Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Results

Friday
Derby
0 - 0 Bristol City

WhiteJC

International Friendly

Fulham Football Club's Craven Cottage will host a World Cup warm-up friendly match between Colombia and Australia on Tuesday 27th March (8pm).

Colombia and Australia have both qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup and will be using this friendly match as part of their preparations for this summer's tournament in Russia.

Colombia returns to London, having last played at Craven Cottage in November 2014. Second half goals from Carlos Bacca and Teofilo Guttierez that evening saw them fight back to defeat the United States, who had led at half-time, 2-1.

Australia were also victorious in their last visit to the Cottage in September 2014, outscoring Saudi Arabia 3-2 with Tim Cahill amongst the goals for the Socceroos.

This will be the first time in 17 years that Colombia and Australia will compete against each other, with an enthralling encounter expected on the banks of the River Thames.

Hospitality packages will be available to purchase from Thursday 25th January, with General Sale tickets being available to purchase, priced from £25 adults and from just £15 for under-16s, from Monday 29th January.

All tickets will be available to purchase online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, by phone on 020 3871 0810, and in person from the Fulham Ticket Office, located at Craven Cottage.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/19/international-friendly

WhiteJC

Fulham Date Set

Youth Team Set For Next Adventure

ARGYLE'S Under-18s will have their next chance to shine under the lights of Home Park when they face Fulham in the FA Youth Cup fifth round.

The Pilgrims have a chance to get to the last eight of the competition if they can beat 2014 finalists Fulham when the sides meet on Wednesday, February 7 (7pm kick-off).

Kevin Hodges' Young Pilgrims beat Eastleigh then Wimbledon to reach the third round, where they faced the mighty Manchester City. The game was goalless after 120 minutes, sending it to a shoot-out, which Argyle won.

This won the Greens a fourth round trip to Burnley, which they won 1-0 with a last-ditch Billy Craske strike.

We would love the Green Army to get behind Kevin and the boys on February 7. Tickets can be purchased from Monday, January 22. They will cost £5 for adults, £3 for Over 65s and £1 for under 18s. We will be opening the Grandstand and the central blocks of the Lyndhurst stand. Please note that seating will be unreserved.

The Under-18s are also in action on Friday, January 19 as they meet Swindon Town at 6.30pm. The game will be played on the 4G pitch at Plymouth Marjon University.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2018/january/fulham-date-set/

WhiteJC

Matchday Live: Burton Albion

Overseas fans can enjoy a live stream of Saturday's Sky Bet Championship encounter against Burton Albion at Craven Cottage.

If you are already a fulhamfctv subscriber you can pick up a match pass for just £5, while non-subscribers can access the stream for £10, and also enjoy video content on the official website for 48 hours from the point of purchase!

Please note that you must be abroad and be using an overseas bank account to access the stream.

The stream will kick in around 30 minutes prior to kick-off, with a number of links to the correct page across the website. Alternatively, head to www.fulhamfc.com/live to view the game. We recommend watching via Google Chrome.

For our supporters based in the UK and Ireland, you can listen to full live commentary from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid, with a monthly subscription. 

Any fans who experience problems on a matchday with your stream please contact > [email protected].

Fans who have experienced issues accessing the stream in the past are advised to have a look at our streaming tips page which we constructed following feedback from supporters, while our FAQs are available here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/19/matchday-live-burton-albion

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon could bring balance to almost any side, says Andy Hinchcliffe

Ryan Sessegnon of Fulham has attracted a lot of interest

Ryan Sessegnon could bring balance to almost any team in Europe, according to the guests on EFL Matters.

The 17-year-old has already played more than 50 games for Fulham, and has been linked with a host of clubs in the January transfer window as his stock continues to rise.

Speaking on EFL Matters on Thursday night, Andy Hinchcliffe said: "He plays with such maturity and we've seen it for a season or more. He's a quality young player but he's also playing on the left, and there aren't many players across Europe that can give a team balance.

