watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (15/12/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 15, 2017, 06:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham legend has nothing but praise for Sunderland's Chris Coleman ahead of Saturday's clash
Former Fulham defender Tony Gale has been previewing Saturday's game with warm words for Sunderland managerial duo Chris Coleman and Kit Symons.

Ex-Fulham defender Tony Gale has been previewing Saturday's clash between his former club and Sunderland, with high praise for the Black Cats' new managerial duo.

The sometime Sky pundit says he can see the appeal of taking on the challenge of restoring Sunderland's faded glory and that the lift Coleman's appointment has had on Wearside spirits does not surprise him.

The Black Cats boss and his number two, Kit Symons, have history with this weekend's visitors to the Stadium of Light of course. Both men played for the Cottagers in the late 90s and early 00s and the pair have both had stints as manager at Craven Cottage.

Writing for Fulham's official website, Gale - who turned out over 270 times for the Whites himself - reckons Coleman has a huge job on his hands though:

We've got some familar faces up next now that Chris Coleman and Kit Symons are at Sunderland. I know Chris well, and I really like both him and Kit.

I was slightly surprised to see them go there as I thought they may end up at a Premier League side, but Sunderland is a massive club so I can see the attraction.

Nevertheless, Chris has got a big undertaking in turning their fortunes around. He's already got a couple of results under his belt and has got them back in touching distance, but they really need to kick on.

Tony Gale played against Sunderland on ten occasions during his playing days, a career which saw him make a big money move to West Ham in 1984 and go on to turn out 300 times for the Hammers

The centre-half's last appearance on Wearside was a notable game in 1993 in front of 19,000 at Roker Park. The match was the first West Ham fixture following the sad death of Bobby Moore days earlier. Hammers fans laid wreaths on the pitch that day with commentary from the '66 World Cup playing over the Sunderland tannoys before an impeccable minutes' silence.

The 58-year-old reckons Coleman will keep Sunderland up and build from there:

It doesn't really surprise me that Chris has had an impact already, because he's always been a good man manager. We saw at Fulham how good he was at motivating his players. His challenge now is to keep Sunderland going for the rest of the season to ensure they don't suffer consecutive relegations. That would be a disaster for them, and my gut feeling is that they will stay up. Cookie and Kit are good men and I expect them to do a good job.

However, like so many who have previewed trips to the Stadium of Light in the past year, Gale reckons Slavisa Jokanovic's men can capitalise on the mood which persists at a venue which will have seen no home win in a year without a Sunderland victory on Saturday:

Whatever you do, you don't want to be the ones they [Sunderland] get the first win against. But it is a dangerous game because they have got players who can hurt you, so we've got to be on our guard. It's not the Stadium of Light that it was, nowhere the intimidating place it used to be. It's the perfect example of a game where if we start well their fans could get on the player's backs.

Heard it all before. Surely Saturday will be the game which sees us get this monkey off our backs... won't it?

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/12/14/16773490/fulham-legend-has-nothing-but-praise-for-sunderlands-chris-coleman-ahead-of-saturdays-clash

WhiteJC

Officials - Sunderland v Fulham (16/12/17)

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game between Sunderland and Fulham this Saturday.

Sunderland host Fulahm on Saturday December 16 for the game at the Stadium of Light and the match carries a 3pm kick off.

Referee: Stephen Martin
Assistant Refs: Nick Hopton and Akil Howson
Fourth Official: Scott Oldham

Match Day referee Martin has officiated 20 games in 2017/18, showing 41 yellow cards and two red cards so far.

He took in 35 games in 2016/17, showing 78 yellow cards and three red cards.

His highest card count that year was seven yellows and one red in the game between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Birmingham City.

He took in 38 matches in 2015/16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he handed out a total of 83 yellow cards and five red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Peterborough United and Bury on September 29 with a total of five yellows being shown and one red. He also showed six yellows during the game between Plymouth and Portsmouth back in August.

Martin's father and grandfather were both EFL officials and encouraged him to take up the whistle in 2002. His rapid rise saw him appointed to the EFL assistant referee list in 2008 and to the National League referee list in the same year. After four years he became an EFL referee, and has since taken charge of more than 150 games.

Source - EFL.

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of the players edge closer to automatic bans.

Read more: http://www.sunderland.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=514999#ixzz51JEd41z4

WhiteJC

U18s Travel To Huddersfield

Colin Omogbehin's Under-18s travel to the John Smith Stadium on Friday to take on Huddersfield Town in the third round of the FA Youth Cup.

