watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Expectation levels from the Boss

Started by Riversider, February 01, 2018, 04:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Let's face it, those of us that are wage slaves, the vast majority of us will have expectations and demands from our employer, and of course Slavisa Jokanovic will be no different,
There can't be many Chairman this window that have stuck their neck out more than Shahid Khan and certainly none in The Championship have,
I hate to think what the wages are for Mitrovic and the loan fee must be astronomical,  factor in the money declined for Sessegnon, Fredericks and Cairney and we suddenly become very big players,
With all that in mind, is it only fair that our owner should now "expect" a Top 6 finish ? (I'm careful to say expect and not demand)
And what about us as supporters ? On the 1st of Feb 2017, we all had "hope" for a Top 6 finish , but what about 1st Feb 2018 , surely the feeling is more of expectation rather than hope !
Looking at our remaining fixtures we've got a really nice run in for our last few games , so it's certainly going to be in our own hands , so personally I'm fully "expecting" a Top 6 finish,
Outside of the Top 6 will surely be seen as failure now both at boardroom level and on the terraces and lead to a total annilation of our squad that might take a few seasons to recover from.
All the fun starts this Saturday in front of a bumper crowd, there's going to be ups and down along the way but if Sessegnon and Mitrovic can score 20 goals between them in what remains of the season we can do it,
Would give anything right now to see Sessegnon at Wembley in a Fulham shirt 👍

Fernhurst

Quote from: Riversider on February 01, 2018, 04:57:36 PM
Let's face it, those of us that are wage slaves, the vast majority of us will have expectations and demands from our employer, and of course Slavisa Jokanovic will be no different,
There can't be many Chairman this window that have stuck their neck out more than Shahid Khan and certainly none in The Championship have,
I hate to think what the wages are for Mitrovic and the loan fee must be astronomical,  factor in the money declined for Sessegnon, Fredericks and Cairney and we suddenly become very big players,
With all that in mind, is it only fair that our owner should now "expect" a Top 6 finish ? (I'm careful to say expect and not demand)
And what about us as supporters ? On the 1st of Feb 2017, we all had "hope" for a Top 6 finish , but what about 1st Feb 2018 , surely the feeling is more of expectation rather than hope !
Looking at our remaining fixtures we've got a really nice run in for our last few games , so it's certainly going to be in our own hands , so personally I'm fully "expecting" a Top 6 finish,
Outside of the Top 6 will surely be seen as failure now both at boardroom level and on the terraces and lead to a total annilation of our squad that might take a few seasons to recover from.
All the fun starts this Saturday in front of a bumper crowd, there's going to be ups and down along the way but if Sessegnon and Mitrovic can score 20 goals between them in what remains of the season we can do it,
Would give anything right now to see Sessegnon at Wembley in a Fulham shirt 👍

Really enjoyed that Riversider, especially the last line.
Well done 👏👏👏
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

colinwhite

I agree Riversider that the club have really shown intent. I think we are going to do it .

gezkc

Great post.
It's been getting a bit depressing on this forum lately (for no justifiable reason, considering where we are and the business we've done), but I hope everyone can now recognise that Fulham are pulling out the stops to get us promoted. Onwards and upwards!

BestOfBrede

It is a great post and I'm presently surprised with who penned It!
Well said Riversider

Riversider

Quote from: Statto on February 01, 2018, 07:04:54 PM
Judging the inherent capability of any group of players is difficult. Most of our players haven't done anything special away from Fulham so you can't reasonably set expectations too high IMO.

Personally I expect to finish in the top 6, but only because I believe that's what our manager's capable of achieving with these players, not necessarily because the players are inherently brilliant themselves.

As to the funding, I doubt mitrovic's wages are much, if at all, more than sigurdsson's. Probably barely £1m for 6 months. So I doubt the chairman has had to dig very deep for that.

Our wage bill should be under control these days, we still get a decent London crowd at games and even a small parachute payment... so we should be able to afford one moderately expensive loan signing from time to time.

"I doubt Mitrovic's wages are very much" very, very naive if you actually believe that,
Your reply came across as very downbeat, almost us though it hurts to say something positive towards our owner, I've seen posts from others in the same vein , which is both sad and extraordinary,
Shahid Khan , financially , has stuck his neck out financially more than any other Chairman in The Championship,  and by some distance,  not sure how anybody with an ounce of football knowledge could even attempt to contest that.
Ho Hum 😯

N_O_W_S

Quote from: Statto on February 01, 2018, 07:26:42 PM
Quote from: Riversider on February 01, 2018, 07:20:16 PM

"I doubt Mitrovic's wages are very much" very, very naive if you actually believe that,

also very good of you to cut off half of my quote and completely change the meaning!

Mitrovic is on a contract that expires in 2020 and is in the region of £60k a week.

