watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (01/03/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 01, 2018, 06:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Improvements Pushing Fulham Upwards By Season End?

Time for the special computer that crunches the numbers to determine the final Championship positions for the season of 2017/18.

Last season the Octopus feature was a late arrival for the Championship - it was off having its tentacles given a Brazilian for all I know.

Then again I still don't know why I call a number crunching supercomputer an Octopus but some things are probably best left unasked.

In any event here are the updated Championship predictions for the season of 2017/18 after all sides have played 33 games of the campaign.

Who goes down?! Who is the current favourite to lift the title this year?

Well you don't have to guess.

With some playing 34 games in the Championship in the season of 2017/18, the current favourite to lift the title are Wolverhampton Wanderers with 99 points. Cardiff City sit in second place on 87.

The Play Off spots are also pretty nailed on if the predictions are to be believed - Aston Villa, Derby County, Fulham and Bristol City. Middlesbrough lose out by two points.

At the other end of the table it's also pretty nailed on with Burton Albion, Birmingham City and Sunderland all predicted for the drop. Barnsley in 21st place escape by four points.

The one thing that can't be ignored though is there is a hell of a lot of football still to be played even though we find ourselves almost in March and sides that have started well may fade away and others could find form as the months tick by, but this is a bit of fun - I wouldn't bet your house on it!

The predictions are a reflection on the season so far, and absolutely nothing more, and in most cases the next fixture day could cause wholescale changes to the table.

For Fulham specifically, last month the Octopus had them sitting in sixth place in the table on 78 points, but this month Fulham climb to fifth place and are now predicted to finish the season on 83 points.

Fulham are set to go into the Play Off battle with increased form and that will be a boost for fans as they look for a return to the top flight under Slavisa Jovanovic.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=522883#ixzz58TgEdxo9

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon fueling Fulham's Premier League promotion push

May 18, 2018. Highly-rated forward Ryan Sessegnon's 18th birthday falls just eight days before this season's Championship play-off final is set to take place at Wembley. His strike against Wolves last weekend was his 13th of the season. Only four players have more in England's second tier this season. The youngster is doing his best to give himself and Fulham fans the ideal birthday gift.

The Cottagers' league unbeaten run extended to 12 after the 2-0 win over the leaders on Saturday. Naturally, they are justified in quietly believing automatic promotion is still a realistic target. Following last year's playoff semifinal defeat to Reading, the collective effort to ensure history does not repeat itself in consecutive seasons is fully evident and the club's youngest first-team player is at the forefront of the promotion push.

Sessegnon completed his senior breakthrough last season. He has established himself as a first-team regular under Slaviša Jokanović, embracing the challenges that come with an ambitious project.

After a Man of the Match performance and well-taken brace away against Newcastle in 2016/17, Ryan's status as one of England's most talented youngsters suddenly accelerated. The way in which he operated at St. James Park, unfazed by the occasion and eager to take players on, instantly stood him out from the typical youth prospect despite being regularly stationed at left-back.

As with Gareth Bale at Spurs, it became increasingly clear that while Sessegnon was capable defensively, the position stifled his true potential going forward. Occasionally he still fills the role. Now it's more about accommodating the team rather than undervaluing his abilities. After all, he's Fulham's top scorer.

Humble beginnings, added responsibility
For someone so young to take this all in stride says a lot about Ryan's character. He's being kept humble by friends and family. Younger brother Steven plays for Fulham's U23s. Watching him tread the same path constantly reminds Ryan of his own trials and that he has further to rise, more work to do.

On the pitch, he has taken on more responsibility for Fulham this term and continues to earn plaudits for exciting performances. If last season was his breakthrough campaign, this term shows his momentum continues. With 38 scoring chances created, 43 successful take-ons, and an improved shooting percentage, Sessegnon continues to excel at a pivotal stage in his development. Only Manchester City's Sergio Aguero has netted more goals across England's top four divisions in 2018.

Not a striker by any means, Sessegnon has scored the bulk of his goals when operating down the left wing. Crucially, he has already developed tendencies one links with strikers. He has excellent spatial awareness and anticipates opportunities before defenders can react. His blistering turn of pace makes him a nightmare for markers. His vision has allowed him to link up well with teammates.

Defensively, there are also improvements. He's already won 34 aerial duels compared to 18 all last term. There are still three months left to play this season. Meanwhile, 33 successful tackles, 18 interceptions and 59 clearances prove he's willing to do the dirty work to regain possession.

Success at international level
Sessegnon played a significant part in England's success at the U19 level last summer when Keith Downing's side won the European Championships for the first time in more than 20 years. You could argue Sessegnon's extra motivation has stemmed from his exploits in Georgia. He started every match in his favoured role on the left, netting three goals during the tournament.

From that title-winning squad, only Sessegnon, fullback Jay Dasilva (Chelsea, on-loan at Charlton) and creative midfielder Mason Mount (Chelsea, on-loan at Vitesse) have since played regularly in a first-team. It speaks volumes for the development of youngsters. Those who are prepared to take risks by going out on loan or not necessarily choosing the most promising sides are often those who benefit most.

Transfer talk inevitable
Sessegnon's stock continues to rise. For all Fulham's prestige, they're resigned to losing their wunderkind at some stage. It's a case of when not if. Transfer speculation has mooted Tottenham as frontrunners for his signature. It is said they are prepared to pay a premium for his services, between the region of £35-50m.

It is Tottenham we're discussing, so premium sounds a bit incredible, but Liverpool, Manchester United, PSG and Real Madrid are just a handful of other clubs who reportedly have registered an interest. For the moment, however, all signs are Sessegnon is happy to remain at Craven Cottage for the time being. He signed his first professional contract just before July's U19 Euros. There are no clauses which give bigger clubs free reign over his future.

I'm excited to see what's in front of me at this club. Hopefully we can all push on now. Last year I got a lot of opportunities from the gaffer and I just want to continue that."

