watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

History of The Royal Navy

Started by Peabody, February 05, 2010, 10:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Did anyone watch Empire of The Seas on BBC2 over the last few weeks. Excellant series, hope Finn managed to see it.

Scrumpy

Yep, I find myself watching this sort of thing more and more. Wish I had paid more attention at school etc. An excellent series.

'The modern world has been built on foundations laid by the Royal Navy'. Too true. They helped a small, poor island become a massive empire.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

White Noise

Yes, Dan Snow has finally found his forte and the BBC have suddenly realised that this country's history is as rich a source of televisual material as you will ever need.

Andrew Marr and David Dimbleby can't get enough of the British history series followed by a book concept.

Hopefully it will mean fewer comedians doing travelogs. I learnt more in the first 10 minutes of Dan Snow's first programme than in the whole of Stepehen Fry in Anmerica.

FatFreddysCat

No but if you go on Sky anytime and watch Bizzare animal friends, i think you'll find the dog and the orangatang thing very cute, CUTE?? my God i'm going soft. Haven't watched the rest yet, but honestly the above thing is very good.

OldBrownShoe

Great series if far too short. I swear I saw Corked Hat collecting (messages in) bottles along the coast of Australia. ;D

After Trafalgar the French kept their distance didn't they?!
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

finnster01

Mr Peabody,

Unfortunately I did not catch it. I am back in the US. Trust me to miss something like that which I really wanted to watch. I'm sure they'll send it again though or I can get it on DVD. Thanks for letting me know though. Didn't even know it was on.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

I love stuff like this but found the series a little irritating. Tell me the story and the facts but do we need Dan Snow walking up there and going down there and standing here?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 06, 2010, 01:06:14 AM
I love stuff like this but found the series a little irritating. Tell me the story and the facts but do we need Dan Snow walking up there and going down there and standing here?

And they call me a miserable old git!

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on February 05, 2010, 10:44:09 PM
Mr Peabody,

Unfortunately I did not catch it. I am back in the US. Trust me to miss something like that which I really wanted to watch. I'm sure they'll send it again though or I can get it on DVD. Thanks for letting me know though. Didn't even know it was on.

Hey Mr. Finn,
Do you have satellite TV whilst in the States? If so, checkout the History, War and Military channels for this, as they often carry BBC-made programs such as this, on there, in due course.

fulhamguy

I've had it recording on my Sky Plus but haven't watched it yet... this post tells me I should watch it!
COYW!

epsomraver

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 06, 2010, 01:06:14 AM
Sorry but I think in this instance it adds to the story showing the place in modern times, beats the stupidity of the news channels having a reporter standing outside the front of some government building watched by a bored security guard late at night, place all closed up, now that is irritating!

Tor

Gah! I didn't even realise there was something like that on - and I love the Navy. Might catch it on iPlayer or something.

Thanks for the heads up!

Lighthouse

Empire Of The Seas is still available on BBC I Player. All the episodes are still there.

epsomR - Yes you are right about the news items. It was just this interrupted the story a bit for me.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

I take your point but I can listen to Dan snow, Dimbleby and Marr are too pompous and don't have the passion he has, I have stood on the wreck at Beachy Head having no idea it was  a scuppered war ship!

White Noise

Quote from: epsomraver on February 06, 2010, 11:46:23 AM
I take your point but I can listen to Dan snow, Dimbleby and Marr are too pompous and don't have the passion he has, I have stood on the wreck at Beachy Head having no idea it was  a scuppered war ship!

Yes, I had never heard of the Battle of Beachy Head or learnt that the national debt was established to rebuild the navy and that it was the single biggest factor in British pre-eminence over the following 200 years. The stuff about the West Indies and their importance and the efforts we made to defend them was new to me as well. And I like British history!  I agree about Dimbleby and Marr.