watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

13M on absolute garbage

Started by Wearethewhites, November 03, 2017, 11:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Sorry for the strong title, but, that's how I currently feel right now, especially when the Club portrays a stats based approach, yet, we end up spending the best part of 13M on one player, who can't even cope with the physicality of the Championship, and another, who struggles to even trap a ball.

Granted, we've succeeded in other areas, statistically, finding players, but, after the successes of last season, how the hell did we get this so wrong? Fonte' struggled for Palace at this level, Kamara, hadn't even kicked a ball outside the French 2nd tier, Gillingham didn't fancy him, and these 2 were supposed to fire us to Championship greatness.

That aside, we also ignored that fact that we needed a commanding centre half. I'm sorry, but Kalas has been absolutely shocking this season, and if I had known that then, I'd have never welcomed him back, but still, we should have brought in at least one more.

Where is our leader? No leader on the pitch, or one installed when Parker left the Club. Every game, McDonald looks at Cairney, Cariney looks at McDonald. No one is taking this team by the scruff of the neck.

Getting rid of Matt Smith was a mistake. Not something I wanted to see long term, but, we got rid and replaced him with what? We've literary got no plan B, or target man at the Club. I've been saying for ages, that you need a Fletcher type Murray striker in your squad for any promotion push.

Sessegnon is not a left back, he was not, or shouldn't have been Malone's replacement. He is currently un-droppable, makes us defensively weaker, and I'm now convinced, that its in his contract that he has to play every week.

What also worries me, is that we have a whole team that is under-performing, not just the new players, but players from last year that were so effective. We look flat, out of ideas, and have gone from a free scoring side, that doesn't even look like scoring in 90 minutes.

Yes, we didn't have a great summer, yes, we got it wrong again, yes, we tried to be clever by making a profit and not replacing for better, and yes, we never backed Jokanovic.

Jokanovic doesn't get off the hook either, he's in un-chartered waters this season, hasn't spent any longer than 2 season at a Club, so, we don't actually know, if he's any good, or can sustain what he achieved last season.

Regardless of everything, we've become an absolute mess from front to back, and after last seasons achievements, the change is unbelievable. Can't defend, can't attack, can't close teams down, can't get physical, can't take corners, can't hit the target, can't score goals, the list goes on.

Something has to give unfortunately, and the current mess we find ourselves in, isn't going to get resolved over night, and may only take a January window to sort out.

Until then, the Club has to get whatever it does next, absolutely spot on to save this season.               

FulhamStu

Well quite frankly, I can't argue with too much of this, I would say it's not quite that bad, but you make many a good point.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: FulhamStu on November 03, 2017, 11:30:23 PM
Well quite frankly, I can't argue with too much of this, I would say it's not quite that bad, but you make many a good point.

It may "not be quite that bad" NOW!

But we are on a spiral downwards and I really don't want to think about were we may be in January!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Wearethewhites on November 03, 2017, 11:23:05 PM
Sorry for the strong title, but, that's how I currently feel right now, especially when the Club portrays a stats based approach, yet, we end up spending the best part of 13M on one player, who can't even cope with the physicality of the Championship, and another, who struggles to even trap a ball.

Granted, we've succeeded in other areas, statistically, finding players, but, after the successes of last season, how the hell did we get this so wrong? Fonte' struggled for Palace at this level, Kamara, hadn't even kicked a ball outside the French 2nd tier, Gillingham didn't fancy him, and these 2 were supposed to fire us to Championship greatness.

That aside, we also ignored that fact that we needed a commanding centre half. I'm sorry, but Kalas has been absolutely shocking this season, and if I had known that then, I'd have never welcomed him back, but still, we should have brought in at least one more.

Where is our leader? No leader on the pitch, or one installed when Parker left the Club. Every game, McDonald looks at Cairney, Cariney looks at McDonald. No one is taking this team by the scruff of the neck.