It's something he's been keen to echo throughout the campaign, whenever questioned about his loyalties. Whether that be through his celebrations with the badge or post-match interviews.

"Credit to the gaffer for playing me in a higher position, I think credit also to the team as we're playing well - it's making me better." Sessegnon post-match after last weekend's win over leaders Wolves

Fulham are his boyhood club. Why would he leave without being granted first-team assurances in his preferred position at better sides? Right now the quest for Premier League promotion is his top priority. As it should be.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/ryan-sessegnon-fueling-fulham-premier-league-promotion-push-championship

WhiteJC

Fulham's 6-0 defeat to Chelsea doesn't tell the whole story - the future is bright at Craven Cottage

Ryan O'Donovan was at the Cottage to see the U18s in the Youth Cup - here's why he thinks the future is bright despite the result

A 6-0 defeat never looks good.

No matter if it's first team, U23s or U18s, people will always look at the scoreline and think one team was completely outclassed by the other, and nine times out of ten they'd probably be right.

But that wouldn't tell the entire story of Fulham's FA Youth Cup exit to Chelsea on Tuesday night, where the Young Whites more than held their own against one of, if not the best youth set-up in the country.

And that quality was clear to see - the likes of Dujon Sterling and Callum Hudson-Odoi will certainly have a career in the Premier League, while you have to mention Ethan Ampadu, who despite not playing, is featuring for the first team at Stamford Bridge and is still eligible to play in this competition.

A 6-0 defeat never looks good.

No matter if it's first team, U23s or U18s, people will always look at the scoreline and think one team was completely outclassed by the other, and nine times out of ten they'd probably be right.

But that wouldn't tell the entire story of Fulham's FA Youth Cup exit to Chelsea on Tuesday night, where the Young Whites more than held their own against one of, if not the best youth set-up in the country.

And that quality was clear to see - the likes of Dujon Sterling and Callum Hudson-Odoi will certainly have a career in the Premier League, while you have to mention Ethan Ampadu, who despite not playing, is featuring for the first team at Stamford Bridge and is still eligible to play in this competition.

Jayden Harris of Fulham (Image: Paul Burgman)

The future is bright for Fulham.

S. Sessegnon showed last night why he's training with the first team and why he's on the brink of breaking into Slavisa Jokanovic's team, while there were eye-catching performances all round.

Luca Ashby-Hammond, despite conceding six goals, looked assured in goal, and with Julian Schwarzer, Mark's son, on the bench, Fulham's pedigree of producing strong keepers looks set to continue.

Meanwhile, Francois, like all of the U18s it has to be said, was comfortable on the ball and caused Chelsea more than a few problems, while subs Hilton and Timmy Abraham both look to possess quality that could see them one day grace the first team.

Julian Schwarzer of Fulham (Image: Paul Burgman)

I spoke to Huw Jennings, Fulham's Academy Director a few months back, and he said he didn't want Fulham's season to be defined by their FA Youth Cup run.

He told me: "These days, I find the youth cup as one of those competitions that is great when you do well but you shouldn't beat yourself up too much if you get eliminated.

"And yet it still does represent, often the key target for most youth players and youth coaches.

"A few years ago we got to the final against Chelsea and the journey was a fantastic experience for all those involved."

I think that's a key thing to take from last night's loss - the result doesn't matter too much, it's the experience that counts, and Fulham certainly got their money's worth there.

There are a lot of talented youngsters in Fulham's Academy - the future is certainly bright at SW6.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-6-0-defeat-chelsea-14347421

WhiteJC

Newcastle loanee Aleksandar Mitrovic looking to prove his worth and fire Fulham to Premier League

The Serbian striker has scored twice in two games, with the latest coming in a 2-0 victory over league leaders Wolves at the Cottage

January 31, 2018 finally gave Fulham a weapon they've been crying out for in the past season and a half - a striker that has a presence in the box and score goals.

That weapon's name is Aleksandar Mitrovic, and two goals in his past two games has endeared him to the Craven Cottage faithful since his arrival from Newcastle United not a month ago.

Big, physical and with an eye for goal, the 23-year-old Serbian has added a new dimension to Fulham's attack, finally giving them an outlet to feed off the service provided by the likes of Ryan Fredericks, Matt Targett and Tom Cairney.

Mitrovic will be looking towards the World Cup in the summer, hoping to get there via SW6, but at the moment his sole focus is on the Cottagers, and the striker believes he needs Fulham as Fulham needs him.

He said: "My first target is to get promoted with Fulham directly first, if we can, the second thing is the World Cup.

"I will leave World Cup until the end of the season, but at the moment I'm really focused with Fulham, the team and my game and try improve in training and help the team every game I can.

"It's a good feeling to be here and I am looking forward to every game and I want to play and get on the pitch, this is the reason I'm here.

"I think Fulham needs me and I need Fulham, we both need each other and I'm really happy."

(Image: Paul Burgman)

Now Mitrovic is under the guidance of fellow countryman Slavisa Jokanovic, who managed Serbian side Partizan whilst the striker was coming through the youth ranks at the club.

The Fulham head coach and Mitrovic spoke over messaging app WhatsApp on Deadline Day after the striker's move to Anderlecht fell through, and after chatting with the recruitment team a move for the Newcastle man was sanctioned.

And the opportunity to work under Jokanovic was one of the main reasons he decided on a move to Fulham, even going as far as to say it's starting to 'feel like he's home'.

"We have a really good connection, we are from the same country and he was a really big player in Serbia and now he is one of the best coaches that Serbia has," he said.

(Image: Paul Burgman)

"This is one of the reasons why I came here - I know he will understand me and I will understand him and this style that he play at Fulham for two/three years is really good and a style that I think every striker likes.

"This is reason why I came and I'm really happy here, the team helped me in the beginning and I feel like I'm home and I really, really enjoy it here."

Despite dropping down to the second tier of English football, Mitrovic still backs his ability to score goals.

