watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (17/09/10)

Started by WhiteJC, September 17, 2010, 07:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesOnSchwarzer.aspx
Mark Of Respect

Mark Schwarzer returned to First Team action for Fulham last weekend and produced a faultless performance in goal as Fulham secured three points against Wolves.

Following a summer of speculation surrounding the Australian international's future, Mark Hughes praised Schwarzer's professionalism ahead of Saturday's clash against Blackburn|, whilst noting the outstanding reception the keeper received last weekend at the Cottage.

"He's [Schwarzer] made a real mark here and been part of the Club's recent success so that [applause at the Cottage] was a show of respect," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "It was due and it was really good for him.

"He's a good professional and I didn't think there would be any difference in his daily work or approach to games [following the summer speculation]. It was never a worry for me and he's getting on with his job.

"We weren't receptive to any bids because Mark's too important to us. We would much rather he was here helping us win Premier League games.

"His immediate future is here at Fulham and we're hopeful we can show him where we want to go and what we want to do in the future. Obviously I've made it known to him that I want him to be a part of that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesOnSchwarzer.aspx#ixzz0zmTE99Id

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/FridayTeamNews.aspx
Team News

Manager Mark Hughes is hopeful Damien Duff will be fighting fit for Saturday's game against Blackburn Rovers whilst there are two defensive fitness concerns ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League encounter at Ewood Park|.

"Damien's [Duff] had a couple of training sessions and he should be available for selection on Saturday," Hughes revealed to fulhamfc.com.

"Rafik Halliche got a slight tweak in his groin and it's fifty-fifty whether he'll be involved against Blackburn. Fredrik Stoor also pulled up with a slight strain to the groin in training so he's a doubt as well."

Hughes will no doubt receive a warm reception at Ewood Park this weekend and Fulham's new Manager drew comparisons between the two Clubs before the Team travelled to Blackburn for Saturday's match.

"It's [Blackburn] a great club with great people and I draw comparisons between the quality of people there and the quality of people here at Fulham.

"That's a big positive from my point of view because you're only as good as the people who support you.

"I was able to be successful at Blackburn because everyone wanted me to do well and I sense that's the same here at Fulham."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/FridayTeamNews.aspx#ixzz0zmTl1LwE

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/43809/The_way_he_has_responded_to_the_challenge_has_been_absolutely_outstanding.aspx
"The way he has responded to the challenge has been absolutely outstanding"

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hailed the attitude of goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and stressed that the Spaniard has his full support after retaining his place as first choice stopper at the Emirates.

The 33-year-old's future in north London looked to be under a cloud this summer as the Gunners twice lodged bids with Fulham for Australian international Mark Schwarzer . Nevertheless, with each offer rebuffed Almunia has maintained his standing in the Arsenal pecking and since started each of his side's four Premier League matches and Wednesday's Champions League tie with Braga.

Speaking about his admiration for Almunia, French coach Wenger told Arsenal's shareholders:

"Our goalkeepers have been exposed to a lot of pressure in the summer and there was a lot of speculation

"Their mental strength was tested more than ever. But when you are an Arsenal footballer you have to live with that. In every position you know you can be challenged - that is part of the job. The goalkeepers understand and accept that.

"I believe we have four very, very good goalkeepers. Manuel Almunia is in front at the moment because of his quality and the way he accepted what happened to him. Since the start of the season the way he has responded to the challenge has been absolutely outstanding. That is why I give him my full support.

"It is sometimes easy to reduce that fact we dropped points [last season] to the fault of the goalkeeper. Normally in any goal you have four or five mistakes. But the keeper has the last.

"You can take any goalkeeper and they all make mistakes."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesOnBobby.aspx
Bobby Positive

Mark Hughes discussed Bobby Zamora's injury on Thursday afternoon and revealed the striker was in positive spirits after suffering a serious injury at the Cottage against Wolves.

Last Sunday morning Zamora underwent a successful operation and Hughes is confident that the England international will return as strong as ever under the supervision of the Club's Sports Medicine and Exercise Science department.

"Bobby's had his operation and he'll be in bed with his leg elevated for about two weeks and then he'll begin the long process to fitness," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. 

"The minimum it [Zamora's absence] was going to be was four months and obviously after the operation there was ligament damage and that is going to add a bit more time.

