Main Menu

Cauley .... again

Started by MikeW, February 07, 2018, 11:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gang

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on February 08, 2018, 12:13:39 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 07, 2018, 10:37:45 PM
Quote from: MikeW on February 07, 2018, 05:47:47 PM
Sorry, but I don't see any millions in his value? £450.000 maybe to Div 1 club.

agreed

the only club at which he's been anything close to a "success" recently is Burton and they're not going to spend £3-4m on a player. i think their current transfer record is £500k. Would they perceive Woodrow to be so good he justifies paying more than they've ever paid for a player? No.

Transfermarkt has his value at 1m. I would say that's fair for a youngster with prem experience (albeit 6 games who scored) was a recent U21 international, and whose contract runs out in 2019. Equally, when Zach Clough went to Forest for 3m then why is 2-3m unreasonable for Woodrow?

Simple really he's not worth it.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: gang on February 08, 2018, 12:19:29 PM

agreed

the only club at which he's been anything close to a "success" recently is Burton and they're not going to spend £3-4m on a player. i think their current transfer record is £500k. Would they perceive Woodrow to be so good he justifies paying more than they've ever paid for a player? No.

Transfermarkt has his value at 1m. I would say that's fair for a youngster with prem experience (albeit 6 games who scored) was a recent U21 international, and whose contract runs out in 2019. Equally, when Zach Clough went to Forest for 3m then why is 2-3m unreasonable for Woodrow?

You are missing my point. My question isn't what value would FoF contrinbutors put on Woodrow. My question is a wider one about market value.

I'm on about when you look at a market where Zach Clough is going for 3m who has actually achieved less than Caulay a year ago. You then factor in that players like Ollie Watkins - 2m (one season at Exeter City in Lg2 2), etc then I want to know what makes a player with U21 caps & goals,  prem appearances and goals, a goal of the season winner, time left on a recently signed contract and nearly 100 first team games by the age of 23 worth less...

Wolf

I think the issue is that he's not going to be signed by a Championship club, because he's not good enough. League One/Two clubs don't pay fees in the millions.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

bog

Quote from: Twig on February 07, 2018, 03:25:12 PM
Always liked Cauley and sincerely hope he makes good somewhere.

0001.jpeg :plus one:

Twig

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on February 08, 2018, 02:33:05 PM
Quote from: gang on February 08, 2018, 12:19:29 PM

agreed

You are missing my point. My question isn't what value would FoF contrinbutors put on Woodrow. My question is a wider one about market value.

I'm on about when you look at a market where Zach Clough is going for 3m who has actually achieved less than Caulay a year ago. You then factor in that players like Ollie Watkins - 2m (one season at Exeter City in Lg2 2), etc then I want to know what makes a player with U21 caps & goals,  prem appearances and goals, a goal of the season winner, time left on a recently signed contract and nearly 100 first team games by the age of 23 worth less...

[/quote

I think that makes sense and is pretty fair.  Plus as a young player he might well have the ability to justify that price.  Sometimes we are a bit too quick to write our younger players off as "not worth it" or "no good".

terryr

HatterDon

Cauley has scored in the Championship, the FA Cup, the League Cup, AND the Premier League, and SEVEN times in an England shirt.

He is a striker best suited to a style of football Fulham is not using. Cauley's problem hasn't been failing when called upon nearly as much as it is failing to get on the team sheet in the first place.

Saying he wouldn't help our current squad is accurate and appropriate. Saying he's only fit for League Two is just plain ignorant -- especially if you consider that there' are many levels between brilliant and rubbish.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Snibbo

Quote from: HatterDon on February 09, 2018, 01:52:31 AM
Cauley has scored in the Championship, the FA Cup, the League Cup, AND the Premier League, and SEVEN times in an England shirt.

He is a striker best suited to a style of football Fulham is not using. Cauley's problem hasn't been failing when called upon nearly as much as it is failing to get on the team sheet in the first place.

Saying he wouldn't help our current squad is accurate and appropriate. Saying he's only fit for League Two is just plain ignorant -- especially if you consider that there' are many levels between brilliant and rubbish.

The way that people write off a player as "rubbish" is a bit sad in my view. Just to get a contract with a club, you have to be better than 99% of those who aspire to play. So you are already exceptional. Then luck, injuries, the right manager, being given the opportunity, having good players around you, your personality, your friends and family and other factors can make or break you. To label a player as "rubbish" just because he may or may not make it as one of the few at the top is an easy and unnecessary insult.

Marcel_Gecov

Indeed, to assume that a lower championship club or a team getting promoted looking for someone to lead their line wouldn't bite our hands off for him is crazy. He has a decent pedigree, his cv isn't bad for a 23 year old, he's also under contract in an inflated marketplace. Our fans/manager may not like him, I'm obviously not one of them, but there are many teams who would.

bog

When we played Wycombe in the League Cup this season in the warm he climbed over the barriers and went up into the crowd. I think one of his practice shots hit someone there and he went to see if they were alright. 

092.gif

Twig

Quote from: Statto on February 09, 2018, 08:09:48 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on February 09, 2018, 03:34:46 AM

The way that people write off a player as "rubbish" is a bit sad in my view. Just to get a contract with a club, you have to be better than 99% of those who aspire to play. So you are already exceptional. Then luck, injuries, the right manager, being given the opportunity, having good players around you, your personality, your friends and family and other factors can make or break you. To label a player as "rubbish" just because he may or may not make it as one of the few at the top is an easy and unnecessary insult.

