more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (17/01/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 17, 2018, 07:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney's form this season makes West Brom's £12m bid a gamble

West Bromwich Albion are keen to sign Fulham talisman Tom Cairney and have made an opening bid.

According to a report from the Daily Mirror, West Brom are planning to kick their January transfer window into life by making a £12 million bid for Fulham playmaker Tom Cairney.

With the Baggies still in the bottom three in the Premier League, it is crucial that they enjoy a positive window, and the importance of getting their transfer targets right surely increases with the Daily Mail recently reporting that they need to sell some of their players before they can buy.

Perhaps sensing that some money may be coming in, West Brom have made a £12 million offer for Cairney, and the Mirror reports that they could be willing to increase that bid to £15 million.

Given their financial restrictions, it may not be a surprise if the 26-year-old therefore becomes their one marquee permanent addition if they manage to convince the Cottagers to sell - and that arguably makes the move a gamble.

Cairney has been excellent in the Championship, and had the bid come in for him during the summer, £12 million or £15 million would have looked like an absolute steal for the Baggies, with the former Blackburn man scoring 13 times and providing 10 assists in the league to help inspire Fulham to the play-offs.

However, this term, while he has still looked impressive, his goal and assist returns do not jump off the page anywhere near as much, with one goal and two assists in the Championship for Slavisa Jokanovic's men.

He has proved that he can be prolific in having a direct hand in goals so there is every chance that Alan Pardew could be pulling off an inspired deal if they do manage to get something done.

But perhaps there should be a few more questions right now regarding whether he is the right player to spend presumably a large chunk of their budget on when their position in the top flight is so precarious.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/16/tom-cairneys-form-this-season-makes-west-broms-12m-bid-a-gamble/

WhiteJC

Do the stats suggest Fulham have done better with or without Tom Cairney this season?

We took a look at the stats to see how Fulham have done with and without their key man this season

Tom Cairney's injury problems this season has seen Fulham take to the pitch without their captain more times than they'd hoped at the start of the season.

The skipper has played in just 17 games so far this season, missing 11 of their games since a knee problem in pre-season started to cause the midfielder trouble.

There's been interest in the skipper from West Brom, although GetWestLondon understands no bids has been received and Fulham still retain their stance that no key players will be leaving this winter .

It's clear to the naked eye how much Fulham miss Cairney when he doesn't play - his ability in the middle of the park is unparalleled and he is arguably the Cottagers' best player, but what do the raw stats say?

Well, the team have won 41% of games he has played in in the league, losing and drawing 29.5% of those.

Without him, they've won around the same percentage, at 45%, drawing 36% of those but losing just 18%.

The raw stats show that there isn't too much of a difference to the points gained when Fulham are without their star man, although looking beyond that the performances haven't been as slick as they have been when he's in the side.

Slavisa Jokanovic is hoping the captain will be fit to take on Burton Albion on Saturday as the side return to the Cottage.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-suggest-fulham-done-better-14160768

WhiteJC

Key Fulham man set to snub Premier League interest to sign new deal at Craven Cottage

Ryan Fredericks is set to snub a move to Swansea City and sign a new contract at Fulham, according to reports in the local media.

Get West London is reporting that Fredericks is content at Fulham and is happy to sign a new deal rather than move to Swansea.

The 25-year-old was a top target for Carlos Carvalhal at Swansea as he looks to bolster his squad and keep them up in the Premier League.

Fredericks is quoted by Get West London as saying:

"I'm happy here, I've said it all along. My contract situation is getting sorted behind closed doors and the relevant people are trying to sort that now, I'm not too sure what is going to happen, but whilst I'm a Fulham player, be it one year, two years, three years, whatever it is, I will give my all in the shirt whenever I step onto the pitch.

"You couldn't get any better than that [ending the season being promoted with Fulham] promotion with any team is amazing so it would be my third season here, so hopefully third time lucky."

Fredericks started his career at Tottenham Hotspur, making just four appearances – all of which were in the Europa League – before his permanent move to Bristol City in 2015.

However, the former England youth international spent less than a month with the Robins before moving back to London to join Fulham.

The 25-year-old has since made just shy of 100 appearances for the Cottagers and now looks set to pen a new deal and stay despite Premier League interest.

The Verdict

Fulham have maintained that their best players are not for sale. As well as keeping Fredericks, they will want to hold onto Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon this summer despite Premier League interest. But Fredericks' comments will put Fulham fans at ease.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/key-fulham-man-set-to-snub-premier-league-interest-to-sign-new-deal-at-craven-cottage/

WhiteJC

Fulham still want Dwight Gayle - and may finance bid by selling long-term Newcastle target Cairney

Newcastle United rebuffed Fulham's advances for Dwight Gayle in the summer, but the Cottagers are reportedly still keen on him

Dwight Gayle (Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

Newcastle United forward Dwight Gayle continues to be linked with a £15million move to Championship side Fulham.

The Cottagers launched a bid for the 27-year-old during the final week of the summer window, but Newcastle rebuffed their advances once it became clear Rafa Benitez would not be able to sign a replacement before the deadline.

However, Fulham are desperate to acquire a proven Championship goal-scorer and Gayle - who netted 23 times last season to help fire the Magpies to the second-tier title - remains top of their wanted list.

Interestingly, The Guardian claims that the Cottagers will come to Newcastle with a big-money offer for Gayle if long-term Magpies target Tom Cairney joins West Bromwich Albion.

The Sun reports that former United manager Alan Pardew, who is now Baggies boss, has launched a £12m bid for Fulham midfielder Cairney - but that he is willing to pay up to £15m for the Scotland international.

It is claimed that, should Fulham agree to sell the 26-year-old - who Newcastle enquired about signing both last January and during the summer, but baulked at the Cottagers' then-£20m asking price - then they will use that money to finance a move for Gayle.

Benitez is keen to bring in another striker this month but is unwilling to allow any of his first-team squad to depart until replacements are signed.

Several loan enquiries have already been received for Aleksandar Mitrovic, but Benitez will not allow both the Serbian and Gayle to depart - even if an additional striker is signed - given that he has just three senior forwards currently at his disposal.

Gayle has scored just three goals in 20 Premier League appearances this season.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/fulham-still-want-dwight-gayle-14160816

WhiteJC

Omogbehin: Fair Result

Fulham drew 2-2 away at the Arsenal FC Training Centre on Saturday morning. The Young Whites went two goals ahead in the first half, but a strong second half display from the Gunners saw them draw level.

"In all honesty that was a fair result," commented Under-18 Head Coach Colin Omogbehin after the match.

"The first half we controlled possession even though Arsenal had some opportunities. I thought that maybe one or two times our final pass let us down.

"In the second half the game was played a lot in our half but we stuck at it. The boys were resilient, very compact and difficult to break down.

"When you have that much pressure against you, at some stage in the game you might end up conceding and unfortunately for us, we did.

"We like to control possession when we play and that's a big part of our philosophy at the Club. 

"The boys understand the other side of the game, that sometimes when you're going through periods and you're not in-control of possession, you've got to make sure you are organised and difficult to play against. I thought we needed that a number of times through the day."

Both goals came from corners, the first was an own goal as Jose Garrido put pressure on the Arsenal defence, and the second Chris Kelly brought the ball down and slipped Timmy Abraham in.

"We've scored from two set pieces", he said. "We haven't really done that all season, even though we are a threat at set pieces. We've got boys that can attack the ball, that are good sizes.

"So that was pleasing to see because it was going to be difficult from open play. Set pieces are another way for us to score.

The Young Whites next travel to South Wales to take on Swansea on Wednesday evening in a 7pm kick off.

"Swansea is our next trip in the FA Youth Cup and it's a fixture I'm looking forward to. We owe them, we played them just before Christmas and lost, they're another good side.

"They like to set up and drop deep, they're compact so it will be an opportunity for us to have lots of the ball and find a way to break them down.

"With the players we have got, I'm sure we will be successful in doing that and I look forward to it."
Related Content
U18 Match Action: Arsenal

Watch the highlights as the Young Whites came home with a well earned point.
U18s: Arsenal 2-2 Fulham

The Young Whites went ahead by two goals in the first half, but Arsenal mounted a comeback as the points were shared.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/16/omogbehin-fair-result

WhiteJC

Report: West Brom signing Tom Cairney could see Dwight Gayle leave Newcastle United

West Bromwich Albion are set to make Fulham's Tom Cairney their top target, which could have ramifications for fellow Premier League strugglers Newcastle.

Tom Cairney could be heading to the Premier League with or without Fulham.

The Cottagers have risen to eighth in the Championship table, one point shy of the play-offs, but their star man could be playing in the top flight as early as February with West Brom lining up an ambitious bid.

According to The Sun, Alan Pardew is a big fan of last year's EFL Player of the Year and The Baggies are offering £12 million to sign him this month. West Brom will put up to £15 million on the table if Fulham reject their opening bid.