"Is he going to be more valuable because he plays down that side?"

Hinchcliffe and presenter David Prutton were joined by Leicester assistant manager Michael Appleton, who agreed on Sessegnon.

"I think he is," replied Appleton. "In his early days he played a lot higher up the pitch as well, in his youth-team days he played on the left side of midfield and from some reports we had going back two years or so he was actually playing up front.

"The kid is obviously versatile and has bags of ability. But as you know there aren't many lefties out there, so to have that balance in your team is obviously wonderful."

Sessegnon has played a key role in Fulham's rise back up the Championship table and into play-off contention. Slavisa Jokanovic's side are just a point and two places outside of the top six heading into their weekend game with Burton.

"It happened last season as well where they had a slow start and came on strong in the end," said Hinchcliffe.

"They've managed to get themselves back into a threatening position now and I think a lot of teams in the play-off places will be looking over their shoulders at Fulham.

"They're crying out for a centre-forward who can score a few goals for them, but if they can bring in a striker in January then I can see them comfortably finishing in the top six."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11213231/ryan-sessegnon-could-bring-balance-to-almost-any-side-says-andy-hinchcliffe

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Slaviša Jokanović is well aware of the difficulty of Saturday's encounter with Burton Albion.

The Brewers arrive at Craven Cottage sitting in the Sky Bet Championship's bottom three, but will be looking to do the double over the Whites following their narrow victory earlier in the campaign.

"It's going to be a tough game," Jokanović acknowledged. "We lost in September against them, and I remember last season we saved one point at home when Ryan Sessegnon scored in stoppage time.

"Okay, they're in a relegation battle, but we have enough experience in the Championship to know it's not going to be easy for us.

"We play two different styles, and the information we have is that they expect a long game and they will be happy waiting for a chance. We expect a long game too and we must play with passion and wait for our chance.

"It will probably be a long game, but we must be focused, concentrate, and try not to make many mistakes to complicate our life further.

"I don't have experience of winning against Burton at home, and I expect I can taste this experience for the first time in my coaching career at Fulham."

Despite their league standing, Albion boast an enviable record on the road of late, having racked up nine points from a possible nine in their most recent outings.

"Nigel Clough did a fantastic job with this team, and they have an especially fantastic record in away games," Jokanović stated. "They won their last three away Championship games, they've got six clean sheets in 13 games I believe.

"No club in the Championship plays an easy game at home against this team. It's true they lost one game 5-0 and another 4-1, something like this, but their other results are so short, or victories like the last three games for them.

"Their situation is clear, they need the points. I don't know who needs the points more, them or my team, both teams need them. I am sure they're under pressure, but we are under pressure too, this is part of the job."

Floyd Ayité remains absent for the weekend's fixture, while a later decision will be made on Tom Cairney, who was only fit enough for the bench last time out.

"Tom Cairney has an up-down situation," Jokanović explained. "He has a successful enough week behind him, and we're going to assess if he's available to help us in the game we're going to play tomorrow afternoon."

With ticket prices increasing on matchday, Fulhams fans can still secure their seat at Craven Cottage this Saturday with juniors just £1 and adults only £20 in all areas of the ground.

Secure your seat today  online or by calling 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/19/head-coach-press conference

WhiteJC

Fulham v Burton Albion
SAT 20 Jan 2018  Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham have won seven of their past 10 Championship games and are unbeaten in five league matches

Fulham captain Tom Cairney is a doubt after missing their last two games with a niggling knee injury.

Togo international Floyd Ayite will have the calf injury which has kept him sidelined since 2 January assessed.

Burton are without midfielder Will Miller, who is out for the rest of the season with the knee injury he suffered in last Saturday's home defeat by QPR.

But boss Nigel Clough does have the option of bringing in on-loan West Ham United forward Martin Samuelsen.

After winning just one of their opening 10 Championship away games this season, the Brewers are on a run of three successive victories on the road.

