https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (15/01/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 15, 2018, 07:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Penalty practice pays off for perfectionist Norwood
by Dan on January 14, 2018

Ollie Norwood's perfect penalty clinched a crucial win for Fulham at Middlesbrough yesterday – and the Northern Irish midfielder revealed that regular practice down at Motspur Park is behind his unerring consistency from twelve yards.

The Brighton loanee has assumed responsibility for one of the major problems that undermined Fulham's promotion push last season after establishing himself as a reliable penalty taker during his first spell in the team after arriving at Craven Cottage. Norwood, whose spot-kick at the Riverside Stadium was his third successful penalty of the campaign, told GetWestLondon's Ryan O'Donovan that he has been driving Fulham's goalkeepers to distraction by continually testing his prowess from twelve yards.

It's why you practice – the lads and manager will probably tell you, I drive the goalkeepers mad every day practising them and it's for moments like that. I want the responsibility and the gaffer gave me that, I'll take them if we carry on getting them and I will carry on scoring them.

Norwood, who won the pivotal penalty himself, believes that the narrow victory in the north east provided further evidence that Slavisa Jokanovic's side are hitting their stride at the right time in the season. The former Manchester United trainee is conscious that, with the Whites still a point outside the top six, nothing has been achieved at the moment.

There's a long way to go yet, but we're building momentum nicely and we're building form at a good time. We wanted to win today to give ourselves a real chance of moving on and we have a home game next week and we have to make sure we win that to make these three points important.

The midfielder was modest enough to mull over the absence of club captain Tom Cairney, who was only fit enough to make the bench against Middlesbrough after experiencing problems with his troublesome knee. The 26 year-old feels Fulham could be a different proposition in the second half of the season when their key players are unaffected by injuries,

Tom missed out today with a little niggle and we do miss him when he doesn't play, he's a wonderful footballer, everybody knows that in the league and the league above. Any team would miss him in this division, but we managed to get the win today and hopefully we can get the lads back fit who are struggling with little niggles and hopefully we can get them back.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/penalty-practice-pays-off-for-perfectionist-norwood/

WhiteJC

Transfer gossip: Sun on Sunday say Whites are keen on Oliveira

Some of the recent transfer speculation involving Fulham...

Fulham are eyeing Norwich forward Nelson Oliveira, the Sun on Sunday claim.

The newspaper say the Whites are monitoring Oliveira's situation at Carrow Road ahead of a possible move for the Portuguese.

Derby County are said to have offered £8m for him and the Sun on Sunday say there is also interest from Swansea City and Wolves.

Sessegnon speculation
There continues to be speculation over the future of Ryan Sessegnon.

Paris St-Germain are the latest club to be linked with the Fulham youngster.

The Daily Mirror claim the French club are "desperate" to land the 17-year-old and beat Tottenham to a deal to sign him.

Spurs have long been interested in Sessegnon and several other clubs have been linked with him.
The Mail say Sessegnon is likely to eventually join Tottenham despite interest from Manchester United and, apparently, Real Madrid.

The Telegraph, meanwhile, have claimed Southampton are ready to make a bid for Sessegnon and that Saints defender Matt Targett could replace him at Fulham as part of any deal.

The Guardian recently suggested that United are preparing to offer Fulham £25m for the 17-year-old left-back.

And The Sun followed that up by claiming that United boss Jose Mourinho is willing to loan Sessegnon back to Fulham in order to get the deal done.

Sessegnon signed a new contract at Craven Cottage during the summer.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-fulham-norwich-city-nelson-oliveira-wolves-swansea-city-derby-county-linked-140118

WhiteJC

Oliver Norwood reveals he drives Fulham's keepers mad from practising penalties every day

The midfielder has a 100% success rate from his penalties so far - including a last minute spot kick at the Riverside on Saturday

Oliver Norwood has revealed that he drives the goalkeepers at Fulham mad from practising penalties, but they won't be complaining after he made it three from three at Middlesbrough.

The Northern Irishman was fouled by Grant Leadbitter in the final moments of the game at the Riverside and he stepped up and dispatched a lovely penalty under hostile conditions to give his side a huge three points.

That's his third of the season, giving him a 100% rate, while the team themselves have missed just the one this season when Rui Fonte sent his spot kick against QPR high into the travelling fans.

