more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I BELIEVE

Started by ChesterTheTabby, February 03, 2018, 05:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Quote from: Fulhamerica on February 03, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
:plus one: He's not built to be up top by himself against the lumps at center back in the championship...

...shoudn't that be chompionship?

WokinghamWhite

The real test starts now. After the Bolton match our next four matches, three are against teams that are currently above us and the other is against the team we just knocked out of fifth. By the end of that little run we will know all we need to know about the depth and character of the team. But like you, I BELIEVE!

YankeeJim

I like players that put out exceptional effort. Fonte certainly fits that and he defends as well. I still believe that in the right situation, he could be productive. Maybe playing behind two strikers in a 4-4-2. Yea, I know we have several others to do that. Just saying....
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YankeeJim

Quote from: WokinghamWhite on February 03, 2018, 08:22:19 PM
The real test starts now. After the Bolton match our next four matches, three are against teams that are currently above us and the other is against the team we just knocked out of fifth. By the end of that little run we will know all we need to know about the depth and character of the team. But like you, I BELIEVE!

Most of the time we have played well against the top tier teams but struggled against the bottom feeders because they all play like Stoke under Pullis. Now that we can keep Sess on the left wing and have some muscle to scrap in the box, I like you, BELIEVE!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 03, 2018, 06:31:34 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on February 03, 2018, 05:48:56 PM
mac, I am SO pleased to see you say "champing" rather than "chomping" -- not often someone gets it right

The idiom is usually written chomping at the bit, and some people consider this spelling wrong. But chomp can also mean to bite or chew noisily (though chomped things are often eaten, while champed things are not), so chomp at the bit means roughly the same as champ at the bit.
In fact, chomp, which began as a variant of champ, is alive in English while the biting-related sense of champ is dead outside this idiom, so it's no wonder that chomping at the bit is about 20 times as common as champing at the bit on the web. Champing at the bit can sound funny to people who aren't familiar with the idiom or the obsolete sense of champ, while most English speakers can infer the meaning of chomping at the bit.

grammarist.com/usage/champing-chomping-at-the-bit/

well, that's as may be, but chomping means biting. That doesn't show any desire to do anything but grind his teeth. Contrariwise, when a horse is "champing at the bit" that means he's raring to run. Simple.

One of my great problems with the OED is that if incorrect usage of the English language is wide-spread and long-lived enough, then that poor usage becomes acceptable.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel