watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next Up: Derby County

Started by Friendsoffulham, February 27, 2018, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

So, after last Saturdays 2-0 win against Wolves, we travel to Pride Park this weekend to take on Derby County 🐏

In the last 6 games, the Rams have Won 1, Lost 1 and Drawn 4.

Not the worst of form, however, they're scoring goals and have a lot of talent in their side.

Chris Baird has also been ruled out of this one, due to suspension.

Not the greatest of hunting grounds for FFC, however, how does Slavisa set his side up for this one, to make sure we come away with the points?

What Team will he put out❓

What Tactics will he use❓

What will the Score be❓

Let us know below..

Burt

Still haven't forgiven them for 1983...

Should I move on?

e4b

NO I was there as well. We shall never forgive or forget!!

Woolly Mammoth

Never forgive never forget. Revenge will be sweet.
If there is a God, then justice should be done on this occasion.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FulhamKC

Can someone tell us newer FFC supporters what happened between us and Derby in 1983?

Woolly Mammoth

My recollection 14th May 1883, it was also on TV. 21,000 + at the Baseball Ground.
Fulham were level on points with Leicester City in the Old Division 2 for second place for promotion to Division One.
We needed a victory. Derby County were fighting relegation. We were 1 0 down at the time, and for a good seven minutes towards the end there were Derby supporters coming down by the touchline kicking Fulham players, one in particular kicked Robert Wilson in the thigh, all witness on TV. The crowd were right by the pitch, like in Park football waiting for the final whistle.
With just over a minute to go Gerry Peyton our Goal Keeper kicked the ball up the field, and the ref blew for off side. The crowd thought it was the final whistle, and that signalled a pitch invasion by thousands of Derby supporters. So the referee had to abandon the game with almost two minutes time remaining.
As our players tried to get through the crowd they were intimidated insulted and assaulted by Derby fans, Geoff Hopkins in particular.
So the bottom line is, that the game was not completed, and it should have been replayed, or at the least the last 2 minutes, as the match was not completed in accordance with League Rules.
I think even Derby County would not have objected or am I wrong. It was their supporters who caused the abandonment.
The Authorities should have had the spine and courage to order a replay. But as is their gutless way, they swept it under the table as usual.
If we had been Manure or Chelski, Liverpool or the Arse, justice would have been done.
One law for the them, but it's always been like that.
What really got under my skin apart from the crowd causing the game to be abandoned, was those 7 minutes towards the end of the game, of pure intimidation and assault from the touchline.
The consequences was that because of this anarchy and gutless corrupt response from the weasels in authority, we never received the justice we deserved, a real black day for us, with no white in sight. 
Therefore, we missed promotion, a complete and utter farce and a travesty of justice because we are little old Fulham, and not one of their blue eyed boys.

Never forget your Roots.

ealex40

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 28, 2018, 12:02:20 AM
My recollection 14th May 1883, it was also on TV. 21,000 + at the Baseball Ground.
Fulham were level on points with Leicester City in the Old Division 2 for second place for promotion to Division One.
We needed a victory. Derby County were fighting relegation. We were 1 0 down at the time, and for a good seven minutes towards the end there were Derby supporters coming down by the touchline kicking Fulham players, one in particular kicked Robert Wilson in the thigh, all witness on TV. The crowd were right by the pitch, like in Park football waiting for the final whistle.
With just over a minute to go Gerry Peyton our Goal Keeper kicked the ball up the field, and the ref blew for off side. The crowd thought it was the final whistle, and that signalled a pitch invasion by thousands of Derby supporters. So the referee had to abandon the game with almost two minutes time remaining.
As our players tried to get through the crowd they were intimidated insulted and assaulted by Derby fans, Geoff Hopkins in particular.
So the bottom line is, that the game was not completed, and it should have been replayed, or at the least the last 2 minutes, as the match was not completed in accordance with League Rules.
I think even Derby County would not have objected or am I wrong. It was their supporters who caused the abandonment.
The Authorities should have had the spine and courage to order a replay. But as is their gutless way, they swept it under the table as usual.
If we had been Manure or Chelski, Liverpool or the Arse, justice would have been done.
What really got under my skin apart from the crowd causing the game to be abandoned, was those 7 minutes towards the end of the game, of pure intimidation and assault from the touchline.
The consequences was that because of this anarchy and gutless corrupt response from the weasels in authority, we never received the justice we deserved, a real black day for us, with no white in sight. 
Therefore, we missed promotion, a complete and utter farce and a travesty of justice because we are little old Fulham, and not one of their blue eyed boys.

Hey Woolly, I know time flies and we all wonder where all the time has gone. But didn't realize that injustice took place 135 years ago. Incidentally, did you know there is a posting on You Tube, showing part of that 'game'.......and I use that word loosely. Choose the 12 minute segment and watch the after match interview with manager Malcolm MacDonald. I am seething once again, so many years later, after watching the way the Derby crowd/mob treated our players and wondering how they were allowed to get away with their actions.

My dad and I went to a match at Derby in 1954 and we drew 3-3. Even then, Derby were a rough team and  our goalie, Ian Black was injured early in the second half (kicked in the shoulder) and played the rest of the game on the left wing. Charlie Mitten went in goal at 2-3 and we equalized for the third time late in the game. I wrote to Ian a few days later, sending photos of all of our players from the local Derby newspaper and he had each autographed, along with a nice letter of thanks for the well wishes.