Cairney looked close to leaving Fulham in the summer for Newcastle United but, after the Londoners slapped a £20 million price-tag on his head, any suggestions that he could leave Craven Cottage soon disappeared.

And with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley unwilling to back manager Rafa Benitez in the transfer market, it seems unlikely that The Magpies have a hope of renewing their interest with the bidding starting at £12 million. However Cairney's potential exit could still have ramifications for Newcastle this month.

Because The Guardian states that Fulham will use the money raised from the Scottish play-maker's move to fund a new approach for Magpies' number nine Dwight Gayle.

The Sun stated that Fulham made a stunning £18 million bid for Gayle on transfer deadline day and, with the goals drying up for Slavisa Jokanovic's side, it is no surprise that they are still keen to land a player who scored 23 Championship goals last season.

And if Newcastle receive another offer in the ballpark of £18 million for Gayle, surely they will consider cashing in to raise funds for January additions.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/16/do-report-west-brom-signing-tom-cairney-could-see-dwight-gayle-l/

WhiteJC

U18s Travel To Swansea

Fulham's Under-18s travel to Swansea City on Wednesday 17th January to play in a 7pm kick off at the Landore Training Ground for the Fourth Round of the FA Youth Cup.

To get to this stage of the prestigious youth cup, Fulham had to get past Huddersfield Town in the Third Round.

The match finished 1-1 after the Young Whites scored within 15 seconds through Chris Kelly.

Fulham dramatically won on penalties after an expert display between the sticks by Luca Ashby-Hammond.

Swansea had to navigate their way past Chesterfield FC in their previous tie, winning 2-0 at home.

This weekend Fulham drew 2-2 in an away trip to Arsenal, with two first half goals coming from set pieces.

Jose Garrido pressured the Arsenal defence into an own goal, before a Timmy Abraham strike doubled the Young Whites' advantage, but the Gunners mounted a second half comeback.

The Young Whites will be looking to win within 90 minute, but having draw six out of their last seven matches, extra-time and penalties might just be a possibility.

Fulham have played Swansea twice this year already in the Premier League South. Back in August, Fulham salvaged a draw with a last minute goal from Cameron Thompson.

More recently just before the Christmas break the Swans won 2-1 at Motspur Park.

"It's a fixture I'm looking forward to," commented Head Coach Colin Omogbehin. "We owe them, we played them just before Christmas and lost, they're another good side.

"They like to set up and drop deep, they're compact so it will be an opportunity for us to have lots of the ball and find a way to break them down.

"With the players we have got I'm sure we will be successful in doing that and I look forward to it."

You can follow the action with our live updates on the Club's official twitter account, @FulhamFC.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/16/u18s-travel-to-swansea

WhiteJC

FFCF Matchday Shirts

Following the success of Fulham Foundation's Official Charity Matchday against Birmingham City in December, signed, match-worn shirts are now available for fans to bid on.

Supporters can place bids for shirts via the silent auction, with all funds going to the Foundation's disability provision in the community. The auction will remain open until 1st February 2018 at 11.59pm. In the event that multiple bids are made at the same value, the Foundation will contact bidders for a final offer.

The starting price for each shirt is £200 GBP. One match-worn shirt is available for each starting player, and the three substitutes who came on in our 1-0 win against Blues, in which Sheyi Ojo scored the winner. (Signed by individual player only).

Using the form below, choose the player whose shirt you want, and state the amount you'd like bid, along with your contact details. Good luck!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/16/ffcf-matchday-shirts

WhiteJC

Oh Bobby Zamora
by Lydia on January 16, 2018

It's Bobby Zamora's 37th birthday today so in celebration of the striker's 37 goals for Fulham I thought that I would have a look back over his time on the banks of the Thames and pick out a few of my favourite strikes.

Roy Hodgson had a real knack of bringing in players and getting more from them than they had ever given and the double signing of John Pantsil and Bobby Zamora from West Ham in 2008 was just another example of that. Pantsil became a fan favourite quickly for his energetic displays alongside his frequent lap of honour after every home game victory, but it took Zamora a bit longer to feel the love. He scored only 4 goals in the 2008/09 season with us and a lot of fans had him down as a bit of a flop. The turning point came the year after he signed when Fulham and Hull City had agreed a £5million transfer fee but for the striker himself to turn down the move in favour of remaining at Fulham. And what a decision it proved to be for both player and club!

