watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (06/11/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 06, 2017, 07:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's mad October sums up their season - but Slavisa Jokanovic must stay at the helm

Do you agree with the verdict of our Fulham reporter?

It's been a mad month - one that sums up how the season has been as a whole for Fulham, starting right back in pre-season.

No one really expected the side to be in the position they're now in at the start of the season with the Cottagers languishing in 17th place, five points from the relegation places with calls for Slavisa Jokanovic to be sacked from some members of the Cottage faithful.

Describing it as a shambles wouldn't do it justice - we're only at the start of November and there's already been a soap opera behind the scenes with Craig Kline getting the sack, while what we've seen on the pitch amounts to a Greek tragedy.

Four wins from 16 games simply isn't good enough, and one win at home in the past nine (including last season) is appalling - there's no glossing those stats up.

The side have lacked ideas going forward, have looked sloppy defensively and have been void of any sort of bite since that 4-1 drubbing of Huddersfield in April.

But who is to blame?

Well, firstly, the buck always stops with the manager, although I don't think that necessarily means Jokanovic should be sacked - far from it actually.

Sure, it's down to him to manage the side and to get them to perform, which they haven't been doing, but there's always that feeling that he's doing things with one arm tied behind his back.

He should certainly take criticism for the team selections and the lack of attacking ideas on the pitch - for me, starting Yohan Mollo and Rafa Soares after the international break are musts.

There is also the criticism that he is tactically stubborn, which have some foundation, although you could argue that his decision to play three at the back against Bristol and play both Rui Fonte and Aboubakar Kamara against Nottingham Forest were a move away tactically from his usual 4-3-3 and show he is willing to try and change tactics to get things happening.

The Nottingham change semi-worked while the three at the back didn't, but as Jokanovic has said he is working everyday with what he has to try and address this issue.

Realistically, no one in their right mind would've got rid of the manager come the end of the previous season having changed the side from a side near the bottom of the table to one of the best in the league.

Yes, Fulham have been playing terribly, but Kline leaving the club can be seen as Fulham's hierarchy backing the manager - Jokanovic, whether publicly admitting it or not, will certainly be happy the American is no longer at the club.

And that leads to recruitment - despite finding some gems last season using the stats based model, this time around it hasn't quite been the same.

Far too many of the players that have come in aren't on a level to challenge first team members for a starting place - the likes of Ibrahima Cisse, Marcelo Djalo and Jordan Graham have added depth to the side, but not quality.

You could argue that depth is what Fulham needed to challenge this season, the side are clearly good enough to get promoted based on last season and maybe that influenced summer signings somewhat - why buy these players for vasts sums if the players at the club are already good enough?

For me, though, players should be brought to the club only if they can add something to it, and a lot of the summer signings just don't at the moment.

Kamara is raw and has potential, but he wasn't brought in to lead the line for Fulham this season, while Djalo clearly wasn't the answer to the side's defensive problems.

Jokanovic had a point - he wanted a striker and a centre back and we can all see why now - the side are frail at the back and can't score goals.

Is sacking the manager going to solve that problem?

Certainly not.

People will also point to the departures of Scott Malone and Sone Aluko as part of the slump that Fulham find themselves in, but I can't agree with that.

Let's start with Malone - last season he played out of his skin and had a season that he will remember forever, but was that his usual level?

No, is the short answer.

Malone has always been an average Championship player who came to life last season, but he was always going to regress to the mean, so selling him when his stock was highest was the right thing to do.

The club then went and got Rafa Soares, and while injury means he's still a pre-season behind the team (which you think will sorted with the international break), it's very obvious that he is a better player than Malone.

Aluko, on the other hand, has always been a top end Championship player and played very well for Fulham last season.

But to receive a bid of £7.5million for a 28-year-old you signed on a free last summer?

Any club would bite your hand off for it.

After selling him, though, the club then went out and got Sheyi Ojo on a loan for the season, who in my eyes, is a better player than Aluko.

This will cause some debate for sure, but before Ojo's injury he was actually the most dangerous player in the Fulham side in terms of dangerous attacks and passes.

