watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Just Got Back

Started by Peabody, December 23, 2017, 06:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Whilst 3pts is of course welcome. We made hard work of it,  particularly allowing them back into the game for the last ten minutes.  What I can't  understand is that we play some really attractive approach play and then, we reach the penalty area and just pass either sideways or even worse, backwards, loose all momentum and eventually loose the ball. To be fair, today we had a few shots in the box and of course out two goals were from outside the box.

Matt10

Quote from: Peabody on December 23, 2017, 06:28:06 PM
Whilst 3pts is of course welcome. We made hard work of it,  particularly allowing them back into the game for the last ten minutes.  What I can't  understand is that we play some really attractive approach play and then, we reach the penalty area and just pass either sideways or even worse, backwards, loose all momentum and eventually loose the ball. To be fair, today we had a few shots in the box and of course out two goals were from outside the box.

Notice we do this more on the right hand side than we do on the left hand side. It's pretty simple, Sess is much more direct with the ball and Fredericks likes to stop the ball so he can beat players in acceleration. When they double his side, he is forced to pass it backwards. For all the lulls in the match, they occurred most on the right side of the pitch. It's not to say Fredericks isn't a good player, but he has a tendency to want to beat players from a standing>acceleration>sprint position. Towards the end of the match, he was able to run with the ball much more openly as we were on the counter, and still trying to bag that 3rd goal.

davew

Although the recent wins (against teams below us) have kept us mid table, we have been far from convincing, I worry about the results we are going to achieve when we start to play some decent teams in the Division. The team selection was probably more acceptable to most fans, but not the overall performance.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

PokerMatt

Quote from: davew on December 23, 2017, 06:36:29 PM
Although the recent wins (against teams below us) have kept us mid table, we have been far from convincing, I worry about the results we are going to achieve when we start to play some decent teams in the Division. The team selection was probably more acceptable to most fans, but not the overall performance.
After today we've now played every team in the division. So we've played every good team and every bad team.

Personally thought we played well today. Much more sensible lineup and formation and some players were looking better. There's competition for places again and we're at least winning at home.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

davew

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 23, 2017, 06:54:21 PM
After today we've now played every team in the division. So we've played every good team and every bad team.

Personally thought we played well today. Much more sensible lineup and formation and some players were looking better. There's competition for places again and we're at least winning at home.
Yes Matt, the home wins have been very welcome and essential!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

Our best performance for a while but we were playing a low team who came here to defend  and really we should have scored more earlier.   We should not have had to faced another nail biting last ten minutes with the game in the balance.
A couple of good goals but still too many shots wide and over the bar.

Twig

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 23, 2017, 06:54:21 PM

I agree, ok we weren't perfect but I enjoyed some of our play and we scored two cracking goals.

Woolly Mammoth

A win is a win, as long as the powers to be recognise that we have to recruit a quality striker in January to give us the best chance of reaching a top six spot. Of course other positions need strengthening notably left back and Centre Back, but without a recognised striker, we will struggle to overturn any team in this Division as our scorelines and results confirm.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

colinwhite

3 points is  3 points. It would have been nice to have been more convincing but they sat deep and defended all game more or less without attacking intent .
it aint easy to break teams down if you cant get an early goal,and even if you do their mind set changes and they suddenly start taking lots of risks.

Woolly Mammoth

That's why we need a decent striker to put us in the driving seat early and be the difference between winning and losing, be the difference between winning and drawing, be the difference between drawing and losing, and be the difference between struggling to hang on to a narrow win, and winning more comfortably.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 23, 2017, 07:23:50 PM
A win is a win, as long as the powers to be recognise that we have to recruit a quality striker in January to give us the best chance of reaching a top six spot. Of course other positions need strengthening notably left back and Centre Back, but without a recognised striker, we will struggle to overturn any team in this Division as our scorelines and results confirm.

Rumours are the powers that be have their eyes on ........ Chris Martin, not sure what the natives will think of that. Certainly know what Gentleman Jim thinks
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Thanks Peabody. I am one of many who look's avidly for your 'Just got back'. I think you should do a page in the TOOFIF called just that.

092.gif

MikeW

I really can't imagine why any team comes to the Cottage thinking they are going to get hammered. At least its a draw, at best a win.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

PokerMatt

Quote from: MikeW on December 23, 2017, 09:00:06 PM
I really can't imagine why any team comes to the Cottage thinking they are going to get hammered. At least its a draw, at best a win.

Except for the last 3 teams who have visited.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Twig

Quote from: MikeW on December 23, 2017, 09:00:06 PM

At least it's a draw? So you've been hibernating since mid November?

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Fernhurst on December 23, 2017, 08:44:24 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 23, 2017, 07:23:50 PM

Rumours are the powers that be have their eyes on ........ Chris Martin, not sure what the natives will think of that. Certainly know what Gentleman Jim thinks
Let's hope this is only a rumour.
We certainly need a Martin type of central striker, but not that overweight diva.