The 2009/10 season will live long in the memories of Fulham fans thanks to our remarkable run in the Europa League that saw us narrowly lose out on the silverware because of a deflected Diego Forlan strike well into extra-time. Although an ankle injury hampered Zamora's chances in the final, it is fair to say that we wouldn't have made it that far if it wasn't for the goals and general play of our big front man. His seemingly telepathic partnership with both Clint Dempsey and Zoltan Gera proved lethal and many a defence struggled to handle him. It wasn't just his knack of scoring important and impressive goals, it was his hold up play and strength that made him so difficult to play against. The more I think about it, the more I think that it is a Zamora-esque player that we are missing in attack this season. But it is a reminder that we shouldn't be too quick to judge the strikers we have in our possession this year. Zamora only netted 4 times in his first season with us while one Aboubakar Kamara, who would probably be even stronger than Zamora, already has 6 this season.

I've tried to refresh my memory of each of Zamora's goals and have picked out a few of my favourites. Looking back, it's no surprise that he pushed his way into the England ranks during his time with us! So here you go, in no particular order-

Fulham 2-1 Bolton- last minute freekick to seal the win (21st February 2010)

As is normal with teams playing in Europe on a Thursday night, Fulham really struggled in the opening half against Bolton Wanderers at the Cottage and went into the break 1-0 down. Bolton who were struggling to get out of the relegation zone must have thought Christmas had come around again when Chris Baird accidentally helped them on their way to a 1-nil lead but Fulham turned it around after the break. But it wasn't until Bobby Zamora's expertly despatched 20-yard free kick into the top corner in the dying seconds of the game that points were confirmed.

Fulham 4-1 Juventus- Bobby Zamora equalises early on (18th March 2010)

Picture the scene; 4-1 (on aggregate) down against a European giant meaning that all seemed lost when Bobby Zamora shows incredible poise in the box to spark a remarkable comeback. I remember that night so well, but I very nearly missed it! My Granda came every Thursday night for tea so my mum refused to let 17 year-old Lydia watch the game until dinner was finished. It's fair to say that I have never eaten so fast and managed to turn the TV on just as Zamora caught the ball on his chest to set himself before rifling an effort past Chimenti. Beautiful stuff.

Wolfsburg 0-1 Fulham- Zamora goal after 21seconds (8th April 2010)

With Wolfsburg having gained a vital away goal in the previous tie, Fulham's slender lead against the German Champions was fragile indeed. But Zamora decided that he wanted to ease the pressure early, and boy did he, after just 21seconds of the away tie. The way he spun in the box leaving poor Jan Simunak for dead before delicately passing into the bottom right hand corner of the goal was brilliant. It was a goal of pure skill, and sent Fulham into the Europa League Semi-finals.

Fulham 6-0 Port Vale- Zamora blasts in from a tight angle (25 August 2010)

I know it was against lower league opposition, but this goal was superb. Delightful build-up play from Fulham and a two-one between Gera and Zamora left the big striker nearly at the by-line but when everyone in the ground thought that he was going to cross, he decided to thunder the ball into the far corner of the goal from a very tight angle leaving the keeper with no chance. Magic.

Fulham 2-1 Shakhtar Donetsk- 25yard driven shot to put Fulham ahead (18 February 2010)

This goal was everything good about Bobby Zamora. Precision, poise and power. Again Zoltan Gera had a part to play when he flicked the ball between his legs for Zamora to run on to. But when everyone thought the striker would take a touch, he unleashed a powerful drive that went into the back of the net off the crossbar. Cue limbs from all around Craven Cottage.

Some fantastic memories in there. Even though his last couple of seasons with Fulham were plagued with injury, he gave us enough memories to last a lifetime. Happy Birthday, Bobby Zamora!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/01/oh-bobby-zamora-2/

WhiteJC

Madl Departs

The Club can confirm that Michael Madl has joined Austria Vienna on a permanent deal, for an undisclosed fee.

The centre-back initially arrived at Fulham on loan midway through the 2015/16 season, making his debut in the 3-1 victory at local rivals Queens Park Rangers.

A week later he scored his sole goal for the Whites in a 3-0 win over Charlton Athletic at Craven Cottage, and after making 13 appearances his move was made permanent in the summer of 2016.

He departs SW6 having represented the Whites 32 times, and everyone at Fulham would like to thank him for his efforts over the past two years, and wish him the very best of luck back at the club where he started his career.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/16/michael-madl-departs

WhiteJC

Michael Madl: Fulham offload defender to Austria Vienna

Michael Madl's last league appearance for Fulham came in April 2017

Defender Michael Madl has left Championship side Fulham to join Austria Vienna for an undisclosed fee.