Burton manager Nigel Clough:

"We are catching Fulham on an upward turn, showing the form they are capable of and didn't mange at the start of the season.

"We beat them here but now they are starting to hit their stride and are one of those teams who are capable of making the top six and being in the Premier League in six months.

"With all due respect to the last three teams we have just beaten on the road, Fulham are a different class so it will be very difficult."

SAM's prediction
Home win 75%   Draw 15%   Away win 10%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

MATCH FACTS

This is only the second meeting between these sides at Craven Cottage, the last having finished 1-1 in September 2016.
    Burton won this season's first meeting in September, their only win over Fulham in four previous attempts.
    Fulham have picked up 13 points from a possible 15 in their last five league games - more than the Cottagers picked up in their previous 11 games.
    Aboubakar Kamara has bagged a brace in two of his last three league appearances for Fulham, having only scored twice in his previous 19 appearances.
    Lloyd Dyer is Burton's leading marksman this season with five goals. Only Birmingham (four each for Sam Gallagher and Jacques Maghoma) have a lower top scorer in the EFL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42671844

WhiteJC

Fulham v Burton preview

Tom Cairney will be assessed by Fulham

Fulham will check on the fitness of captain Tom Cairney ahead of the visit of Burton.

The midfielder sat out last weekend's win at Middlesbrough due to a recurrence of a knee injury. Winger Floyd Ayite is set to miss out again with a hamstring problem. Tomas Kalas and Rui Fonte are pushing for recalls after dropping to the bench at Boro.

Burton were dealt an injury blow this week with the news that Will Miller will miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury. The forward suffered a detached kneecap in the defeat to QPR last weekend but, unlike long-term absentee Liam Boyce, he did not sustain any ligament damage.

Boyce is close to joining in with training following his knee injury and there is still a chance the club-record signing might be able to make his debut for Burton before the end of the season. Versatile forward Martin Samuelsen arrived on loan from West Ham this week and he will be involved at Craven Cottage.

Opta stats

This is only the second ever meeting between these sides at Craven Cottage, with the last match finishing 1-1 in September 2016.

Burton won the reverse fixture of this match in September, their only win over Fulham in four previous attempts (W1 D2 L1).

Fulham have picked up 13 points from a possible 15 in their last five league games (W4 D1), more than the Cottagers picked up in their previous 11 games (12 pts - W3 D3 L5).

After winning just one of their opening 10 Championship away games this season (D4 L5), the Brewers are now on a run of three successive victories on the road.

Aboubakar Kamara has bagged a brace in two of his last three league appearances for Fulham, he'd only scored two goals in his 19 such appearances beforehand.

Lloyd Dyer is Burton's top league goalscorer this season with five goals; only Birmingham have a lower top goalscorer (four - Sam Gallagher and Jacques Maghoma).

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-burton-alb/preview/374946

WhiteJC

No Coincidence

After suffering a broken leg in August, Lucas Piazon is back in the old routine. His return has corresponded with Fulham's sharp upturn in fortunes.

"It's the worst injury I've had, definitely," the Chelsea loanee tells Saturday's official matchday programme.

"But now I'm back and I'm still unbeaten this season! We drew my first three games and since I returned we haven't lost in the league.

"We're on a good run, the boys are playing well and we're getting results at home and picking up points away. We're suddenly climbing the table, we're just outside the top six and we're in a great position."

To read the full interview with Piazon, pick up a programme on Saturday.

Other highlights from the publication include:

Slaviša Jokanović and Tom Cairney pen their latest columns
    Paul Peschisolido recalls his Fulham spell and cutting his managerial teeth at Burton Albion
    Tayo Edun takes our nine-dart challenge
    John Collins talks us through a picture from his Fulham days
    And Glenn Cockerill picks his Fulham Dream Team

Priced £3.50, the 100-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster where you can also purchase past editions and take out a half-season subscription.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Pocketmags from 1am on Saturday morning.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/19/lucas-piazon-burton-albion-programme

WhiteJC

Injury boost for Fulham as Slavisa Jokanovic 'expects' West Brom target Tom Cairney to feature against Burton Albion

But there was no such good news for Floyd Ayite

Slavisa Jokanovic has admitted that he expects to be able to call upon captain Tom Cairney at some point during tomorrow's game with Burton Albion.