Having played in the Champions League with Anderlecht and in the top flight with Newcastle, Fulham's new striker still believes he can play and score amongst Europe's elite.

"Of course, I already played at that level, in my first season at Newcastle I scored ten goals as a 21-year-old," he added.

"Okay we got relegated but I think I showed people I can play that level, but this season I couldn't show because I didn't play a lot.

Europe's Elite: Aleksandar Mitrovic scores against Arsenal (Image: ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images)

"I know my qualities, I believe in myself and I know I have qualities to play not just Premier League, but Champions League level because I say I already played Champions League and Premier League and I saw how they play football and I know I have quality.

"But I'm not going to think about Premier League, I'm a Fulham player and focused on Fulham and every game here.

"I'm really happy after a long time, I'm on the pitch, for the first time I don't know how long I play 90 minutes and I really enjoyed the moment and I want to stay here and help Fulham get promoted.

"This is the only target in my head."

Talking to Mitrovic without the mention of Newcastle is near impossible, but after the Serbian completed his move to the Cottage Rafa Benitez challenged him to score 25 goals before his return to St James' Park.

Aleksandar Mitrovic of Newcastle United (Image: Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)

Of course, 25 goals before May is a bit far-fetched, and Mitrovic admits he will wait and see what happens in the summer with regards to his future in the north east, but his target for now is to continue scoring for his new side.

He said: "I don't think about Rafa, about Newcastle, I am a Fulham player, I'm here and want to get Fulham promoted - this is our target.

"My target is of course to score as many as I can, but first my target is to try help the team every day.

"Of course I wish Newcastle all the best, I hope they will stay in the league, they deserve it because they have a good team, good fans and a good manager.

"I hope they will stay in the league and in the summer we will see what happens but I'm happy here, focused here and looking forward to playing every game.

"My only target is to help Fulham to get promoted."

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-mitrovic-fulham-prove-worth-14334784

WhiteJC

Norwich Away Tickets

Tickets for Fulham's match against Norwich City on Friday 30th March (3pm) are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members and are limited to one per person.

The Whites travel to Norfolk this Easter with tickets priced at £30 for adults, £20 for over 65s and £15 for under 18s and £10 for under 12s.

Tickets go on sale to supporters with a Booking History on Monday 5th March before being released on General Sale on Wednesday 7th March.

Follow Fulham Away and secure your seat at Carrow Road today online, by telephone on 0203 871 0810 (Opt 1) or in person at the Fulham Tickets Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/february/28/norwich-away-tickets

WhiteJC

Former Fulham and Arsenal man Luis Boa Morte joins up with Sunderland's coaching staff

The former Fulham man has spent the past week helping Chris Coleman coaching, with a view to a permanent deal in the summer

Former Arsenal and Fulham man Luis Boa Morte has been helping former team mate Chris Coleman at Sunderland for the past week on his coaching staff.

The 40-year-old watched the 3-3 draw with Middlesbrough on the weekend having been coaching at the club for the previous week with a view to join them permanently in the summer.

According to Roker Report , that deal depends entirely on whether Sunderland avoid the drop to League One, which at the moment is looking unlikely.

He had previously been scouting for Arsenal but looks ready to make the move over to coaching should the opportunity arise at Sunderland with Coleman.

Boa Morte spent seven years in total at Fulham, helping the side win the Division One title under Jean Tigana with a total points haul of 101, before signing for West Ham in 2007.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-arsenal-man-luis-14348853

WhiteJC

Mile Jedinak reveals what he thinks gives Aston Villa the edge over Fulham and others in promotion race

Fulham are slowly catching up to Aston Villa, but Jedinak believes their togetherness gives them the edge over their rivals

Aston Villa midfielder Mile Jedinak believes his side's 'togetherness' will give them the advantage on Fulham and others in the race to promotion.

The Whites are four points behind Villa having beaten them comfortably at Craven Cottage, ending their seven game winning run but a 4-2 victory over Sheffield Wednesday last weekend has the Villa Park outfit feeling good about promotion again.

Steve Bruce has a done a fantastic job at turning Villa round from last season, and Jedinak believes the team are showing a lot of unity, both on and off the pitch, and that will give them the advantage over their rivals.

Jedinak told avfc.co.uk: "I'd say togetherness is the most important thing, which is something I've seen a lot of in this side.

"You only need to look at the scenes at the final whistle against Sheffield Wednesday.

"There's a lot of unity here, and not just among the playing squad. The fans are really buying into this team and there's a real mentality here now that we're one big family – from players and coaches to staff and supporters.

"Things aren't always going to go right and they're not going to be good all of the time. But you've got to persist and get yourself out of those little problems when you do hit them – which we did at the weekend.

"It's natural for things like that to happen, what's important is that you keep believing throughout them and we'll get to where we want to be.

Cantona-esque: Floyd Ayite takes in the celebrations at the Cottage after his 45-yard goal (Image: Ian Walton/PA Wire)

"The togetherness has definitely come on a lot since I joined the club 18 months ago. I've noticed when we do well now that there's a great feeling around the place – which is how it should be.

"We're entering the last stint of the season and you really want to feel that energy from all around the club. We'll feed off that buzz as players in any way we can to get ourselves over the line."

All that is well and good, but everyone in the division knows what Fulham are doing at the moment, having gone 12 unbeaten with victory over the league leaders on Saturday.

For the past 12 games, when fans have checked the final results they'll have seen another positive Fulham result, but Jedinak insists he doesn't pay that any attention.

Cantona-esque: Floyd Ayite takes in the celebrations at the Cottage after his 45-yard goal (Image: Ian Walton/PA Wire)

"The togetherness has definitely come on a lot since I joined the club 18 months ago. I've noticed when we do well now that there's a great feeling around the place – which is how it should be.

"We're entering the last stint of the season and you really want to feel that energy from all around the club. We'll feed off that buzz as players in any way we can to get ourselves over the line."

