watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- Johnny Haynes

Started by bog, February 07, 2018, 02:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Pele went on record saying he was the best passer of a ball he ever saw. I have an England international programme from the 50's v Italy I think and the pen picture of Johnny includes a comment from the Manager of Brazil. He said that Johnny was the best passer he ever saw anywhere in the world. If he had played for a bigger club he would often be remembered. Jimmy Greaves said he was better than Bobby Charlton. What a duo Jimmy and Johnny were. If he had not had that car crash at Blackpool he may well have played in the '66 side.  When he was living in Edinburgh he used to be out at 4am helping with his wife's laundry business.  It is a privilege that I saw most of his career. 

092.gif

cmg

Quote from: bog on February 08, 2018, 08:35:58 AM
...What a duo Jimmy and Johnny were....

You can say that again!
From a trawl through the records it seems that they played together 24 times (for England, England u23 and the London XI that competed in the Inter-Cities Cup, forerunner of the Europa League). The partnership produced 32 goals (Greaves 24, Haynes 8).

Fernhurst

If assist stats were gathered back then 90% of Jimmy's goals would read assist Haynes.

The pair of them could think quicker than rest of the England team together.

Although the interest was strong from Spurs, Johnny remained with us, but if they had teamed up..... Wow!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Pity we never spotted Jimmy as a youngster! Am just imagining them both playing for us..... :003:

092.gif