The Fulham skipper has missed the last two games - the FA Cup defeat to Southampton and the last-gasp league win over Middlesbrough - with a knee injury.

But the 26-year-old, who this week was the subject of speculation linking him with a move to West Bromwich Albion, should feature at home to Burton Albion tomorrow.

Although there was a slight hint from the boss that Cairney may start the game on the substitutes' bench.

Jokanovic said: "Tom Cairney has had some up and down situations, behind him is a successful week and we are going to assess him to see if he's available to help us in the game we're going to play tomorrow afternoon.

"This player has had some problems, but we're satisfied enough with this last four days to build up the team for this game. We'll try to take the best decision for the team.

"It's not important who's going to start the game, it's important who's going to finish the game, we expect we can use him tomorrow, but we'll see."

There was not such good news on Floyd Ayite, who remains sidelined.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/injury-boost-fulham-slavisa-jokanovic-14178394

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is expecting another tough test against Burton Albion

The Whites know they will be in for another battle with Burton

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic greets Burton Albion manager Nigel Clough (Image: Brandon Griffiths/Epic Action Imagery)

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic knows his side will be expecting a tough test on Saturday (3pm) when Burton Albion come to Craven Cottage.

The Brewers have won their last three matches on the road, with their most recent victory - a 3-0 win on Sheffield Wednesday on New Years' Day - an exhibition of what the Brewers can do to teams away from the Pirelli Stadium this season.

Jokanovic is well aware of Albion's attacking potency - Burton's last home win came against Fulham back on September 16 after Lucas Akins' second-half penalty proved to be the difference.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic (Image: Harry Murphy/Getty Images)

The Serb was full of praise for Burton and drew upon the previous matches against Nigel Clough's side for experience.

"It's going to be a tough game," Jokanovic said.

"We lost in September against them, and I remember last season we saved one point at home when Ryan Sessegnon scored in stoppage time.

"Okay, they''e in a relegation battle, but we have enough experience in the Championship to know it's not going to be easy for us.

"We play two different styles, and the information we have is that they expect a long game and they will be happy waiting for a chance. We expect a long game too and we must play with passion and wait for our chance.

Lucas Akins tucks away the penalty that put Burton 2-1 up agaisnt Fulham (Image: Brandon Griffiths/Epic Action Imagery)

"It will probably be a long game, but we must be focused, concentrate, and try not to make many mistakes to complicate our life further.

"I don't have experience of winning against Burton at home, and I expect I can taste this experience for the first time in my coaching career at Fulham."

It's the away form that stands out in Albion's copybook this season, and it's not going unnoticed - no matter how much Clough and co would like it to go under the radar.

"Nigel Clough did a fantastic job with this team, and they have an especially fantastic record in away games," the Serb added.

"They won their last three away Championship games, they've got six clean sheets in 13 games I believe.

"No club in the Championship plays an easy game at home against this team.

"It's true they lost one game 5-0 and another 4-1, something like this, but their other results are so short, or victories like the last three games for them.

"Their situation is clear, they need the points. I don't know who needs the points more, them or my team, both teams need them. I am sure they're under pressure, but we are under pressure too, this is part of the job."

The Cottagers have hit form since the turn of the year, and are unbeaten in five league games.

Fulham celebrate scoring in the Championship clash with Middlesbrough at Craven Cottage (Image: Ker Robertson/Getty Images)

In that run of form they have picked up 13 points from a possible 15 - more than the Cottagers managed in their previous 11 games.

Whites captain Tom Cairney is a doubt after missing the last two games with a knee injury, which will need assessing according to Jokanovic.

