watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

And this weeks book of the week is?

Started by FatFreddysCat, February 05, 2010, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFreddysCat

Escape by some Aussie fella called David Mcmillen. About some bloke caught smuggling herion from Thailand. Only halfway through the book, but it's very good. Oh yeah forgot to mention he's the only Westener to escape from the Bangkok Hilton.Nowhere near as good as Midnight express or Pappilon, but well worth a read. And yes i know there isn't a book of the week, but there should be.

KCat

Feck Fred !!!   you must be the the best read gezzer in Northolt   ............
this post  is going to ruin your  cred with,  Donna and Stella and I see Olive has now joined your possy  

With books like this one,  I find that I cannot get past the notion:  '' What a dumb-ass !!!
 drugs  and Thailand........  HELLLLLLLLL NO !!!
.......he clearly could not read BEFORE his arrest ......why can he write after it  ??????

My recommendation is:
Jon Krakauer's Where Men win Glory

about Pat Tillman  the guy who joined the army and turned down a contact to play Pro football .............gives a good handle on Afganistan

And yes .. there should be   a BOTW

FC Silver Fox

Great idea for a book of the week section.

(missed you last week Kcat, darling.)
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

finnster01

I second Mr Freddy and Mr FrenchFox on that. I think it is an absolutely terrific idea. I fly a lot, and often find myself aimlessly walking about the bookstore looking for something to read. It would be good to have something to actually look for ex-ante
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on February 06, 2010, 12:29:41 PM
Great idea for a book of the week section.

(missed you last week Kcat, darling.)

You should aim between the shoulder blades, hard to miss....sorry I mean  DVD of the week. Film of the week could be incorporated? I am too slow to read a book a week :)
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Chopper

Think this sounds like a great idea - I've picked up a few good suggestions from TIFF in the past. Not that I need any more to choose from, my reading pile is too big already, but I'm always interested in hearing what people think.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

richie17

good recent reads:

Non-fiction

David Remnick:  King of the world (bio of Mohammad Ali, bits on Liston, Patterson, etc - really great stuff)
Paul Kingsnorth:  Real England: The battle against the bland
Phil Ball:  Morbo, a History of Spanish football
Anything by Tom Hodgkinson:  How to be Free, how to be Idle, etc

Fiction's generally too personal (we all have very different ideas) but there's a lot of good stuff out there. 

If anyone's stuck for ideas, I'm keeping track of reading since January 2009 here:  http://www.librarything.com/catalog/richallen7

Chopper

Rich - Experience has shown me that when talking about fiction (or music, football, films and TV) I am right and everyone else is wrong. I'm yet to discover an exception to this rule.  ;)
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

YankeeJim

An excellent read just out in paperback is "The Next Hundred Years" by George Friedman. It's his predictions for, you guessed it, the next 100 years. He runs an outfit called Strafor which specializes in strategic planning for large corporations and some governments. He bases his predictions on economics and history. He is not some bloke just pontificating but puts a lot of factual thought into it. Quite good.

Oh!....and Freddy can read. Who woulda thought?   ;D
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.