000. The FA's ruling against Cellino states that it was Hughes who first indicated that he could secure £10m for McCormack and in the weeks after the completion of the move to Craven Cottage, he invoiced Leeds for agency fees worth £250,000. Leeds, for whom ex-FA compliance officer Graham Bean was working as a consultant, initially resisted the claim from Hughes despite the threat of legal action but relented after Cellino and Hughes held a meeting at Elland Road in September 2014. A solution – described by the FA regulatory commission as a "sham to present a dishonest picture to the FA" – was found whereby Leeds arranged a 'scouting contract' with Derek Day, a licensed Scottish agent who had not figured in McCormack's transfer to Fulham. United agreed to pay £185,000 to Day in three staggered payments, money which the FA believed was in turn to be passed to Hughes. Leeds met Hughes' demand for a total of £250,000 by agreeing to cancel a loan of around £65,000 owed by McCormack to Leeds. The FA's findings do not explain why McCormack had required a loan from the club but they state at the outset that the Scotland international was guilty of no wrongdoing under FA rules.

The commission concluded that the payments were made as agreed and that Hughes received some £116,000 of the cash paid to Day. Day, it said, retained the rest. The Scot subsequently admitted breaching FA agents rules and was banned from acting as a representative for 18 months, 11 of those suspended until December 2018. Hughes, as an unlicensed advisor, fell outwith the FA's jurisdiction and was not open to charges. Bean, meanwhile, avoided disciplinary action despite Leeds and Cellino arguing strongly that he was partially responsible for facilitating Day's 'scouting contract'.

The commission described him as a "whistleblower" and accepted that Ian Ryder, the FA's Integrity and Anti-Corruption manager, had not offered him specific immunity but rather chosen not to mount proceedings against him. The FA's commission passed no judgement on that decision but said Bean had been complicit and played an "unedifying part" in the payments to Day and noted that Bean was "distinctly hostile" to Cellino after he was sacked by the Italian over an unrelated matter in September 2014, days after the deal with Day was finalised. The case against Cellino was delayed by a month after Bean threatened to withdraw his submissions following the FA's refusal to pay him costs of £1,800. That threat was dismissed as a "petulant reaction" by the commission. It did, however, accept much of Bean's evidence. The panel decided that Cellino had not been aware that Hughes was unlicensed but said he understood that the scouting arrangement "was to hide from the FA that LUFC was paying the £250,000 claimed by (Hughes) for his work on the McCormack transfer." At one point Cellino insisted the sum paid to Day was related to a separate and overdue fee of £117,500 owed from Leeds' signing of defender Marius Zaliukas – also represented by Mark Donaghy – in 2013. The FA called this a "deliberate untruth" and discovered that the sum was later paid separately after solicitors acting for Donaghy threatened to hit Leeds with a winding-up petition. Cellino also attempted to blame Bean, saying Bean had been employed because of his knowledge of the FA's rules and regulations, at a time when Cellino was new to England. "MC's attempt to shuffle responsibility from himself on to GB does him no credit in a matter where his credit is plunging already," the commission's verdict said.

In summary, the panel decided that "none of those involved had any intention or expectation that (Day) would actually carry out scouting activities" to the value of the payments proposed by Leeds. After a two-day hearing at Wembley in September 2016 it described Cellino as a "dishonest witness" and said much of his evidence in a previous interview with Ryder was "deliberately misleading." "He lied on material points at that interview and in his evidence at the hearing before the regulatory commission," the findings said. Leeds faced separate charges of breaching agents rules, charges the club initially denied but later pleaded guilty to. A fine of £250,000 was reduced to £200,000 on appeal. Cellino was the only one of the three parties to plead his innocence, challenging the FA's guilty verdict through the standard appeals process and then seeking arbitration through FA rule K. The arbitration hearing, in which Cellino questioned the validity of proceedings and alleged bias among the original appeal board, took place in July of this year, more than a month after he sold all remaining shares in Leeds to Andrea Radrizzani. Publication of the Rule K verdict this week came three-and-a-half years after McCormack was sold. In a minor victory, Cellino saw his initial ban of 18 months reduced to 12 months and a £250,000 fine cut to £100,000 but his suspension will have no meaningful impact. His involvement at Elland Road ended with Radrizzani's takeover and he now owns Italian club Brescia. The FA's ban applies only to English football, despite the governing body having scope to ask FIFA to impose it worldwide. It is not known if Cellino ever adhered to an order to attend an educational course "covering the duties and responsibilities of an owner and director of an English professional football club"; an amusing scenario which has struck everyone as too little, too late.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-uhnited-fa-report-into-mccormack-transfer-exposes-unedifying-web-of-lies-hay-1-8835301