"He's out for a long time but with the medical department we have, and the support staff, there's no concern in his ability to get back to level he was playing at before the injury. I have no doubt about that because the care and expertise he'll have during his rehabilitation will be as good as any I've seen at any club.

"He's back home now with his family and his two little babies. I spoke to him immediately after the injury and to be fair he surprised me how positive he was.

"That was good for everybody. He was upset with the injury but he was being positive about getting back as quickly as possible and we all wish him well."

Fulham will most certainly miss Zamora over the coming months but Hughes is confident the Club has an armoury of striking options to fire Fulham to success this season.

"We'll miss Bobby and certain aspects of his play but we've got players like Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele, who will give us different things at different times.

"I'm not too worried about our attacking threat because I think we've still got enough strings to our bow. I'm sure you'll see the Team evolve in the next few months."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesOnBobby.aspx#ixzz0zmUW8DUV

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/09/blackburn-rovers-v-fulham-rovers-seek-to-capitalise-on-zamoras-absence.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29
Blackburn Rovers V Fulham: Rovers seek to capitalise on Zamora's absence

Mark Hughes celebrated his first league win as Fulham manager last weekend against Wolverhampton Wanderers but his joy was tainted with the news that striker Bobby Zamora had suffered a broken leg. The England international has been in fine form for the Cottagers and his absence will be a huge blow for the team.

This weekend Hughes returns to his former club desperate to keep his unbeaten run going, but he will only be too aware that not many teams leave Ewood Park with a share of the spoils.

Blackburn Rovers surprised a lot of fans last weekend by holding the billionaires of Manchester City to a draw at Eastlands and start this game as slight favourites with the bookies.

Big Sam's tactics will never win any style awards but they get results and staying in the Premier League is always his main objective at the start of each season.

Fulham have drawn both their away games this season and the majority of the Panel sees the points being shared again here.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/NextUpBlackburn.aspx?
Blackburn Brief

Blackburn Rovers v Fulham, Barclays Premier League

Saturday 18th September 2010, KO 3pm

This weekend we head up the M6 once more to take on Blackburn Rovers.

Although not the happiest of hunting grounds in recent years, we have recorded two Premier League victories at Ewood Park, the last of which was a 3-1 success in May 2005. Last season we lost 2-0.

Blackburn remain one of only four clubs to have won the Premier League title, back in 1995 when the club was bankrolled by the late Jack Walker. Rovers may soon once more have a rich benefactor though, with takeover talks currently ongoing.

Current manager Sam Allardyce has been at the helm since December 2008 and guided Rovers to a 10th placed finish last season.

Rovers started the campaign with a single goal home victory over Everton, but then lost 2-1 at Birmingham, a scoreline repeated seven days later when Arsenal gained all three points at Ewood Park. Last weekend Blackburn picked up an impressive point away to Manchester City. Rovers have also made progress in the Carling Cup, beating Norwich 3-1 with a hat-trick from Mame Biram Diouf, on loan from Manchester United.

Ticket News

Tickets for this weekend's match against Blackburn are on General Sale and available to buy from the Cottage Ticket Office (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm) or from the Ewood Park Ticket Office on Saturday.

Loyalty points: 5

Prices:

Adults £10
Over 65s £5
Under-16s £5
Address: Ewood Park, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 4JF
Telephone: 01254 698888
Capacity: 31,367
Visitors Section: Darwen End Stand
Disabled Section: Disabled enclosure in Darwen End Stand

Travelling to Ewood Park

(Approx 234 miles from Fulham)

The second oldest Premier League ground (built in 1882), Ewood Park underwent significant renovations in the 1990s, bringing it up to date with the style of many other modern stadia. Despite a capacity of more than 30,000, the home fans rarely fill all of the seats.

Coaches
Depart Motspur Park 8am/Craven Cottage 8:30am
Price: Season Ticket Holders/Members Adults £22 Juniors £12
Non Season Ticket Holder Adults £27 Juniors £20

By Road
Leave London via M1 or M40/M42/M5 to join M6. Exit M6 at junction 29 onto M65 signs Blackburn, Burnley. Exit M65 at junction 4 onto A666 signs Blackburn. Enter Blackburn along Bolton Road (A666). After passing the Fernhurst pub on the left turn right into Nuttall Street. The ground is on the right.

