watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Russia World Cup 2018

Started by One James stannard, February 23, 2018, 10:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One James stannard

Anyone going? If so please stay safe, I've a horrible feeling about this tournament  :016:

bog

Quote from: One James stannard on February 23, 2018, 10:22:13 AM
Anyone going? If so please stay safe, I've a horrible feeling about this tournament  :016:

:plus one:

Milo

Sister lives in Moscow and can confirm Russians there very pleasant. Extremely tidy city and a fantastic place to visit.

I fear more the lager louts from here going over there and giving us a bad name personally. Utterly embarrassed at the behaviour of our fans at times in major tournaments and friendlies abroad.

That said, there will no doubt be some ultra nationalists (? I think that's what they're called) with their shaved heads looking to cause trouble on the Russian side. I just don't think some groups of our fans have the intelligence to stay clear...

Oh geez it's just not very fulhamish at all. Take me home... Al Fayed!

MrD1879

Quote from: Milo on February 23, 2018, 12:43:43 PM
Sister lives in Moscow and can confirm Russians there very pleasant. Extremely tidy city and a fantastic place to visit.

I fear more the lager louts from here going over there and giving us a bad name personally. Utterly embarrassed at the behaviour of our fans at times in major tournaments and friendlies abroad.

That said, there will no doubt be some ultra nationalists (? I think that's what they're called) with their shaved heads looking to cause trouble on the Russian side. I just don't think some groups of our fans have the intelligence to stay clear...

Our fans were systimactly targeted by organised Russian gangs in Marseille. There will always be an element of the "lager lout" that follow England away but what happened in France was soat the door of the Russians state sponsored gangs. An absolutely ridiculous decision to give them a tournament  (let them buy one) that will result in fatalities

Holders

Quote from: MrD1879 on February 23, 2018, 12:52:23 PM

Our fans were systimactly targeted by organised Russian gangs in Marseille. There will always be an element of the "lager lout" that follow England away but what happened in France was soat the door of the Russians state sponsored gangs. An absolutely ridiculous decision to give them a tournament  (let them buy one) that will result in fatalities

Agreed, they should never have been sold it.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Slaphead in Qatar

Would like to go but genuinely scared off by potential for violence. Also know 3 separate people who went there on business over the years and were racially abused on the tube there.

Woolly Mammoth

I am considering going there with my sons and some friends, there could be some distance between going from one venue to the next. Then of course there is the cost.
I was once advised to never play Roulette with a Russian.

The last time I was there, I met this Russian woman who asked me if I had read Marx on Communism.
I said " no I have not, but I have red marks on my bottom. "
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bill2

The biggest fear should be if you are travelling internally by air, friend in the aviation business said, some years ago, he would not fly an internal Russian carrier. While they do have their fair share of thugs it is the racism I feel could be more of a problem.

However, they have some fantastic cities with loads of history.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on February 23, 2018, 05:18:18 PM
Quote from: MrD1879 on February 23, 2018, 12:52:23 PM

Agree. I don't want to get into an argument where I'm perceived to be justifying hooliganism but in my era (early 1990s onwards) and experience at Fulham the bottom line is in the UK it has always involved 2 sets of consenting adults who were up for it. Whilst ugly and intimidating for innocent bystanders to see, I've never seen them targeted. The Russian stuff was in total contrast to that - targeting the elderly, parents with their kids and other peaceful people there purely to watch their national team. And as you say it was effectively state-sponsored. Whatever happens it will be entirely down to the Russians and their simple culture (which is a good 50+ years behind ours) and to the bent officials at FIFA whom they bribed.

Absolutely spot on and accurate.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SP

The BBC reported yesterday that one of the Russian thugs from the Marseille violence had been arrested when he took a connecting flight in Germany for a Eurora League match.  I can't believe the clown could be so naive but let's hope he gets a long sentence.