Having him and Lucas Piazon return from injury will go someway to helping the creativity in the side.

Although those two pieces of business stand out as good ones for me, there were too many that haven't worked.

January, although a way off, provides Fulham with the opportunity to get it right this time, and while that will frustrate fans and lead to questions why it wasn't in the summer, this is where the side find themselves.

James Lovell, a man that understands football and has been at the club for six years, is now sitting in the data analyst role for the interim period - will a man that Jokanovic gets on with mean that he is more willing to sit on transfer meetings and perhaps have his voice heard clearer?

You would certainly hope so.

Now isn't the time to sack Jokanovic, the international break provides the opportunity for the backroom staff to lock themselves in a room, re-watch the tapes, decide where they've gone wrong and to get out and fix it.

The busiest fixture time of the year is just around the corner and once that is over, we're have a much clearer picture of just how deep the problem runs, until then, keeping faith and sticking with Jokanovic is the route to go.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-mad-october-sums-up-13859814

WhiteJC

Is Fulham battling QPR for Saman Ghoddos a response to Rui Fonte's struggles?

Saman Ghoddos has been in prolific form for Ostersunds this season - which is more than can be said for Rui Fonte at Fulham.

Fulham might have been left bloodied and bruised in the play-off semi-finals last season but at least they could take solace in knowing they were top of the class when it came to entertainment.

No one scored more than Fulham's 72 Championship goals last season, level with Norwich City and champions Newcastle United. With Tom Cairney pulling the strings, Ryan Sessegnon raiding from the left, Sone Aluko scheming and Chris Martin scoring, The Cottagers were a better defence away from fighting for automatic promotion.

In the first two months of 2017/18, however, it's fair to say the Fulham side that exhilarated the masses last season was nowhere to be seen. So far, The Cottagers have hit the net just 18 times in 15 league fixtures and sit in mid-table, closer to the relegation zone than the top - and summer signing Rui Fonte has been a huge disappointment.

The 6ft 1ins striker arrived at Craven Cottage to replace Chris Martin following his return to Derby County. So far, however, Fonte has scored just once in ten Championship games from a centre forward position.

And the fact that Fulham sent scouts to watch Ostersunds forward Saman Ghoddos in action during the Europa League clash with Athletic Bilbao on Thursday night rather reflects just how poor Fulham, and Fonte in particular, have been in front of goal this season.

HITC sources tell us that Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is desperate to improve his attacking options and wants to challenge long-time suitors Queens Park Rangers for Ghoddos.

Considering that the Iran international has posted 19 goals in 36 games for Ostersunds in 2017, you can see why both Fulham and QPR are interested. And The Cottagers sudden interest in a player who would cost around £4.6 million, according to Ostersunds' director in Aftenbladet, is certainly daunting news for Fonte.

After all, the arrival of Ghoddos would surely put his place under threat.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/03/is-fulham-battling-qpr-for-saman-ghoddos-a-response-to-rui-fonte/

WhiteJC

Fulham Director Had Bonkers Idea To Mend Relationship With Manager

Craig Kline, an American employed by Fulham as their director of statistical recruitment, left the club in acrimonious and farcical circumstances last week.

After being told he his services were no longer required, the Mail on Sunday reports that Kline called the police. Some lengthy talks with officers - where he apparently aired his grievances regarding his dismissal took place at some picnic tables - before he eventually departed the club's training ground.

Kline had been hired by Tony Khan, Fulham's director of football operations and also the son of owner Shahid Khan. Kline had wielded serious influence at the club, using a statistical model to direct to the club's transfer policy. Under his model, the signing of players such as Tammy Abraham, Aaron Mooy and Glenn Murray were all rejected.

Matters reportedly came to boiling point last week when Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic sent players, recruited using Kline's model, to train with the club's U23s. Kline objected to the manager's decision.

A particularly interesting - and very amusing - anecdote regarding Kline's time at the club comes from The Guardian's Daniel Taylor. In an attempt to create the impression that everything was rosy between him and Jokanovic, Kline proposed that they contrive a ridiculous press conference scene which would go viral.