All that is well and good, but everyone in the division knows what Fulham are doing at the moment, having gone 12 unbeaten with victory over the league leaders on Saturday.

For the past 12 games, when fans have checked the final results they'll have seen another positive Fulham result, but Jedinak insists he doesn't pay that any attention.

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mile-jedinak-reveals-what-thinks-14349514

WhiteJC

Newcastle star targeting promotion with Championship club and World Cup place during loan spell

Aleksandar Mitrovic is targeting promotion to the Premier League and a spot in Serbia's World Cup squad before he returns to Newcastle in the summer.

Two goals in as many games have endeared Mitrovic to Fulham supporters and the 23-year-old is clearly relishing the chance to play at Craven Cottage under fellow Serb Slavisa Jokanovic after being frozen out at Newcastle by manager Rafa Benitez.

A stunning 20-yard strike in the 2-0 victory over Championship leaders Wolves increased in-form Fulham's chances of promotion and Mitrovic is hopeful of scoring the goals that will fire his new side back into the top-flight and secure a seat on the plane to Russia.

"My first target is to get promoted with Fulham directly first, if we can, the second thing is the World Cup," he told Get West London.

"I will leave World Cup until the end of the season, but at the moment I'm really focused with Fulham, the team and my game and try improve in training and help the team every game I can.

"It's a good feeling to be here and I am looking forward to every game and I want to play and get on the pitch, this is the reason I'm here.

"I think Fulham needs me and I need Fulham, we both need each other and I'm really happy."

Mitrovic's future at St James' Park will be reassessed when he returns to Newcastle in the summer with Benitez expected to try and offload the striker on a permanent basis.

https://nothingbutnewcastle.com/2018/02/blogs/newcastle-star-targeting-promotion-with-championship-club-and-world-cup-place-during-loan-spell/

WhiteJC

Games of interest for weekend 02-03/03

This weekends game see the whites travel to Derby County for another "top of table six pointer"

Following on from last weekends fantastic performance by the lads a win will see us leapfrog Derby into 4th place. Unfortunately(?) old favourite Chris Baird will be unavailable, due to suspension, for Derby. Still this will be another tricky game, which ones aren't? and our recent record against the Rams isn't too good, we've not beaten them in the last five games between us loosing twice and drawing three times,  however if Slaviša can get the team to maintain the incredible levels of concentration, performance and get his tactics across then both Aston Villa and Cardiff will know that they've a real struggle to stay ahead Fulham FC, roll on Saturday afternoon.

Sheffield United have forced their way back into the top six with their impressive 1-3 midweek away win at Reading, which means that Bristol City drop out of play-off places.

other games of interest this weekend include the Friday night clash between Middlesbrough and Leeds...

FRIDAY 2ND MARCH

Middlesbrough v Leeds

SATURDAY 3RD MARCH

Aston Villa v QPR

Bolton v Preston NE

Brentford v Cardiff

Bristol City v Sheff Wed

Shelf Utd v Burton

Wolves v Reading

COYWs

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=104

WhiteJC

Fulham duo Ryan Sessegnon and Slavisa Jokanovic should clean up at the London Football Awards

Here's why we think the Fulham pair should mop up at the London Football Awards tomorrow night

It's the London Football Awards tomorrow evening and it presents Fulham with another opportunity to mop up the gongs.

Last year, skipper Tom Cairney picked up the EFL Player of the Year award, beating off competition from Sone Aluko, Scott Hogan of Aston Villa, Alex Smithies of QPR and John Akinde of Barnet.

This year, Sessegnon is looking to take on the crown from his captain and keep the prize at Craven Cottage, while also adding the Young Player of the Year award to his name, and with 13 goals to his name in the league this season you wouldn't bet against him.

Meanwhile, Slavisa Jokanovic is up for the Manager of the Year award and he goes up against Emma Hayes of Chelsea Ladies, Roy Hodgson of Crystal Palace, Neil Harris of Millwall and Mauricio Pochettino of Tottenham Hotspur.

After taking the Whites to the Play-offs last season and mounting a promotion charge this time around, losing just twice in the last 16 games, the Fulham head coach has to be considered amongst the front runners for the award.

For me, Sessegnon has to win the EFL Player of the Year award.

He was phenomenal in his breakout season last year and has gone from strength to strength in this campaign, banging in 13 goals whilst being linked with the likes of Spurs and Manchester United.

He's one of the key men to Jokanovic's plans at the Cottage and is a vital cog in the unstoppable machine that seems to be Fulham at the moment - having more of an impact on games and teams than any of the others nominated.

(Image: Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

Add in his age to all he has achieved this year and you've got yourself your winner.

Speaking of his age, he goes up against Andreas Christensen of Chelsea, Ainsley Maitland-Niles of Arsenal, and Davinson Sanchez and Harry Winks of Spurs for the U23 gong.

Again, what Sessegnon has achieved in the last year gives him the edge over that category too, he's younger than all the others by some distance but is making the Championship look like his play toy.

Jokanovic has Fulham firing on all cylinders in one of the most difficult leagues in the world, and he hasn't just done that once, but twice if you take last season into account.

He's turned Fulham around and has them playing some of the best football in the division, he may have missed out on Manager of the Month for January, but surely he can't miss out on this?

https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-duo-ryan-sessegnon-slavisa-14350328

WhiteJC

NEWCASTLE: Fulham to push for permanent Aleksandar Mitrovic deal

SLAVISA JOKANOVIC has already made up his mind that he would like Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic at Fulham beyond this season – he just needs to deliver promotion first.

Mitrovic has scored two goals in five appearances since his loan switch to Craven Cottage, when the lure of playing for fellow Serbian Jokanovic outweighed the prospect of heading to Middlesbrough.

The 23-year-old was viewed as the ideal target-man to spearhead Fulham's promotion charge in the final few months of the campaign, and he has helped establish the Cottagers in the play-off places.