Good Luck to the lads on Saturday!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ealex40 on February 28, 2018, 01:17:11 AM

Hey Woolly, I know time flies and we all wonder where all the time has gone. But didn't realize that injustice took place 135 years ago. Incidentally, did you know there is a posting on You Tube, showing part of that 'game'.......and I use that word loosely. Choose the 12 minute segment and watch the after match interview with manager Malcolm MacDonald. I am seething once again, so many years later, after watching the way the Derby crowd/mob treated our players and wondering how they were allowed to get away with their actions.

My dad and I went to a match at Derby in 1954 and we drew 3-3. Even then, Derby were a rough team and  our goalie, Ian Black was injured early in the second half (kicked in the shoulder) and played the rest of the game on the left wing. Charlie Mitten went in goal at 2-3 and we equalized for the third time late in the game. I wrote to Ian a few days later, sending photos of all of our players from the local Derby newspaper and he had each autographed, along with a nice letter of thanks for the well wishes.

Good Luck to the lads on Saturday!

:doh:  Blimey 135 years, time does fly, especially during my tea break. I have to admit I do feel that age sometimes.
Just watched that footage on U Tube you mentioned. Yes it's all coming back to me, makes my blood boil.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on February 27, 2018, 08:34:55 PM
So, after last Saturdays 2-0 win against Wolves, we travel to Pride Park this weekend to take on Derby County 🐏

In the last 6 games, the Rams have Won 1, Lost 1 and Drawn 4.

Not the worst of form, however, they're scoring goals and have a lot of talent in their side.

Chris Baird has also been ruled out of this one, due to suspension.

Not the greatest of hunting grounds for FFC, however, how does Slavisa set his side up for this one, to make sure we come away with the points?

What Team will he put out❓

What Tactics will he use❓

What will the Score be❓

Let us know below..

Whatever the tactics, it will certainly be a battle of wits between two outstanding managers.
Nevertheless, it's the players who will have the final say as to how they implement the tactics and  instructions.
It's all on the day like every other game, the players have to win their own battles, and play as a unit as well as they can supporting the man on the ball. If we lose the ball it's important to win it back straight away. All the basics have to mastered. But goals change games whether you are on top or under the cosh. A goal can change the so many things.
I feel a lot more confident since the window closed as we look a better balanced team. We are much harder to score against than we were three months ago, and we are hitting the back of the net with more regularity, and the bench looks a lot stronger.
We have potential match winners on the bench, and potential match savers.
Derby will be under far more pressure than Fulham, I just hope we are given a decent crack of the whip with the referee and linos.
So scoreline: hmmm, no idea it could be a low scoring game, and it could be full of goals.
But I shall forecast a Fulham victory, for various reasons, but what goes round comes round, and this year it's our turn.

Never forget your Roots.

BedsFFC

Small point, but I really don't think it was on TV, as in live on TV. I remember being a young teen and living round the corner and walking down to Lancaster Gate on the day they made their decision. Graham Kelly (remember him) got some stick from the small gathering of fans ouside FA HQ

ffc73

Never get the continued flak over the 1983 Derby game. Yes I was upset at the time but in the cold reality, we blew it before then. Cambridge away, failing to beat Chelsea twice when they were rubbish & should have been relegated to the third tier. I could go on but I won't as I have moved on

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: BedsFFC on February 28, 2018, 04:49:12 PM

Small point, but I really don't think it was on TV, as in live on TV. I remember being a young teen and living round the corner and walking down to Lancaster Gate on the day they made their decision. Graham Kelly (remember him) got some stick from the small gathering of fans ouside FA HQ
That's right, I think the match was shown the following day on the Big Match with the late Brian Moore.
But I believe there were clips shown on TV not long after the match had been abandoned showing the incidents perpertrated by the Derby fans.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC73 on February 28, 2018, 05:12:32 PM
Never get the continued flak over the 1983 Derby game. Yes I was upset at the time but in the cold reality, we blew it before then. Cambridge away, failing to beat Chelsea twice when they were rubbish & should have been relegated to the third tier. I could go on but I won't as I have moved on

I take your point, and I can see where you are coming from.
If we can win or even draw on Saturday, and as a consequence we are promoted, and they are not. Then maybe it will be all put to bed and left to gather dust, as the ghost has been excorsised.
I think possibly why this thread appeared is because of the particular circumstances surrounding this match on this occasion, are similar to the circumstances in 1983 or was it 1883.
So it just opens a few old wounds.

Never forget your Roots.

Riversider

Every likelihood that Saturday will be postponed leaving us nice and fresh for Sheffield United at home.

fulhamtom

I was married that day and still am! I do quote it as the worst day of my life and see her eyes rolling each time. I spent some of my reception in my friend's car getting updates on the radio. I can also confirm that highlights were on TV that night. I seem to recall Match of the Day in my honeymoon hotel room. I spent the next week trying to buy newspapers in Paris to find out the decision on a replay. An understandable but disgraceful decision. I am off to Derby on the coach on Saturday weather permitting with my son.