This is the first stage for both teams. The Young Whites are already through to the knock out rounds in the Premier League Cup, and hope to progress to the FA Youth Cup fourth round.

The Young Whites are are fifth in the Premier League South, and are undefeated in their last six matches. However, Fulham are looking to get back to winning ways after drawing their last four consecutive matches in all competitions.

The Young Terriers are second only on goal difference to Bolton Wanderers in the Professional Development League 2 North Division, with three points separating the top four.

Huddersfield have won their last two games, with one defeat in their last five outings.

Tickets will be available on the gate for any fans that wish to come and support the Young Whites, with tickets priced at £4 for adults and £2 for concessions.

This is not the first time these two youth sides have come up against each other. In the memorable 2013/14 campaign where Fulham reached the final, the Young Whites overcame the Young Terriers at Craven Cottage 2-1 in the sixth round to progress.

Unlike the senior competition, there are no replays for FA Youth Cup fixtures, and therefore if the match is level after extra time the fixture will be decided by penalties.

You can follow live updates of the match from the Club's official twitter account, @FulhamFC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/december/14/u18s-travel-to-huddersfield

WhiteJC

SAFC vs Fulham Who are You?: 'our possession football can be devastating'

Monsieur Salut writes: I had a dream; Sunderland beat Fulham 2-0 before my eyes to end the home hoodoo. A likely outcome? Russ Goldman*, a USA-based Fulham fan who hosts the Cottage Talk podcast (as well as a New England Patriots podcast, disagrees as you would expect. He is not too downbeat about his club's failure to live up to expectations so far and believes they will end up in the top six. He also expects them to beat us on Saturday ...

Salut! Sunderland: if our season has been a disaster so far, you must be bitterly disappointed at Fulham's failure to mount the expected prompotion challenge. What are the issues?

Russell Goldman: for me a decent amount of it is injury related as Fulham are built around Tom Cairney. He was injured in the pre-season with a knee injury and still working back to full fitness. I think his loss combined with how teams now know how we like to play has slowed us down, but not as much as you might think.

We are only three points behind our pace from last season and once we get some players back to full fitness, I expect the results to pick up just like they did last season.

Is Slaviša Jokanovi? still the manager to get you back up and is he backed by the fans and the owner Shahid Khan?

Jokanovic I feel is the man to bring Fulham back up to the EPL as all you have to look at is the team from last season to see why I feel that way. However, opinion is split on Jokanovic as he only goes with a "Plan A," and really won't try a "Plan B" so that has left some fans split on him. Khan has backed Jokanovic I feel, but the recruitment system that relies on scouting and stats has been controversial.

There seems a good mix of youth an experience in your squad, with useful looking on-loan players. Who has shone and who han't really been doing the business?

I think the additions of Oliver Norwood and Sheyi Ojo both on loan have been assets this season. On the flip side, strikers Rui Fonte and Aboubakar Kamara are just not scoring the goals Fulham need from them. They both work hard, but we need goals from them so they both have been disappointments.

What about us? Surprised at how bad we've been or did you see it all coming?

Unfortunately, I saw this coming because of what happened to Fulham when they got relegated. Both clubs were not prepared for the Championship, and it has shown itself to be true. There are exceptions to the rule like Newcastle United last season, but I feel you need players that can fit into the Championship, and also have a mix of players that come from the Championship. Unfortunately, Sunderland are learning about surviving this Division, but if you can do that this season, it can give you the opportunity to rebuild for the future.

Hand on heart, where will our clubs finish?

I still believe Fulham will finish in the top six as we are now winning matches ugly which is needed for this division. I expect a good second half of the season for Fulham. I believe Sunderland will stay in the Division and end around 17th. You have two coaches now that will keepy you in this Division I feel.

Tell us your highlights as a Fulham supporter

It would have to getting to the Europa League Final and beating Hamburg to get there. That was a night I will never forget.

And the low points?

It has to be getting relegated and the two seasons after that. It was tough going down, but it was just as tough surviving the Championship.

The best players you've seen in Fulham colours?

Danny Murphy is my favorite player and there is no one who is a close second.

And the worst?

For a player who started I would say Jazz Richards as he was poor for Fulham and was glad to see him go.

Let's assume you made the playoffs and went up. Is the ground, lovely as it is, big enough or capable of expansion? Either way, what would it take to survive let alone prosper?

Fulham are in the planning stages to redevelop the Riverside Stand to expand the overall capacity from 25K to 30K. This expansion is to help us compete better in the Premier League.