Kline's suggestion, I'm reliably informed, was to propose that he dressed up as a sumo wrestler and burst into one of Jokanovic's press conferences to challenge him to a fight. At which point, the manager would rip off his clothes to show that he, too, was dressed sumo-style. They would grapple for a few minutes in front of the journalists and, according to the logic, this little sketch would go viral and demonstrate they did actually get on. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Jokanovic turned the idea down.

https://www.balls.ie/football/slavisa-jokanovic-craig-kline-fulham-377095

WhiteJC

Fulham fan column: Liam Ventom discusses, tactics, team selection and 'a plethora of off the field issues' after defeats to Bristol City and Wolves

In this fan column, Liam Ventom shares his thoughts on what's gone wrong for the Cottagers.

It's been a frustrating month for Fulham, who have battled controversy on and off the field.

In this fan column, Liam Ventom shares his thoughts on what's gone wrong for the Cottagers.

The Verdict: Fulham fans were excellent, the players not so much as a cutting edge lets them down in defeat to Wolves

It's been a frustrating month for Fulham, who have battled controversy on and off the field.

"October saw several poor results from a Fulham perspective, culminating in a disastrous defeat at the hands of Bristol City

"November has started in similar fashion with an uninspiring performance against league leaders Wolves doing nothing to ease the fears circulating the fan base at present. The team have looked tactically inept and incapable of replicating last season's free-flowing attacking football. There are also a plethora of off the field issues within the club, many of which surfaced after the departure of Craig Kline however, I will be discussing that in a later piece.

"A key issue has been in Slavisa's recent team selections, particularly in the attacking region of the pitch. While I acknowledge that Kamara has certain desirable qualities, his pace and physical presence, he has little technical ability and possesses the touch of a brick wall and in a side devoted to passing football this is a huge problem. Furthermore, his continued inclusion in the side often prevents Fonte from playing in his natural central role, someone whom is much more suited to our style of play and has an impressive track record in Liga Nos.

"It is unfair to criticise Fonte's recent displays seeing that he has been deployed in an unfamiliar position, and I believe that given a run at striker he will win over those doubting his class. Personally, I agree with those calling for Kamara to be sold in January, he is too technically poor to play in this side and I see little benefit in keeping him.

"In terms of the Wolves line-up, I was disappointed not to see Rafa Soares start. With the left now fit I would like to see him become a regular in the team, he is highly regarded and has much to offer the side with his crossing and exceptional set pieces attracting attention from clubs such as Liverpool. His inclusion would also allow Ryan Sessegnon to push forward into a more attacking position where he is much better suited, as shown in instances last season most notably during his superb display at St James' Park.

"The three/five at the back formation deployed against Bristol City is something I do not favour for this Fulham side. This formation limits our ability to control games from the midfield and whilst intended to improve us defensively it has the opposite effect. Bristol managed to exploit us in a similar way that Reading did last season, when Slavisa last experimented with this formation, through the use of lofted diagonal balls. Ream looked iscolated and the weakness in coping with these types of balls again came back to haunt us in this Halloween fixture.

"An evident defensive weakness is something many fans dislike about the current side, however personally I am willing to sacrifice clean sheets in order to accommodate for Slavisa's attractive attacking philosophy. But when the attacking intent is lacking, as it has been recently, I can appreciate the frustration fellow fans feel with our defensive in capabilities. For instance the pitiful attempt at defending set pieces on display at Molineux was infuriating especially because we offered nothing going forward.

"Stuart Gray is experienced enough to make this defence more secure than it is currently, and I hope to see some improvement because as we have seen we cannot always rely on our attack.

"Despite my frustration with the state of the team at present and my criticism of Jokanovic's recent tactics he remains the right man to manage the club. I have full confidence in his abilities and I disagree with those calling for him to be sacked. He took us on a wonderful run last season where we saw some amazing football at the cottage the likes of which has not been seen since the days of Tigana.

"Additionally, his excellent record in this division speaks for itself, I think it would be naive of the club to let him go.