Compare that to last season, where Fulham missed eight out of their 12 penalties and no one will begrudge the 26-year-old for wanting the responsibility and for making sure he sticks them away - something he looks like he will continue to do.

He said: "It's why you practice - the lads and manager will probably tell you, I drive the goalkeepers mad every day practising them and it's for moments like that.

"I want the responsibility and the gaffer gave me that, I'll take them if we carry on getting them and I will carry on scoring them."

Fulham moved to within one point of the Play-offs with victory at the Riverside, and Norwood thinks the side are building momentum at just the right moment.

"There's a long way to go yet, but we're building momentum nicely and we're building form at a good time," he added.

"We wanted to win today to give ourselves a real chance of moving on and we have a home game next week and we have to make sure we win that to make these three points important."

And those three points were picked up without Tom Cairney, who sat out the game on the bench as he continues to suffer from a knee injury that has plague his season, and Norwood is looking forward to having a fully fit Cairney back in the side.

He said: "Tom missed out today with a little niggle and we do miss him when he doesn't play, he's a wonderful footballer, everybody knows that in the league and the league above.

"Any team would miss him in this division, but we managed to get the win today and hopefully we can get the lads back fit who are struggling with little niggles and hopefully we can get them back.

"As a group, there's a real togetherness, we have to really kick on now."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oliver-norwood-reveals-drives-fulhams-14152618

WhiteJC

Referee's errors cost Middlesbrough the game against Fulham, says match pundit

'That standard of refereeing is not good enough at this level," insists former Middlesbrough midfielder

The standard of refereeing at the Riverside on Saturday was "not good enough" according to former Boro midfielder Neil Maddison.

The BBC Tees matchday expert was less than impressed with Geoff Eltringham's performance in a Championship fixture visitors Fulham won 1-0 thanks to a last gasp spotkick.

However, Maddison said Middlesbrough didn't help themselves because they missed several glorious chances to take the lead before Oliver Norwood converted a penalty in the fifth minute of stoppage time.

The first major controversy occurred just before the hour mark when Martin Braithwaite appeared to be shoved to the ground by Tomas Kalas.

It looked a clear cut penalty but the referee wasn't interested.

Boro's players complain to the referee during Fulham defeat

Then, in the 95th minute, Norwood crashed to the turf inside the Boro box following an attempted interception from Grant Leadbitter and Eltringham immediately pointed to the spot.

Maddison was in no doubt that the challenge on Braithwaite warranted a penalty.

He said: "Braithwaite's (foul) is an absolute stonewall pen. He pushes him down. I think it will be about the referee now because I think he's made too many mistakes in the game, too many rash decisions in the game and in the end he's effectively cost us the game. Far too many mistakes from the referee.

"The pen for Kalas bringing Braithwaite down is a stonewall, absolutely pen, no doubt about it."

On the late Fulham penalty, Maddison added: "Grant's? I'm not too sure.

"I've watched it about five or six times now. The lad's played the ball, I think Grant, he doesn't have to make the challenge, first and foremost, I think he just has to stand his ground but he goes in, he steps in, it's not his standing leg it's actually his left foot that he goes in with, I think he stands on the lad's foot and that's it.

"I don't know whether he touches the lad's foot or stands on it but the lad takes the ball away. It's going out of play but he goes down far too easily and he's looking for that pen.

"I think the referee just sees the lad going down and thinks 'he's caught him' and he gives the pen.

"But for me, the referee today, that standard of refereeing for me is not good enough at this level.

"I will say this, though, that's the difference, if you don't take your chances you get punished. And, how many chances have we had today?

"We've had too many chances, we should be out of sight, and at the end of the day, you don't take them, you get punished like that, it's gut wrenching, you're thinking 'dear me, we've been mugged', but (if you) stick your chances away (that's) a consolation goal for them, it's as simple as that.

"In terms of creating chances we should be out of sight today. But unfortunately today our scoring boots weren't on and you get punished from it."

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/referees-errors-cost-middlesbrough-game-14153222

WhiteJC

Fulham had the rub of the green at Middlesbrough but momentum with them, says pundit

Whites pick up three points and are a point shy of sixth

Michael Gray believes that the momentum is with Fulham after they picked up a smash and grab 1-0 win at Middlesbrough.

The Whites had to ride their luck with Britt Assombalonga and Rudy Gestede missing chances and they were fortunate not to give away a penalty away when Tomas Kalas brought down Martin Braithwaite.

