watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- Johnny Haynes

Started by bog, February 07, 2018, 02:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Have just finished reading the book by James Gardner about our Maestro. This a present bought by me for me and given to my wife to give to me as a surprise Christmas present. I really do recommend this book. The older supporters like me and saw him play should hang on every word and those who did not you have to read this. It will give you some idea of how much he was admired. I am not giving all the contents away but I have to say I would never have thought that Johnny Giles and Billy Bremner both idolised Johnny. I found it a very emotional read. What an exceptional talent we had in our team.   :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif   

Dodgin

Good feeling to have witnessed our greatest player.

filham

Tell us a little more about the book, is it new and what is in it that we don't already know. Is it available in the club shop.

cmg

Johnny Haynes: Portrait of a Football Genius by James Gardner

published in the summer. available from Amazon, club store, etc., etc.

A warm and affectionate story of a great footballer and his times.

Those of us who saw him play will always consider ourselves lucky to have seen this kind of special talent. Never having had the privilege of meeting him, the book makes it clearly what a thoroughly decent bloke he was.

My favourite anecdote:
As is known Haynes lived out his final years happily in Scotland where he had a much lower profile than he would have had in London.
One night he went with a friend to a 'do' in Aberdeen where he fell into conversation with a local. The Aberdonian, recognizing Johnny's London accent but having no idea who he was asked him what team he supported.
"Fulham," said Johnny.
"Ah," said the Scotsman, showing a bit of interest. "Then you have probably heard of Graham Leggat."
"Yes," admitted Johnny.
"Used to play for Aberdeen, you know. Big hero around here. Scored the winner against you lot at Hampden in 1956."
"I think you'll find that was a 1-1 draw," replied Johnny.
"Really?", said the bloke, a bit taken aback. "How come you know that?"
"I scored the equalizer." 

bobbo

Quote from: cmg on February 07, 2018, 03:47:23 PM

Those of us who saw him play will always consider ourselves lucky to have seen this kind of special talent. Never having had the privilege of meeting him, the book makes it clearly what a thoroughly decent bloke he was.

My favourite anecdote:
As is known Haynes lived out his final years happily in Scotland where he had a much lower profile than he would have had in London.
One night he went with a friend to a 'do' in Aberdeen where he fell into conversation with a local. The Aberdonian, recognizing Johnny's London accent but having no idea who he was asked him what team he supported.
"Fulham," said Johnny.
"Ah," said the Scotsman, showing a bit of interest. "Then you have probably heard of Graham Leggat."
"Yes," admitted Johnny.
"Used to play for Aberdeen, you know. Big hero around here. Scored the winner against you lot at Hampden in 1956."

classic.

I met him and of course saw him play having been going since 1958. He was a gentleman , I only met him when I was in my 30's so found it easier to speak to him than when I was seeking his autograph as a youngster.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

filham

I will have to read this book sounds good. I must have watched most of Johnny's matches at the Cottage, no doubt he was a pure genius and the title of Maestro couldn't have been more apt.

I remember what would have been one of the more recent interviews with Johnny, late in his retirement , when he was asked if he was jealous of the enormous salaries paid to modern footballers. His reply was a clear no but he said that what he really envied was the light ball and high quality pitches they played on.

Can you imagine what Johnny would have produced on the modern pitch.

Fernhurst

Thank you Bog, great timing I've got a big birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, better start dropping hints.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

grandad

Met the Maestro many times. Neighbours opposite were very good friends of Tosh Chamberlain. Once a week Tosh & Johnny came over for afternoon tea. "Spud" Murphy, our neighbour invited me over many times.
Where there's a will there's a wife

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

bog

Been out since I posted this. Some great replies. I love the one about Johnny saying he scored that equaliser. As well the reason why Malcolm MacDonald left is cleared up. It really is a wonderful read. My first ever recollection of Fulham is my long gone father telling me before the first game in 1953 was 'Fulham have got this really good young player called Johnny Haynes'. You have to get it Fernhurst!  :Haynes The Maestro:

bog

Quote from: filham on February 07, 2018, 06:30:24 PM
I will have to read this book sounds good. I must have watched most of Johnny's matches at the Cottage, no doubt he was a pure genius and the title of Maestro couldn't have been more apt.

I remember what would have been one of the more recent interviews with Johnny, late in his retirement , when he was asked if he was jealous of the enormous salaries paid to modern footballers. His reply was a clear no but he said that what he really envied was the light ball and high quality pitches they played on.

Can you imagine what Johnny would have produced on the modern pitch.

Breathtaking comes to mind.

092.gif

Fernhurst

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: cmg on February 07, 2018, 03:47:23 PM

My favourite anecdote:
"Fulham," said Johnny.
"Yes," admitted Johnny.

Brilliant.

Mince n Tatties

I had the privilege of speaking to him and Tosh after a game they attended with other ex players.Johnny was a season ticket holder at Hearts.

bugsy

Quote from: grandad on February 07, 2018, 08:00:26 PM
Met the Maestro many times. Neighbours opposite were very good friends of Tosh Chamberlain. Once a week Tosh & Johnny came over for afternoon tea. "Spud" Murphy, our neighbour invited me over many times.
Fantastic post.

sunburywhite

Quote from: Fernhurst on February 07, 2018, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: sunburywhite on February 07, 2018, 08:29:09 PM
Was he any good?  :hook:

Better than anything before or since Sunbury.
Dear Fenhurst-

It was a wind up

I remeber seeing JH in my formative years

Only issue was I didint realise at the time how good he was
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

RaySmith

A  major reason why my dad took me to see Fulham in the first place, since he was was a Palace fan and we lived in south-east London.
'He's the best passer of a ball you'll ever see' my dad said.

And he was right of course.

I went on to see Johnny play countless times for Fulham, and off- pitch I used to regularly get his autograph, and he would  always patiently  sign all the kids' books and photos, as long as we formed a queue. even though he usually left the Cottage  quite late after the game.  Some lesser players wouldn't always sign, but Johnny always did- no fuss, just a gentleman.

The book sounds a great read.

Dr Know

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 07, 2018, 09:41:38 PM
I had the privilege of speaking to him and Tosh after a game they attended with other ex players.Johnny was a season ticket holder at Hearts.
In july 1999 i went up to tyncastle to watch the hearts v fulham friendly and Johnny kicked the game off .

bigalffc

Ah! I never met him but he was my hero as kid will definitely get this book , such wonderful memories
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

FulhamKC

I just read he was the first British footballer to make 100 quid per week.