watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

redefined players...

Started by General, January 03, 2018, 08:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Many are questioning what Sessegnon's right position in - Slavisa said he likes him playing in both, but that he can't play Sess at LM (at times)..

It's clear to all tha Sess is something pretty special and has the ability to score goals regardless of position (yest he was LB and scored two)...

In fact two of the worlds best players started off as wing backs in Bale and Henry.. which got me thinking..

As a profession, footballers much change their roles within a team at various stages to meet their abilities against the requirements of the level they find themselves at, with the intention of maintaining a career in the sport at the highest level possible... There are obvious examples of players in the twilight of their careers - like Rooney in midfield etc, and I was thinking that this is what perhaps makes players like Bale and Henry and perhaps even our very own Sessegnon worl beaters when they finally are moved further forward due to the ability to understand the mindset of defenders...?

My question is can anyone name players they've known to have started in one position, struggled in and when moved to an entirely different position went on to thrive?

Also, does anyone have opinions on any current players who may be being played out of place who they believe could be doing ten times better (or just a lot better) if placed in a different position?

Woolly Mammoth

I can think of a player who started off in one position, and struggled badly, and finished in another position, and struggled badly in that position also.
That was Mark Fotheringham.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jonaldiniho 88

Cairney played out wide as i believe did danny Murphy. But much better in the middle. On sess, i dont know if he will ever be the best winger in the world. Is he going to be as good as Hazard, Ronaldo? He has every chance i suppose but you would be taking a risk putting any meaningful money he will be nominated for the balon dor (no idea how to spell that). In that case he is much more likely to make the upper echelons in world football as a flying left back who scores 10 a season than competeting against salah, sterling or sanchez. Anything is possible but he would have to continue improving on this current trajectory for quite a number of years to get there.

Just to add to that i think sess is most likely to succeed upfront. Ian wright or louis saha type of player more than a winger. He knows where to be and when.

Kiwimike

Quote from: General on January 03, 2018, 08:09:05 PM
Many are questioning what Sessegnon's right position in - Slavisa said he likes him playing in both, but that he can't play Sess at LM (at times)..

It's clear to all tha Sess is something pretty special and has the ability to score goals regardless of position (yest he was LB and scored two)...

In fact two of the worlds best players started off as wing backs in Bale and Henry.. which got me thinking..

As a profession, footballers much change their roles within a team at various stages to meet their abilities against the requirements of the level they find themselves at, with the intention of maintaining a career in the sport at the highest level possible... There are obvious examples of players in the twilight of their careers - like Rooney in midfield etc, and I was thinking that this is what perhaps makes players like Bale and Henry and perhaps even our very own Sessegnon worl beaters when they finally are moved further forward due to the ability to understand the mindset of defenders...?

My question is can anyone name players they've known to have started in one position, struggled in and when moved to an entirely different position went on to thrive?

Also, does anyone have opinions on any current players who may be being played out of place who they believe could be doing ten times better (or just a lot better) if placed in a different position?

Malcolm MacDonald is an obvious one for us oldies.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Kiwimike on January 04, 2018, 06:59:06 AM
Quote from: General on January 03, 2018, 08:09:05 PM

Malcolm MacDonald is an obvious one for us oldies.

Yes indeed, a classic example, Super MAC,  from Full Back to Forward, and an England International Forward to boot.
Didn't Fulham sell him to Luton for £15,000, not Fulham's finest hour.
But yes Malcolm Macdonald, a great example, and then of course to add to the Fairy Tale, he went on to successfully manage Fulham FC.

Never forget your Roots.

..FOF..

Not entirely different position but struggled in one then memorably excelled after changing;

Bastian Schweinsteiger - Wide midfield to Central Midfield
Javier Mascherano - Midfield to Centre Back

Woolly Mammoth

Malcolm Webster, Goalkeeper to Zoo Keeper.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Fernando Torres started out as a Goalkeeper !!!!
Dion Dublin started as a defender for Cambridge Utd and went on to play as a Forward and played for Manchester United and England.
Jergan Klopp played 6 years as a defender, and 6 years as a forward I am to understand.

Never forget your Roots.

ron

Our own bobby robson became a fine wing half (a what?)...after dropping back from being an excellent forward in those days of yore.

...come to that, bobby keetch had a spell kicking opposing centre-half shins instead of his usual prey of centre-forwards....but he was much better "stopping"

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 04, 2018, 07:38:54 AM
That would only serve to show that he was better at letting animals out than he was at letting goals in.

cmg

Roy Bentley one of the top centre-forwards in the country for Chelsea and England.
On being cleared out of Stamford Bridge, having been their League title captain, he became a terrific centre-half (CB) for us. It was probably only his age that prevented him from gaining further England caps in that position.

toshes mate

Thierry Henry started out as a winger before switching to his formidable striker role.

twang

Mousa Dembele. From ineffective forward to brilliant central midfielder.

Holders

Quote from: filham on January 04, 2018, 10:58:04 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 04, 2018, 07:38:54 AM
That would only serve to show that he was better at letting animals out than he was at letting goals in.

Must be because he was such a master at shutting the door after the horse has bolted - or picking the ball out of the net.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

And thinking back to how he struggled with the high crosses I would think the giraffes would go hungry,