News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A LEAGUE NEWS - New owner, Jets saved for 2010/11 season.

Started by michaelread, September 22, 2010, 04:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelread

Jets survive with new owners
22/09/2010 12:34 PM
Sportal

Newcastle Jets will at least get to see out the A-League season after FFA withdrew the club's licence from Con Constantine and backed local businessman Nathan Tinkler as the new owner.

The Jets' future had been clouded in recent weeks because of their inability to pay staff, with FFA last week having to step in with a temporary loan that allowed players and officials to be paid.

But with that loan only covering Newcastle's debts until Monday just gone, the long-term future of the club remained very much a concern with the possibility it would have to be wound up immediately.

And while the league had worked with Constantine to try to find a suitable solution, FFA announced on Wednesday that it had stepped in and given the licence previously held by Constantine to Tinkler, who to this point has only committed until the end of the 2010-11 season.

"We have signed an agreement with Nathan Tinkler which secures the club's participation for this season," said FFA chief executive Ben Buckley.

"The agreement also grants an option for him to acquire the licence for the long-term."

"This is a fantastic result for the Hyundai A-League, the club and the people of the Newcastle area."

"Starting immediately we will be working with Nathan to broaden the support base of the club and engage the entire football and business community of the Hunter region in a campaign to secure its future in the Hyundai A-League for years to come."

Buckley also thanked Constantine for his involvement with the Jets from their inception five years ago.

"Con has been the key figure in the establishment of a proud and successful club with the high point being its premiership win in 2008," Buckley added.

"He has been a tremendous supporter of football in this country for many years and he has thrown his heart and soul into the game and the Newcastle Jets."

"I would like to thank him on behalf of the football community for all that he has done over the years."

"I would also like to thank the players, staff and fans of the Newcastle Jets for their patience during the past couple of weeks."

Tinkler, better known in sporting circles for his massive investment in the horse racing industry in recent years, wants to see the club succeed long-term even if he hasn't committed to being part of that.

"My family and I have been supporters of the Newcastle Jets for years and we are delighted to be able to step in and support the club for the city of Newcastle," Tinkler said.

"I have no desire to own a football club but provide a nursery for the development of the game for the thousands of young football players in the Hunter region."

"I urge all of the Hunter community to get behind the Jets and show their support by showing up for the games and becoming members of the club."

"We are keen to get as many sponsors on board as possible. Newcastle deserves a top-class A-League team and we are keen to help rebuild the club for the city."

"I have faith in the A-League and the concept of the national competition and I expect Newcastle will play a big role in that future."

Steve_orino

A club being supported by the League is never a good thing...my local Baseball team was going through that recently. 

The owner - as you might be aware - none other than Hicks himself...
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

SteveM19

If it was only the Newcastle in England that was face down in the mud. They looked their best that way...

Logicalman

Quote from: Steve_orino on September 22, 2010, 11:31:28 PM
A club being supported by the League is never a good thing...my local Baseball team was going through that recently. 

What's the connection with Hicks, then Steve?

Steve_orino

Quote from: Logicalman on September 27, 2010, 10:05:53 PM

The Hick-owned Baseball Team, the Texas Rangers, was at one point owned/controlled/run by Major League Baseball.  MLB, even loaned money to the team in order to meet payroll expenses (much like the FFA & the Newcastle Jets).

Thankfully, a recent auction found a new owner for the Team. 
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Quote from: Steve_orino on September 27, 2010, 11:31:24 PM

The Hick-owned Baseball Team, the Texas Rangers, was at one point owned/controlled/run by Major League Baseball. MLB, even loaned money to the team in order to meet payroll expenses (much like the FFA & the Newcastle Jets).

a precedent which led another former owner of the Rangers to do the same to the banking industry right around the same time. That owner being, of course, George W. Bush.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Steve_orino

Quote from: HatterDon on September 28, 2010, 02:51:54 PM
Quote from: Steve_orino on September 27, 2010, 11:31:24 PM

The Hick-owned Baseball Team, the Texas Rangers, was at one point owned/controlled/run by Major League Baseball. MLB, even loaned money to the team in order to meet payroll expenses (much like the FFA & the Newcastle Jets).

a precedent which led another former owner of the Rangers to do the same to the banking industry right around the same time. That owner being, of course, George W. Bush.

From the great '90's commercial..."I learned it by watching you"

So can we blame the 'entire world economic downturn' on two former Rangers owners?  Ouch, LB, that was my hand... :doh:
@Borino09