And Fulham were given a penalty when Oliver Norwood went down in the box after a challenge from Grant Leadbitter, much to the fury of Tony Pulis. The on-loan Brighton man picked himself up and buried it to send the Whites to victory that leaves them a point shy of sixth.

Gray told Football on Five: "It was a slow start from them, I think everybody knew that but eventually now they've gotten into top form and are playing some nice football.

"Although today, I thought it was a difficult performance from them and they had to grind that result out.

"Yes, they got a little bit of luck at the end of the football game but I think apart from that it's momentum and they certainly have that in abundance.

"They're starting to get it right, I think we all expected them to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season with the style of football that the play.

"Scoring goals now, keeping clean sheets, hard to beat and what I said about today's performance, it's not about playing great football, it's about really working hard to win those games."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-rub-green-middlesbrough-momentum-14153445

WhiteJC

'Disgusted' Fulham man vents his anger at being frozen out by Slavisa Jokanovic

Ibrahima Cisse has described himself as 'disgusted' after being frozen out of the side at Fulham.

The 23-year-old has made eight senior appearances for the Whites, however just six of them have come in the Championship and he has not been seen in the league since the west London club were beaten at Aston Villa in October.

And he has claimed that Slavisa Jokanovic hasn't even explained why he's not in the squad.

He is quoted as saying by DH: "I even got tenure in three Cup games and then, all of a sudden, I disappeared from the selection, I'm a professional, so if I did something wrong, I would know it but then, this is not the case.

"Even my teammates have a hard time understanding my situation, but I'm still disgusted to stop playing."

Fulham have been long-term admirers of Cisse and expressed an interest last January and the midfielder has claimed his absence has caused him to lose a step.

He explained: "The coach knows me well because he was already at the club when there were touches with Fulham last winter.

"But he has his three midfielders and he does not want to touch it too much. In recent times, he has even put young people in front of me."

He added:"In my last match, a friendly against Southampton held in November, I gave it my all and scored a goal. But that did not change my situation.

"At the beginning of the season, I was really in great shape, I had never reached such a level since the beginning of my career. Unfortunately, I lost this pace because of this lack of playing time."

New signing from Standard Liege, Ibrahima Cisse, scored for Fulham this afternoon (Photo by Christof Koepsel/Getty Images)

However, Cisse appears keep to fight for his place at Craven Cottage and he has ruled out a loan move to a League One side.

"I could very well stay because aside from my playing time, I love Fulham, I'm in no hurry and we'll see if anything good comes to me."

"For the moment, I do not think to return to the Championship. The only club that could convince me is maybe Mechelen, but a loan from a British third division club does not kick me."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/disgusted-fulham-man-vents-anger-14154337

WhiteJC

Swansea City target fullback Ryan Fredericks gives an update on his Fulham future

The fullback has been linked with Swansea and Stoke, but Fredericks insists he is happy at Craven Cottage

Ryan Fredericks has insisted he is happy at Fulham, despite speculation linking him with a move away from the club.

Stoke City and Swansea are among the clubs who have been reported to be interested in the 25-year-old who only has six months left on his contract, but so far there's been no movement on that front, with Fredericks playing a key role in the 1-0 victory over Middlesbrough.

Fulham are adamant that none of their key players will be leaving this January, with Tony Khan already issuing a statement stating that Ryan Sessegnon, Fulhanm's 17-year-old wonderkid, will not be sold.

There's a contract on the table for the full back, and Fredericks has revealed that his people behind the scenes are dealing with that, and although he's not sure what is going to happen, he wants to end the season with promotion to the Premier League with Fulham.

He said: "I'm happy here, I've said it all along.

"My contract situation is getting sorted behind closed doors and the relevant people are trying to sort that now, I'm not too sure what is going to happen, but whilst I'm a Fulham player, be it one year, two years, three years, whatever it is, I will give my all in the shirt whenever I step onto the pitch.

"You couldn't get any better than that [ending the season being promoted with Fulham] promotion with any team is amazing so it would be my third season here, so hopefully third time lucky."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-target-fullback-ryan-14152655

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man urges Ryan Sessegnon to move away if a big team like Manchester United, not Tottenham, come in for him

'Important decisions will need to be made'

Former Fulham player Jimmy Bullard has admitted he is "not surprised" by the big teams' interest in Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon.