Car Parking
Street parking is limited in the vicinity of ground. A number of local car parks are available including the Albion Mill car park on Albion Street. Car parks also available in Albion Road and at the Fernhurst pub. Prices from £4.

By Rail
Travel from Euston to Preston then catch the local train to either Mill Hill or Blackburn. Mill Hill is closer but not all trains stop there. Blackburn Station is about 1.6 miles from ground. Check trains before travelling as maintenance work may disrupt normal service for all or part of the journey. Numerous buses go from the Town Centre along Bolton Road to the ground, the majority showing Darwen as their destination. Taxi from about £6.

The Area
Blackburn is a rather small town in comparison to other Premier League clubs, and with Manchester and Blackpool not far away, those making a weekend of this trip are more likely to head elsewhere for bright lights. The town does, however, offer all the typical attractions, as well as museums and some impressive rural landscapes nearby. Those looking for a pre-match pint should head to the Fernhurst on the Bolton Road (A666) just across from the ground at the away supporters end, or the Golden Cup.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/NextUpBlackburn.aspx?#ixzz0zmi8TU4u

WhiteJC

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23879234-losing-bobby-is-a-blow-that-we-can-now-overcome.do?
Dickson Etuhu: Losing Zamora is a blow that we can now overcome

Dickson Etuhu has not been able to bring himself to watch the highlights of the win over Wolves last Saturday. Fulham maintained their impressive unbeaten start to the season with a 2-1 victory at Craven Cottage — but it came at a price.

Etuhu's close friend and team-mate Bobby Zamora was carried off in agony following a crunching challenge by Wolves captain Karl Henry.

The striker was immediately ruled out of action until Christmas and yesterday came the news Fulham manager Mark Hughes dreaded. Not only has Zamora broken his ankle, he has ligament damage as well and won't play again until February at the earliest.

Etuhu, 28, was one of the first to visit Zamora in hospital as the England man came to terms with the injury that has wrecked his season.

"Everyone at Fulham has been left shattered by what happened to Bobby," Etuhu told Standard Sport.

"He is more than just a good player, he is also one of the biggest personalities in our dressing room.

"He is such a comedian and a joker and you can always hear him from the car park as soon as he arrives at the training ground. Without him around the next five months are going to be so boring, he just makes everyone so happy.

"I went to see Bobby in hospital straight after the game with Wolves and understandably he was very down. I saw the pain he was in on the pitch and knew straight away it was bad; none of the players wanted to look at his ankle."

Zamora had just enjoyed his best season as a player as he helped Fulham reach the Europa League Final. He was capped by England against Hungary last month and signed a new four-year contract a week ago — three days after Etuhu had done the same.

"Bobby will be back, of that there is no doubt in my mind," the midfielder added. "We have all made sure that he has been looking on the bright side and trying to take the positives out of what is a very difficult situation for him and have promised not to let our standards slip while he is sidelined.

"He has never had a serious injury in his career so he has to hope that this is his one and only.

"Ironically, we both put pen to paper on four-year deals to stay at Fulham last week and we were actually joking that we had to be careful walking down any stairs in case we fell and got injured. Bobby even suggested we sleep at the club's training ground to make sure that nothing happened to us before we signed.

"People don't realise what a precarious profession being a footballer is. Just look at what has happened to Nuno Valencia at Manchester United this week who is now out for most of the season. You can be at the high point of your career and feeling that life is fantastic and that nothing can go wrong and then in a split second you are in the totally opposite position.

"Bobby had a huge smile on his face when he walked into Craven Cottage on Saturday morning, he had signed a new deal, was an England international and look at him now, sat on his bed with a broken ankle.

"But he knows there is no pressure on him to get back to playing again and that is a huge weight off his shoulders. I told him he should use the time to make sure he comes back fitter and stronger than ever."

The loss of such a crucial player at this early stage of the season would have hurt Fulham in the past yet

Hughes's team are now a different proposition.
Etuhu, born in Nigeria but raised in Peckham from an early age, played at this summer's World Cup, as did Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and American striker Clint Dempsey, who can now expect to be the focal point of the attack in Zamora's absence.

"Bobby has been the main man for us but the great thing about Fulham at the moment is that we have the players to come in and fill the gap while he is out," Etuhu said.