Winger Floyd Ayite is still being troubled by a calf injury which has kept him side-lined since early January.

https://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-slavisa-jokanovic-expecting-1090946

WhiteJC

Odoi: First Goal Crucial

Denis Odoi is keen to see Fulham move into a Play-Off spot on Saturday, but admits it's not essential at this moment in time.

That will be the situation if the Whites beat Burton Albion and Sheffield United and Leeds United both drop points, but Odoi knows there is a lot of football still to be played.

"It's a motivation for us because obviously it's better to be in the top-six than to be just outside it," he told fulhamfc.com. "But being in the top-six now, or in two or three weeks, isn't really that important.

"It's important to be up there in 19 games. We have to be there at the end. Whether we do it next week or in two months, that's the most important thing, but it would be better to be in there the whole time than to have to chase it.

"We're all aware of the fact that we can do really well if we put in some good performances and get some good results in our upcoming games."

In the corresponding fixture last season, Fulham needed a 93rd minute Ryan Sessegnon goal to salvage a point against a stubborn Brewers outfit, and Odoi stressed the importance of getting the first goal at the weekend.

"The Gaffer said they've had some really good away results," he stated. "I think they won their last three games, and they don't concede many goals.

"They had three bad results – two four-nils and a five-nil – but they didn't concede many in the other games.

"So if they grab the opener then it's going to be really difficult, and I think it could be a similar game to the Carabao Cup against Bristol Rovers where they got ahead and then just defended with 10 people outside or around their 18-yard box.

"If that happens then it's really hard to find the spaces, so it's important for us to keep the clean sheet and to get ahead as quickly as possible. If we do that then maybe they'll be forced to come out a little bit and leave some space."

With ticket prices increasing on matchday, Fulhams fans can still secure their seat at Craven Cottage this Saturday with juniors just £1 and adults only £20 in all areas of the ground.

Secure your seat today online or by calling 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/january/19/denis-odoi-first-goal-crucial

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 28 vs. Burton Albion
Can Fulham seek revenge and maintain their run of form against the Brewers?

Photo by Alex Dodd - CameraSport via Getty Images

It was a victory that left many fans breathless and wondering where it came from. But it was a victory no less. Fulham's 1-0 win over Middlesbrough thanks to a 95th penalty conversion from Oliver Norwood capped a night in which Fulham did dominate in possession and shots, despite the home side looking like they had the more clear-cut chances. Either way, three points is three points and Slavisa Jokanovic's team couldn't care less how they were able to claim them. Now they sit with just a solid point away from a spot in the Championship playoffs with 19 games to go.

For the second straight year, the good guys have found a way to scrape their way back into the top tier of the league after a rough start. But unlike last season where expected goals predicted a change in fortune for the good, this season had to be all about changing the process in order for them to be where they are. In fact, there were times this autumn where Fulham was struggling to have a positive expected goals differential. Nowadays, that tally has improved to the best differentials in actual and expected goals all season. During their five-game unbeaten run alone, Fulham has outscored their opponents 9.9-4.7 in expected goals alone, indicating that the club is getting the job done on both ends of the pitch.

The key now will be for them to continue their run of form against more middling sides, starting with Burton Albion. After all, Fulham's expected goal ratio is still eighth-best in the Championship, which is where they sit in the table. Bluntly, Burton is still a terrible side and if things go according to plan Fulham should be able to collect another three points and move on with their livelihood. But that's not how sports, let alone football and Fulham, works. To go along with it, Burton is in the middle of a good run of form themselves. They have picked up seven points in their last six games with three clean sheets to go along with it.

Everyone and their mama knows who Burton is and how they play. They're a collection of aging parts that are playing in a league that is well beyond their talent level and will sit so deep, they might as well have everyone at Pirelli Stadium joining in and hope for the best. During their run of form, it has worked quite well and has been able to generate some counter-attacking football in the process. Still, only Birmingham has scored less than Burton's 21 goals and the Brewers' 21.3 expected goals mean that they aren't suffering from any bad luck either. Still, Burton is not the worst team in the league and are on a good run of form for a reason and Fulham have struggled to deal with teams of their playing style in recent seasons. Mental fortitude will be critical for them to get the job done this Saturday.