Fulham are now five points clear of seventh and have been installed as favourites to go up via the end of season shoot-out after a run of 12 league matches without defeat; winning nine of those since the defeat at Sunderland on December 16.

And Jokanovic would love to keep Mitrovic beyond this season's loan, even if he knows to stand a chance of keeping him the likelihood is that he will need to make sure Premier League football is secured - so he has more cash to spend.

Anderlecht have already hinted this week that they would still like to have him back in Belgium, where he was lured to Tyneside a couple of years ago for £14m.

He is also the sort of striker that fits the mould wanted by Tony Pulis at Middlesbrough, although he might have burned his bridges in terms of that move. There are also top tier clubs in France, Turkey and Greece keen.

Mitrovic will be keeping his options open until the end of the campaign, knowing Newcastle will still be looking for a fee for him with another two years to run on his deal at St James' Park.

"Of course I wish Newcastle all the best, I hope they will stay in the league, they deserve it because they have a good team, good fans and a good manager," Mitrovic said.

"I hope they will stay in the league and in the summer we will see what happens but I'm happy here, focused here and looking forward to playing every game. My only target is to help Fulham to get promoted."

Rafa Benitez made up his mind he no longer wanted to call on him, after 18 months of Mitrovic struggling to convince his manager that he deserved to start matches. After returning to the Premier League he barely figured for the Magpies.

Newcastle will head to Liverpool this Saturday still short of attacking options. The man who replaced Mitrovic in the squad, Islam Slimani, is not expected to return to action until the back end of March.

Dwight Gayle has been struggling with a hamstring niggle since Saturday's draw at Bournemouth, while Joselu is Benitez's alternative option ahead of the trip to Liverpool.

Midfielder Jonjo Shelvey is also looking to shrug off a knee problem in time to face his former club, although the fact he requires a scan suggests that an appearance at Anfield would seem unlikely.

But Shelvey, speaking in an interview with Premier League Productions, said: "You always want to go back to a former club and win and do well, for obvious reasons.

"It is an added incentive but at the end of the day you have to also just see it as another game, as you don't want the occasion to get to you.

"We picked up a good result when Liverpool came up earlier in the season but they are a fantastic team, with a fantastic manager, fantastic supporters, fantastic stadium ... everything about that club if fantastic.

"So it is going to be a tough place to go and play football - but it will be nice to go back there now the stadium is finished.

"Liverpool have got Champions League a few days later are through already (after winning 5-0 in Porto), so they might play a strong team (against Newcastle)."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/16055836.NEWCASTLE__Fulham_to_push_for_permanent_Aleksandar_Mitrovic_deal/

WhiteJC

Report: Newcastle's Aleksandar Mitrovic wanted long-term by Fulham

The Newcastle United-owned star is doing well at Fulham on loan.

According to The Northern Echo, Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is determined to keep Newcastle United-owned Aleksandar Mitrovic at Craven Cottage beyond this season.

The out-of-favour Newcastle man joined the Cottagers on a half-season loan in January after barely featuring in the Premier League under Rafael Benitez.

But so far it's been a successful stint in the Championship, with the Serbian - who cost £14 million in 2015 - netting twice in five outings to give Fulham a five-point cushion in the top six.

And The Northern Echo claims that Jokanovic - also a Serbian - wants to keep his compatriot in London.

The report goes on to add that Newcastle could also have offers from clubs in Turkey, Greece and France if a permanent move to Fulham doesn't work out, and it seems increasingly unlikely that he has any future on Tyneside.

Will Newcastle recoup their initial investment?

For obvious reasons, the Magpies will want to recoup as much of their £14 million outlay as possible, and it seems probable that Fulham will have plenty of money this summer.

Ryan Sessegnon has been linked with a £50 million switch to Tottenham recently and such a windfall might enable Jokanovic to succeed in a potential bidding war for the 24-year-old marksman.

But inconsistency dogged Mitrovic's lukewarm stint in the North-East, and failing to maintain his early promise at the Cottage might cause the promotion-hunting Whites to explore other targets.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/28/report-newcastles-aleksandar-mitrovic-wanted-long-term-by-fulham/

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: The Unbeaten Streak continues. 12 and Counting..

Five tough games welcomed Fulham in February, and after 3 wins and 3 draws the dream of finishing 2nd this season is still alive.

In my last article, I said we had to aim for 9-12 points from the four games against Bolton, Aston Villa, Bristol City & Wolves but we've only fallen short of that target by 1 point, and realistically it's been enough to keep us on our promotion charge.

Up to 59 points and despite Cardiff's win putting them 8 points ahead of us, when Fulham are in this sort of form, catching them up isn't as crazy as it sounds. Twelve games unbeaten in the league, and we are only getting better as a team.

After a tough first half against Wolves, Fulham turned the screw and got the two goals they deserved. Wolves made it tough for Slav's men by playing a back-five for most of the game, with the three centre-halves sitting deeper than normal, preventing the likes of Sess and Ayite from running in behind. To be honest, Wolves done a really good job of it for most of the game, but once Sess was the first to react to Mitrovic's parried effort, Wolves had to take the game to Fulham and it became an exciting game to watch. Jota went close, and Diego Cavaleiro looked a threat for most of the game, but Mitrovic's goal was tremendous.

Mitrovic held it up, and then turned Coady who had been a pain in his side for most of the game, and from about 18-20 yards beat John Ruddy at his near post. While this was an outstanding goal, it was proof of how important a decent target-man is for our style of play.

Rui Fonte doesn't have the nasty-side of the game needed for that role, and despite Kamara becoming a bit of a fan-favourite, he's still too raw of a talent to rely upon week-in, week-out just yet. Mitrovic played really well throughout the game, even if he cut a lonely figure up top on his own when we were under-pressure. He remained disciplined, and gave Boly and Coady a really tough evening, dropping short to link up with the wide men and busting a gut to make sure he was in the area when a cross was put in. A few pundits suggested that Mitro's still not 100% match-fit, and if that's the case he's going to unleash hell in our remaining games if he continues to get a run in the side.