The 17-year-old has been the subject of much transfer speculation, not just this January, but last summer as well, with the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool all linked with moves.

And Bullard, who spent three years at Craven Cottage, believes the teen star should leave, but not to Tottenham.

Speaking in his weekly column for Bet Bright, Bullard said: "Fulham youngster Ryan Sessegnon has got an important decision to make at some point in the close future, with clubs like PSG, Manchester United and Spurs all showing interest in him and I'm not surprised.

"He will have agents circling like vultures and if I was the boy's old man, I would be adamant that he solely focuses on his football. Nothing else is important at this stage and the best thing that he can do is to keep producing on the field.

"His family have got to know where is best for the boy, then see who's really interested in him. The problem you have now is that the lad's development depends on how the manager at the time wants to play... but there's one problem with that: the manager could only be around for two seasons before he gets fired.

"It's a nice position to be in, but difficult choices have to be made. If you ask me, he's got to go to a big club like PSG or United if they come in for him, because he may never get the opportunity again.

"With all due respect, Spurs aren't at the same level as those clubs, so he could go there, it might not work out how he'd expect and then he'd have blown his chance to sign with the big boys – you can always step down, but you can't always step up when it suits you."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/former-fulham-man-urges-ryan-14154486

WhiteJC

Leeds televised more than Brentford, Fulham and QPR combined

Sky announced their latest selections for live games and the Yorkshire side were included four times in the space of five games

Leeds have had their fixtures televised more than Brentford, QPR and Fulham have had combined so far this season.

Sky announced their latest selections for live games and the Yorkshire side were included four times in the space of five games.

And that brings the total amount of Leeds games shown this year to a staggering 17, with Aston Villa behind with 12.

Sheffield United are the third team to reach double figures with champions elect Wolves on nine times, including their upcoming clash with Slavisa Jokanovic's Whites.

For west London clubs it's a different story with Fulham being shown the most amount of times on television with just four games screened.

Brentford have been on television on three occasions, including their home fixture with Leeds and Aston Villa, while Rangers have only been shown twice.

The 'league table'

Leeds 17

Villa 12

Sheff Utd 10

Wolves 9

Sheff Wed 8

Cardiff 8

Bristol City 7

Forest 7

Birmingham 7

Derby 6

Hull 5

Middlesbrough 5

Fulham 4

Norwich 4

Sunderland 4

Bolton 3

Brentford 3

Ipswich 3

PNE 3

Reading 3

Barnsley 2

Burton 2

Millwall 2

QPR 2

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leeds-televised-more-brentford-fulham-14154851

WhiteJC

Report: Tottenham indicate they will pay £25m for Ryan Sessegnon - but will that be enough?

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly prepared to pay £25million to land Ryan Sessegnon.

According to The Mirror, Tottenham Hotspur have indicated that they are willing to pay £25million to land Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon.

Sessegnon, 17, has come up through the ranks with Fulham, and has quickly become a first-team star at Craven Cottage, notching seven goals in 30 games last season.

This term, the teenager has hit another seven goals in 27 Championship outings, as he continues to impress under Slavisa Jokanovic in West London.

Unsurprisingly, Sessegnon's performances have attracted major interest, and some of the Premier League's biggest clubs have been linked with his signature – most prominently Tottenham Hotspur.

The Mirror now report that Spurs have indicated they are prepared to pay £25million to land Sessegnon, but Fulham are standing firm and refusing to sell in the January transfer window.

Spurs may well leave that offer on the table for the summer transfer window, with Sessegnon – a left wing back who can also play further forward – seen as a potentially ideal replacement for Danny Rose.

Unsurprisingly, Sessegnon's performances have attracted major interest, and some of the Premier League's biggest clubs have been linked with his signature – most prominently Tottenham Hotspur.

The Mirror now report that Spurs have indicated they are prepared to pay £25million to land Sessegnon, but Fulham are standing firm and refusing to sell in the January transfer window.

Spurs may well leave that offer on the table for the summer transfer window, with Sessegnon – a left wing back who can also play further forward – seen as a potentially ideal replacement for Danny Rose.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/14/report-tottenham-indicate-they-will-pay-25m-for-ryan-sessegnon-b/

WhiteJC

Fredericks happy to stay at Fulham
by Dan on January 14, 2018

Fulham full-back Ryan Fredericks has insisted he is happy at Craven Cottage and is solely focused on helping the Whites move up the Championship table as they try and mount a promotion push for the second successive season.