The 29-year-old has not featured for the Whites in the league this season, with his two senior appearances coming in the Carabao Cup in August.

Austria international Madl moved to Craven Cottage on loan from Sturm Graz in January 2016 and agreed a permanent switch that summer.

The centre-back scored one goal in 32 games during his spell in west London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42705657

WhiteJC

Report: West Bromwich Albion must sell before buying Fulham's Tom Cairney

West Bromwich Albion have been linked with a move for Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney.

Sky Sports understands that West Bromwich Albion have not made a bid for Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney and must sell before they can buy in this transfer window.

The leading news outlet had previously reported that the Baggies had lodged a £15m offer for the Cottagers captain, although contact has been made regarding his availability.

Albion manager Alan Pardew will want to strengthen this January to lift the club out of the relegation zone but appears as though he will be operating under financial restrictions.

West Brom only have the funds to bring in one signing on loan, and will have to raise money by offloading players if they want to bid for anybody this month, according to Sky Sports.

Sky Sports adds that Albion have made a number of approaches for players to sound out targets but it seems that any incomings will have to wait until the final days of the window.

Cairney has been one of the most influential midfielders in the Championship in recent seasons, scoring 12 goals and providing 11 assists last term, so Fulham will want to keep him.

The 26-year-old, who has previously played for Hull City and Blackburn Rovers and won his first international cap for Scotland in 2017, would bring much-needed creativity to Albion's midfield.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/16/report-west-bromwich-albion-must-sell-before-buying-fulhams-tom/

WhiteJC

Fulham's bid to sign £10m striker would be good for all parties involved – agreed?

Nelson Oliveira

Fulham's bid to sign Nelson Oliveira would be good for all parties involved – agreed?
Championship promotion hopefuls Fulham are said to be monitoring the situation of Nelson Oliveira at Norwich City, but would this be a good move for the Londoners?

The Portuguese frontman has already been the subject of a £8million bid from Derby County who themselves are missing a No.9 to get them over the line and into the Premier League, though that move is far from concluded, leaving the door still ajar.

The Rams know full well that they are not the only club interested in Oliveira's services, Fulham having also not hidden their admiration of the 26-year-old striker as they look to eventually find someone to lead their front line.

Oliveira spent some time on loan at Swansea City in 2015 and it is thought they may also look to put in a bid for him, though he would worry about their position in the Premier League and may find that Derby, Fulham or both may be swapping places with the Swans come the summer.

Oliveira's time in the Championship has hardly been a failure; the Portuguese has hit 18 league goals in one-and-a-half seasons at Norwich and he is making others in this league sit up and take notice.

The problem for the Canaries lies with a need to keep their wage bill down to a minimum. So selling the likes of Oliveira this month looks not only possible but probable.

Fulham, much like Derby and Leeds, have never really solved their central striking issues and in their case, have tried numerous players in this role, having essentially labelled big money signing Rui Fonte a failure. Another Portuguese import, Fonte joined in the summer from Braga but has not hit the heights at Craven Cottage and it seems the penny is not going to drop anytime soon.

Given their strong Portuguese connections, it is felt that Wolverhampton Wanderers may yet put in a late bid themselves for Oliveira. However, the fact that they play one man up front, with Bonatini and Rafa Mir already in the ranks, makes it seem like the move is unnecessary for them.

Norwich City have already rejected bids as large as £10million in the past for Nelson Oliveira, the one that came in from Swansea City last summer. It seems now that they need the money and we are absolutely certain that Fulham need a striker, so this deal looks like a good one for everybody concerned.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/01/17/fulhams-bid-to-sign-10m-striker-would-be-good-for-all-parties-involved-agreed/

WhiteJC

Who is better, Fulham's Tom Cairney or QPR's Luke Freeman? An unlikely source has had their say on the matter

National Rail Twitter account goes into overdrive overnight

It can be dangerous opening yourself up to questions on social media.

Especially when you're in charge of the social media for National Rail - a heavily criticised company at the best of times.

But an employee by the name of Luke decided to have a bit of fun last night. He was given "the graveyard shift" working from 11pm last night to 6am this morning and asked the general public for any questions they had.

The questions ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous, although once Doncaster Rovers fan Luke got onto football, he could not stop the questions coming.

And he was asked by user @Shxdipo if he thought Luke Freeman was the best attacking midfielder in the Championship.

The official National Rail Twitter account, run by Luke, replied: "Tom Cairney isn't bad."

