watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettinelli

Started by The Swan, January 22, 2018, 08:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Although he did not have to make a save I thought his distribution was not very good.
He seemed to take a long time to either kick or throw the ball to a Fulham player.
He looked as if he was Button .
I like our keeper to use the ball quickly.
The Swan

BestOfBrede

Are you ever able to see a Fulham victory without picking out someone for whatever Reason?
Enjoy the result and stop picking holes, where there are none!
You may find that you enjoy it a hell of a lot more?

Twig

Quote from: The Swan on January 22, 2018, 08:34:35 PM
Although he did not have to make a save I thought his distribution was not very good.
He seemed to take a long time to either kick or throw the ball to a Fulham player.

He did make a save after a fashion, his spectacular headed clearance.  He did take a while sometimes I agree, but in general clearances usually found a Fulham player.  He wasn't trying those kicks out to the wing backs that often go into touch.  I was pretty happy with him, nothing to criticize really.

bill taylors apprentice

Yes he did take his time on occasions but he never looked shaky or like a cock up waiting to happen.

A couple of kicks out where not great but never put us in danger.

What people need to understand is, the Head Coach demands he plays it short and if the opposition close down the short pass around his box its only right for him to take his time.

Kicking long will only result in the ball coming straight back so his options are limited and that's where it can go wrong but in general it didn't and so far it hasn't.

Therefore he can't always release the ball quickly anymore than Cairney can't always pick a killer pass in midfield and holds on to it.

res

Quote from: The Swan on January 22, 2018, 08:34:35 PM

Using the ball quickly and losing it is useless...so taking your time shouldn't be seen as a criminal offence.
I thought, and still think, that Button has been, and is, unfairly demonised, but Bettinelli has introduced a greater calmness in our defence and is clearly a "Fulham" man through and through....also a good shot stopper, albeit needing to "own" his 6 yard box better. Premier League keeper?Probably not currently, but still young enough to develop to be one.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on January 22, 2018, 09:18:32 PM
Yes he did take his time on occasions but he never looked shaky or like a cock up waiting to happen.

A couple of kicks out where not great but never put us in danger.

What people need to understand is, the Head Coach demands he plays it short and if the opposition close down the short pass around his box its only right for him to take his time.

Kicking long will only result in the ball coming straight back so his options are limited and that's where it can go wrong but in general it didn't and so far it hasn't.

Therefore he can't always release the ball quickly anymore than Cairney can't always pick a killer pass in midfield and holds on to it.

Totally agree with your observation and Betts limited options.

MrD1879

It's no piece of luck that Betts gets back in the team and we have an up turn in form and results happened exactly the same last year. Do I think he's head and shoulders above Button - not really but he has that something about him which his team mates obviously respond to.
Didnt have a lot to do Saturday but thought he made a great Salmon impression for the header!

EastEndWhite

Button appears more 'willing' than Betts to pass the ball to a player who may have an opponent close by.  A lot of the time the ball came back to him (Button) and this wound people up.  Now Betts being more cautious is winding people up.

cmg

Pathetic effort from Bettinelli. Goals pouring in, and he could get no nearer than that weak headed effort. Had it not been for his stumbling ineptitude we would have conceded far fewer than none.

YankeeJim

The majority of the match we had a multiple goal lead. Why on earth would he hurry to get rid of the ball?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 22, 2018, 10:27:49 PM
The majority of the match we had a multiple goal lead. Why on earth would he hurry to get rid of the ball?

I agree, ridiculous OP. Next he'll be moaning that he didn't make any great saves... that's a good thing

Tabby

Quote from: EastEndWhite on January 22, 2018, 10:05:44 PM
Button appears more 'willing' than Betts to pass the ball to a player who may have an opponent close by.  A lot of the time the ball came back to him (Button) and this wound people up.  Now Betts being more cautious is winding people up.

I think that Slavisa doesn't like that he won't play the risky passes. Button was specifically instructed to do so, and it is probably the reason that he keeps being first choice keeper for longer than he should both this and last season.

I think one of the reasons that our defence has been so much better lately is that we don't give away a throw in our own half every other time the keeper gets the ball.

VicHalomsLovechild

I do think some players switch off when Betts/Button has the ball. There should be movement across the back four and midfield to create space for the ball to be put back into play. Our attack on their goal should start as soon as Betts/Button gets the ball. Maybe players need the time to catch their breath, look round see where everyone is etc. I just think it would put the opposition under pressure quicker and they would be the ones slow in closing us down.
I struggle to run a tap, so what do I know.

Milo

Saw game... feel OP is harsh.

Agreed we would ideally sign a more sweeper style keeper (I imagine from abroad?) to complement our counter attacks but currently Betts is doing a pretty solid job... and the team are winning!

toshes mate

I'd prefer a little time to reflect and/or provide the hidden signals required to get players ready to move into positions where possession is more likely to be retained than not.  Both keepers were taking time on Saturday to do just that with one eye on the referee to ensure they were keeping honest about it too.. 

bobbo

Them both - bets nd butts - doing doing similar distribution tells you one thing.
They are under instructions from whoever is coaching them.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

hovewhite

The thing that stands out with Betts over button is we look calmer at the back.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: hovewhite on January 23, 2018, 09:33:34 AM
The thing that stands out with Betts over button is we look calmer at the back.
Exactly. Betts commands his area better than Button does.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: cmg on January 22, 2018, 10:10:46 PM
Pathetic effort from Bettinelli. Goals pouring in, and he could get no nearer than that weak headed effort. Had it not been for his stumbling ineptitude we would have conceded far fewer than none.

:005:  :plus one:

epsomraver

Quote from: BestOfBrede on January 22, 2018, 09:13:51 PM
Are you ever able to see a Fulham victory without picking out someone for whatever Reason?
Enjoy the result and stop picking holes, where there are none!
You may find that you enjoy it a hell of a lot more?
0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg   It is no coincidence that since Marcus came back our results have improved