"Overall the last month has been dreadful in terms of both results and performances there is no denying that, however thirty games remain for us to make the season a positive one. The quality in the squad is clear and we must now start translating that quality into results and performances. Speaking like the true optimist I am, it can only get better from here, but then again this is Fulham."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-fan-column-liam-venton-13860513

WhiteJC

Craig Kline: A story, a timeline, a sideshow

by FPTaylor on November 5, 2017

London's oldest professional football club, recently divorced from a long term relationship from the Premier League was in a position of need. With results threatening even their place in English football's second tier, a figure arrived with a laptop of dreams and a data model even the greatest of snake oil salesmen would be proud to boast. It was October in Fulham's first season in the Championship, Felix bingo been abruptly terminated with the Whites languishing in the relegation zones. It also proved to be the last of Fulham's traditional transfer windows where chief executive Alistair Mackintosh worked alongside with the club's manager.

That summer saw the majority of Fulham's outlay head to Leeds United in return for Scottish mercurial Ross McCormack amongst a litany of dross (whither Adil Chihi, Mark Fotheringham, Adam Taggart and Kay Voser). In the aftermath of mad Magath's departure, Fulham eventually scraped survival under head coach Kit Symons, who was appointed by committee, and installed scouting and recruitment 'guru' Mike Rigg to oversee another rebuild. The wage bill was slashed and finances made available via player sales, Fulham brought in a number of British based footballers with a semi-successful strike rate but, after the ownership were underwhelmed by the performances of Richard Stearman at centre half, the way Fulham recruited changed. A mysterious excel wielding figure checked the boxes as his first computer based signing popped up at Motspur Park. Finnish midfielder Sakari Mattila arrived for a nominal fee, departing 12 months and nine appearances later, when his contract was cancelled. Nothing like a bright start.

Fulham's demise continued with few of the summer arrivals performing to a standard required for midtable never mind pushing for promotion. The amount spent on Stearman is said to have disappointed some at the club, especially after the elongated summer pursuit of Lewis Dunk. Another change of head coach came 49 days of embarrassment before Kit Symons' replacement was announced in Serbian Slavisa Jokanovic, only the second Fulham head coach to be 'bought' from another club. The new man had to operate under a transfer embargo after Fulham breached the Championship's Financial Fair Play regulations, but the January window saw the first mention of mysterious numerical maniac. Austrian central defender Michael Madl arrived on an initial loan deal, with Sam Wallace noting the influence of American Craig Kline. In the same story, Wallace discussed the first drama involving the basket case where he was ordered away from the training ground following a 'ruck' with Chief Operating Officer, Darren Preston, over an office of all things. There were shades of Mark Hughes and the first seeds were planted in a long running war between computer, computer man and man.

A Fulham spokesperson denied Kline had a power of veto and insisted Jokanovic would have the final say. It appears now that may been an economical version of the truth. Kline wanted his data metrics to take precedence over traditional scouting methods – and this led to Fulham failing to sign the likes of Andreas Pereira, Aaron Mooy, Tammy Abraham and Glenn Murray. All players that would have helped Fulham in their ambitions to reignite their love affair with the lucrative and luxurious Premier League. In July 2017, Jokanovic complained that his list of potential signings had been  ignored, feeling zero responsibility for recruitment and that the last decision would fall in Kline's hands, mouse, key board or hard drive (I may have used a little artistic licence with the last part). Even after Marcelo Djalo was signed, Slavisa Jokanovic wanted more quality in the centre of defence in a scathing post-match interview after our pre-season finale against Wolfsburg. At this point, we had not improved our backline – including replacing Scott Malone – or signed a centre forward, and that central defender that our Serbian head coach vastly wanted was never to come.

After a long chase for Uruguayan striker Diego Rolan didn't come to fruition, Slavisa Jokanovic reportedly requested a move for Norwich's Cameron Jerome, but Fulham's new in-house policy meant they would not sign players past 28. Whether this rule was introduced in response to 30 year-old Ragnar Sigurdsson's shambolic career, who joined after Euro 2016 and cost around £4m as well as becoming one of the highest wage-earners. The eighteen month Kline era saw ten computer-assisted arrivals who were either sold or returned following a short-term loan – if the flaws aren't outlined by that figure, I'm not sure what will paint the picture of a bad data model.