Getting rid of Matt Smith was a mistake. Not something I wanted to see long term, but, we got rid and replaced him with what? We've literary got no plan B, or target man at the Club. I've been saying for ages, that you need a Fletcher type Murray striker in your squad for any promotion push.

Sessegnon is not a left back, he was not, or shouldn't have been Malone's replacement. He is currently un-droppable, makes us defensively weaker, and I'm now convinced, that its in his contract that he has to play every week.

What also worries me, is that we have a whole team that is under-performing, not just the new players, but players from last year that were so effective. We look flat, out of ideas, and have gone from a free scoring side, that doesn't even look like scoring in 90 minutes.

Yes, we didn't have a great summer, yes, we got it wrong again, yes, we tried to be clever by making a profit and not replacing for better, and yes, we never backed Jokanovic.

Jokanovic doesn't get off the hook either, he's in un-chartered waters this season, hasn't spent any longer than 2 season at a Club, so, we don't actually know, if he's any good, or can sustain what he achieved last season.

Regardless of everything, we've become an absolute mess from front to back, and after last seasons achievements, the change is unbelievable. Can't defend, can't attack, can't close teams down, can't get physical, can't take corners, can't hit the target, can't score goals, the list goes on.

Something has to give unfortunately, and the current mess we find ourselves in, isn't going to get resolved over night, and may only take a January window to sort out.

Until then, the Club has to get whatever it does next, absolutely spot on to save this season.               

Not a lot wrong with that report.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jarv

Good report. Sad reading but probably honest....same old Fulham. 092.gif

Matt10

What don't you understand?

Do you honestly think Matt Smith would be a better player in this football tactics? Really? Do you see how often we run into eachother, and how often our full backs get up the pitch, only to never cross the ball? Do you think Matt Smith would serve well in that role?

What is this obssession with player choice? If you watch our matches, how can you say that any true striker would serve any purpose?

AK47 is a big strong striker...yet he has to play like a winger sometimes? Why is that? Look at our free kicks, corners, we can't even get the ball past the first defender.

My goodness. Player choice may be the easy answer, but I think that is limited thinking, and is just a band-aid to an inevitable long-term problem.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: Matt10 on November 04, 2017, 12:21:19 AM

Do you honestly think Matt Smith would be a better player in this football tactics? Really? Do you see how often we run into eachother, and how often our full backs get up the pitch, only to never cross the ball? Do you think Matt Smith would serve well in that role?

What is this obssession with player choice? If you watch our matches, how can you say that any true striker would serve any purpose?

AK47 is a big strong striker...yet he has to play like a winger sometimes? Why is that? Look at our free kicks, corners, we can't even get the ball past the first defender.

My goodness. Player choice may be the easy answer, but I think that is limited thinking, and is just a band-aid to an inevitable long-term problem.

I'm sorry, Matt, but this doesn't make any sense what so ever, and it just sounds like you're going on a rant, for the sake of it.

Whether Kamara, or if you prefer AK74, plays as a winger, striker, is big or strong, its his ability that lets him down, and the guy, whether you like it or not, can't even trap his first ball. He came from a 2nd tier French team, for 5M, and Gillighmam, didn't even fancy him - absurd.

If you had read my post correctly, you'd have seen, that I said, I wouldn't like to see Matt Smith long term, however, yes, I believe he'd have given us a better plan B than we have right now.

I'm all for a bit of constructive debate, but, at least bring something creditable to the conversation.

Wearethewhites

"What is this obssession with player choice? If you watch our matches, how can you say that any true striker would serve any purpose?"

This comment is madness  096.gig

Matt10

Quote from: Wearethewhites on November 04, 2017, 12:44:07 AM

I'm sorry, Matt, but this doesn't make any sense what so ever, and it just sounds like you're going on a rant, for the sake of it.

Whether Kamara, or if you prefer AK74, plays as a winger, striker, is big or strong, its his ability that lets him down, and the guy, whether you like it or not, can't even trap his first ball. He came from a 2nd tier French team, for 5M, and Gillighmam, didn't even fancy him - absurd.

If you had read my post correctly, you'd have seen, that I said, I wouldn't like to see Matt Smith long term, however, yes, I believe he'd have given us a better plan B than we have right now.

I'm all for a bit of constructive debate, but, at least bring something creditable to the conversation.

My apologies, I should have let the steam down a bit. I just got done watching the match so it is very, frustratingly, fresh.

I want us all to stop blaming players. They are only instructed on what the coach implements. I like Joka, but his system is letting us all down. I don't think Matt Smith, Chris Martin or whoever else, would succeed in this system.

We don't take risks, and crossing the ball is a risk. That fact alone doesn't bode well for any striker. Look how often our players move into position in the box, yet the ball never shows up.

How many early crosses have we sent in? I can count them on one hand.

Again, my apologies. I'm usually more level headed. I'm just frustrated and I am player first, so my mentality goes to defend them first. You can tell they are so scared to make a mistake because this attempt at a perfect football system.

RaySmith

Matt Smith caused us a lot of problems when he came on near the end of the game at QPR, and  nearly resulted in them getting something from the game.

Would Kamara or Fonte have caused us the same, or any, problems  if either  had come on for them?

Hit high balls up to Smith in the box and he will win  a lot of them, and threaten the opposing goal - he is experienced at this level and can do a job.  What job do Kamara/ fonte do for us, though admittedly they are part of a poorly performing, lacking  confidence, side, making it hard for them to adapt.

the nutflush

The fact that we don't have a Matt Smith or a Chris Martin in this squad means we do not have a plan B.  I think Martin is the man this squad misses most of all.  We have no strength and no hold up play whatsoever.  Money wasted on half assed strikers and a glut of mediocre wingers. 

EJL

Quote from: Wearethewhites on November 04, 2017, 12:44:58 AM

"What is this obssession with player choice? If you watch our matches, how can you say that any true striker would serve any purpose?"

This comment is madness  096.gig
I think there's a good point in there. We hardly create any clear-cut opportunities for centre-forwards. Our crossing is largely terrible, our midfield hardly ever look to play attackers in behind the defence, and balls played into the striker are not followed up by midfield/wide players breaking the lines and advancing beyond whoever's trying to hold the ball up. So yes, at this moment in time it wouldn't really make the slightest bit of difference who is starting up front as our entire gameplan does not cater to any type of striker.

People were too busy (rightly) criticising Martin due to off-field stuff to realise how poor our service was to him on a regular basis, but it didn't matter too much as we spread the goals out throughout the team (Cairney and Johansen with 10+; Aluko, Ayite and Sessegnon not far behind).

Darkside

It's becoming difficult to see where our next goal will come from.
The so-called forwards hardly get the ball, and they've scored 2 goals and missed a penalty so far between them.

penalties ? don't go there, it's heart in mouth if we ever get one.

hovewhite

We have a bunch of wingers that have stopped crossing the ball and seem to want to go inside and pass rather than cross and who last night might as well stayed at home,as for strikers no one in the team trust them to score so you have a team where if there is a plan the players dont trust the plan.
Slav needs to give the players in the squad who havent played a chance like madl as we are on a downward spiral,we dont beat the first man on corners we have stopped getting to the byline and crossing we dont look together as a team,slav is not using the squad stiluck in a power game wdlith TK,something has to give.

toshes mate

Quote from: Wearethewhites on November 03, 2017, 11:23:05 PM
Sorry for the strong title, but, that's how I currently feel right now ....
Spot on, the whole way through. 

It is a terrible mess that'll only get worse unless Fulham start being truly professional from the Boardroom down.  You cannot have amateurs anywhere near a professional football club.

davew

Matt, we don't put in many crosses because we don't have any players that can cross the ball, assume you have been watching us take corners, correction try to take corners this season? There are guys in my local pub team who are better!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)