"Clint Dempsey played so well last season and I am really excited about our new signing, Moussa Dembele, who came in a did so well with two goals against Wolves. Andy Johnson is also very close to regaining his match fitness as well, so it shows what a healthy squad we have built up."

The 28-year-old believes that Hughes is also the perfect man to help Fulham re-focus on football, starting with tomorrow's clash with the team he used to manage, Blackburn.

Etuhu, who has had spells at Manchester City, Preston, Norwich and Sunderland before arriving at Craven Cottage for £1.5million in 2008, believes Hughes's appointment this summer as Roy Hodgson's replacement will ensure last season's success is not a one-off.

"The whole club have been so upbeat since he took over from Roy and excited about what we can now achieve," he said.

"My brother, Kelvin, was at Manchester City with Hughes and told me a lot of good things about him before he arrived at Fulham. I was still quite shocked at what a good manager he is, the football he believes in and the way he carries and presents himself.

"We all wear suits now to every game, home and away, which might only seem like a small thing but it helps in our mental preparation.

"He is a very different boss to Roy, who was more interested in looking at the shape of the team and wanted us to sit back and defend and stay in our positions and then break forward.

"Mark Hughes is more dynamic and explosive and wants pace and power and to take the game to our opponents. We are more excited about this because we know we are going to get more goals this year and we are going to be more unpredictable."

Etuhu was still sad to see Hodgson, a manager he credits with rebuilding him as a player, leave for Liverpool in the summer but the freedom he now enjoys under Hughes has helped to soften the blow.

He only scored two goals last season but has already netted in this campaign with the late equaliser in the 2-2 draw at Blackpool.

He said: "I have a lot to thank Roy Hodgson because he helped me a lot and almost coached me from the beginning again — and I understand football better now because of him.

"Everyone knew under Roy Hodgson that we were going to play a solid 4-4-2, the strikers would come back and work hard, but now we are going to be pro-active.

"The new manager has encouraged me to get into the box as much as possible because he believes I can score a few goals this year."

Hughes was also a success at Blackburn and Etuhu fully expects him to receive a warm reception tomorrow.

"I know that he is still held in very high regard at Ewood Park because he did such a good job," he said.

Dickson Etuhu will be writing exclusively for the Evening Standard throughout the football season. For more information on Fulham FC go to fulhamfc.com

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9000608.stm?
Blackburn    v    Fulham

TEAM NEWS
Blackburn captain Ryan Nelsen is expected to be fit for Fulham's visit on Saturday.

Rovers will monitor the fitness of Michel Salgado, who injured his thigh against Manchester City.

Fulham winger Damien Duff should be available to face his former team after recovering from a calf injury.

Rafik Halliche and Fredrik Stoor (both groin) are doubts, while Andrew Johnson (knee) is still three to four weeks away from a first-team return.

Blackburn
Doubtful: Nelsen (foot), Salgado (thigh)
Injured: Andrews (groin)

Fulham
Doubtful: Duff (calf), Halliche & Stoor (both groin)
Injured: Dikgacoi (thigh), A Johnson (knee), Kamara (foot), Senderos (Achilles), Stockdale (ankle), Zamora (leg)

MATCH PREVIEW
Mark Hughes returns to the club where he made his managerial name hoping to extend his unbeaten start at new club Fulham to six matches.

Hughes spent four seasons in Lancashire, leading the club to three successive top-10 finishes, and it is that ability to maximise resources that no doubt persuaded Fulham to appoint the former Wales boss.

With only four league games of the season gone, that decision is already looking a wise one, with the Cottagers one of only five teams still defending an unbeaten record. But with striker Bobby Zamora out for the rest of the year and the injury-plagued Andrew Johnson still not ready to return, Hughes's talent for getting the best out of his squad will be severely tested over the coming months.

Since taking charge of Rovers in December 2008, Allardyce has turned to the blueprint that served him so well at Bolton Wanderers, building a powerful side that isn't embarrassed to play to its strengths.

A battling display at the City of Manchester Stadium led to familiar criticism of their bullying, long-ball approach, but Allardyce remains unmoved: "You use the assets you've got... We hope that puts a little bit more fear in everybody else that has to play us."

