watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Question about Rugby (NFR, of course)

Started by ToodlesMcToot, February 05, 2018, 01:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

So, prior to watching the Super Bowl yesterday, I was watching Six Nations (England v Italy). I don't watch much Rugby. So much of it is puzzling but, I can enjoy it still.

One thing I was curious about: I understand that a try is completed when the ball is touched to the ground - while in the player's possession - in the opposing team's goal area. What I'm curious about is what happens if said ball carrier is tackled in the goal area prior to touching the ball to the ground on his own? This question occurred to me while watching some fool continue running in the goal area rather than diving as he should have.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Lighthouse

The man carrying the egg in the spoon has to ground the egg upon the ground. The point at where the egg is grounded is the where the egg has to be kicked over for a conversion onto omelettes. It makes sense therefor for the egg carrier to get as close to the posts as he can. But if he is tackled and the opposition stop him from grounding the egg then the try doesn't count.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BestOfBrede

Rather than scoring the try on the edge of the field, they will attempt to get as near to the goal as possible before touching the ball down.
This is so that the angle then isn't so narrow for the kicker to score the extra 2 points on conversion. As you will have seen, Farrell missed 2 conversions due to the tight angle after tries.

BestOfBrede

oops sorry Lighthouse hadn't seen your reply!

ToodlesMcToot

Thanks. The positioning of the try and it's relation to the kick hadn't occurred to me.

The most confusing bit about Rugby to me overall is how on Earth it was ever considered more a "well to do" sport while football was more a commoners sport. I have a friend who has told me that his father gave him a good beating if he was ever caught playing football instead of rugby. Maybe that's unusual. But he doesn't make it seem so in telling that story.

Neil D

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 05, 2018, 02:48:00 PM
Thanks. The positioning of the try and it's relation to the kick hadn't occurred to me.

The most confusing bit about Rugby to me overall is how on Earth it was ever considered more a "well to do" sport while football was more a commoners sport. I have a friend who has told me that his father gave him a good beating if he was ever caught playing football instead of rugby. Maybe that's unusual. But he doesn't make it seem so in telling that story.
My Welsh wife is forever telling me that rugby is a hooligans' game played by gentlemen and football the other way round.

grandad

The round ball game could learn a lot from Rugby. Referees respected, no arguing with them, no cheating or feigning injury, good use of video replays, no crowd violence, no racist chants.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Quote from: grandad on February 05, 2018, 04:24:30 PM
The round ball game could learn a lot from Rugby. Referees respected, no arguing with them, no cheating or feigning injury, good use of video replays, no crowd violence, no racist chants.

Up to a point. But we have seen eye gouging and the odd bit of cheating in Rugby. However the communication between referee and fans is better even with the more complicated rules. Football with the round ball is run by people who are not really fans and expect us to put up with a lot. Including lack of communication with the almighty ref.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2018, 04:53:07 PM

Up to a point. But we have seen eye gouging and the odd bit of cheating in Rugby. However the communication between referee and fans is better even with the more complicated rules. Football with the round ball is run by people who are not really fans and expect us to put up with a lot. Including lack of communication with the almighty ref.

I found it quite enjoyable the referee (though I didn't always understand what he was speaking about) being mic'd, fully explaining his decisions as well as allowing us to hear what was said to individual players when necessary.

This, applied in football, would certainly curb the disrespect toward referees as the language of those speaking to them would be for everyone to hear, would also allow us to hear when/why players are carded or on the verge of being so, etc. I think it might cause some referees who seem inclined to make themselves too much a part of the outcome to dial their input back a bit.

CincyFulham1

Sir Alec of good Stock

jarv

I was so pleased the 6 nations is being televised here in USA. I sat down to watch Scotland but sadly, when they went 20-0 down to Wales I switched over to watch Arsenal stuff Everton. 082.gif

Burt

Loved the end of the France v. Ireland match. In overtime, 41 phases, and then Sexton's drop goal. Drama of the highest order. Just a shame that the previous 80 minutes weren't all that.

Whitesideup

Played mostly by rich people with nice parents, watched by the same. Explains a lot. Rugby league not quite the same! And remember, rugby union didn't even have a league until a few years ago. Everyone played friendlies, such was the nature of the game.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 05, 2018, 08:21:59 PM
Played mostly by rich people with nice parents, watched by the same. Explains a lot. Rugby league not quite the same! And remember, rugby union didn't even have a league until a few years ago. Everyone played friendlies, such was the nature of the game.

You obviously love a stereotype. Before I started going to Rugby Union games about 10 years ago, I would have said exactly the same. Inevitably you get a small percentage of wealthier posher people there, but what's wrong with that? From my experience the type of people who watch Rugby Union are no different from the crowd at Craven Cottage which is considerably more middle class and wealthy than when I started going in the 60s.

SP

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on February 05, 2018, 05:38:34 PM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on February 05, 2018, 05:30:15 PM
I would just like to add....Go Quins

Quite right too, I'm a STH at The Stoop.

Love the Twickenham experience. Been meaning to have a trip down the Stoop as Quins are my adopted team but the prices quoted (for Bath I think) were rather expensive for a non-football weekend.

Southcoastffc

Try the 'rich, posh, middle class' line in Llanelli or Pontypridd and see where it gets you!
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

General

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 05, 2018, 01:55:24 PM
So, prior to watching the Super Bowl yesterday, I was watching Six Nations (England v Italy). I don't watch much Rugby. So much of it is puzzling but, I can enjoy it still.

One thing I was curious about: I understand that a try is completed when the ball is touched to the ground - while in the player's possession - in the opposing team's goal area. What I'm curious about is what happens if said ball carrier is tackled in the goal area prior to touching the ball to the ground on his own? This question occurred to me while watching some fool continue running in the goal area rather than diving as he should have.

Think the answer you're looking for is this.

If a player gets tackled whilst about to score a try (in the try zone) then the key bit is the player needs to be in control of the ball whilst placing it down in the 'end zone'...

A try is not a try in this instance if the player with the ball who is tackled is brought into touch with the side line before grounding the ball or if the ball is held up by the opposition and the ball is subsequently not grounded.

General

And as someone else mentioned, the reason a player will continue to run whilst in the try area is because once you've scored a try (5 points) you're given the opportunity to convert that for another 2 points with a kick through the upright posts.

The reason for running is because in rugby, where you ground the ball in relation to where the posts are you are only allowed to attempt a conversion (kick) from distance in line with where the ball was touched down, making the angle by which to score more acute.

Southcoastffc

"If a player gets tackled whilst about to score a try (in the try zone) then the key bit is the player needs to be in control of the ball whilst placing it down in the 'end zone'... "

Close, but not quite. 'Control of ball' is outdated now. The rule is "player needs to exert downward pressure". Look at the last Wales try v Scotland to see that in practice.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.