There have already been a number of stand-out performances in recent weeks from certain individuals, but I have to take the time to applaud Matt Targett's work since joining our club in January. The Southampton loanee has settled incredibly quick at the club, and really embodies the quality you'd want from a modern full-back. His tenacity and understanding of the play in both ends of the pitch has really strengthened Slav's team in 2018.

For a young footballer, I've been really surprised with how calm and patient he is under pressure and he's not once forgotten about his defensive duties too – something that seems to happen with many full-backs these days.

While the chances of him signing on a permanent deal at the end of the season may be low, his arrival has proved to be invaluable. Finally, we have a top-quality left-back and at the same time it's allowed Ryan Sessegnon to be set free and really develop as a forward, something we're reaping the rewards from already.

Actually, the whole back four had a great game against Wolves, and it's now over 400 minutes since we last conceded a goal at home – a tremendous achievement by everyone and is vital to getting out of this division.

Ream and Kalas have seemingly built a stronger relationship over the last 2-3 months, and this coincides with Bettinelli's return to the side. While the Button or Betts argument seems to happen every day on social media, Bettinelli's return to the side has been a blessing. Yes, he's not the most talented footballer with the ball at his feet, but he's a much more commanding presence than Button. Betts communication and leadership from the back, helps keep the back four in place, and with Bettinelli much more adept at collecting crosses and commanding his area, there's no surprise the back four have also looked more solid in recent months.

Although, I've mentioned a few names above, it's exciting that we have so much strength in this squad, and have so many options to choose from. For example, Ayite was probably the player that shone the least against Wolves but Slav has the likes of Ojo, Piazon, Kamara, Kebano & Fonte waiting in the wings, if he wants to swap it around. Out of the choices, I'd probably use Piazon, Kebano or Kamara over Ojo and Fonte, as I feel they provide a lot more threat, even if Ojo had a good run of games earlier in the season.

But this is something, we've not really had in previous seasons, and even if Tom Cairney isn't 100% fit in the centre of the park at the moment, we can still call upon Oliver Norwood to deputise without seriously weakening our starting eleven – a factor that will be priceless for our promotion charge.

Having a squad to rotate and utilise for the final part of the season may well be the difference in the sides that get promoted, and those who miss out. This, will be highlighted when we have to play Derby on Saturday, followed by Sheffield United on Tuesday – this league is cruel.

Having to play two teams in the top eight, in just a few days will push the squad to its limits, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cyrus Christie deputise for Frederick's, just like the Bristol City game.

But, these are games that we have to win, especially with Derby sitting just above us, and despite Sheffield United's recent drop in form, they still have the quality to beat anyone in this division.

It may sound a bit greedy to demand six points from these two fixtures, but it would push us up to 3rd based on the other results, and close the gap on Cardiff in 2nd. While I'm still pinching myself to remind myself our unbeaten streak is actually happening, the hard work is only just about to start for Fulham. It's the business end of the season, and there's no time to take our foot off the pedal as we need to have near-perfect points total from the remaining fixtures to secure an automatic spot – I don't think I can deal with the nerves of the play-offs again!

It's been a tremendous couple of months, but we've got to keep going. The fans have been unbelievable, and the feeling around the club is incredibly positive. We've got to keep going on and off the pitch, and dreams may just come true!

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/2/28/17050904/the-craven-corner-the-unbeaten-streak-continues-12-and-counting

WhiteJC

Fulham will look to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic in the summer

Fulham are looking to sign the on-loan Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic on a permanent deal.

The Serbian has been very impressive for the Championship outfit since his loan move to Craven Cottage and Slavisa Jokanovic has decided to sign him permanently.

As per the reports, Fulham will make their move once the promotion is secured. Jokanovic knows that he will need more cash in order to sign players like Mitrovic and therefore securing promotion is imperative.

Mitrovic has scored twice in five appearances for the Londoners so far and he could play a vital role for them in the remaining games.

The Championship outfit are five points clear of the seventh place and if they can maintain their current form, they could be in the Premier League next season.

The Serbian had a torrid time at Newcastle United and it will be interesting to see whether he stays in England beyond this summer.

Mitrovic has been linked with a return to Belgium with Anderlecht.

http://sportslens.com/fulham-will-look-to-sign-aleksandar-mitrovic-in-the-summer/226293/

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur Ready To Spend Big On Versatile Fullback: Is He Worth The Fuss?

Tottenham Hotspur may have to work hard to retain their place in the top 4 this season but Mauricio Pochettino is already planning for the future. He is constantly on the lookout for star players, who can help improve the squad and one link that refuses to die is Fulham star Ryan Sessegnon.

Spurs Ready To Bid For Sessegnon

A transfer target for every top clubs in the country even at the start of the current season, the English teenager is currently making headlines at Craven Cottage and is considered one of the most exciting talents in the country at the moment.

Spurs have been leading the race for his signature but have not been able to convince Fulham to sell yet. But reports from Telegraph now claim that they are ready to make a £35m bid to land him at the end of the season.

It is reported that the price may be enough for Fulham to let him leave but Spurs will face competition from other clubs in the top flight. So should they go all in for him?

Who Is Sessegnon?

Having started his youth career with Fulham, the 17-year old broke into the first team under Slaviša Jokanović, who promoted him to the senior side back in 2016. He spent his first season establishing himself in the first team and is now one of the first names on the team sheet for the side.

After picking up five goals in 25 Championship appearances last season, Sessegnon has taken his game to the next level this season, scoring 13 goals in 34 appearances already. All these, playing on the left wing, as a full-back and also as a winger, shows his ability to help his side at both ends of the field.

He has played 19 games as a left-back, and eight as a left-winger, and has been equally productive and defensively solid in both positions. He is left-back by trait, with gifted technique, pace and dribbling abilities, that allow him to get the best of even the best of the defenders in the country.