We play a possession style football right now that when it works can be devastating, so I think hands down this style can work in the Premier League when Fulham get there. For Fulham, once they get to the EPL, it is about finding the players at a higher level that can play Jokanovic's style.

Does Grabban or anyone else in our squad interest you?

I am not against Grabban, but I really want Dwight Gayle as he is the perfect fit for Fulham. However, I don't see that happening as he is playing a decent amount now with Newcastle. We need a goal scorer so I am open to finding that player wherever they can find him.

Lots of shared links – Lee Clark, Kevin Ball, Steed, Melville and of course Chris Coleman. Who stands out?

All of these players are before my time so I can't really give you a proper answer on this one. I became a supporter in 2007.

Any other thoughts on Sunderland – the club, the fans, the city? It is a team with a rich tradition that will return to the EPL someday. It is just time to rebuild and when you do return to have a team that can be closer to the top ten than the relegations positions.

The Niasse question: are the authorities at last taking diving seriously and will getting tough work?

I am completely against diving so I want it out of the sport completely. I don't like it at all when Fulham players have dived in the past.

Will you be at our game? What will be the score? I will not be at the game, but I am predicting a tough 2-1 Fulham victory.

* Russ Goldman on himself: I have been a Fulham supporter for 10 years now, and I host Cottage Talk which is a podcast about Fulham and this is our sixth season.

Interview: Colin Randall

http://salutsunderland.com/2017/12/safc-vs-fulham-who-are-you-our-possession-football-can-be-devastating/

WhiteJC

U18s at Everton In Quarter-Finals

Fulham's Under-18s have drawn Everton away in the quarter-finals of the Premier League Cup. The match will be played out on the 27th January 11am at Finch Farm Training Ground. 

To get to this stage the Young Whites beat Aston Villa at Motspur Park, Tottenham Hotspur away, and drew to Leicester City to secure top spot of the group table to progress.

Everton also finished top of their group with two wins and a loss.

The Toffees navigated their way past West Bromwich Albion and Swansea City at home, before losing their last Premier League Cup game away to Swansea City.

This year Everton are competing in the Premier League North, and are third behind Manchester United and Manchester City, but with a game in hand could go top of the league table.

Last year these two sides met in the Premier League South at Goodison Park and the Young Whites ran out 3-0 winners at the famous ground.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/december/14/u18s-at-everton-in-quarter-finals

WhiteJC

Chris Coleman considering changes to Sunderland XI ahead of Fulham visit

Chris Coleman says he may well change his starting XI despite the excellent performance at Molineux last weekend.

A red card shown to Lee Cattermole in that 0-0 draw means one change will be enforced but the Sunderland boss has suggested that he could go further. In the immediate aftermath of that contest Coleman insisted Aiden McGeady would be in contention for a place when Fulham visit the Stadium of Light on Saturday and he has repeated that message. He told safc.com: "Last Saturday and this Saturday are two different games, two different teams. "We may need different personnel, we might go with the same. "It could change, even if you play well it could change because it is needs must, horses for courses. "That's the whole point of having a squad, having a harmony and understanding that the bigger picture is the club and the team progressing, performing, getting results. "To do that we will need to use everybody." Coleman's options remain limited due to injury and suspension, but Paddy McNair is set to return to the matchday squad. Callum McManaman is also available for selection after serving a one match ban, while promising youngster Josh Maja stepped up his comeback by completing 89 minutes for the U23s against Liverpool last Sunday afternoon.

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/chris-coleman-considering-changes-to-sunderland-xi-ahead-of-fulham-visit-1-8908673

WhiteJC

Fulham's Stefan Johansen signs agreement for equal pay between Norway's men and women captains

The Norway captain signed the agreement alongside Maren Mjelde at the Norwegian Embassy in London on Wednesday

Stefan Johansen has signed a historical agreement that will see the captains of the men's and women's Norwegian international side be paid equally.

The Fulham midfielder is the captain of his national side and signed the agreement alongside Maren Mjelde, who is the skipper of the women's Norway side.

The agreement is a reality after the Norwegian Football Federation increased the salary for the women's team by NOK 2.5 million in 2018, while the national team has decided to release 550,000 dollars from its market earnings to the women's team.

This means that the women's and men's national team will receive NOK 6 million each in 2018.

"The girls are as important as us," said Johansen.

"I think it's very good that the women's national team get the same salary as us to play on the national team.

"Compared to the women's national team, the national team is very privileged from before. It was not difficult to say yes to give away some of the commercial bonus, as this was taken by both NISO and NFF."

