News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it fair to assess a players football career this way...

Started by General, January 16, 2018, 08:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

In what amounted to 3 seasons at Fulham Michael madl played 32 times as a sub and starter. So all the money paid and the time he spent with us was and all for a sum total of 32 days of difference making work, where he as a player influenced or could influence what the team does and essentially what the club is about.

Obviously squad depth and keeping other starting players competitive on the side lines is important and he clearly was well regarded even if not given much game time... but is it a sign of how dillusional football is as a sport for the fact that a player can

1) earn so much
2) take up so much of our spare time in conversations

And all the rest, when all he did at a maximum for the club in tangible terms and in terms of his own career and what he'll put on his cv, was play a maximum of roughly 32 x 90 minutes.

That's just about a month of games back to back, which in comparison normally sees us play three games a week.

General

That's roughly 48 hours of football played over what equates to 3 years..

grandad

He is but one of thousands of players in the same situation.
Where there's a will there's a wife

General

Quote from: grandad on January 16, 2018, 08:41:50 PM

I know that... that doesn't really address the question

Southcoastffc

In answer to the question posed in the title, no, it's not a fair question. Players do more than you, perhaps disingenuously, suggest.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

HatterDon

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 16, 2018, 08:59:03 PM
In answer to the question posed in the title, no, it's not a fair question. Players do more than you, perhaps disingenuously, suggest.

agree
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cmg

Quote from: General on January 16, 2018, 08:44:53 PM

There isn't really that much of a question, is there?
This is what he did. No more: no less.
He was a decent, well-liked, professional. A marginal player on a second tier team. He has represented his country as a full international.
How one views this in the greater scheme of things is up to the individual.

My view? For what it's worth. As someone who failed to make any impact on the game he loved, I think he has done something to be immensely proud of. He has made a career in professional sport where millions have failed.
Compared to the usual suspects he is very small fry indeed; in a few years time he will have been largely forgotten. But he will have made a mark in an insanely competitive area.
All sports teams need back-up men, Madl was one of those for us. Perhaps he will go on to greater things elsewhere.

It always makes me smile when fans denigrate players (I am not suggesting that anyone is trying to denigrate Madl here), some of whom have tens of caps or more  for their country and I think how wonderful it must be to be thought good enough to play even once, as Michael Madl was, for one's country.

aaronmcguigan

What's to say someone like Michael Madl hasn't helped Ream become a better player? What's to say he hasn't influenced the development of Sess? What's to say he hasn't helped team morale when we were down in 17th earlier in the season? What's to say he didn't help the guys in pre season when the club visited his home country?

There's a lot of intangible ways a player can make a difference if he isn't playing? Look at Piazon or Bettinellis social media pages to see how highly thought of Madl was, he's clearly been a positive influence on at least 2 of our current first teamers.

Twig

I read the OP and thought; well at least that's a slightly left field way of looking at things. But of course, it doesn't add up. As others here have already said it is unreasonable to reduce someone's career to their appearance time.  Actors, sportsmen .... what about high court judges are we to only take account of their time adjudicating or firemen firefighting? The list is endless.

Good luck M Madl, seems to have been a decent, professional person and hardly his fault he wasn't picked more often.  I do understand that the OP was not making any such suggestion, more of a "has the world gone mad" kind of observation. And I guess there is an element of truth to that!

Snibbo

Quote from: cmg on January 16, 2018, 09:12:15 PM
Quote from: General on January 16, 2018, 08:44:53 PM

There isn't really that much of a question, is there?
This is what he did. No more: no less.
He was a decent, well-liked, professional. A marginal player on a second tier team. He has represented his country as a full international.
How one views this in the greater scheme of things is up to the individual.

My view? For what it's worth. As someone who failed to make any impact on the game he loved, I think he has done something to be immensely proud of. He has made a career in professional sport where millions have failed.
Compared to the usual suspects he is very small fry indeed; in a few years time he will have been largely forgotten. But he will have made a mark in an insanely competitive area.
All sports teams need back-up men, Madl was one of those for us. Perhaps he will go on to greater things elsewhere.

It always makes me smile when fans denigrate players (I am not suggesting that anyone is trying to denigrate Madl here), some of whom have tens of caps or more  for their country and I think how wonderful it must be to be thought good enough to play even once, as Michael Madl was, for one's country.
Well said  :clap_hands:

toshes mate

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 16, 2018, 08:59:03 PM
+1

toshes mate

Quote from: cmg on January 16, 2018, 09:12:15 PM

A much more thoughtful description of a professional footballer's life. 

Cannot footballers enjoy training for and playing the game even if it isn't being watched by more than a handful of people? One of my neighbour's kids always had a ball at his feet, was really good close control and when he was close to sixteen and looking for work I suggested he seek a trial with a local club.  That club didn't pick him out but someone else did and offered him a further trial.  He just loved doing what he loved doing and getting paid for it was a bonus.

Holders

His time with us will have been a disappointing period in Madl's life. Football is a short career and I wish him success on his return to his native country where I hope he finishes his career on a high. Besides, London or Wien is surely a no-brainer! Ich wuensche ihm viel Glueck.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

rubbernecca

Quote from: Newry FFC on January 16, 2018, 10:31:58 PM
What's to say someone like Michael Madl hasn't helped Ream become a better player? What's to say he hasn't influenced the development of Sess? What's to say he hasn't helped team morale when we were down in 17th earlier in the season? What's to say he didn't help the guys in pre season when the club visited his home country?

There's a lot of intangible ways a player can make a difference if he isn't playing? Look at Piazon or Bettinellis social media pages to see how highly thought of Madl was, he's clearly been a positive influence on at least 2 of our current first teamers.

+1

filham

It is a funny feature of the modern professional game that there just has to be so many players bench warming and not featuring in matches.
We now seem to use a total of about 30 players a season trying to find a good team. In the good old days we used nearer 15.

hovewhite

He's been blessed good enough to represent his country that's precious for anybody,how many on here at anything have done it?not me for a start!