watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm not really interested in a top 6 finish

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, February 02, 2018, 02:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Consideration of the position we are in and the upcoming fixtures, I'm 'expecting and hoping for a 2nd place finish.
Unless Wolves implode, the top spot is not possible.
But Derby are well within our sights (5 points) and lots of the other teams in contention are faultering.
WE are on a great run but will no doubt have a blipp at some point.
After the next 2 games we are purported to have a difficult run, but that opinion was a few weeks ago
and all of a sudden.............
Bristol City (A)
Villa (H)
Wolves (H)  (our recent Nemesis)
Derby (A)
SHeffield Utd  (H)

.........are not and should not be considered a frightening 5 games.
We can beat the lot of them and all (or most future challengers) are beatable.
As I said we will have a blimp or 2, but not necessarily on banana skins.

If we can maintain this, we are heading for the PS (forget Wembley play off final)

Then what do we do ?

We can cross the Khan or Khan-not Bridge when we get there.
I have always believed in the Khan philosophy of sustainability and long-term reward

Dream on chaps.
Who would have thought 3/4 years ago that Leicester would win the PS and have been negotiating
a bid in the region of 70 million for Mahrez
It makes TC, RF and RS transfer quotes seem very cheap

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

..FOF..

I agree.... we should be talking more about getting to the Top 2!

Now that the dust has settled, with about 3 solid months to go, there will be a lot of chances to steal that number 2 spot.

We are already in the Top 6... time to move on up!

ChesterTheTabby

Finally, some optimism that is well deserved and sustainable!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

love4ffc

Like what you say Rog, Top 2 roll on  049:gif :clap_hands: 082.gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

RaySmith

People are optimistic at the moment, but as Roger says, there is bound to be a blip or two along the way.

Yes, second place  is definitely attainable, but one game at a time.

All this positivity is making me nervous!

General

I think we've all had ato least one eye on 2nd, but let's not kid ourselves, despite some solid acquisitions and being in form we have some tricky games coming up and some potential banana skins to get through first.

Yes, we got through January unbeaten but we have to be more realistic as to how we ended up being so.. against barnsley, for whatever reason we were severely outplayed for the entirety of the health first half and every player and manager admitted that the game changed and perhaps only changed as a result of the red card.

Even then it took us until the 93rd minute to score the winner... and sessegnon's second glossed over what was in all truth a very dodgy performance.

We've won a few of our games in the last few minutes recently and been lucky in two games with sendings off which have changed the game. Now don't get me wrong, we played in a way which made that happen but we're soon coming up against the two toughest teams in the league in Villa and Wolves and should manage expectations as we approach them.

If we win one of those, and get through the others with a positive points tally then start dreaming but we didn't do well against them earlier in the season and their form hasn't worsened so we need to be on best form to win them.if we do, we'll definitely be deserving of 2nd.

F(f)CUK

We have a really tough run of games coming up and Villa are in great form. I am hopeful but have no expectations at this stage.

toshes mate

Quote from: maoconnor on February 02, 2018, 03:30:49 AM
Finally, some optimism that is well deserved and sustainable!
+1
... and deserving of us all keeping perspective and belief whenever things do not go exactly as we hoped or planned.

Carborundum

I agree that top 2 isn't out of the question.  But playoffs interest me too and since Fulham haven't been to Wembley since 1975, I'd be happy with our season extending.

..FOF..

When they players play, we expect them to be optimistic.

I believe they are counting on the fans to do the same too.

terryr

I get very nervous when I start thinking this way

SuffolkWhite

I don't have one eye on 2nd place tbh, One game at a time mantra for me. As said above I think some of our ugly wins have an element of luck which is always welcome, but our performance has to improve and we need consistency for the whole game not just one half against Forest. As for the other games coming, all I'll say is I think we play better against the better teams generally.

COYW  049:gif

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

hovewhite

Automatic promotion is well possible as other posters have said we have tough run of games and I think if we get away with maybe 1 defeat then we will be in with a chance of automatic promotion.

VicHalomsLovechild

Odoi on his day has proved to be a useful central defender. Targett and Christie are both 6'. I wonder if either of them are any good centrally?

Woolly Mammoth

We shall have to do better than having just one good half against Forest. Preferably we start off on the right foot, build on it, and keep it ticking over.
It's impossible to dominate for 90 mins. As all teams will have their moments and periods of play when they will be in the ascendancy.
However, we need to be mentally and physically stronger all round and turn our constant possession into goals. Although I understand whilst we have possession they cannot score, but we can.
So let's have two good halves, as Forest will be a threat and a dangerous outfit. As in general all teams are, as we know too well.
The first 90 minutes plus is the most important, and the ball never gets tired. ⚽️⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Enclosurite

The tough run of games is necessary though to enable us to take that 2nd place.  If we fail then we don't deserve it and will be in our rightful place chasing just a play off spot.  It certainly is an exciting time ahead, looking forward to it!   049:gif
¡COYW!

Holders

Quote from: Statto on February 02, 2018, 10:25:43 AM
Contrary to the abuse I've got on other threads for my measured response to our January business, I do think we're now in a good position, being in great form and with a good amount of cover everywhere (except CB).

IMO 2nd place is a reasonable *target* now, albeit perhaps not what I would bet on if I had to make a prediction.

For me it will turn on how we perform against the stronger teams. Last season we seemed to play even better against the top teams than we did against the lower-placed teams. If we do that again over the Tough run coming up  then we'll go up, surely.

A balanced summary.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

rusty shackleford