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• Fulham have only won one of their last eight Premier League meetings against Blackburn.
• Sam Allardyce has not won any of his last five league meetings with Mark Hughes as a manager, losing four.
• Clint Dempsey has scored three goals in his last three appearances against Blackburn.

Blackburn
• Blackburn go in search of their 1,000th win in top-flight football.
• They have only lost five out of 32 Premier League games at Ewood Park under Sam Allardyce.
• Rovers have scored 499 goals in the Premier League at Ewood Park.
Fulham
• Fulham have not won a league game away from home since August 2009, a run of 20 fixtures.
• They have failed to find the back of the net in nine of their last 11 Premier League away games.
• Mark Hughes has drawn 11 of his last 15 Premier League games as a manager.

LEADING GOALSCORERS
Blackburn
Mame Diouf: 4 goals (1 league); Kalinic: 2 goals (2 league)

Fulham
Dembele: 3 goals (2 league); Zamora: 3 goals (1 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistant referees: Dave Bryan & Phil Sharp
Fourth official: Lee Probert

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Blackburn (D1-1 v Man City, a): Robinson, Salgado (Chimbonda 46), Samba, Nelsen (Olsson 40), Givet, Mame Diouf, Jones, Grella (Nzonzi 57), Pedersen, El-Hadji Diouf, Kalinic. Subs not used: Bunn, Emerton, Dunn, Mwaruwari.

Fulham (W2-1 v Wolves, h): Schwarzer, Pantsil (Baird 46), Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly, Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Dempsey (Eddie Johnson 83), Zamora (Gera 30), Dembele. Subs not used: Etheridge, Riise, Greening, Halliche.

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/200147/Blackburn-v-Fulham-Match-Preview?
BLACKBURN V FULHAM MATCH PREVIEW

Blackburn v Fulham, Saturday, 18 September 2010, 15:00
Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado are doubts for Blackburn when Fulham visit tomorrow after both limped off against Manchester City last weekend.

Nelsen suffered a kick to the instep and Salgado a thigh injury and both will have fitness tests just before the match. Keith Andrews (groin) remains sidelined.

Team (from): Robinson, Bunn, Olsson, Samba, Givet, Nelsen, Salgado, Jones, Pedersen, Nzonzi, Kalinic, E-H Diouf, M B Diouf, Emerton, Hoilett, Chimbonda, Grella, Dunn, Benjani, Roberts, Linganzi.

Fulham winger Damien Duff should be available for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League clash with Blackburn after recovering from a calf injury.

Bobby Zamora is out for five months (broken fibula/ankle ligament damage) while Andrew Johnson (knee) is three to four weeks away from a first team return.

Rafik Halliche and Fredrik Stoor (both groin) are doubts while Philippe Senderos (Achilles) is a long-term absentee.
Diomansy Kamara (foot) is back in training but David Stockdale (ankle) has three more weeks on the sidelines.

Team (from): Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Pantsil, Salcido, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Halliche, Gera, Murphy, Duff, Riise, Etuhu, Dempsey, Greening, Davies, Dikgacoi, Elm, Dembele, Briggs.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/43829/McCarthy_sticks_up_for_under-fire_Henry.aspx?
McCarthy sticks up for under-fire Henry

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has urged Karl Henry not to curb his all-action style despite finding himself in the headlines.

Henry's tackle in last weekend's 2-1 defeat at Fulham left England striker Bobby Zamora facing five months on the sidelines with a broken leg.

McCarthy described the challenge as a "fantastic tackle" and is annoyed to see his midfielder coming under the media microscope following the high-profile incident.

"Karl felt deeply for him (Zamora) and I believe he has spoken to him, which I'd expect him to do," he said.

"If you're involved in any such incident then, as a fellow professional, you're going to have great empathy, certainly sympathy towards him, but then we all have.

"But it's not going to stop him. It was a great tackle and those things sadly happen. He has been highlighted and the irony is in the Fulham game he got booked for dissent.

"But Karl's coping great and he's had a fantastic start to the season, he's been terrific and he knows my view on it because I've told him - he just needs to keep playing the way he is."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/match/46029/blackburn-vs-fulham/preview
Premier League Preview: Blackburn Rovers - Fulham

Confidence And Crowd In Rovers' Favour

Blackburn Rovers await the arrival of Fulham with the confidence of home advantage coupled with the boost of having held Manchester City to a draw last week.

