watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettineli

Started by Andy S, January 03, 2018, 09:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I thought Bettineli was at fault for the Ipswich goal last night. He would have been better to have stayed on his line instead of trying to come out and punch it. He then pretended to be injured to cover up embarrassment. We could certainly do with a better keeper

Milo

Tad harsh based on one goal but certainly rehashes the old debate of whether Betts flaps too much - we thought he had cemented over those cracks.

snarks

If you saw the wayBetts was hit as the ball came in, I think he was injured. To be blunt it was a good free kick, into the horrible area between defenders and the keeper. He had to go for it as no defender was going to get there and indeed they would expect him to. That was their only "shot" on target the whole night.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: snarks on January 03, 2018, 10:00:37 AM
If you saw the wayBetts was hit as the ball came in, I think he was injured. To be blunt it was a good free kick, into the horrible area between defenders and the keeper. He had to go for it as no defender was going to get there and indeed they would expect him to. That was their only "shot" on target the whole night.

That is why we need a big strong Centre Back to take control of these situations in the box when they arise, if we had had one of those last night, Betts would have stayed on his line and no doubt the CB would have dealt with it, but he wasn't there to deal with it, and because of that, it makes us more than vulnerable in these situations.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Cdempsey

Betinelli is too flappy for me but then many championship keepers can be. If possible we should try and get Joel Pereira on loan from Man U. Would be a great addition.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 03, 2018, 10:10:58 AM

That is why we need a big strong Centre Back to take control of these situations in the box when they arise, if we had had one of those last night, Betts would have stayed on his line and no doubt the CB would have dealt with it, but he wasn't there to deal with it, and because of that, it makes us more than vulnerable in these situations.

At this moment the big strong centre back is probably top of our wanted list and with the way kamara is playing takes priority over a striker.

HamsterWheel

Against McCarthy's Ipswich we needed 5 big centrebacks. We won't play like that so just have to outscore them and not concede silly freekicks.

Twig

Quote from: Andy S on January 03, 2018, 09:37:13 AM
I thought Bettineli was at fault for the Ipswich goal last night. He would have been better to have stayed on his line instead of trying to come out and punch it. He then pretended to be injured to cover up embarrassment. We could certainly do with a better keeper

I completely disagree with your contention that he pretended injury. I saw the collision very clearly and he was definitely caught.  As to whether he was at fault I think that's debatable.  What I do find odd is that your only post (that  can find) after a superb performance is bashing one of our players.

Andy S

Betts got away with one last week when odoi had to head over his own bar. Betts is still young for a keeper and should improve. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes or at least he gets away with some but his distribution is not always the best either. May I say neither is Button's so that is why I think a good keeper would be an advantage. Yes a centre half and a forward would also be helpful. It's the old thing about the spine through the middle. It always was and still is

@jolslover

It was Betts fault IMO and since he has come in for Button we have been conceding from corners and free kicks like we never did before.
Betts- Possibly a better shot stopper, Not much in it. Worse kicking than Button (Again not much in it) but commanding his area he is a lot worse than Button and that makes Button for me the overall better keeper.
STH H3

Bassey the warrior

It's something to review in the summer, not this window.

RP24

Whilst I agree Bets was poorly positioned for the goal I don't blame him. The blame for the goal should be down to 2 players.
1. Johansen for giving away a stupid free kick in an area where they had nearly scored earlier on in the match.
2. Norwood, he took over of marking number 14 when he had a tussle with Odio, he then let the man have about a yard of space to have the header. Very poor defending.

Whilst I feel we need a new keeper I think it is a bit harsh to put total blame on Betts here

Also we won so who cares

Matt10

We have to stop playing the blame game in general. Betts has been solid for us, and he's very passionate for the club. He has made some incredible saves for us - and I look forward to him continuing to start for us.

bill taylors apprentice

I think he was genuinely injured.

I may be a bit old fashioned but if my keepers are going to come for the ball then the must take the ball and 'take out' (fairly but robustly) anything in his way!

Ronnief

I was sitting in the Hammy End last night and could clearly see the game plan that Ipswich use on set pieces.  Before the free kick was taken there was so much pushing and shoving by their players, obvious gamesmanship. They know they will only get a telling off at the most from the ref as what did happen last night.  Both their forward and Odoi who struggled having been constantly pushed, was pulled over by the ref for a talking too.  He never really got back in position before the free kick was taken and hence the headed goal.  When Fulham took free kicks I didn't see us do the same thing therefor less problems for the defence.  Should fouls like this before a free kick is taken result in a free kick being awarded to the other team instead?

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Who has been in goal during our recent revival in form?

Betts - Say no more!

Yes occasional mistakes are being made by the defence and keeper, but there are not the absolute jitters that we saw with Button in goal.

Whitesideup

In
Quote from: Ronnief on January 03, 2018, 04:12:11 PM
I was sitting in the Hammy End last night and could clearly see the game plan that Ipswich use on set pieces.  Before the free kick was taken there was so much pushing and shoving by their players, obvious gamesmanship. They know they will only get a telling off at the most from the ref as what did happen last night.  Both their forward and Odoi who struggled having been constantly pushed, was pulled over by the ref for a talking too.  He never really got back in position before the free kick was taken and hence the headed goal.  When Fulham took free kicks I didn't see us do the same thing therefor less problems for the defence.  Should fouls like this before a free kick is taken result in a free kick being awarded to the other team instead?
Innovative idea, but the problem always is, who started it? Often the problem is that the ref or lino misses the original and then punishes the person who responds in kind ... bit like the free kick that Johansen gave away. He (stupidly) responded to being pulled by pushing and gave a way a free kick in a dangerous area.

Whitesideup

I don't think the big, strong centre back necessarily stops that kind of goal. It's wrong to think we are never going to concede again if we have the equivalent of Dunk or McGuire in our team.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 03, 2018, 04:24:48 PM

Sorry, that post wasn't clear. Somehow I managed to place text in the wrong place. My comment was: "I don't think the big, strong centre back necessarily stops that kind of goal. It's wrong to think we are never going to concede again if we have the equivalent of Dunk or McGuire in our team. "

bobby01

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on January 03, 2018, 04:17:08 PM
Who has been in goal during our recent revival in form?

Betts - Say no more!

Yes occasional mistakes are being made by the defence and keeper, but there are not the absolute jitters that we saw with Button in goal.

People have their favourite between Betts and butt. Me personally I like Betts, but to see comments here that we have conceded lots more goals from crosses when Betts has been in goal is just not true, it is 2 maybe 3 only.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.