The 25 year-old, whose current Fulham contract expires in the summer, has been linked extensively with a move to Stoke City or Swansea City – although, contrary to media reports, his current employers have not received an offer from either Premier League club for his services. Speaking to GetWestLondon's Ryan O'Donovan after helping Fulham record a vital win at Middlesbrough yesterday, Fredericks said he was concentrating on his playing performances and was happy to leave the contract renegotiations to his representatives.

I'm happy here, I've said it all along. My contract situation is getting sorted behind closed doors and the relevant people are trying to sort that now, I'm not too sure what is going to happen, but whilst I'm a Fulham player, be it one year, two years, three years, whatever it is, I will give my all in the shirt whenever I step onto the pitch.

The attacking right back, whose primary reason for signing for Fulham after a brief spell at Bristol City in August 2015 was because he felt homesick outside of the capital, is desperate to try and ensure Slavisa Jokanovic's side return to the top flight. The Whites sit just a single point outside the play-off positions following their late win at the Riverside Stadium yesterday and Fredericks hopes Fulham can go further than last term, when they were knocked out at the semi-final stage by Reading.

You couldn't get any better than that. Promotion with any team is amazing. It would be my third season here, so hopefully third team lucky.

Fulham have insisted that they won't be selling their key players during the January transfer window and are focused on strengthening Jokanovic's squad over the course of this month. The 25 year-old defender, who has firmly established himself as the club's first choice at right back, has made 93 appearances for the Cottagers and his marauding forward runs have made him a vital contributor at both ends of the pitch for the Whites.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/fredericks-happy-to-stay-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

U-18s: Arsenal 2-2 Fulham - Report

WHAT HAPPENED

Robbie Burton struck a late equaliser as we came from two goals down to secure a point against Fulham at London Colney.

After a tense opening 20 minutes, in which neither side could create many opportunities, the visitors edged into the lead, courtesy of an unfortunate own goal from Vontae Daley-Campbell.

Soon after, Fulham doubled their lead when Timmy Abraham was quick to react following a scramble in the box, poking the ball past Joao Virginia in goal.

In search of a route back into the game, we created a good chance for Trae Coyle, who couldn't quite apply the finishing touch after meeting Tyreece John-Jules' smart flick.

With just moments until the half-time break, Fulham very nearly handed us a goal when a stray pass fell to John-Jules, who was only able to drill his shot wide of the mark.

Following the break, we reduced the deficit when Xavier Amaechi blasted in from the edge of the area, adding to his collection of impressive strikes so far this season.

Now in the ascendancy and pushing for an equaliser, Coyle came close once more, this time striking the crossbar, after linking up well with Burton and Amaechi.

With the full-time whistle nearing, we drew level when Burton fired a stunning strike in following a corner.

WHAT IT MEANS

We stretch our unbeaten run to seven games, but the result leaves us six points behind league leaders Chelsea.

WHAT'S NEXT

We travel to Anfield to face Liverpool in the FA Youth Cup fourth round next Saturday.

Copyright 2018 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source.

Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/fixture/under-18/2018-Jan-13/under-18-fulham-fc-under-18-match-report#WZrSOsxd0T56op3L.99

WhiteJC

Sessegnon has more goals in 30 minutes than Traore has in three seasons - Fulham fans hit back at Middlesbrough

There has been a bit of a Twitter debate about who is better Adama Traore or Ryan Sessegnon

Lady Luck was on Fulham's side at the weekend as they edged to a last-gasp 1-0 win away at Middlesbrough, courtesy of Oliver Norwood's injury-time penalty.

Boro spurned a number of gilt-edged chances in the first half and were punished with the late spot-kick.

Much of the talk in the aftermath of the game was of the duel between Adama Traore and Ryan Sessegnon.

Seventeen-year-old Sessegnon is a transfer target of the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool, but, playing a left-back in the first half, was given a rough ride by the pace and power of Traore.

Boro fans were out in force on social networking site Twitter to question the £50 million price tag on the teenager's head, asking what the Spanish man would be worth if Boro were looking to sell.

However, the Fulham fans were not going to let their young talent be talked about in such a way and they have fought back, mentioning Traore's lack of end product as the reason why Sessegnon is rated higher.