Rovers travelled to Eastlands last Saturday and performed admirably to carve out a 1-1 draw when pitted against the big spenders. It came as a welcome result, as a loss would have become their third consecutive defeat in the Premier League.

But that was not to be, as a communication breakdown between goalkeeper Joe Hart and defender Kolo Toure saw Nikola Kalinic score what would be the goal that earned his side a precious point on their travels.

So when the players take to the pitch at Ewood Park, manager Sam Allardyce may feel that anything less than a victory will be seen as an underwhelming result by the fans.

This is owing to the club's feat of finishing 10th last season, prompting unrealistic expectations of a clinching a European spot this term – and not to mention the hype surrounding a potential takeover that has suddenly gone all too quiet.

Even Allardyce has conceded in the recent past that a takeover could be in doubt, but he has nevertheless continued to work with what he has at the Lancashire club.

Travel Sickness

Fulham are enduring a severe bout of travel sickness, as it is now over a year since they last registered a victory away from home in the Premier League.

And even that victory came against a Portsmouth side that had become embroiled with severe financial turmoil off the pitch, as they eventually went into administration that induced relegation.

The gravity of the situation becomes clearer when one takes a couple of steps further into past seasons, as the Cottagers have only seven victories away from home in their last three seasons in the top-flight.

The London-based club's manager Mark Hughes has conceded that he wishes to rectify this, as he said: "Our away form is not good, but we're solid and played well at Bolton in the first match of the season – and I think we can build on that."

But the encouraging part for the boss is that his side registered their first league victory – against Wolverhampton Wanderers – last week. But even the script of that game proved to be a bittersweet symphony, as striker Bobby Zamora went off injured and is not expected to return for a few months.

But then again, the dark cloud came with a silver lining as summer signing Moussa Dembele scored his first Premier League goal against Wolves, and topped it by getting his name on the score sheet again to guide his side to a win.

The Cottagers will need him to continue his strong form if they are to beat their away day blues.

TEAM NEWS

Blackburn Rovers

Rovers boss has concerns over the fitness of defenders Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado, with the pair recovering from foot and thigh injuries respectively. Keith Andrews remains sidelined for this one owing to a groin injury.

Possible starting XI: Robinson; Salgado, Samba, Nelsen, Givet; Jones, Grella, Pedersen, H Diouf; M Diouf, Kalinic.

Fulham

The Cottagers will miss Bobby Zamora, who suffered a broken leg last week and is expected to remain on the sidelines for a significant part of the current campaign. Fellow forward Andy Johnson is still some way from reaching fitness. Last week's hero Moussa Dembele will be asked to shoulder the goal scoring responsibilities.

Diomansy Kamara and Philippe Senderos are also sidelined for this game, while Damien Duff and David Stockdale remain doubtful of making it in time for the trip to Ewood Park.

Possible starting XI: Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly; Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Dempsey; Gera; Dembele.

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/winger-hopes-for-hughes-1098304.html?
Winger hopes for Hughes

Mark Hughes is hoping that winger Damien Duff will be available for the clash at Blackburn as he recovers from a calf injury.
Duff should be fit but there are doubts over Rafik Halliche and Fredrik Stoor who have both been suffering with groin injuries.

Fulham will be without strikers Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson. Zamora broke his leg last weekend and could be out for five months and Johnson is still not over a knee injury although he expects to be back next month.

Diomansy Kamara is back in training but the clash may come too soon for him, while Philippe Senderos and David Stockdale are both out.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-v-Fulham-team-news-Damien-Duff-should-be-fit-for-Fulham-after-a-calf-injury-article582305.html
Duff to return to haunt Blackburn?

Fulham winger Damien Duff should be available for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League clash with Blackburn after recovering from a calf injury.

Bobby Zamora is out for five months (broken fibula/ankle ligament damage) while Andrew Johnson (knee) is three to four weeks away from a first team return.

Rafik Halliche and Fredrik Stoor (both groin) are doubts while Philippe Senderos (Achilles) is a long-term absentee.

Diomansy Kamara (foot) is back in training but David Stockdale (ankle) has three more weeks on the sidelines.