Equal pay: Stefan Johansen and Maren Mjelde (Image: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-stefan-johansen-signs-agreement-14037370

WhiteJC

What are the odds?:
Dafabet's Fulham betting preview

Club principal partners Dafabet are offering some great odds on Saturday's home match against Fulham.

Chris Coleman faces his former club at the Stadium of Light this weekend (Saturday 16 December, KO 3pm), as the lads look to build on last weekend's point and clean sheet against the league-leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Lewis Grabban to score the first goal has been boosted by Dafabet to 13/2 (was 5/1), with George Honeyman to score anytime NOW 13/3 (was 4/1).

Sunderland to win and both teams to score is on offer at 5/1 (was 4/1), while the Black Cats' to win half-time/full-time is now 17/4 (was 7/2).

The link is as follows: 888df.com/safcpriceboost

*Odd are subject to fluctuation

https://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2017/december/dafabet-betting-odds-pre-fulham

WhiteJC

Revealed! The 3 Fulham wide boys who are biggest danger to Sunderland

Ryan Sessegnon and Sheyi Ojo

Sunderland may require a dose of Dutch courage if they are to stop Fulham's wide boys in their tracks tomorrow. For anything but a win against Neeskens Kebano and Co for Chris Coleman against his old club will see the Black Cats go a full calendar year without a home win. But who are the Fulham dangermen Sunderland need to watch out for in order to secure a crucial first victory at the Stadium of Light since beating Watford on December 17, 2016? If Coleman's men are to avoid a seriously unwanted record, they may have to wing it...

1 Neeskens Kebano
Sunderland will hope a name is all that Kebano shares with legendary Netherlands midfielder Johan Neeskens. While three goals is all it has taken the Congolese winger to be Fulham's joint-second top Championship scorer this season, one of those strikes and an assist have come in his last two games as he bids to become consistent enough to graduate from a peripheral figure to one of Slavisa Jokanovic's main men.

2 Ryan Sessegnon
A name familiar to Black Cats fans, Stephane Sessegnon's namesake Ryan plies his trade mainly at left-back but shares no relation to the tricky Benin midfielder who impressed on Wearside. What the 17-year-old attack-minded left-back does possess is the ability to influence play in the final third – as he showed in a more advanced position with a hat-trick in Fulham's 5-4 win at Sheffield United. Should Jokanovic opt to play an attacking style at the Stadium of Light, a patched-up Sunderland defence will hope that Sessegnon's mind is focused on talk of a January move to Manchester United.

3 Sheyi Ojo
Another winger – but this one's a World Cup winner. Having conquered the globe with England's Under-20s this summer, Ojo has recently regained that momentum during his loan spell at Fulham from Liverpool, having been linked with Newcastle in the summer. Any frustration at seeing his Anfield career stall somewhat since he announced his first-team arrival with an FA Cup goal against Exeter in January 2016 has been relieved by a recent resurgence which has seen Ojo score three goals in his last four games. His pace could cause problems for a defence not blessed with speed.

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/revealed-the-3-fulham-wide-boys-who-are-biggest-danger-to-sunderland-1-8910347

WhiteJC

Fulham injury news ahead of trip to Sunderland

Fulham will be without Floyd Ayite and Neeskens Kebano for the trip to Sunderland, while it is also too soon for Lucas Piazon to feature.

Ayite and Kebano are suffering with hamstring injuries, while the Chelsea loanee has just returned to first team training after breaking his leg.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

And although they won't be available for Saturday, Slavisa Jokanovic expects the three players to start training fully with the side imminently.

He said: "At the moment we are without Floyd and Kebano- they are not ready for the Sunderland game.

"Great news for us is that Lucas Piazon has started working with the team. This is the best news for us this week.

"​It's been positive, but we are a little bit careful with him and don't want to push him. He looked comfortable with and without the ball, and he is satisfied with his progress.

"I believe Lucas will be ready to join in with 100 per cent of the training next week, and Kebano too. We expect he is going to be available soon, like Floyd too.

"Now it is a question of a few days, and all these three players can be entirely available for the few games at the end of this year."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-injury-news-ahead-trip-14039142

WhiteJC

Fulham must focus on 'super competitive' Sunderland, says Jokanovic
by Dan on December 14, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic has called on his Fulham side to remain fully focused on what he described as a 'super competitive' Sunderland side as the Whites prepare for a Stadium of Light reunion with former managers Chris Coleman and Kit Symons on Saturday.