In February, a Fulham official statement heralded the news that Tony Khan had been appointed both Club vice chairman and director of football operations, with a pyramid in management structure established. Kline was promoted to the position of assistant director of football operations and director of statistical research whilst chief scout, Brian Talbot, sat on an 'equal' pedestal with Kline as Fulham's new assistant director of football operations. As highlighted previously, the summer of 2017 is looking to be a bad window for the football club with zero of the new signings making an impact, made even clearer with individual performances from the returning play-off squad not meeting last years level; to make things worse, captain Tom Cairney has been injured, fit enough to only contribute to seven games so far this season.

The crazy tale of the maniacal American included wanting a place on the bench with Slavisa Jokanovic on match days and stopping under-23 coach Peter Grant from including Madl, Yohan Mollo and Jordan Graham in his side. The draw against Bolton appears to have been the last straw, a number of Craig Kline arrivals deemed inadequate by Slavisa Jokanovic and a poor season overall saw Shahid Khan go over the head of his son Tony and tell the unstable Kline that he was no longer wanted at the football. After being dismissed, Kline called the Metropolitan Police, who conducted a cursory interview on a bench outside the training ground.

With long term employee and first team performance analysis, James Lovell taking Craig Kline's position on an interim basis, you hope the football club can move forward both on and off the pitch. Over three years of chaos compiling on a stalling football team, who knew statistical recruitment could have such an negative impact? To steal songstress Gwen Stefani's lyric, this poo's bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/11/craig-kline-a-story-a-timeline-a-sideshow/

WhiteJC

Fulham Supporters' Trust issue statement over 'concerning' circumstances over Craig Kline's departure

The Trust are concerned over reports in the national media over Craig Kline's departure from Fulham and the circumstances surrounding it

The Fulham Supporters' Trust have issued a statement expressing concern regarding ex- Fulham assistant director of football operations Craig Kline and the alleged circumstance surrounding his departure.

Kline was relieved of duties at the weekend and reports in the national press on Sunday suggest his behaviour behind the scenes at Motspur Park was a major factor in the American data analyst leaving the club.

Those reports suggest that Kline would not allow Slavisa Jokanovic to sign players such as Aaron Moy, Andreas Pereira and Tammy Abraham as the didn't meet his stats criteria, while also alleging he wanted to burst into a press conference dressed as a sumo wrestler and wrestle Jokanovic to prove their relationship wasn't strained, amongst other things.

In a statement, the Fulham Supporter's Trust said: "Fulham fans are alarmed and concerned by further stories in the national press this morning about the circumstances surrounding the departure of Fulham Football Club's former assistant director of football operations and director of statistical research.

"Whilst employment issues at Fulham Football Club should remain confidential, any implications following Mr. Kline's departure interest anyone who cares passionately about Fulham Football Club. The Fulham Supporters' Trust intend to discuss this matter fully with Fulham Football Club's chief executive officer, Alistair Mackintosh, and other senior Club officials during our upcoming regular structured dialogue meeting at Motspur Park later this month.

"Tom Greatrex, chair of the Fulham Supporters' Trust said: 'The Trust and senior management at Fulham football club have worked hard over recent times to develop a strong relationship where the independent fans organisation has structured dialogue with the Club on issues of importance.

"'It is not enjoyable to read about such apparently stark division behind the scenes, and it should be no surprise that the implications for the club have prompted concerns and questions from Trust members.

"'It is part of our role to put those concerns to the Club, and we will do so when we meet later this month. This is a very significant time for the Fulham both on and off the field, and we want to see a focussed and united organisation making progress.'"

