https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Starting lineup against Stoke

Started by HatterDon, September 19, 2010, 11:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I'm thinking we might want to

(a) give Dembele a chance to iron out the lumps he took against Blackburn AND
(b) give JP another run out after his well-deserved 180 minute vacation from the league.

I'm also thinking that it's a good idea to keep Salcido out there to get him more used to the rest of the back four.

So, assuming that we're still without England's GK of the Future, I'm looking for

Schwarzer

Paintsil   Hughes   Hangeland   Salcido

Riise       Etuhu      Murphy      Davies

Dempsey   EJ

Eddie has had one fairly positive and one fairly useless cameo. I think it might be good to give him a start. Playing off of Dempsey might give him a bit more confidence. We're playing against a defense that eats up high balls into the center of defense. Conversely, a speedy player is almost a guarantee of a red card sometime during the 90 minutes from, Shhhh you know who.

Duff still isn't Duff, and I think 90 minutes off would do him some good. I've read somewhere that Riise has been looking good in training and it might be time to let him go. Murphy should probably give way to Jesus some time in the second half, and perhaps Baird for Dickson as well.

I think Mark wants to win this match and this competition. I think Pulis isn't that concerned right now.

I think we win in extra time.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Terry Tibbs

bigalffc

I'd like to see Elm alongside dembele and Gera in behind them. I agree Pants should get a chance to make amends and Baird in Midfield. How about Haliche getting a run out at CB?
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

ImperialWhite

Just playing around with the squad, a not-particularly serious suggestion, but:

----------------Schwarzer----------------------
Painstil------Hughes------Hangeland------Salcido
--------------Etuhu------Baird------------------
Riise---------------Gera----------------Dempsey
----------------------------EJ------------------
4411/4231

Advantages
Rests Dembele, Duff, Murphy, Davies.
A formation they're more or less used to, from Europe (where we won away!)
Fairly defensive, but enough class in Gera/Demps/Salcido to nick a goal.

Obvious disadvantages
A lot of responsibility for EJ. A crap game for him would be worse than not starting at all.
Fairly defensive, wouldn't be good for team to have to endure 90+30+pens, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to either.

Edit: more seriously, I think it'll be more or less as you suggest above. I think Hughes does take this cup seriously (it's 26-1 for us to win atm...was tempted earlier!), and since Stoke probably won't there's a small chance we might actually make a good go of it (if we beat Stoke, I probably will pop the bet on).

Mr Fulham

Schwarzer - Pantsil, Hughes, Halliche, Salcido - Riise, Baird, Greening, Davies - Gera - Dembele (HT Dempsey)

I think Sparky should give Greening, Riise and Halliche a run out. The Baird/Greening-pairing worked quite well last year and Smurf might need a break.

We should put Stoke under intense pressure, although it's an away game. I'd love to see 15 or 20 minutes of Dalla Valle, Trotta, Briggs or Courtney Harris.

Lighthouse

I think to ask a centre half not used to the English game to make a debut against Stoke is going to scar the bloke.

Swart
Pants
Hughes
Hang
Briggs
Riise
Greening
Baird
Gera
Elm
EJ

GK,Dembele,Demps,Duff,Halliche,Salcido,Kelly
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 20, 2010, 12:29:20 AM
I think to ask a centre half not used to the English game to make a debut against Stoke is going to scar the bloke.

He's a badass.

I don't think it would be a problem to throw him in. Possibly the best way to introduce him.

timmyg

Give Dembele and Murphy a rest and I think we'll see a similar side to what we've been seeing all season.

On the flip side, I'm really not too concerned about Stoke. This would have been a banana peel for other managers (yes, even Roy) but Sparky seems focused on this cup.

Stoke have a big game at Newcastle on the weekend so I doubt we'll see anything close to a first XI from them -- even if it's at home Just look at who they put out against Shrewsbury:

QuoteCarlo Nash; Danny Higginbotham, Andy Wilkinson, Robert Huth, Ryan Shawcross; Michael Tonge, Glenn Whelan, Matthew Etherington, Danny Pugh, Tuncay Sanli; Jonathan Walters

"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

TonyGilroy

Stoke may rest players but I don't think we will.

We played the strongest available side against Port Vale and I think we'll be unchanged Tuesday unless someone's carrying an injury.

This is a Cup we need to try to win and Stoke away is a tough match.

HatterDon

I thought I had read that Haliche was injured. If he's not, then I agree that it would be great to get him a run-out at Stoke.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

Quote from: HatterDon on September 20, 2010, 03:27:16 PM
I thought I had read that Haliche was injured. If he's not, then I agree that it would be great to get him a run-out at Stoke.

according to the Physio Room he's go a groin strain...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/home.php

SmithyFFC

Schwarzer

Panstil  Halliche  Baird  Briggs

Duff  Dikagcoi  Riise  Dempsey

EJ  Elm
FTID

JBH

Schwarzer

Stoor     Hughes    Hangerland   Briggs

Gera      Ethutu     Baird     Riise

EJ      Dembelle

Subs:
Etheridge
Saceido
Dempsey
Elm
Pansil
Davies
Trotta

White Noise

Ruddy Nora! What a lot of different potential combinations. I am quite confused after all that!  :023:

However, given Sparky's recent comments about wanting to stick with his core team to get to know them better I think we will see -

Schwarzer

Kelly Hangeland Hughes Salcido

Gera  Baird Murphy Davies

Dempsey  Dembele