The Serbian head coach believes his players will travel to the north east in confident mood after three wins from their last four games, but has urged Fulham to pay scant attention to the current Championship table with the Black Cats scrapping for their lives just months after being relegated from the Premier League. Jokanovic feels Coleman, who saw his side battle for a point at Wolves despite being reduced to ten men, will galvanise a side who are on the cusp of going an entire calendar year without a home win.

The Fulham boss told his Motspur Park press conference this afternoon:

Sunderland desperately need the points. I expect that they'll be super competitive because of their situation. This will be a tough game. Chris Coleman is a fantastic manager and I hear he is a great man too. They have a new coach and I expect them to show some kind of improvement.

We must only think about Sunderland, but we also have to be ready for a busy Christmas period ahead. We need a focused squad.

Jokanovic spoke of his delight that Lucas Piazon, who has been sidelined since August after breaking his leg at Leeds, has return to first-team training ahead of schedule. The Fulham head coach is keen not to rush the Brazilian back from a serious injury too soon and, despite encouraging signs, will not consider him for selection this weekend.

It is great that Lucas Piazon has started working with the team. This is the best news for us this week. It's been positive. Lucas is very satisfied with his progress but we are a little bit careful with him and don't want to push him. He looked comfortable with and without the ball, and he is satisfied with his progress.

Jokanovic will be without Neeskens Kebano, who limped off at the end of the first half against Birmingham having made the only goal for Sheyi Ojo, and Floyd Ayite this weekend but believes the duo and Piazon have a chance to feature later in Fulham's festive programme.

I believe Lucas will be ready to join in with 100 per cent of the training next week, and Kebano too. We expect he is going to be available soon, like Floyd too. Now it is a question of a few days, and all these three players can be entirely available for the few games at the end of this year.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/12/fulham-must-focus-on-super-competitive-sunderland-says-jokanovic/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss delivers focused message ahead of this weekend's clash with Sunderland

Slavisa Jokanovic has taken to his personal Twitter account to share a message ahead of Fulham's clash with Sunderland in the Sky Bet Championship this weekend.

Fulham visit the Stadium of Light on Saturday afternoon, when they are looking to pile more misery on relegation threatened Sunderland, whilst also continuing their own fine form.

Jokanovic has taken to Twitter to share a picture of himself at his computer desk following Fulham's training session today, accompanying a caption insisting that there is plenty of off-field work to be done ahead of Saturday's trip to the Stadium of Light.

Fulham enter Saturday's contest on the back of an impressive run of form, which has seen them pick up three victories in their last four fixtures, including the scalp of Sheffield United.

The Cottagers endured a tricky start to the campaign, but recently Jokanovic's side have started looking more like the side that stormed towards the play-offs last season, moving up to 12th in the table following their recent good run.

Fulham have 29 points, leaving them eight adrift of the top-six heading into this weekend.

The Verdict

Whilst Jokanovic's message is one you would expect to see ahead of a round of Championship fixtures, it is encouraging for Fulham's supporters.

Jokanovic's side are not where many expected them to be this season, but Fulham are clearly improving, which will be down to the work the Cottagers are doing on the training field.

Fulham will fancy their chance of picking up three points this weekend against a struggling Sunderland.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-boss-delivers-focused-message-ahead-of-this-weekends-clash-with-sunderland/

WhiteJC

The boss:
"We need to overcome our own obstacles at home"

Chris Coleman has tasked his players with overcoming 'their demons' on Saturday as they look to end their home hoodoo.

Sunderland welcome Coleman's former club Fulham to Wearside this weekend, with their focus firmly fixed on securing their first home win in 2017.

A point at Sky Bet Championship leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers last Saturday, has paved the way for optimism going into a home double header before Christmas.

And speaking to safc.com, the Welshman has admitted it is up to the players can change their fortunes at home.

"The situation for us is that it is a home game," he said.

"The history we have got of not winning at home for so long - it is not about the opposition it is about ourselves.

"We have got to exercise our demons there, we need to overcome our own obstacles to make sure we change our fortune at the Stadium of Light.

"I know Fulham very well, I spent 10 years there as a player and manager but that won't come into my thinking.

"All that will be there is thinking, 'how do we get what we need on Saturday on the back of what I felt was a courageous performance at Wolverhampton?'

"The guys were fabulous on the day, they stuck to their guns, stuck to the job and helped each other out – I was delighted with that."

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/december/coleman-on-fulham-encounter

WhiteJC

How do bookies rate Sunderland's chances of first home win in a year when Fulham come to town?