But if Burton were to pull the unthinkable, these three players will play a major role.

Lucas Akins

In the away leg of this fixture, Akins was the one who scored the controversial penalty to give Burton the lead for good. And while goals play a major part in stats ratings, the 28-year old performed well enough to be the man of the match that day. It's a fair assessment of a player who has probably been the Brewers' most well-rounded player all season. Akins can play at both right back and on the right wing to create any semblance of attack for the club. Like Ryan Sessegnon, he's been immense up front by way of two goals and six assists, but his radar suggests he's more productive along Burton's back five. No matter what happens to the club after this season, I would not be surprised to see Akins leave in the summer and continue his venture in the Championship, despite playing with one club for the past four seasons.

Tom Flanagan

Let's not confuse one fullback named Flanagan with another, because this Flanagan has no criminal record to speak of and will be a key contributor on Saturday. The 26-year old is one of Burton's youngest regulars and has already played over 60 times for the club since joining in 2015. Beforehand, he was trying to make a name for himself at MK Dons. And while Akins is a two-way dynamo, Flanagan is the pair of safe hands that every club wants. For a fullback, he is well above average in his success at winning headers and being strong on the tackle. Ask him to do anything else and it could be a bit too much of an adventure. His performances have been rewarded with a first cap for Northern Ireland this past summer and Flanagan hopes to have his latest run of form rewarded even further.

Lloyd Dyer
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, we go to Burton's leading goal-getter, and...

Yeah. This is a player radar that you would exactly expect from an attacking player on one of the worst attacking teams in the league. At 35, Dyer does not have much left in the tank and he hasn't played a major role for a second tier club threatening for Premier League promotion since he scored seven league goals with Leicester City in 2013/14. Since then, he had bit roles with Watford, Birmingham, and Burnley before joining Burton. In fact, his five goals this campaign are the most Dyer has scored since 2013/14, but he is doing it while averaging only 1.12 shots per 90 minutes. That being said, he does have a consistently accurate conversion rate and is a solid passer of the ball. With his four total Premier League appearances happening back in 2004/05, I seriously doubt we'll see Dyer on the brightest stage in English football. However, he will certainly keep trying as his fascinating career starts to wind down.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/1/19/16910348/three-players-to-watch-matchday-28-vs-burton-albion

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic responds to Burton Albion boss Nigel Clough's comments that Fulham are like 1970s Liverpool

Whites manager can understand what Clough means though

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic says that it is not part of the plan for his side to put their best run of form together after Christmas.

Last season the Whites went on an impressive run at the back end of the campaign, losing just twice in their final 17 matches.

There could be something similar on the cards this year, although it will have started slightly earlier, with Fulham currently five games unbeaten.

It led to Burton Albion boss Nigel Clough, who takes his side to Craven Cottage this weekend, comparing the Whites to the all-conquering Liverpool side of the 1970s .

But while it could be two consecutive years that the Whites have saved their best for the second half of the season, Jokanovic never planned it that way

Nigel Clough manager of Burton Albion (Image: Getty Images Europe)

He said: "I don't remember this Liverpool team, I'm not from here.

"We did not make any plan [to do that]. To be honest the way we choose to play we need time to work on the training ground for my people to find the right positions, we need time.

"I don't want to compare this season and last season, but I needed time last season, I needed time this season too. I agree we are better, we play better now than what we did at the beginning of the season. The team understands better what we are trying to do and how we want to win games.

"It's not a question about better or worse, it's about different qualities. We are moving, after a few months, in a positive direction and we expect we can improve our level in these few months ahead of us too."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-responds-burton-albion-14180039

WhiteJC

Why Fulham Over Leeds Could Be The Ideal Destination For This 8 Goal Veteran Forward

Why Fulham Over Leeds Would Be The Ideal Destination For David McGoldrick

Despite continued interest from both Cardiff City and Birmingham City, big transfer hitters Leeds United and Fulham are now firmly in the running to sign Ipswich Town centre-forward David McGoldrick during this January transfer window.