He is strong and confident in his approach at the back and is hardly ever found out of position in defence while his ability to create chances with crosses from the back and to cut in and test the keeper, makes him a dangerous player.

At just 17, he is not too far away from a national call-up and is certainly ready for the top flight.

Chances At Spurs?

He is adept at playing as a winger, but Pochettino will want him to start in his natural left-back role, which is being hogged by Ben Davies and Danny Rose this season. Davies has enjoyed a fruitful time at the back since the turn of the year and may remain the first choice for the club for another season but Rose may not be at the club come next season, making Sessegnon a first team player straight away.

He is yet to play in the Premier League but has enough potential to have an immediate impact on the squad and the fact that he has the likes of Davies and Jan Vertonghen helping him settle in at Wembley, will only make him stronger and better.

Spurs need a left-back if they end up selling Rose and Sessegnon is definitely a prolific option. But at £35m, is he the right man for them?

http://madaboutepl.net/2018/02/tottenham-hotspur-ready-to-spend-big-on-ryan-sessegnon/

WhiteJC

Fulham is Derby County's biggest game since we beat Nottingham Forest, says Craig Ramage

The Rams take on the Championship's form team at Pride Park Stadium on Saturday

Craig Ramage says Saturday clash with Fulham could have a "massive bearing" on Derby County's season.

The Rams sit fourth in the Championship and have 12 games left.

They are seven points behind the second automatic promotion place currently filled by Cardiff City and have a six-points' cushion between themselves and Bristol City, who are just outside the play-off places.

Fulham will arrive at Pride Park Stadium as the division's form team.

They are unbeaten in 12 league games - nine wins and three draws - and they have defeated leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers and Aston Villa in their last two home fixtures.

Ramage, the former Rams midfielder and Derby Telegraph columnist, believes it is Derby's biggest game since they faced neighbours Nottingham Forest in October.

Derby had collected only 13 of 30 points and sat 14th at the time they faced Forest and a 2-0 victory sparked a run of four consecutive wins that lifted the Rams into the top six.

"This is our biggest game since Forest," said Ramage.

"Fulham are flying, they are full of belief and confidence, and a little bit reminiscent of us before Christmas. Everybody was talking about us then, now everybody is talking about Fulham especially after they beat Wolves at the weekend.

"They will come to Pride Park Stadium and they will have a real go. They have a way of playing, they have a lot of movement and a lot of pace.

"We are at a key part of the season, and that is why this is a key game.

"We can either beat them and move into a really healthy position in the top six, but if we lose then teams below like Sheffield United and Bristol City could close the gap on us to just two or three points.

"It is a massive game.

"The next four matches - Fulham, QPR, Forest and Cardiff - will determine where we are going to end up."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/craig-ramage-fulham-derby-county-1277403

WhiteJC

'I'm hoping they come to our place and underestimate us' - Derby County defender Curtis Davies on Fulham

The Rams have only managed to win one of their last nine league matches

Curtis Davies is hoping Derby County can "surprise" in-form Fulham when the sides meet in a promotion battle at Pride Park Stadium on Saturday (3pm).

The Rams are currently fourth in the Championship table, one place and one point above fifth-placed Fulham.

The West London outfit are unbeaten in 12 league matches, winning nine and drawing three - taking 30 points from a possible 36 since their defeat at strugglers Sunderland in mid-December.

Slavisa Jokanovic's men beat leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 at Craven Cottage last time out and also recently saw off third-placed Aston Villa.

In contrast, Derby have managed only one win in their previous seven league outings.

"This will be the biggest test we've had in a long while, based on our poor form and Fulham being the form team in the division," said Rams defender Davies.

"They're very much in form, they're always a difficult team to play, because they are a very good footballing team and very fluid in the way they play.

"But I'm hoping they come to our place and underestimate us, and think that we're in a bad rut so they can just take it easy. Then maybe we can surprise them.

"But this league is the weirdest league in the world, so nobody would put it past us to beat Fulham. We'll just have to wait and see."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/im-hoping-come-place-underestimate-1277002

WhiteJC

Championship 2017/18 Golden Boot Battle (1/3/18)

The season might only be a few months old in terms of the calendar, but with high expectations for some players when it comes to this year's Golden Boot battle - here's who stands out so far.

With a number of players already edging towards double figures, we'll have to see if anybody can better Chris Wood at Leeds United last season with his tally of 27, but they'll be a number of people who are hoping they can do just that.

There are more than enough games left for the table below to change so we'll just have to see what happens.

With all playing 34 games so far in the 2017/18 campaign I'll limit the list to those who are in the BBC's top table with eight or more strikes.

Top Championship Scorers 2017/18 So Far

No  Club  Player  Goals  Assists 
Derby County  Matej Vydra  17 goals  3 assists 
Sheffield United  Leon Clarke  15 goals  3 assists 
Bristol City  Bobby Reid  14 goals  4 assists 
Sunderland/Aston Villa  Lewis Grabban  14 goals 
Fulham  Ryan Sessegnon  13 goals  4 assists 
Aston Villa  Albert Adomah  13 goals  3 assists 
Wolves  Leo Bonatini  12 goals  5 assists 
Sheffield United  Billy Sharp  12 goals  4 assists 
Wolves  Diogo Jota  12 goals  4 assists 
Middlesbrough  Britt Assombalonga  12 goals  4 assists 
Hull City  Jarrod Bowen  12 goals  4 assists 

Read more: http://www.middlesbrough.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=523021#ixzz58U2yFf75

WhiteJC

Mason Appointed For Fulham Clash

Derby County's top-six Sky Bet Championship clash with Fulham on Saturday will be taken charge by Premier League referee Lee Mason.

Mason has officiated 19 games so far this term, mainly in the top flight. from which he has produced 48 yellow and three red cards, but this will be the first match involving the Rams that he has refereed.

The last Derby game he oversaw was in April 2016 when he was the man in the middle for the 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday.

Mason officiated two other games involving Derby that season, as well as, notably, the Play-Off Final defeat to Queens Park Rangers at the end of the 2013/14 campaign.

Mason will be assisted by Andrew Halliday and Daniel Leach on the lines, whilst Christopher Sarginson has been appointed as the fourth official.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/mason-appointed-for-fulham-clash

bobby01

Quote from: WhiteJC on March 01, 2018, 07:28:06 AM

The Craven Corner: The Unbeaten Streak continues. 12 and Counting..

Five tough games welcomed Fulham in February, and after 3 wins and 3 draws the dream of finishing 2nd this season is still alive.

In my last article, I said we had to aim for 9-12 points from the four games against Bolton, Aston Villa, Bristol City & Wolves but we've only fallen short of that target by 1 point, and realistically it's been enough to keep us on our promotion charge.

Up to 59 points and despite Cardiff's win putting them 8 points ahead of us, when Fulham are in this sort of form, catching them up isn't as crazy as it sounds. Twelve games unbeaten in the league, and we are only getting better as a team.

After a tough first half against Wolves, Fulham turned the screw and got the two goals they deserved. Wolves made it tough for Slav's men by playing a back-five for most of the game, with the three centre-halves sitting deeper than normal, preventing the likes of Sess and Ayite from running in behind. To be honest, Wolves done a really good job of it for most of the game, but once Sess was the first to react to Mitrovic's parried effort, Wolves had to take the game to Fulham and it became an exciting game to watch. Jota went close, and Diego Cavaleiro looked a threat for most of the game, but Mitrovic's goal was tremendous.

Mitrovic held it up, and then turned Coady who had been a pain in his side for most of the game, and from about 18-20 yards beat John Ruddy at his near post. While this was an outstanding goal, it was proof of how important a decent target-man is for our style of play.

Rui Fonte doesn't have the nasty-side of the game needed for that role, and despite Kamara becoming a bit of a fan-favourite, he's still too raw of a talent to rely upon week-in, week-out just yet. Mitrovic played really well throughout the game, even if he cut a lonely figure up top on his own when we were under-pressure. He remained disciplined, and gave Boly and Coady a really tough evening, dropping short to link up with the wide men and busting a gut to make sure he was in the area when a cross was put in. A few pundits suggested that Mitro's still not 100% match-fit, and if that's the case he's going to unleash hell in our remaining games if he continues to get a run in the side.

There have already been a number of stand-out performances in recent weeks from certain individuals, but I have to take the time to applaud Matt Targett's work since joining our club in January. The Southampton loanee has settled incredibly quick at the club, and really embodies the quality you'd want from a modern full-back. His tenacity and understanding of the play in both ends of the pitch has really strengthened Slav's team in 2018.

For a young footballer, I've been really surprised with how calm and patient he is under pressure and he's not once forgotten about his defensive duties too – something that seems to happen with many full-backs these days.

While the chances of him signing on a permanent deal at the end of the season may be low, his arrival has proved to be invaluable. Finally, we have a top-quality left-back and at the same time it's allowed Ryan Sessegnon to be set free and really develop as a forward, something we're reaping the rewards from already.

Actually, the whole back four had a great game against Wolves, and it's now over 400 minutes since we last conceded a goal at home – a tremendous achievement by everyone and is vital to getting out of this division.

Ream and Kalas have seemingly built a stronger relationship over the last 2-3 months, and this coincides with Bettinelli's return to the side. While the Button or Betts argument seems to happen every day on social media, Bettinelli's return to the side has been a blessing. Yes, he's not the most talented footballer with the ball at his feet, but he's a much more commanding presence than Button. Betts communication and leadership from the back, helps keep the back four in place, and with Bettinelli much more adept at collecting crosses and commanding his area, there's no surprise the back four have also looked more solid in recent months.

Although, I've mentioned a few names above, it's exciting that we have so much strength in this squad, and have so many options to choose from. For example, Ayite was probably the player that shone the least against Wolves but Slav has the likes of Ojo, Piazon, Kamara, Kebano & Fonte waiting in the wings, if he wants to swap it around. Out of the choices, I'd probably use Piazon, Kebano or Kamara over Ojo and Fonte, as I feel they provide a lot more threat, even if Ojo had a good run of games earlier in the season.

But this is something, we've not really had in previous seasons, and even if Tom Cairney isn't 100% fit in the centre of the park at the moment, we can still call upon Oliver Norwood to deputise without seriously weakening our starting eleven – a factor that will be priceless for our promotion charge.

Having a squad to rotate and utilise for the final part of the season may well be the difference in the sides that get promoted, and those who miss out. This, will be highlighted when we have to play Derby on Saturday, followed by Sheffield United on Tuesday – this league is cruel.

Having to play two teams in the top eight, in just a few days will push the squad to its limits, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see Cyrus Christie deputise for Frederick's, just like the Bristol City game.

But, these are games that we have to win, especially with Derby sitting just above us, and despite Sheffield United's recent drop in form, they still have the quality to beat anyone in this division.

It may sound a bit greedy to demand six points from these two fixtures, but it would push us up to 3rd based on the other results, and close the gap on Cardiff in 2nd. While I'm still pinching myself to remind myself our unbeaten streak is actually happening, the hard work is only just about to start for Fulham. It's the business end of the season, and there's no time to take our foot off the pedal as we need to have near-perfect points total from the remaining fixtures to secure an automatic spot – I don't think I can deal with the nerves of the play-offs again!

It's been a tremendous couple of months, but we've got to keep going. The fans have been unbelievable, and the feeling around the club is incredibly positive. We've got to keep going on and off the pitch, and dreams may just come true!

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/2/28/17050904/the-craven-corner-the-unbeaten-streak-continues-12-and-counting

Personally I can't disagree with any of this, good article.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.