https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goodbye Hughes

Started by St Eve, January 06, 2018, 08:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

Sacked. Couldn't happen to a better bloke. So arrogant

domprague

That's true. But we were crap after he left.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

St Eve

True but that has been debated many times and not worth revisiting. I'm just pleased he got sacked yet again. Obviously he is not as good as he thinks he is

aaronmcguigan

One of the horrible natures of English football, and I'm pretty sure it's repeated throughout the lands is that no matter how bad he has messed up Stoke over a number of years through poor investment, poor motivation and unacceptable results, you just know that before the end of the season, some team will hit the panic button and appoint him , thus forgetting how badly he's actually done.

How he even got the Stoke job after his QPR shambles proves the above observation

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Woolly Mammoth

I wondered why there were flags and bunting and a street party in my road when I came home from the gym this evening.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HatterDon

He changed Stoke from a negative anti-football side to a consistent entertaining mid-table club -- all you could expect for a team that size.

I believe he would have kept Stoke up, but think they'll go down now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: HatterDon on January 07, 2018, 12:37:52 AM
He changed Stoke from a negative anti-football side to a consistent entertaining mid-table club -- all you could expect for a team that size.

On reflection I agree with your analysis, and I just wonder who they will replace him with.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Asotosyios

Quote from: Newry FFC on January 06, 2018, 08:44:29 PM
One of the horrible natures of English football, and I'm pretty sure it's repeated throughout the lands is that no matter how bad he has messed up Stoke over a number of years through poor investment, poor motivation and unacceptable results, you just know that before the end of the season, some team will hit the panic button and appoint him , thus forgetting how badly he's actually done.

How he even got the Stoke job after his QPR shambles proves the above observation

Stoke City's record under Hughes:
13/14 - 9th
14/15 - 9th
15/16 - 9th
16/17 - 13th

Obviously they are not doing well this season, but saying he hasn't done well with them doesn't ring true to me.

EJL

Quote from: HatterDon on January 07, 2018, 12:37:52 AM

He'd lost the dressing room and put together a Frankenstein's monster of a squad with no discernible style.

General

Quote from: Asotosyios on January 07, 2018, 01:57:21 AM

13/14 - 9th
14/15 - 9th
15/16 - 9th
16/17 - 13th

Obviously they are not doing well this season, but saying he hasn't done well with them doesn't ring true to me.

Hmmm - not so sure - they've invested quite heavily in the squad under hughes and he's seemingly regressing at the club despite it. 9th place is ok, but it's nothing to write home about.

The one thing I'm suprised no-one's picked up on though is the fact that it was essentially an ex Fulham player that got him the sack today in Jack Grimmer. Good to see an academy player thrive in these instances.. especially considering Coventry are in league 2 at the moment and they took a premiership scalp (and huges').

Andy S

I think it is quite sad. Yes he believed in his ability. If you don't you should not be doing the job. If Slav left I'd take him back in a heartbeat as he is a lot better than a lot of the dross out there in management

Snibbo

Jack Grimmer scored Coventry's second. Remember him?

glenhodgso

Quote from: General on January 07, 2018, 02:15:37 AM

13/14 - 9th
14/15 - 9th
15/16 - 9th
16/17 - 13th

Hmmm - not so sure - they've invested quite heavily in the squad under hughes and he's seemingly regressing at the club despite it. 9th place is ok, but it's nothing to write home about.

I would love to go back to the days of regularly finishing in the middle third of the Premier League thank you very much.....

I am not a great fan of Hughes, but he had to follow a legend at Fulham, and, if I was being completely unemotional, his 'ambition' comment, which is really why many of us dislike him-  although I'll-advised and crass - was probably very true in hindsight.

ron

Quote from: Andy S on January 07, 2018, 02:29:20 AM
I think it is quite sad. Yes he believed in his ability. If you don't you should not be doing the job. If Slav left I'd take him back in a heartbeat as he is a lot better than a lot of the dross out there in management

I like him too....but the fact that the results at Stoke have been judged against the amount spent on the squad recently suggest that he has not managed well the "ambition" ...i.e. spending... at the club. Lack of said "ambition" at Fulham was the reason he left. What would he have done here had he been given the budget?

Having said that, I think that he could still do a good job here in the cash-strapped situation...providing of course if he settled to the job of maximising resources rather than bleating about ambition. He might be more disposed to do so now, having now had a P45 pressed into his hand...

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

[/quote] He'd lost the dressing room and put together a Frankenstein's monster of a squad with no discernible style.
[/quote]

A sign in the corridor  "This way to the dressing room" would solve that
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Carborundum

I respect what he's done.  He's a decent manager that brings a professional approach to the business of picking up points in the premier league.  He made some good decisions when he was our manager.  Finishing ninth in the premier league is basically finishing third in a 14 team league.  A lot has to go right to do that and only a decent manager can pull it off three years in a row.

HatterDon

13/14 - 9th
14/15 - 9th
15/16 - 9th
16/17 - 13th

You have to realize that he had a huge desk in his office while at Fulham. That's a fatal flaw right there. It made the supporters hate him. Everyone was pleased when he left us -- after a season where we finished 8th -- our second highest finish ever -- that was filled with exciting football.

Nobody also wants to acknowledge the fact that he left for the same reason Roy left. MAF wanted to sell the club, and to do so he had to rid himself of big money long-term contracts. Where I come from that's called "LACK OF AMBITION."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

St Eve

All very interesting but he spent plenty a lot of money at Stoke and most deals were failures. He was pretty much given free reign, unlike Slav, and was hopeless in the market. He has left Stoke in a mess and they are probably certs to go down regardless of who takes over. Before that he got fired by QPR. Can he do a job for another club? Maybe, but he will have to control that arrogance

filham

Wonder who next will be prepared to give him a job and whether or not he will be prepared to drop out of the Championship.
He has made it clear that he likes money to be available to spend in the transfer market. not all chairman will be happy to hire a manager with that attitude.