Traore has failed to score in any of his 49 games for Middlesbrough since joining them at the start of last season, while he onle hit the back of the net once in 12 appearances for Aston Villa - a League Cup tie against Notts County in 2015.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sessegnon-more-goals-30-minutes-14155243

WhiteJC

Craig Cathcart and Matt Targett to sign for Fulham – Slavisa Jokanovic's ideal transfer window explored

Craig Cathcart and Matt Targett to sign for Fulham – Slavisa Jokanovic's ideal transfer window explored

What to say about Fulham. I hate being a broken record, so just as a brief précis for any new readers my main gripes are; Jokanovic still sees Ryan Sessegnon as a left-back (he is too good for that) and he has changed the 4-2-3-1 from last season which works for the players he has, especially Tom Cairney.

The West Londoners have recovered of late, mostly when Sessegnon can play further forward of course, now sitting just three points off a play-off place in 10th place and placing themselves almost on par with where they were this time last year.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic has challenged Fulham to sack him amidst rows concerning the fact that he knows the players who can do improve the team but that the board will not sign them.

I don't know whether these are board targets or Jokanovic targets of course, but Matt Targett (Southampton), Aden Flint (Bristol City), Craig Cathcart (Watford), Ben Marshall (Wolves) and Dwight Gayle (Newcastle) have all been rumoured to be within Fulham's crosshairs this window, with Sessegnon still a confirmed target for Tottenham.

Knowing what we know now, I would doubt Aden Flint would be leaving Bristol City to join another Championship side anytime soon and it could prove crucial for the Cottagers to keep hold of Ryan Sessegnon for one more window and get him up the park where he belongs.

Ryan Sessegnon

To achieve that, they'll need a proper left-back in order to finally replace Scott Malone and so signing Matt Targett would be quite a coup, given that he appears to be of Premier League quality.

Kalas and Ream are both solid at the back, but with Targett at left-back, Sessegnon down the wing and Cairney in full flow, it would be prudent to add another good passer from centre-back to keep this attacking theme going and so a return for Craig Cathcart from Watford would be a positive for sure.

The club still needs a proper No.9 too and should Rafa Benitez eventually have a new striker signing sanctioned at Newcastle, then the proven Championship goalscoring prowess of Dwight Gayle would be huge for Fulham and for me, he would make them the most dangerous side other than Wolves, for the remainder of the season.

Keeping Sessegnon then along with adding Cathcart, Targett and Gayle would represent an outstanding window for Jokanovic and Fulham, making them a real force once again in this division's top six.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/01/15/craig-cathcart-and-matt-targett-to-sign-for-fulham-slavisa-jokanovics-ideal-transfer-window-explored/

WhiteJC

MIDDLESBROUGH: Boro seek clarification over appointment of Sunderland referee for Fulham game

MIDDLESBROUGH are ready to seek clarification over whether a self-confessed Sunderland fan should have been allowed to referee Saturday's controversial defeat to Fulham at the Riverside Stadium.

Geoff Eltringham, a former season ticket holder at the Stadium of Light before being added to the national list in 2009, was at the centre of a couple of massive penalty shouts which ultimately determined the outcome on Teesside.

While Eltringham's integrity is not being questioned by Middlesbrough officials, there has still been an outcry on social media among the club's supporters wondering how a Black Cats supporter can officiate a Boro match.

Sources close to Middlesbrough have suggested they are considering an approach to the Professional Game Match Officials' chief Mike Riley to find out what the rules are when deciding who to put in the middle for matches.

The PGMO, the Football League and Premier League does not usually consider factors such as a referee officiating a game that could have implications for a club he supports or one of its local rivals. They do not, though, pick referees to take charge of matches involving a team he supports.

There was a national story in April 2016 when Kevin Friend was replaced for Tottenham's match with Stoke City following criticism on social media because he was a self-confessed Leicester City fan; the Foxes and Spurs were battling it out for the Premier League title.

It is not the first time Eltringham has overseen a Middlesbrough game either; he was in the middle when Garry Monk's side turned in the best performance of the season to win 3-0 at Bolton on September 9. He also replaced Rob Jones for the second half in the 2-0 win over Ipswich on December 9.

But the manner of the 1-0 defeat to Fulham on Saturday has led to criticism from Middlesbrough supporters, while the players were clearly aggrieved about the two big penalty calls on the day too.

On the hour Eltringham waved play on when Martin Braithwaite was man-handled and shoved to the floor by Fulham defender Tomas Kalas.

