watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Derby: The locals guide

Started by Milo, February 26, 2018, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

I like the idea of Fulham supporting locals from each away game coming together to help construct a bit of an up-to-date guide to the area.

Let's start with Derby.

Briefly, I've lived there for a year as part of my medical training and now live in nearby Nottingham. I still work at the hospital there. I've been to some of the local drinking spots and can fill in a few blanks for our visiting fans! Hoping some proper locals pitch up and help out too, though!

Pub Recommendation

Brunswick -

Description: Frequent CAMRA pub of the year for the area. Brews own beer. All very reasonable at circa £2.75 a pint.
Directions: 5 minute walk from the station if that (come out main entrance, turn right and keep walking till you see it on your left).
Beer suggestion: Their own porter very much recommended in this weather.

Other suggestions: Greyhound (haphazard layout inside, but cozy with local beer), The Tap (never been myself shockingly but well regarded local brewery).
Further afield: The Farmhouse (Mackworth) is 10min drive but the wife will enjoy it as more of a gastropub. Fancy a spot of luxury? Quarndon is an expensive area 10-15 minutes away and despite poor beer choice The Joiners Arms makes up for it with fireplaces and a cosy atmosphere.

Culture Recommendations

Cultural hot spots are in short supply but the Derby Art Gallery and Museum is worth a visit if only for the fantastic collection of Joseph Wright of Derby paintings. It is free entry, and all the classic Wright paintings are on display eg The Alchemist and the Philospher/Orrey.

I'll leave it there in the hope a few other locals perk up!

P.s. Would be nice to keep this going each week... so get thinking if you spot your local away game coming up!

hovewhite

Where do the away team coaches pick up after the game?