Source: https://sillyseason.com/salary/newcastle-united-players-salaries-99593/

grandad

Quote from: Ols_S on February 01, 2018, 07:56:39 PM

also very good of you to cut off half of my quote and completely change the meaning!

Mitrovic is on a contract that expires in 2020 and is in the region of £60k a week.

Something not right with the figures. Shelvey is listed as on £25k but in the article below it states he is the highest paid player.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Riversider

£60k a week would presumably be one of the highest wages in The Championship ! So in that sense then, they would actually be "Very much" 🤔

N_O_W_S

Quote from: grandad on February 01, 2018, 08:05:00 PM

Something not right with the figures. Shelvey is listed as on £25k but in the article below it states he is the highest paid player.
Yeah I just re-read it. Elsewhere states wages are base £33k a week with various incentives.

Of course it all depends on the loan agreement as well.

filham

We have the players , they should be able to make the top six bu twe all know that anything can happen in any match in this division. The pressure really is on each player and the coach.
Essential the fans give their full support.

N_O_W_S

Quote from: Statto on February 01, 2018, 10:11:20 PM
Quote from: Riversider on February 01, 2018, 08:17:56 PM

£60k a week would presumably be one of the highest wages in The Championship ! So in that sense then, they would actually be "Very much" 🤔

i think you need to go back to school and learn to read

i said "I doubt mitrovic's wages are much MORE THAN SIGURDSSON'S

even in the highly unlikely event that we are paying ALL of mitrovic's £60k per week wages that would still only equate to about £1m total from now until May

In reality we're probably not paying him more than £40k per week, and I reckon Sigurdsson was on big money (coming from Russia) in the region of £30k per week... I expect the difference from now until May equates to less than £200k total

£200k... is that what you call the multi-billionaire chairman "sticking his neck out"?!?!

I wasn't stating one way or the other. I was interested after you wondered what he was on so looked it up.

Not sure if you're replying to me or Riversider.

twang

When Sigurdsson signed a Danish news site revealed that he was on £40k a week here and was our highest paid player (at that time at least).

Even if Mitrovic is on £60k a week at Newcastle, no one knows what percentage of that we are paying or what the loan fee was.

..FOF..

Joka already brought the team to the Top 6 carrying the baggages from last year's debacle.

So the Khan cannot take full credit for that.

I have a feeling that with these signings, the board can expect only more consistency in terms of fighting spirit and teamwork, for each and every game. One game at a time.

While Joka, I believe he can set a big personal goal of aiming for 2nd spot, if not, a promotion through playoff. All this without fearing that he will be fired for anything less.

colinwhite

Agree with statto that it may not be a huge outlay by the club ,but also with riversider that it is a massive statement of intent to get quality in ,in a a strange market as well as ,more importantly ,hanging on to our best players who could have been sold for huge amounts of money.  The latter point being the most. important since its shows that the ownership arent out to use the club to their own ends as many gladly believe.Dont really understand what your bickering about other than semantics !!!

RaySmith

Agree colin - massively important that we kept TC and Sess, and a sign of club's intent, as well as these really  good seeming signings.

toshes mate

Personally I expect to finish in the top 6, but only because I believe that's what our manager's capable of achieving with these players, not necessarily because the players are inherently brilliant themselves. 
An absolutely priceless response to a much too gushing, IMHO, piece of OP sycophancy regarding our owner.  Regardless of what happened in the window i.e. were it good, bad or indifferent, the engine room of this Club - the coaching team and their squad - always have to do the business.  Let them work as hard as they can for us to deliver the best points tally possible from our remaining matches. 

Twig

Quote from: toshes mate on February 02, 2018, 09:15:31 AM
An absolutely priceless response to a much too gushing, IMHO, piece of OP sycophancy regarding our owner.  Regardless of what happened in the window i.e. were it good, bad or indifferent, the engine room of this Club - the coaching team and their squad - always have to do the business.  Let them work as hard as they can for us to deliver the best points tally possible from our remaining matches. 

Agree fully with the above (and no I am not and never have been anti Khan, I remain somewhat agnostic).  I do not see how this transfer window, as decent as it was, is evidence of SK sticking his neck out. Until now our net transfer spend was broadly zero and in this window we spent around £3.5 mil.  Mitts wages are high but we cleared out a lot of lower wages players to offset.  Don't get me wrong it was an exciting window but I do think the praise of SK in the OP was a bit over the top.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: toshes mate on February 02, 2018, 09:15:31 AM
I tend to agree, but am pleased with the three incomings, albeit at last knockings on Wednesday.
Had the last two not have happened (due to business being done so late again), then the mood on FOF would be far less optimistic.
Having said that let's all really get behind the team tomorrow and future games and try to push to finish as high as possible.