Sunderland's betting odds for this weekend's meeting with Fulham suggests a tough task ahead for Chris Coleman's team as they look to prevent themselves from going a full 12 months without a home win.

Any notion of a home advantage has long been lost at the Stadium of Light which might explain why Sunderland are the outsiders to win the game with 188BET making the Black Cats 19/10 for the three points with Fulham considered favourites at 13/10. The draw is 5/2. Chris Coleman will have picked up on the fact Fulham have been particularly porous on their recent travels, conceding two or more goals in each of their last four away matches so could well crack if Sunderland have a go. With the London team also scoring in all but two of their ten away games and Sunderland yet to keep a clean sheet at home there could well be plenty of goals in this one. Both teams to score in the game is 5/7 with 188BET whilst more than 2.5 goals in the game is 5/6. Should Sunderland find a way the home win with both teams scoring is 23/5. The home win with more than 2.5 goals in the game is 19/5. All of these trends being taken into consideration would bring the 2-1 and 3-2 correct scores into play which are available at 19/2 and 30/1, respectively. But of course, a victory by any means would do even the 1-0 at 17/2 would be celebrated like a cup final win if the 12 month curse is lifted.

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/how-do-bookies-rate-sunderland-s-chances-of-first-home-win-in-a-year-when-fulham-come-to-town-1-8910248

WhiteJC

Sunderland vs Fulham - injury blow for visitors ahead of Stadium of Light clash

Fulham will head to Sunderland this weekend without three players as the Black Cats look to end unwanted record

Sunderland will take on a Fulham side shorn of the talents of Neeskens Kebano, Floyd Ayite and Lucas Piazon on Saturday.

Cottagers manager Slavisa Jokanovic confirmed that all three won't make the game at the Stadium of Light, in which the Black Cats will look to bring their almost year-long run without a home win to an end.

Chelsea loanee Piazon is back in training, but will not be ready for the Sunderland game, while forward Ayite, who has scored just once in 13 appearances this season, is still ruled out.

Midfielder Kebano also misses out, the Congolese midfielder having notched three times already this season.

However, in-demand stars Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon are expected to feature for the visitors this weekend.

"At the moment we are without Floyd and Kebano - they are not ready for the Sunderland game," Jokanovic said.

"Great news for us is that Lucas Piazon has started working with the team. This is the best news for us this week.

"​It's been positive, but we are a little bit careful with him and don't want to push him. He looked comfortable with and without the ball, and he is satisfied with his progress.

"I believe Lucas will be ready to join in with 100 per cent of the training next week, and Kebano too. We expect he is going to be available soon, like Floyd too.

"Now it is a question of a few days, and all these three players can be entirely available for the few games at the end of this year."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-vs-fulham-injury-blow-14040187

WhiteJC

Joka's Puzzle
Joka's Puzzle by Kent Cassandra

A nice little poem written by a member from Friends of Fulham about Slavisa Jokanovic. Have a read here, our over at the Forum

"Joka's puzzle is a promise for a group of fit boys
To play attacking football with skill and poise.
In the premiership this would not be a prob,
But in the Championship, one has to play against yobs.
Even Messi would struggle in this league,
Soon succumbing to battle fatigue.
Smart fouling, cheating and up for a brawl,
Bombarding defences with the long ball.
It's the toughest league in the world
Refereed by black shadows from the underworld.
It's a league that most good players try to avoid,
As the skilful ones soon get destroyed.
Teams can't take out loans as businesses do
They are fined if too many debts accrue.
So, what is the solution to Joka's conundrum,
It seems an almost impossible task to overcome."

"Sometimes teams just click, like in Leicester's year,
They were not considered good enough for the Premier.
Most Fofers say they want Joka to stay
So, we must back him to do it in his own way
From the current squad which players should he choose,
When playing against teams that 'Mustn't lose'?
Should he go positive to win every game?
Knowing if he loses he will get the blame.
To play joka's way, needs a lot of support,
Cos players are human and sometimes fall short.
A factor of fail can be the rub of the green,
Injuries happen and refs can be mean.
Players lose form, trying too hard to please.
Teams can rise or fall on such things as these.
He's trying his best to stick to his plan,
One should wait until May to judge him, if you can."

"So, what can Fulham Fans do to help with his quest.
Give him encouragement, give bad mouthing a rest.
Dim all the 'Gaslighters' who have lately appeared,
For if he's successful he will be revered.
He needs time and support from us and the bosses,
No one ever made it without some losses.
Blame is far far away from support,
Without evidence it is just like a kangaroo court.
Keep blame at bay cos if there's too much distaste,
We will all be tainted by the toxic waste."

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=85

WhiteJC

Sunderland Thoughts
by Lydia on December 15, 2017

It seems as though every game Fulham play these days is branded as 'must win'. Our inconsistent form this season has left us with a lot of ground to make up if we stand any chance of finishing in the coveted play-off places for the second year in a row. From now on, every goal and every point is crucial.

Last season, festive football proved to be a bit of a turning point in our season, with 11 points gained out of a possible 15 in December, including a 5-0 thumping of Reading, leaving us just outside the play-offs. If we are to stage a fight for the top-6 this year, then we will need a similar or better points gain this time around so that we go into the New Year within reach. So far this month we have had another very mixed bag of results with a humiliating 3-1 defeat at the hands of neighbours Brentford followed up with a slim victory over Championship strugglers Birmingham.  If we are to make up ground, and quickly, then we probably need at least 9 points from our remaining four games in 2017. But with away trips to Sunderland, Hull and Cardiff alongside a home tie against Barnsley, those points certainly aren't going to come easily. However, if we are serious about the play-offs then it doesn't really matter who we play, we need to target maximum points regardless.

Tomorrow's opponents have been one of the disappointments of the Championship this season. Sunderland remind me a little bit of ourselves when we came down in 2014. Toothless in attack and fearful in defence, manger sackings and struggles in the transfer market have been an all too common sight if you are a Sunderland fan, and they are all the signs of a club in decline. We were fortunate not to go down during our first season in the Championship, and it seems as though Sunderland will need similar fortune if they are to avoid the dreaded double drop. They have acted reasonably fast with the sacking of Simon Grayson before bringing in one of the hottest properties in the management scene in Chris Coleman. Only time will tell if the trust in Coleman is worth it, but for now he has the job of steadying the ship, before the club can think about moving back up to the Premier League.

So far Coleman has guided Sunderland to 4 points out of a possible 12, but last weekend's 0-0 draw with high flying Wolves will be a big boost to everyone at the club. Only two other sides have managed to keep a clean sheet against Wolves this year so, defensively speaking, that was very impressive. They will be eying tomorrow's match as a chance to build on that and, in doing so, gain their first win at the Stadium of Light in a year. If they do win, it will also be Chris Coleman's first home win as Sunderland manager.

In my opinion, playing against a team fighting for their lives can sometimes be harder than playing a team at the top of the table. At the top of the table you can control games, and often be patient with your attacks, but when you are at the bottom, you know that every tackle is going to be robust, and every decision made is a frantic one. We will need to be at our very best if we are to take this game away from Sunderland, and we can't give them a way into the game. They don't have an awful lot of quality at the minute, but if the crowd sense that they are getting on top in the game, they will do all they can to help their team onto victory, so we just can't afford to let that happen.

Last time we played Sunderland at the Stadium of Light it was in the FA Cup 4th Round. We managed to gain a 0-0 draw, mainly thanks to the heroics of Marcus Bettinelli who made a number of saves to keep out Jermaine Defoe (maybe a good omen) but I also distinctly remember Hugo Rodallega missing a great chance right at the death which would have given us a slender victory. Neither team can really afford to continue to drop points so I'm expecting another nervy game. Coleman will be desperate to get the home win but hopefully we can heap more misery on our former player and manager. Surely he won't end Sunderland's horrible home form against his former club, will he? I think I'll be watching this one through my fingers.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/12/sunderland-thoughts/

WhiteJC

The first time ever I saw your team: Fulham

John McCormick writes: I can only remember one game against Fulham, and that was at Craven Cottage, where, like Pete Sixsmith, I enjoyed a walk through the park and a stand that overlooked the river.

Other than that, my mind is its usual blank. Was I at this match (indeed, any home games v Fulham between 1964 and 1974?) I really don't know, possibly because it was a totally forgettable game. No matter, Saturday's visit allows Pete and his prodigious memory to provide yet another trip to Roker, where some memorable players graced the sacred turf.

Roker Park on a damp Saturday in October 1964; we have no manager, the team being picked by a "selection committee" comprised of senior board members (who knew lots about running a laundry or a building company or a fish and chip empire but b****** all about football) and Arthur Wright, the first team trainer.

