Konchesky: How Fulham Beat Utd

Started by White Noise, September 18, 2010, 01:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/konchesky-how-fulham-beat-utd

Konchesky: How Fulham beat Utd

18th Sep 2010 - Latest News

15 Comments 

Paul Konchesky believes Liverpool can claim a memorable victory at Old Trafford on Sunday - by copying tactics employed by Fulham last season.

The defender starred as his old club thumped Sir Alex Ferguson's men 3-0 during last season's festive period.

And he believes Roy Hodgson will attempt to use the same game-plan this weekend.

Konchesky told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It was down to the team structure the manager had at the time, and he's trying to bring that here.

"The work ethic between the team and the players was key. We all knew what we needed to do and we stuck to our jobs.

"We need to start well with it being at Old Trafford. We need to silence the fans. We'll try to pinch an early goal, then our fans will be on top and we'll take it from there."

Despite featuring in the top flight with Charlton, Tottenham, West Ham and Fulham, Konchesky has never played in a league game quite like this north-west derby.

But he claims there won't be any butterflies beforehand.

"I don't get nervous," he said. "I take every game as it comes. I know this is going to be a tough game, it's been spoken about a lot this week and I want to see what it's all about.

"It's going to be a great game. It's obviously a massive game for Liverpool and I'm looking forward to being part of it. These are the kind of games that you watch when you are not a player here. Now I'm looking forward to playing in a big rivalry game.

"No disrespect to Fulham but you don't get to play in massive games like this every week."

Click the image below to watch our interview with Konchesky

Konchesky would normally expect to be up against Antonio Valencia until the winger broke his leg in a Champions League draw with Glasgow Rangers on Tuesday night.

The 29-year-old believes United will feel his absence.

"Especially at home it's a big loss for them because it's a big pitch," said Konchesky. "He's a strong lad and he's quick, but they've got other players who can play there.

"That's why they are there or thereabouts every year. People can come straight into the team. It could be Nani or they could play Fletcher there."

Konchesky's opposite number on Sunday lunchtime will be Patrice Evra, a left-back he admires.

"I rate him really highly," said our new boy. "He's one of the best left-backs in the Premier League and he settled in really quickly at Manchester United. He's one of their most consistent players and is probably one of the first names on the teamsheet."

Terry Tibbs

Yeah, thanks Paul.

But it did help that Carrick was centre half that day.

Not taking anything away from us, but come on Konch!