Team (from): Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Pantsil, Salcido, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Halliche, Gera, Murphy, Duff, Riise, Etuhu, Dempsey, Greening, Davies, Dikgacoi, Elm, Dembele, Briggs.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-v-Fulham-team-news-Damien-Duff-should-be-fit-for-Fulham-after-a-calf-injury-article582305.html#ixzz0zmlYVueX

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17092010/63/rovers-duo-struggling.html
Rovers duo struggling
Fri, 17 Sep 11:42:46 2010
Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado are doubts for Blackburn when Fulham visit after both limped off against Manchester City last weekend.

Nelsen suffered a kick to the instep and Salgado a thigh injury and both will have fitness tests just before the match.
Midfielder Keith Andrews (groin) remains sidelined.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3286156,00.html
Blackburn v Fulham preview
Formidable home form meets woeful away record at Ewood Park

Blackburn will be looking to get one over on former boss Mark Hughes when they entertain Fulham.

Rovers have endured an indifferent start to the 2010/11 campaign, with an opening day victory over Everton representing their solitary success in the league.

They did, however, put in a determined showing against top four hopefuls Manchester City last time out and will have taken heart from that performance.

Blackburn are also a formidable proposition on home soil, with only five defeats suffered in 32 games at Ewood Park under Sam Allardyce.
Rovers' boss does not have the best of records in meetings with Hughes, though, and has come off second best in four of their last five encounters.

Hughes, since leaving Blackburn in 2008, has won two and drawn one of his three league fixtures against his former employers.

That run could come under threat this weekend, though, as Fulham are currently in the middle of an away day slump.

They have won none of their last 20 trips out on the road in the Premier League.

The Cottagers have also failed to find the target in nine of their last 11 away matches, and have hit just one goal in their last four visits to Ewood Park.

Team news

Spanish full-back Michel Salgado will be missing for Blackburn as he is nursing a thigh strain.

Pascal Chimbonda is expected to provide cover at right-back, presenting him with a first Premier League start of the season.

Ryan Nelsen is still carrying a slight knock to his foot, picked up against City last time out, but Allardyce is hoping he will be fit for duty.

Republic of Ireland international Keith Andrews is a long-term absentee as he looks to shake off a groin injury, but David Dunn could be returned to the starting XI at the heart of the midfield.

Damien Duff should be available for Fulham after recovering from a calf problem.

Bobby Zamora is out for five months (broken fibula/ankle ligament damage) while Andrew Johnson (knee) is three to four weeks away from a first-team return.

Possible starting XIs
Blackburn: Robinson, Chimbonda, Samba, Nelsen, Givet, E Diouf, Dunn, Jones, Pedersen, M Diouf, Kalinic.
Fulham: Schwarzer, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Pantsil, Gera, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff, Dempsey, Dembele.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1312916/BLACKBURN-v-Fulham-Ryan-Nelsen-Michel-Salgado-undergo-late-fitness-test.html?
BLACKBURN v Fulham: Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado to undergo late fitness tests

Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado are doubts for Blackburn when Fulham visit Ewood Park after both limped off against Manchester City last weekend.

Nelsen suffered a kick to the instep and Salgado a thigh injury and both will have fitness tests just before the match. Keith Andrews (groin) remains sidelined.

Team (from): Robinson, Bunn, Olsson, Samba, Givet, Nelsen, Salgado, Jones, Pedersen, Nzonzi, Kalinic, E-H Diouf, M B Diouf, Emerton, Hoilett, Chimbonda, Grella, Dunn, Benjani, Roberts, Linganzi.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1312916/BLACKBURN-v-Fulham-Ryan-Nelsen-Michel-Salgado-undergo-late-fitness-test.html?#ixzz0zmmyy1vF

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6382515,00.html?
Kelly keen to keep place
Full-back hopeful of playing in favoured position against Rovers

Fulham's Stephen Kelly believes he has done enough to warrant a starting berth at right-back this weekend.

The Republic of Ireland full-back has been a feature of the Fulham backline this season, taking the place of left-back Paul Koncheskywho departed for Liverpool last month.

Kelly is likely to lose the left-back slot to Mexican international Carlos Salcido, who arrived during the last transfer window.

The former PSV man could make his Fulham debut against Blackburn on Saturday after having his visa granted, but Kelly is hoping to play in his more natural right-back position in place of John Pantsil.

The 27-year-old said in the Fulham Chronicle: "My performances over the past couple of games on the left have warranted me given a chance on my natural side.