But who's called him rubbish or otherwise insulted him on this thread? I've said he's "poor" but you can treat it as implied that I mean, as I imagine everyone on this forum does when they discuss any player's ability, relative to our current standard, ie, top third of the championship.

Indeed the point most people seem to be making is his level is somewhere only a step or two below that, around league one or with the likes of Burton. Clubs who, going back to the original discussion (which was about his likely transfer fee) will pay a lot of money relative to what most of us might pay for a car, but they won't pay >£1m.

I will bet that with anyone on here btw, a tenner.

Statto; Mike W in the OP quoted a fan who said to him that Cauley is "a complete and utter waste of time" you replied unequivocally that you agreed. I think that is calling him rubbish (or can you explain the semantic difference)?  In addition ffcthereligion opined that Cauley is a league two player at best.  In other words even at his best he is only suitable for the lowest tier of the EFL, the implication of course being that at his average performance level he is not even suitable for that level.  So yes, I would say that some have used the thread to denigrate him.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on February 09, 2018, 09:36:17 AM

But who's called him rubbish or otherwise insulted him on this thread? I've said he's "poor" but you can treat it as implied that I mean, as I imagine everyone on this forum does when they discuss any player's ability, relative to our current standard, ie, top third of the championship.

Indeed the point most people seem to be making is his level is somewhere only a step or two below that, around league one or with the likes of Burton. Clubs who, going back to the original discussion (which was about his likely transfer fee) will pay a lot of money relative to what most of us might pay for a car, but they won't pay >£1m.

Statto; Mike W in the OP quoted a fan who said to him that Cauley is "a complete and utter waste of time" you replied unequivocally that you agreed. I think that is calling him rubbish (or can you explain the semantic difference)?  In addition ffcthereligion opined that Cauley is a league two player at best.  In other words even at his best he is only suitable for the lowest tier of the EFL, the implication of course being that at his average performance level he is not even suitable for that level.  So yes, I would say that some have used the thread to denigrate him.

Cauley Woodrow is not rubbish or a waste of time, far from it, how can anyone call a player of his standard a waste of time.
It can be a nasty phrase when it's put in that context.
Leave the guy alone.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ffcthereligion

I dont denigrate his character or personality, I don't know him personally so how could I. But yes, I do standby my assessment of his poor footballing abilities. What did he ever offer?

I do remember one highlight, a cracking goal away at Rotherham away i think it was, made my day up there, however every dog has it's day (Kavanagh's pinger at home to Norwich for those who scoff at that).

Im sure he's a nice lad was honest on the pitch and tried would give him a clap if he ever came back.

Snibbo

To state that Cauley has "poor footballing abilities" is utter nonsense. As HD said "Cauley has scored in the Championship, the FA Cup, the League Cup, AND the Premier League, and SEVEN times in an England shirt.". You don't do that with poor footballing abilities.  He's a professional footballer for God's sake. You may not think he fits into our team but don't write him off just because you think he's not up to the very high standard currently set by Fulham

cmg

Cauley Woodrow (23)
75 Championship games
2707 on field minutes
14 goals
4 assists
193'/goal

Zach Clough (22)
64 Championship games
4029 on field minutes
16 goals
3 assists
252'/goal

If I was Clough's agent (which I am not) I would point out that he is one year younger and that his managers have been more inclined to give him a regular starting slot.

If I was Woodrow's agent (which I am not) I would point out that he has been selected to represent England at u17, u20 and u21 (17 caps, 7 goals) levels and has scored a goal in the PL.

grandad

Sadly I can see him out on loan till his contract runs down & then go on a free to a League 1 or 2 side.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Snibbo on February 09, 2018, 11:45:00 AM
To state that Cauley has "poor footballing abilities" is utter nonsense. As HD said "Cauley has scored in the Championship, the FA Cup, the League Cup, AND the Premier League, and SEVEN times in an England shirt.". You don't do that with poor footballing abilities.  He's a professional footballer for God's sake. You may not think he fits into our team but don't write him off just because you think he's not up to the very high standard currently set by Fulham

You might think its nonsense but that doesn't make you right, nor am i saying that i am objectively correct. My personal opinion is that his career is sliding downwards because he's a lower league player.

Snibbo

Quote from: ffcthereligion on February 09, 2018, 12:40:28 PM
Quote from: Snibbo on February 09, 2018, 11:45:00 AM

You might think its nonsense but that doesn't make you right, nor am i saying that i am objectively correct. My personal opinion is that his career is sliding downwards because he's a lower league player.

You're changing tack aren't you.  You said he had poor footballing abilities.  That is clearly nonsense for a player with his record.

Twig

Quote from: ffcthereligion on February 09, 2018, 10:43:43 AM

I dont denigrate his character or personality, I don't know him personally so how could I. But yes, I do standby my assessment of his poor footballing abilities. What did he ever offer?

I do remember one highlight, a cracking goal away at Rotherham away i think it was, made my day up there, however every dog has it's day (Kavanagh's pinger at home to Norwich for those who scoff at that).

Im sure he's a nice lad was honest on the pitch and tried would give him a clap if he ever came back.

Whoever suggested you denigrated him as a person? You denigrated his professional ability. End of.