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-supporters-trust-issue-statement-13861897

WhiteJC

Spurs U-18s v Fulham U-18s, 04.11.17

Courtesy of:- Ray Lo, and the Spurs List
[e-mail Ray Lo]

Premier League U-18 Cup, 2017-18, Group E
         Hotspur Way, Whitewebbs Lane, Enfield
           Saturday 4th November 2017, 11am

SPURS      v     FULHAM
          (White/Blue)       (All Black)
             4-1-4-1           4-2-3-1

1(0)              2(1)

Jonathan De Bie(C) 1  Luca Ashby-Hammond
        Maximus Tainio   2  Joseph Felix
           Tariq Hinds   3  Djed Spence
          Jamie Bowden   4  Reece York
       Jubril Okendina   5  Zico Asare
Brooklyn Lyons-Foster   6  Jose Garrido
     Phoenix Patterson   7  Chris Kelly
         Paris Maghoma   8  Ryan De Haviland
        Rodel Richards   9  Timmy Abraham
        Jamie Reynolds  10  Sonny Hilton
         Reo Griffiths  11  Showkat Tahir

Maurizio Pochettino  12  Elias Frei
             (7)79Mins
       Charlie Freeman  13  George Wickens
       Maxwell Statham  14  Nicholas Santos-Clase
                            (9)59Mins
       Jeremie Mukendi  15  Scott Armsworth
             (2)73Mins
          Rayan Clarke  16  Jasper Sylvester
             (4)56Mins

Scorers:-
             Clarke 58       Hilton 4
                             Santos-Clase 65(pen)

Booked:–
  Lyons-Foster 64(Foul)

Coach:-
           Scott Parker      Steve Wigley

Referee:-Andreas Anastasiou
Assistants:- Adam Steele & Gary Connell

It was a chilly morning with light rain for the second group match in the U-18 League Cup with Fulham the visitors. Fulham were the last team Spurs played in the League and they left with the points beating Spurs 2-1. Both teams won their first matches in the group. Spurs beat Leicester City 2-1 while Fulham hit four past Aston Villa.

Spurs lined up with De Bie in goal behind Okendina and Lyons-Foster with Tainio making his first start at right back and Hinds on the left. Bowden anchored the midfield with Reynolds and Maghoma ahead of him flanked by Patterson on the right and Griffiths on the left in support of Richards up front.

Spurs kicked off attacking the North end but took time to settle due to the changes to the team. Fulham on the other hand were soon pressing Spurs, playing with pace and a fair amount of aggression. Fulham took an early lead when De Bie came out quickly to meet Abraham, who blocked his attempted clearance, which fell kindly for Hilton to fire home. Griffiths had a chance that he hit wide before De Bie saved Asare's header from a corner. York headed another corner over as Fulham pushed their big players into the box . Abraham fired wide before Hilton hit over from another corner. Spurs began to get into the game with a Patterson free kick fired over but the half ended with De Bie saving from Tahir.

There were no changes for the start of the second half which saw Spurs start well with Reynolds winning a corner. Spence headed over from a corner before Griffiths, now leading the line, drew a save from Ashby-Hammond. Patterson had a curling effort cleared off the line at the far post before Spurs made their first change. Clarke came on for Bowden to work on the right side of midfield. Reynolds dropped deep and Patterson took his place in the centre.

Clarke made an instant impact when he headed in Reynolds deep cross at the far post to bring the sides level. From a free kick Kelly drew a save from De Bie with the follow up by Spence wide. Clarke crossed for Richards to head wide before Fulham won a penalty. Tahir got into the area on the left and Lyons-Foster fouled him to give away the penalty for which he was booked. Christmas came early for the cottagers as Santos-Clase sent De Bie the wrong way to score.

The visitors now regained their composure and it became an end to end game with both sides looking for a goal. Spence headed wide at the far post from a corner and Richards fired wide at the other end before Tahir got down the left before forcing a good save from De Bie. Spurs took off Tainio for Mukendi in the hunt for a second goal which almost cost them as Tahir was unmarked on the left when play continued but drove wide. Pochettino was Spurs last change coming on for Patterson but was unable to make an impression with York having the last chance of the game firing over.

The game went the same way as the league encounter with Fulham taking an early lead before Spurs equalised and then conceding a penalty for the winner. Fulham made fewer changes to their team than Spurs which showed in the quality of the play. Fulham could have been well clear at the break they were so much on top. Villa lost to Leicester in the other group game and will come to Hotspur Way without a point for the last game in the group. A win for Spurs would give them a chance of getting through to the next round as one of two runners-up.