"I've been playing well out of position, so I think if Carlos had been available I hopefully would've been given a chance at right-back.

"There's a lot of competition for places at full-back, but I think I've played well enough to keep my place in the team, whether that be at right-back or left-back."

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17092010/58/premier-league-matchpack-blackburn-rovers-v-fulham.html?
Premier League - Matchpack: Blackburn Rovers v Fulham

TEAM NEWS
Fulham winger Damien Duff should be available after recovering from a calf injury. Bobby Zamora is out for five months (broken fibula/ankle ligament damage) while Andrew Johnson (knee) is three to four weeks away from a first team return.

Blackburn's Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado are doubts for Blackburn after both limped off against Manchester City last weekend. Nelsen suffered a kick to the instep and Salgado a thigh injury and both will have fitness tests just before the match. Keith Andrews (groin) remains sidelined.

MATCH FACTS
Clint Dempsey has scored three goals in his last three appearances against Blackburn.

Fulham have only won one of the last eight Premier League meetings against Blackburn.

Blackburn have only lost five of their 32 Premier League home games under Sam Allardyce.

Fulham have won none of their last 20 Premier League away matches.

The Londoners have failed to score in nine of their last 11 Premier League away matches.

Blackburn have scored 499 goals in the Premier League at Ewood Park.

Blackburn have completed just 55.8 per cent of their passes in the Premier League so far this season; lower than any other side.

Fulham have hit just one goal in total in their last four trips to Ewood Park in the league.

Sam Allardyce has won none of his last five league meetings with Mark Hughes as a manager, losing four.

Mark Hughes has won two of his three league meetings with his former club as a manager, drawing the other.

ODDS
Blackburn Evens, Draw 21/10, Fulham 5/2

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/09/football-news/keeper-mark-schwarzer-earns-fulham-praise?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ffc_Premiership_Blogs+%28FFC_Premiership_Blogs%29
KEEPER MARK SCHWARZER EARNS FULHAM PRAISE

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has praised Mark Schwarzer's professionalism following a transfer window full of speculation surrounding the goalkeeper's future.

The Australia international made his first appearance of the season in last weekend's 2-1 victory over Wolves.

Schwarzer was given a warm reception by the Craven Cottage crowd despite reportedly been keen to join Arsenal during the summer.

He was the subject of two unsuccessful bids before the transfer window closed and Hughes is pleased with how the veteran shot-stopper has bounced back from any disappointment he may have felt.

"He's a good professional and I didn't think there would be any difference in his daily work or approach to games. It was never a worry for me and he's getting on with his job," Hughes told the club's official website.

"We weren't receptive to any bids because Mark's too important to us. We would much rather he was here helping us win Premier League games.

"His immediate future is here at Fulham and we're hopeful we can show him where we want to go and what we want to do in the future. Obviously I've made it known to him that I want him to be a part of that."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1312931/Sam-Allardyce-Id-win-league-year-I-Manchester-United-boss.html?
Sam Allardyce: I'd win the league every year if I was manager of Manchester United

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce has claimed he would win the league every year if he was manager of Manchester United or Real Madrid.

Allardyce, the former Bolton and Newcastle manager, believes he hasn't been given a good enough chance to shine at bigger clubs.

He said: 'I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Inter Milan or Real Madrid.

'It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the double or the league every time.

'Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem.

'It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time.

'It's not a problem to take me into the higher reaches of the Champions League or Premier League and would make my job a lot easier in winning it.'

Blackburn picked up a fine draw at Manchester City last weekend, and will hope to build on that when they entertain Fulham on Saturday. Opposing manager Mark Hughes is another that Allardyce feels hasn't been given enough time.

Allardyce said: 'His Manchester City reign obviously was not long enough. A little bit like me at Newcastle, but I didn't last quite as long as Sparky though.

'He was given the chance and unfortunately at that stage of his career they decided to have a change.

'You look back on it and he'll be very disappointed because they only lost two games I think. But that is the way it is sometimes, there's a perception that other people can do better than you, but often the reality is not the case.

'He decided that Fulham was the place for him, he's taken over what he's described in his own words as a very good team and he's started where they left off last season.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1312931/Sam-Allardyce-Id-win-league-year-I-Manchester-United-boss.html?#ixzz0znJoktSX