Fulham then waded in, responding: "Agreed," with a fist pump emoji.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-better-fulhams-tom-cairney-14164343

WhiteJC

Fulham in talks to sign former Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto

Fulham are in talks over a deal for former Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto
    He has been playing in the UAE Arabian Gulf League Club but is a free agent
    The 31-year-old can play on the left wing or as a secondary striker
    The Argentine has had spells with Olympiacos, Panathinaikos and Catania

Fulham are in talks over a deal for former Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto.

The 31-year-old Argentine has been playing in the UAE Arabian Gulf League with Emirates Club but is a free agent.

Leto can play on the left wing or as a secondary striker and has had spells with Olympiacos, Panathinaikos and Catania.

Fulham are in talks over a deal for former Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto (centre)

He was signed by Rafa Benitez for Liverpool and made two appearances in the Champions League.

However, passport issues forced him to be loaned to Olympiacos.

He suffered a freak gym accident in 2015 when a barbell landed on his head, fracturing his skull and putting him in intensive care.

Leto was signed by Liverpool and made two appearances in the Champions League

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5276555/Fulham-talks-sign-Sebastian-Leto.html#ixzz54QXQvSI8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Huw Jennings takes great pride from Fulham's FA Youth Cup final with Chelsea ahead of Swansea tie

Fulham lost the final in 2014 after being beaten 7-6 on aggregate and the Academy Director recalls the final ahead of trip to Swansea

Fulham take on Swansea City in the FA Youth Cup fourth round tonight, and despite Academy Director Huw Jennings taking great pride from the 2014 run to the final, it's not a competition that defies the club's season.

The Young Whites lost out to Chelsea in 2014 over the two-legged final, losing 7-6 on aggregate having beaten the Blue side of west London 3-2 in the first leg at Craven Cottage.

Moussa Demebele, Patrick Roberts and Emerson Hyndman all played in that game, all three of whom have gone onto new stages of their careers, with Jennings believing that Fulham's run to that final was the launch of what will be stellar careers.

However,the Academy Director doesn't think the FA Youth Cup is the be-all and end-all to the U18s season as the current crop of youngsters take on Swansea tonight.

Jennings said: "These days, I find the youth cup as one of those competitions that is great when you do well but you shouldn't beat yourself up too much if you get eliminated.

"And yet it still does represent, often the key target for most youth players and youth coaches.

"We've had our challenges with Swansea this season, we've drawn and lost to them and both games have been quite feisty so hopefully we can show our brand of play is going to win out.

"A few years ago we got to the final against Chelsea and the journey was a fantastic experience for all those involved.

"I think it launched the careers of a number of players in that group, Patrick Roberts, Moussa Dembele, Emerson Hyndman, even guys like Cam Burgess who is now at Scunthorpe.

Goal: Emerson Hyndman and Moussa Dembele celebrate in the first leg (Image: Charlie Crowhurst/Getty Images)

"Those guys got noticed on the back of that and what pleased me the most about that experience is that we played some fantastic football and I think the Fulham fans acknowledged that.

"We had a terrific turnout for the game at Chelsea, there was a tube strike for the game at Fulham unfortunately but the one at Chelsea was a great turnout for Fulham fans.

"I think they're very discerning fans and recognise what that type of experience can provide for the players.

"Ultimately, we lost out but I take great pride in the run that we had but I wouldn't want anyone to think our season is defined by the Youth Cup."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/huw-jennings-takes-great-pride-14163290

Neil D

Oliveira, though he appears primarily right-footed, has a decent left too.  Always an asset.  Probably better value than Gayle too.

filham

With two weeks to go before the window shuts we find ourselves among an amount of rumour and doubt about movement of players.
How good it is to get positive statements about Fredericks signing a new contract. It is always more important and safer to keep your best players than take risks signing new players.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I agree that Ryan Fredricks sounds happy and the situation looks promising, but let's wait for the contract to be signed before we all cheer.
The club would be stupid to lose £3million by keeping him until the end of the season and it is up to the club to make a sensible offer for the contract extension otherwise an agent will be whispering in his ear about other offers.

filham

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on January 17, 2018, 06:16:23 PM
I agree that Ryan Fredricks sounds happy and the situation looks promising, but let's wait for the contract to be signed before we all cheer.
The club would be stupid to lose £3million by keeping him until the end of the season and it is up to the club to make a sensible offer for the contract extension otherwise an agent will be whispering in his ear about other offers.
You are so right.
I am anxious and impatient for some good news in this window and I am afraid I have jumped the gun.