Ray

http://www.spursodyssey.com/1718/u18fu041117.html

Cottage Industry

Firstly I would put my trust in Slavisa. The comments aired in your first column I totally agree with.However I am concerned that Craig Kline was given so much licence and has apparently caused havoc resulting in many leaving the club. The affect this has had on relationships, especially the Head Coach, must have filtered through to the playing staff, and players, and I feel that this is largely the result of the dismal performances we have seen. It is madness to rely on statistics alone. Yes they have a role but not to the extent that the Head Coaches suggestions are completely ignored, at least this appears to be the case. Finance must be a factor and if a suggestion is considered to be beyond the clubs means then that should be discussed in a responsible manner, and I am sure Slavisa would see that. Now that Mr Kline has departed, there is an awful amount of restructuring required and I would respectively suggest that the Chairman himself conducts a full enquiry into the unhappy events that have occurred over the past two years.

Burt

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 06, 2017, 08:00:41 AM
Kline's suggestion, I'm reliably informed, was to propose that he dressed up as a sumo wrestler and burst into one of Jokanovic's press conferences to challenge him to a fight. At which point, the manager would rip off his clothes to show that he, too, was dressed sumo-style. They would grapple for a few minutes in front of the journalists and, according to the logic, this little sketch would go viral and demonstrate they did actually get on. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Jokanovic turned the idea down.

If ever you needed something to bring to life the meaning of "WTF" to someone, then surely this is it...

jarv

So, we have seen off the sumo wrestler and the cheese man for injuries. Hopefully we have seen the last of the inmates running the asylum.

HamsterWheel

It's a pity that fight didn't happen, as I rather suspect that Joka would have gone Full Serbian on him.

Bill2

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 06, 2017, 07:58:08 AM

Is Fulham battling QPR for Saman Ghoddos a response to Rui Fonte's struggles?

Saman Ghoddos has been in prolific form for Ostersunds this season - which is more than can be said for Rui Fonte at Fulham.

Fulham might have been left bloodied and bruised in the play-off semi-finals last season but at least they could take solace in knowing they were top of the class when it came to entertainment.

No one scored more than Fulham's 72 Championship goals last season, level with Norwich City and champions Newcastle United. With Tom Cairney pulling the strings, Ryan Sessegnon raiding from the left, Sone Aluko scheming and Chris Martin scoring, The Cottagers were a better defence away from fighting for automatic promotion.

In the first two months of 2017/18, however, it's fair to say the Fulham side that exhilarated the masses last season was nowhere to be seen. So far, The Cottagers have hit the net just 18 times in 15 league fixtures and sit in mid-table, closer to the relegation zone than the top - and summer signing Rui Fonte has been a huge disappointment.

The 6ft 1ins striker arrived at Craven Cottage to replace Chris Martin following his return to Derby County. So far, however, Fonte has scored just once in ten Championship games from a centre forward position.

And the fact that Fulham sent scouts to watch Ostersunds forward Saman Ghoddos in action during the Europa League clash with Athletic Bilbao on Thursday night rather reflects just how poor Fulham, and Fonte in particular, have been in front of goal this season.

HITC sources tell us that Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is desperate to improve his attacking options and wants to challenge long-time suitors Queens Park Rangers for Ghoddos.

Considering that the Iran international has posted 19 goals in 36 games for Ostersunds in 2017, you can see why both Fulham and QPR are interested. And The Cottagers sudden interest in a player who would cost around £4.6 million, according to Ostersunds' director in Aftenbladet, is certainly daunting news for Fonte.

After all, the arrival of Ghoddos would surely put his place under threat.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/11/03/is-fulham-battling-qpr-for-saman-ghoddos-a-response-to-rui-fonte/
Read this article several times as the writer has said that Rui Fonte is 6' 1", but is about 5'9" and looks even shorter.

HatterDon

Quote from: Burt on November 06, 2017, 02:10:50 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on November 06, 2017, 08:00:41 AM

If ever you needed something to bring to life the meaning of "WTF" to someone, then surely this is it...

do you mean :tom:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel