News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is There Any Point In Buying A Striker in January?

Started by Mince n Tatties, December 17, 2017, 08:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

As our manager will surely find somewhere else for him on the park,like out on the wing or standing on our line talking to our keeper..His line ups are becoming more baffling by the week,I'm certain its affecting players performances.😟

Woolly Mammoth

A lot of the problems stems from the fact that he does not play to the players strengths, and that could inevitably cost him his job.
Although normally an owner of a club will sit down with his board and review and discus the clubs fortunes ON THE PITCH, this absent owner and Chairman hasnt a clue what should be discussed regarding the current first team and therefore stays within the sanctuary of his Yacht until any crisis blows away. 
So nothing dramatic will happen as it doesn't effect the Jaguars.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

No, there's no point signing a striker. A clear indicator of Slav not bending his system to his players is we have a kid who scored a hat-trick and he continues to play him at Left Back.

That logic cannot support any idea that he will adjust his system to his players. Collateral damage results in the likes of our current listed forwards and our teenage sensation.

I said it before, I would absolutely love a traditional formation, and direct strategy, that puts an emphasis on a striker position. I would love to lose out on the possession stats so we can focus on our counter-attack, which is when we're most dangerous.

MrD1879

Seasons gone no point paying over the odds in January for anyone you get no value

hovewhite

Think we won't get Gayle know as watched a lot of him on the prem games and he looks very adept in there and a good all round young player.
And don't trust our transfer comitte to find a good striker and I include the Talbot's snr & Jr in that.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Some think that Slav's days are numbered.
If that it so what sensible management would allow big money to be spent on players who may not be to the liking of the style of his successor?
If big money is spent then you can only take if as a show of confidence in Slav.

rubbernecca

davew

No point really, if we do Joka will probably leave him on the bench or playing for the under 23's and start to select Kamara. Best to write this season off but at least ensuring we do retain enough quality players to avoid getting relegated. Let Khan keep the 50 million + we get for Sess and Cairney in January, invest it wisely until the Summer and then have a big spend up in the Summer (lol), preferably on new players!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

EastEndWhite

Of course there is.  Can't understand why people want to throw in the towel when we only reach the half way point in the season next weekend. People were saying let's wait and see what happens with the January transfer window but seem to have given up any hope even before that.

davew

Quote from: EastEndWhite on December 17, 2017, 01:37:43 PM
Of course there is.  Can't understand why people want to throw in the towel when we only reach the half way point in the season next weekend. People were saying let's wait and see what happens with the January transfer window but seem to have given up any hope even before that.
It isn't about throwing the towel in, it is about being realistic!! Why spend money in January and ok let's say we achieve a mid table finish, anything above that is not seeming likely and then we have less funds in the main window and in all probability we will have a new coach/manager then (hopefully before then). If Joka goes before or in January I would be more than happy for our beloved owner (is it still Khan by the way) to splash the cash in January and allow the new coach/manager (who hopefully would get some input into who we sign) time to get a side ready to challenge for promotion next season, otherwise it will just be more of the same. Whatever was achieved last season is history, this season will become history and I think Joka has undone all the good he achieved last season, so I am sorry I really don't want to see him here in the New Year!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: EastEndWhite on December 17, 2017, 01:37:43 PM

The point I was making is,yes we need a striker,but our manager doesn't seem to know what one is with his baffling line ups.

grandad

The constant statement that our owner is an absentee is just plain stupid. One doesn´t have to go to church to be a Christian. I now live in Spain but it doesn´t make me any less of a supporter. Mr Khan is in constant video link with his staff in the UK. Have you forgotten Skype, IMO, Whatsapp live video, closed circuit TV.
MAF was only able to be in the UK for a certain number of days.
How many other owners really know that much about the game. I am sure the Glaziers didn´t know what shape the ball was.
Mr Khan is investing multi millions in our Club. If that isn´t a statement of ambition I don´t know what is.
All this negativity & knee jerk reactions will only give you a heart attack. Chill, it will all come good. I have no time scale but be patient.
I have been supporting for 63 years & I am still waiting for us to win the top tier & the FA Cup.
Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

The big money overseas man bought in the summer has failed with but a single goal in 17 games and last season we brought in a big name on loan who didn't really want to play for us.

Dread to think how big a mistake we will make with the next incoming striker.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: grandad on December 17, 2017, 02:32:37 PM
The constant statement that our owner is an absentee is just plain stupid. One doesn´t have to go to church to be a Christian. I now live in Spain but it doesn´t make me any less of a supporter. Mr Khan is in constant video link with his staff in the UK. Have you forgotten Skype, IMO, Whatsapp live video, closed circuit TV.
MAF was only able to be in the UK for a certain number of days.
How many other owners really know that much about the game. I am sure the Glaziers didn´t know what shape the ball was.
Mr Khan is investing multi millions in our Club. If that isn´t a statement of ambition I don´t know what is.
All this negativity & knee jerk reactions will only give you a heart attack. Chill, it will all come good. I have no time scale but be patient.
I have been supporting for 63 years & I am still waiting for us to win the top tier & the FA Cup.

Which just goes to prove how much out of touch both you and Khan are.
Please amend the word negativity, to the word reality.
Thank you.
As for knee jerk, don't make me laugh, these issues have been repeating themselves time and time again.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Luka

Lets hope we don't do any meaningful business in January.
I'm looking forward to dropping further down the table.
Then the games will have some meaning, the ensuing emotional rollercoaster will give me some return on the expense of the two season tickets I've had for 16 years.
Mid table mediocrity is just plain dull, a relegation dog fight is exciting stuff.
C'mon Khan, you know it makes sense.
😝

colinwhite

Its precisely because Slavisa knows what a good striker is that he isnt playing either Kamara or Fonte in the central role. He clearly doesnt rate either of them.

Riversider

Quote from: colinwhite on December 18, 2017, 06:13:09 AM
Its precisely because Slavisa knows what a good striker is that he isnt playing either Kamara or Fonte in the central role. He clearly doesnt rate either of them.

No but he does rate Johansen there ! Even though I'm more likely to score with Kelly Brook than Johansen is to score a goal !
If Jokanovic wanted to make a point to the board then why didn't he play Kamara as a centre forward for ten games straight ? At least then AK had a chance to either sink or swim, let's face it he couldn't possibly score any less than our False 9
Sunderland away was tailor made for a front line of Sess, Kamara and Ojo, still Jokanovic knows best 😣😣😭😭

Twig

Quote from: Riversider on December 18, 2017, 09:21:34 AM
Quote from: colinwhite on December 18, 2017, 06:13:09 AM

No but he does rate Johansen there ! Even though I'm more likely to score with Kelly Brook than Johansen is to score a goal !
If Jokanovic wanted to make a point to the board then why didn't he play Kamara as a centre forward for ten games straight ? At least then AK had a chance to either sink or swim, let's face it he couldn't possibly score any less than our False 9
Sunderland away was tailor made for a front line of Sess, Kamara and Ojo, still Jokanovic knows best 😣😣😭😭

I completely agree, Sunderland is the first game where I have begun to lose a little patience with our manager.

ScalleysDad

I would say No but have lots of enquiries in the mix. The team and seemingly the back office are not play off ready let alone Premiership ready. Let's face it if the favoured approach is to get a match ready, championship savvy player in they will be surplus to requirements wherever they may be now and also they will likely be in their early thirties.
That would mean looking again over the summer to rebuild a competitive promotion chasing team, restructuring across the place over the summer and yet again having a numbers heavy squad but little depth. We seem to agree we need a striker. A lumbering No.9, a fox in the box, a Saha clone? Nobody knows as the JOka plan is so hard to visualise.
I am not saying we do not need replacements, better options or indeed a massive clear out but JOka is the conundrum. His cv is not as good as some people seem to think, Wikipedia Watford FC or track down the local papers, and he is certainly not a long term project kind of guy based on his employment history and he is not setting the tone now. What Khan wants will be key. Throw in millions more and still have uncertainty or use his business head and consolidate his asset and rethink it with the pressure off. Of course the downside of him having his business head on is what to do with the income earners that would be Cairney, although he needs to up his game, Sess and possibly Kmac.
I would hate to wake up on January 2nd to the news we have signed a striker and the Club would like to welcome Nugent, Rhodes or similar but anything seems possible at the moment.