more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Unsung Hero

Started by BedsFFC, January 04, 2018, 01:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Denis Odoi.

Had one bad game a while back (can't remember who against) but as I see it, he is Mr Reliable.  His place in the team is very vulnerable. If Soares had stepped up, would he have played this season?

He gets left out but steps in and does a great job. When you look back over a good season, you start to appreciate the jobs players like this do. A latter-day Chris Baird??

Whitesideup

I agree, and inch for inch one of the best defensive headers of the ball I have ever seen.

General

Can't be put in the same bracket as Baird in my mind - Baird was useless for us when he first joined - whenever he was in a matchday squad, came on he was booed or people groaned... he worked he way back into people's favour but it took a good year or more to do so.

Odoi is completely different - I've always seen him as reliable and talented, just not given much of a look in despite his quality because he's had to deal with Fredericks and Malone, then Sessegnon (who have all been on form), or competing against a ultimately reliable CB pairing of Ream and Kalas (with Kalas only just for whatever reason showing a dip in what has been usually realiable form).

hovewhite

Squad members there for that reason.

Twig

I have always liked Odoi whether at CB or FB.  In many ways I prefer him at LB over Sess because it frees us up to move Sess forward and Odoi is a far better defender.

Tabby

He has been as good as any of our CB's whenever I've seen him there, which was very unexpected when the season started.

Think he looks a bit awkward at LB when going forward, would like to get someone else in to cover there if Joka doesn't fancy Soares.

S.F.Sorrow

Excellent player, even when he's played out of position. Last year when he was used more at RB he had some truly amazing performances. Our best RB in my opinion but with Fredericks' pace it's a tough decision. He's been surprisingly good at CB too but I still hope to see a new CB (or two...) in January.

gerrys

And to think that at the start of the last window he was rumoured to be leaving but the fee could not be agreed  :wow:

filham

Odoi is invaluable to have in the squad due to his versitality in defence, he provides good cover for any of the back four positions.

The big problem Baird faced when he arrived at the Cottage was that we played him at right back when he was a central defender. I remember an early game of his at the Emerates when the Arsenal winger gave him a complete roasting but we continued playing him in that position for a good while. However he stuck at things and after a spell out of the team came back as a utility player and gave some good performances.

e4b

Great OP definatly an unsung hero.Steps in wherever needed and doesnt seem to moan when on the bench.

ffcthereligion

I like him but at fault for goal on Tuesday

e4b

Glad none of our regular defenders who play in the same position week after week are never at fault when we concede .

davew

Quote from: General on January 04, 2018, 01:16:43 PM

Can't be put in the same bracket as Baird in my mind - Baird was useless for us when he first joined - whenever he was in a matchday squad, came on he was booed or people groaned... he worked he way back into people's favour but it took a good year or more to do so.

Odoi is completely different - I've always seen him as reliable and talented, just not given much of a look in despite his quality because he's had to deal with Fredericks and Malone, then Sessegnon (who have all been on form), or competing against a ultimately reliable CB pairing of Ream and Kalas (with Kalas only just for whatever reason showing a dip in what has been usually realiable form).

Well said!!! He wears the Fulham badge with pride whatever place he is asked to play in and whenever he is called on to play, a true professional and though not worth as much (in money terms as Sess and a few others), a true asset to FFC!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Twig

Quote from: General on January 04, 2018, 01:16:43 PM

All true but, forgetting the fact it took Bairdinho longer to find favour with the fans, I do understand the comparison in terms of versatility, a utility player if you like.  As Whiteside says he is a good header of the ball and he seems like an intelligent player to me, someone who thinks about what he is doing.  Time will tell but he could have a long term future with us as invaluable back four cover able to play in all four positions.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 04, 2018, 08:56:15 PM
I like him but at fault for goal on Tuesday

How! It was Johansens fault in the first place for giving away a silly free kick.