more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Short corners

Started by irishfulham, February 26, 2018, 08:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishfulham

Anyone else get frustrated from them?

9 times out of 10 we take the corner short and imo aren't very good at it can only remember one recent one which led to target having a half chance and getting a shot away but we often lose the ball or end up Passing back to the half way line why not gamble and throw one or two into mitros head

Carborundum

I'm with you.

Now given we are second highest scorers in the Championship, there's no objective basis for my complaint.  Lots of things go wrong in football.  One way or another we are pretty good at bringing ball and back of net into adjacency.

But, there's  a stat that OPTA doesn't capture.  A mate of mine described a game I had turned up late to in the following way:  "Fifteen minutes in and we haven't had an "oooh"". I knew exactly what he meant.

Corners crossed into the middle not too close to the goalie tend to make me say "oooh".  Short corners tend to make me groan.  Once in a while to keep opposition on their toes, fine.  Served up as standard and I'm feeling short-changed.

irishfulham

They just don't seem to work even if we have a small team at least we have a chance to put the opposition defenders under a bit of pressure or have a header out gonto cairneys left foot

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: irishfulham on February 26, 2018, 08:27:03 PM
Anyone else get frustrated from them?

9 times out of 10 we take the corner short and imo aren't very good at it can only remember one recent one which led to target having a half chance and getting a shot away but we often lose the ball or end up Passing back to the half way line why not gamble and throw one or two into mitros head

Yes.

Milo

Can't remember a short corner leading to a goal in my life. The stats must be heavily against it. No idea why we bother.

HAVING SAID THAT when we are all over teams it is a sensible option as they're so pegged back in their box that it allows us to just resume normal service poking holes in them from the edge of the box which is no bad thing.

ToodlesMcToot

I think your answer lies in statistics. They show that less than 2% of corners result in goals. This is from a study of more than 12000 corner attempts in the PL of which less than 12% resulted in a shot on goal.

A team like Fulham whose strength is in possessing the ball and creating opportunities from open play is better served keeping the ball instead of kicking it into a scrum hoping something good happens.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Slaphead in Qatar

Short corners and Betts always playing it out from the back are my 2 main points of concern. One day in a crucial game we will concede a goal due to the playing out from the back situation.

toshes mate

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 27, 2018, 12:40:25 AM
I think your answer lies in statistics. They show that less than 2% of corners result in goals. This is from a study of more than 12000 corner attempts in the PL of which less than 12% resulted in a shot on goal.

A team like Fulham whose strength is in possessing the ball and creating opportunities from open play is better served keeping the ball instead of kicking it into a scrum hoping something good happens.
I think you hit the nail on the head.  Our game is keeping the football, with a sharp eye on opponents leaving an opening or weakness uncovered.  Short corners can take defenders out of the box but much depends on how you set up your attack prior to the corner kick.  We score by being in possession of the football and an attack can be started from anywhere on the pitch but not necessarily via route one..

the nutflush

Totally over the short corner. 

MJG

Spot on with this, both stats and reason why we do short corners at times.
Just the views of a long term fan

ron

My grandfather (who supported the club from 1907 for 76 years) always said "A short corner is a waste of a man". I never disagreed.

grandad

Now we have Mitrovic we may see more long corners. Not since Roger Brown & more recently Hangeland have we had players who could attack corners. We also have very poor corner takers. Maybe at home this is due to the slope upwards at the corners. Targett seems to be our best at corner taking so perhaps things may change.
Barcelona hardly use long corners as they prefer to keep possession.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Andy S

I hate long corners as they are a total waste of time. Why do you think there is so much pushing and shoving before a corner? It is to put players off their game. No foul as until the ball is kicked it is not in play. The short ball out is far better than a big boot up to the half way line where you give your opponent a 50/50 chance of winning the ball. I understand that the big boot is understood by people and there is a place for it but football has moved on.

BedsFFC

Not at all. We are so good at them compared to all the other teams we play.

It's about one thing. Possession. Then creating space by moving the opposition.

One poster mentioned the goal kicks. I remember on here a while back, many posters complaining about building from the back. Yes, we might lose it but we invariably don't. The alternative is the keeper whacks it upfield. What happens then? I don't even need to say.

Same with a corner. Put it like this. We are not a big team but now we have some organisation, we are not really threatened by corners against us irrelevant of how big the opposition is. We nearly always win the first ball.

You can see the players have completely bought into it and it must be a dream to play in a team like FFC at the moment. There isn't really a half measure. That's the way we play.

If we were a team that banged the ball in the box from corners or the keeper just whacked it upfield. And most teams do, Sessegnon would not have scored half the goals he has done. He has an uncanny ability to read the game but we are also a team that is pulling defenders all over the place. It's a real benefit to his game

Arthur

I agree, but a short corner should be used as an opportunity to work the ball into a shooting position. Being a set-piece, it's something we can plan, something we can practise on the training ground. Instead, often as not, we seem to be using a short corner simply to get the ball back into play. This, in my view, has ended up back-firing on us a number of times. Lose the ball without having worked it into the opposition penalty area (which has happened) and we are more vulnerable than usual to a counter-attack because our defensive shape has been skewed.

Based on what I've seen, I would say we are as likely to concede within twenty seconds of taking a short corner as we are to score. This doesn't seem right. The chances of scoring should be in our favour from our own corner.

Can someone tell me when we last scored from a corner in a league game? Dennis headed a goal from one at Wycombe back in August, and if my memory serves me correctly, Aluko's goal against Hull in the FA Cup last season came from a corner. In the league, however, I've no idea.

toshes mate

Quote from: Arthur on February 27, 2018, 12:02:50 PM

Based on what I've seen, I would say we are as likely to concede within twenty seconds of taking a short corner as we are to score. This doesn't seem right. The chances of scoring should be in our favour from our own corner.

The moment a team loses possession is critical especially when it is 'unexpected'.  Goals are often scored within seconds of a mistake being made.  It is a mistake to give possession away in SJ's style although he doesn't necessarily blame players for it happening.   The crucial thing about the bravery, courage and confidence preached by the coaches is that mistakes become less frequent as players increasingly believe in themselves and their ability, and look for the better, more certain, pass or movement.   It's a learning curve for everybody but it is very beautiful on the eye when done well.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Arthur on February 27, 2018, 12:02:50 PM

I agree, but a short corner should be used as an opportunity to work the ball into a shooting position. Being a set-piece, it's something we can plan, something we can practise on the training ground. Instead, often as not, we seem to be using a short corner simply to get the ball back into play. This, in my view, has ended up back-firing on us a number of times. Lose the ball without having worked it into the opposition penalty area (which has happened) and we are more vulnerable than usual to a counter-attack because our defensive shape has been skewed.

Can someone tell me when we last scored from a corner in a league game? Dennis headed a goal from one at Wycombe back in August, and if my memory serves me correctly, Aluko's goal against Hull in the FA Cup last season came from a corner. In the league, however, I've no idea.

I would think that the short corner, in our case, should most often be used to restart possession only. Re-start play, kick back toward the midfield stripe, truly repossess the ball and draw the defense out of their set-piece shell, so to speak. Then we begin breaking them down as normal. I would bet that the success statistics (I've not seen any) for short corners taken as a set piece to take a shot on goal are actually worse than straightforward corners - a bigger waste of an opportunity.

Only my .02.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

filham

Quote from: grandad on February 27, 2018, 09:05:46 AM
Now we have Mitrovic we may see more long corners. Not since Roger Brown & more recently Hangeland have we had players who could attack corners. We also have very poor corner takers. Maybe at home this is due to the slope upwards at the corners. Targett seems to be our best at corner taking so perhaps things may change.
Barcelona hardly use long corners as they prefer to keep possession.
So right, if we had Gale ,to deliver, and Brown, to head, in the present team we would see more long corners and some goals from them.

The Rock

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on February 27, 2018, 07:13:19 AM
Short corners and Betts always playing it out from the back are my 2 main points of concern. One day in a crucial game we will concede a goal due to the playing out from the back situation.

Betts is quite good, but many of his goal kicks or kicks under mild pressure from the back seem to just be kicked beyond the touchline in the middle of the park and the ball goes to opposition. Pick your poison? I think his distro is his general weakness, which, when we play it out of the back anyway, is something we can live with.