The 30-year-old former Southampton man is certain to be on the move now despite remaining a firm part of Mick McCarthy's plans at Portman Road, netting 6 times in 19 Championship appearances this season. The Tractor Boys hitman has made 21 appearances in all competitions this term, scoring 8 goals as well as handing another 3 assists to his teammates.

His goal scoring record is made all the more impressive when you realise that he has been used much more this season as an attacking midfielder, second striker or even out wide – which doesn't really suit his skill set to be honest. Irish international McGoldrick would be much more comfortable as the focal point of an attack and may well now see his near future elsewhere with Joe Garner seen as the main man up front in Suffolk these days.

Leeds manager Thomas Christiansen has spoken repeatedly of his need to sign a new striker given the unreliability of German striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga and the inability of others to put their best foot forward in that position.

As for Fulham, their own need for a proper centre-forward has been well documented for some time, going right back to last season. At that point, the West London side had Derby's Chris Martin on loan but despite his hold-up skills, he was far from prolific at the Craven Cottage and did not replace Ross McCormack.

They tried to solve that this season by bringing in big money Portuguese signing Rui Costa but he too has been somewhat of a failure so far in the Championship. It is certain that both clubs then need a striker and both have a chance of playoff football and promotion. But from a selfish point of view, there is surely only one winner here?

Fulham would give McGoldrick the opportunity to play in his favoured position every week and be a part of an attack-minded team which supplies plenty of scoring opportunities to the forwards. Leeds is a huge club and the Ipswich man may be tempted by them, but his place up front would not be guaranteed and its well possible that Christiansen sees him as a quality squad player.

Fulham do look like the safer bet.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/01/20/why-fulham-over-leeds-could-be-the-ideal-destination-for-this-8-goal-veteran-forward/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney to West Brom is 'just rumour' says Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic

But he says the midfielder is happy at Craven Cottage

Tom Cairney has been in the media spotlight this week.

After Tony Khan put a stop to any talk of Ryan Sessegnon leaving Craven Cottage by releasing a statement that said he would not be leaving the club this January, attention, in the national press, has now turned to captain Cairney.

The Scottish international signed a new long-term deal with Fulham in the summer, fending off interest from the likes of Newcastle United, who were thought to have had a £20 million bid rejected.

That has not stopped clubs being linked with him in this January transfer window though, and there was talk this week of West Brom coming in with a £12 million offer.

GetWestLondon understands no formal bid was placed and manager Slavisa Jokanovic insists that the 26-year-old is happy at Craven Cottage.

Jokanovic said: "I'm not talking about rumours. I know Tom Cairney is happy here, that's it, that's the only comment I can make."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tom-cairney-west-brom-just-14180052

WhiteJC

Tonne's up for Nigel Clough as Burton Albion manager celebrates his 100th game in charge today against Fulham

Hopefully the Brewers can celebrate with a win...

Nigel Clough (Image: Richard Burley/Epic Action Imagery)

Nigel Clough will celebrate his 100th league game in charge of Burton Albion when the Brewers face Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday (3pm).

In reality, of course, the total amount of games Clough has taken charge is much higher than that.

But there's no time for eulogising or celebrating what is certainly a landmark for any manager in the current climate.

Albion have a job to do, and Clough is keen to get on with it.

"It has, yeah, in the last couple of years," Clough replied when asked if his second stint at the club has gone quickly.

"I didn't realise it was that many so quickly - it shows how many games we play in a short space of time.

"It was always the aim (to get into the Championship) because of the great position that Jimmy left us in, and Gary Rowett before that, to try to get promoted from that position, and we just about scraped over the line.

"I don't think anybody gave us much chance of surviving last season, and we did.