Then, with the last attack of the game and the scoreline goalless, the referee pointed to the spot when Oliver Norwood went to ground under a challenge from Grant Leadbitter.

Middlesbrough boss Tony Pulis said: "Looking at the Braithwaite penalty, it is a really disappointing decision."

The big thing with managers in professional football, we understand that referees will make mistakes but mistakes affect matches and they should then be called into question. You would love to ask the referee why he didn't give that as a penalty.  "It has happened to me loads of times and this is another of those occasions. The disappointing thing is that they then get a penalty at the end which was harder to call than the one that we had. Yet he blew straight away and didn't even think about it. That's why it is difficult to take, he has his reasons why. I have said afterwards I was really disappointed."

Leadbitter's foot did touch the boot of Norwood, who then converted the winner himself, but the fact he Eltringham had dismissed the appeals for a spot-kick half an hour earlier was what really annoyed the Middlesbrough camp.

Pulis said: "The player falls before Grant touches him. The big thing in football at the moment, I have seen it a few times, is when legs tend to buckle without any challenge being made.  "It's difficult for referees to get right, it's difficult for people involved in the game to get it right, but my disappointment was I think we had a stonebanker penalty and were not given it – yet he has given that second one and given it straightaway.  "The difference between the two incidents ... I would love to speak with him to see what he has seen. Referees are allowed to make mistakes, we all make mistakes, our players have made mistakes, our players have missed opportunities and chances that you'd expect them to put away. It's not all down to the referee."

Middlesbrough fan and former Premier League referee Jeff Winter sympathised with Eltringham. He Tweeted: "I have been and always will be a devoted Boro fan, didn't stop me refereeing Sunderland, Newcastle and Leeds games. Integrity and professionalism overrides supporters' bias. We lost because we couldn't score goals."

While Pulis was clearly frustrated with the crucial penalty decisions he also accepts that Middlesbrough had themselves to blame for a number of missed opportunities.

Rudy Gestede, Braithwaite and Britt Assombalonga all missed fantastic chances to put Middlesbrough in the driving seat long before Norwood had sent goalkeeper Darren Randolph the wrong way in the fifth minute of added time.

Pulis added: "The biggest disappointment is that the opportunities and chances we created, we should be away ... you'd expect the players in the team to take those chances.  "I am disappointed because I thought we were the better team, especially in the first-half when we created enough chances to be three or four up by half-time. Fulham didn't do anything to hurt us in that first half. We were the dominant force. We didn't play as well in the second half.  "The biggest disappointment is for the chances we created, you would expect the players we have in the team to take those chances. If we had scored the first goal, I think we would have won it comfortably.

"Fulham are a good footballing team and I think they have gone away from here having won but without really creating anything against us.  "They are a team with big numbers, they beat Ipswich by four or five the other week. We needed a goal and if we had scored the first I think we would have gone onto win it in the end. They are always costly misses in the end."

Pulis is looking to move players on this month to reduce the size of the squad and to enable him to bring his own signings in. Chelsea youngster Lewis Baker looks certain to return to Stamford Bridge early from his loan, while Adam Forshaw was a notable absentee again against Fulham.

It has also emerged Ipswich are interested in signing Adlene Guedioura, who has been left out of the last couple of squads after being handed an instant recall for Pulis' first couple of matches in charge. Middlesbrough were linked with Hibernian midfielder Jim McGinn over the weekend.

Middlesbrough will head to Queens Park Rangers next week looking for the result that will put them back in the mix to climb into a play-off spot, having been overtaken by Fulham in the battle for a top six place.

The penalty incidents might have caused a stir on Teesside but from a Cottagers point of view there was satisfaction all round – even if Fulham defender Tim Ream thinks Video Assistant Referees (VAR) should be introduced outside the Premier League too if it is eventually given the go-ahead.

"Yes, I think so, as long as it doesn't slow games down too much it's something that I think could definitely be introduced," said Ream. "The more help officials can get the better because it's hard for referees to get all the major decisions correct and a little help couldn't hurt.

"I've seen both the penalties given so while I won't say we're fortunate, it was nice to see it wasn't given this time round. It just shows how difficult it is for referees, and for them to call things with the naked eye is very difficult."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/15827253.MIDDLESBROUGH__Boro_seek_clarification_over_appointment_of_Sunderland_referee_for_Fulham_game/