The start to our first season back where we thought we belonged had not been brilliant. We were sitting one place above the relegation places, had stopped scoring goals and had started the season with a 15 year old in goal. Three weeks prior to this, half of County Durham (as then was) had decamped to Blackpool to see the illuminations and to hope that Sunderland's season could begin to light up at Bloomfield Road. We lost 3-1. A week prior to this, we returned to Old Trafford, the scene of the first game in that epic FA Cup treble That had ended 3-3, after we led 3-1 with minutes left. Seven months later, we went down to a single goal scored by David Herd towards the end of the game. We weren't a bad side, we just seemed to lack any real direction – words that have been used many times since.

So, when Fulham pitched up at Roker on October 17th, a home win was required – just like it is 53 years later. They were in a similar position to us (we would finish 15th, they would end up 20th – remember, there were 22 clubs in the old First Division) and were beginning a period of decline after a solid spell as a top level side.

Hill and Trinder

They were managed by Bedford Jezzard ( sounds like the name a car company would use for a pick-up truck ) and were captained by Johnny Haynes, a former England captain and reputedly, the first £100 a week English footballer. The money came partly from the wealth of their chairman, the comedian Tommy Trinder. Trinder was the archetypal Cockney comic – loud, brash and much loved by the Royal Family, who have always had a tin ear when it comes to comedy. He was a huge star in variety, made a number of films ("The Foreman Went To France" was a decent one and was scripted by J.B. Priestly) and made the switch to television in the 50's. He was the first host of ATV's Sunday Night At The London Palladium, charming the viewers with his catchphrases "You lucky people" and "Trinder's the name, laughter is the game."

He had a lifelong love of Fulham, mentioned them whenever he could and made a middling West London club into a household name during the 17 years he was Chairman, watching them rise to the top division, slip back to the second and get to an FA Cup Final in 1975 with a team that contained two former England captains in Alan Mullery and Bobby Moore.

Whether he was at Roker that day, sharing quips with Syd Collings and chums in the Directors Box, is unknown. If he was, he sat through a miserable afternoon as neither side could manage a goal and I can remember absolutely nothing about the afternoon.

We lined up like this;

Sandy McLaughlan; Cec Irwin, Len Ashurst; Martin Harvey, Charlie Hurley, Dave Elliott; Tommy Mitchinson, George Herd, Nicky Sharkey, Johnnie Crossan, George Mulhall

Fulham's team was;

Tony Macedo; George Cohen, Jim Langley; Bobby Robson, Bobby Keetch, Stan Brown; Graham Leggat, Maurice Cook, Rodney Marsh, Johnny Haynes, Pat O'Connell.

There are some interesting figures in that team. Tony Macedo was a genuine exotic in the days when nearly all players were from the four home nations plus Eire. Macedo was from Gibraltar and was a spectacular keeper in an era when showy was seen as suspect. He thrilled the crowds, made mistakes and became a genuine Fulham legend.
George Cohen went on to play in the World Cup Final 20 months later and Jim Langley was an attacking full back before Terry Cooper and his ilk. Small, balding and quick, he starred for QPR in their League Cup win three years on – as did Rodney Marsh, recipient of the best song I ever heard at Roker Park.

Bobby Robson was welcomed back as a favourite son of the North East although a far inferior player to his opposite number on the Sunderland side, the imperious Martin Harvey, and he played alongside Bobby Keetch, whose Wikipedia page describes him as "quite a man about town." When Keetch died in 1996, Fulham were so skint that their pantomime villain Chairman, one Jimmy Hill, said that they could not afford to send a wreath. One did turn up.

This was the year that M Salut and I had our first season tickets. We chose the Main Stand Paddock and a 21 game pass cost the princely sum of 6 guineas – £ 6.6s.0d. for common folk like what we was – which equates to £6.30 now, which would get you a programme and a pie now.

I was in Year 3 at Bishop Auckland Grammar School, Colin may well have been on the road to junior paper clip executive in the offices of British Rail Shildon. The ticket was my Christmas present for 1964, although I am pretty sure that I would have got a copy of The Boys Book of Soccer (I did; I have just spied it on the bookshelf). I was also taken down to Doggarts and was allowed to choose a pair of side fastening shoes which were neither winkle pickers nor chisel toed. Like many in South West Durham, Doggarts Club provided most of the presents and a good proportion of school clothes for the rest of the year.

I have mixed feelings about The Cottagers. I quite like elements of them (lovely walk to the ground, interesting stand, great riverside location) but they can irritate (they have clappers, dreadful away support, too bloody nice) and I hope that the small number who arrive at the SoL on Saturday are sulking in their drinks on the Grand Central on the way home on Saturday night. I shall be ho, ho, going......

http://salutsunderland.com/2017/12/the-first-time-ever-i-saw-your-team-fulham/