"So we've had 18 months in the Championship, 18 months more than anybody ever dreamed of - but we'd like to have another season at least.

"And that's the aim in the last 19 games."

Albion are starting to feel the pressure on the road because of their home form of late.

They're not showing it, though, as three wins in a row away from the Pirelli Stadium will attest.

Lloyd Dyer and Tom Flanagan of Burton Albion (Image: Richard Burley/Epic Action Imagery)

But there's just that nagging sense that they need to come away from their away games with something to offset their poor home form.

Fulham will certainly be a different test to Reading, Bolton and even Sheffield Wednesday.

They've hit form heading into the second half of the season, picking up 13 points from a possible 15 in their last five league games.

"Because the home form is so dreadful it then adds the pressure," Clough added.

"The last few away games, we have thought, 'if we can just get something on the road, we've got the home games coming up with Leeds and Norwich and QPR'.

"The players will look at the fixtures - most of them, some of them don't even know who we are playing on Saturday.

"But most look at the fixtures and think, 'if can get something on the road, then we've got these three home games' - and we end up with one point out of nine.

"It does just add to the pressure that we need to get something on the road.

"But I think we are confident enough to deal with that on the road.

"It might not happen on Saturday because of Fulham's quality, and with all due respect to the other three teams that we've just beaten, Fulham are in a different class."

https://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tonnes-up-nigel-clough-burton-1091515

WhiteJC

Report: swap deal for high-scoring Championship midfielder in exchange of Newcastle striker

According to the Northern Echo, Newcastle United could suggest a swap deal with Fulham for their midfielder Tom Cairney and Toons striker Dwight Gayle.

A similar deal was reported on summer transfer deadline day, and it looks like it could finally materialize this time around.

The Championship outfit want to renew their interest in Gayle after failing to land him last summer, while they are also open to sanctioning a £20million sales of Cairney.

With West Ham keen on Jonjo Shelvey, securing the signature of the Fulham man means Newcastle will be free to cash in on the £15million-rated England international.

Cairney brings goals and assists to the table – something Shelvey has struggled with in the Premier League this term.

The 27-year-old Scotland international has scored 21 league goals for the London club since arriving in 2015-16, 16 more than the Toons man has managed within the same period.

Getting a quality striker to replace the misfiring Gayle from the cash realized from Shelvey's sales, and adding a goalscoring midfielder like Cairney to the squad will be perfect business done for Newcastle this window.

http://futnsoccer.com/2018/01/20/reported-swap-deal-between-21-goal-centre-midfielder-and-newcastle-star-would-be-bargain-of-the-window-for-the-toons-pppht/

WhiteJC

Fulham manager wary of the threat of West Ham loan man on his Burton Albion bow

Martin Samuelsen joined the Brewers from West Ham this week

Martin Samuelsen is set to make his Burton Albion bow when they visit Craven Cottage today.

The 20-year-old winger is highly regarded at West Ham and has been sent out to the Championship side to get some valuable first team experience.

And he is set to make his debut against Fulham this afternoon.

The Brewers will be missing Will Miller after he was ruled out for the season with a knee injury, but Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic is wary of the threat the new Hammers loanee will pose.

Tom Cairney to West Brom is 'just rumour' says Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic

He said: "I expect he will start the game as they've lost Will Miller. Now without this player, it's this new guy from West Ham and he can be player that they don't need to change the team so much.

"He is a player who can play on the right wing immediately. He's a talented young man, he's shown great skill with goals, he's a good player one against one, a good player with the ball, but we have enough information about him and we will inform the players about all the team."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-manager-wary-threat-west-14180142

WhiteJC

Fulham keen to send young midfielder out on loan

Fulham are looking to loan out youngster Mattias Kait this month.

The Estonia international has impressed for the Whites' Under-23 side and the club want him to gain first-team experience.

League clubs have been made aware that midfielder Kait, 19, is available.

He is under contract at Craven Cottage until 2019.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-keen-send-young-midfielder-loan